“The rudest restaurant owner in Europe.”
Review of Lela's Taverna Restaurant - CLOSED

Lela's Taverna Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: "Layla's has occupied the same site in Kardamili for over twenty years. Layla is very old now but is helped in the restaurant by her chldren and grandchildren. The restaurant is in a lovely 19th century building and has outside seating on a terrace just above the sea - the sunset view is incredible. The terrace is topped with vines and surrounded by red blooms. The food is traditional greek with an emphasis on local classics; potatos baked with rosemary, chicken baked with lemon and thyme, spiced sausage, fried courgettes etc. I have been going to Kardamili for years and this is the best place to eat".
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The owner of Lela's is a total disgrace for Greek hospitality.he takes advantage of the good location of his restaurant and he is extremely rude to his costomers. We asked him politely whether we could sit in a certain table that we just saw the people siting there asking for the check and he answered: "I will be the judge of that and only if I say so you will sit there" we told him that this is why we asked him in the first place and that he could respond in a more polite way and he answered that "you will not tell me how to do my job"!!!!... Need I say more? The man is in a primitive stage. STAY AWAY

2  Thank Evangelia-anna

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I fell in love with this wonderful little taverna in one of the most beautiful spots to watch the sunset. With wooden tables and chairs right next to the sea and the menu on a blackboard containing different daily dishes, this taverna is beautifully Greek in every way!

We visited Lela's twice and on both occasions we had a fantastic evening; I went for the beef stifado on my first visit which was superb and the prawns in feta and tomato on my second visit was one of the nicest dishes I had all holiday.

A beautiful little taverna that is a must when visiting Kardamili!

1  Thank HellasWales
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Imagine - a terrace by the sea, the sound of waves gently lapping on the rocks below, oleander, vines and red geraniums, the sun slowly setting beyond the headland. Then add to all this tzatziki, tomato salad, meat balls, stuffed tomatoes, wine, coffee and Metaxa. That is Lela's Taverna.

1  Thank Samuel007
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The passenger next to me on the flight from Gatwick to Kalamata was on his way to a 10 day holiday in the Peloponnese and he mentioned that he intended to visit Kardamili. I suggested that he should try Lela’s as somewhere good to eat while he was there. I was rather taken aback when he replied that he knew about it and said that recent web reviews claimed that it was overrated and expensive.

With his comments in my mind we ate at Lela’s half way through our stay in Kardamili. At this point I should probably say that I’m predisposed to favour this establishment. First, I have been several times before and have always enjoyed it very much - my favourite restaurant in the village. Second, I’m drawn to it because Lela was the housekeeper to Patrick Leigh Fermor, one of my literary heroes, and going there feels like making just the faintest of connections with the man himself.

The unchanging setting is still one of the best in Kardamili and is perfect for outdoor eating as the sun sinks over the Gulf of Messenia. It’s worth noting that there is very limited space to eat undercover, so dress accordingly if it’s likely to be chilly at the beginning and end of the season.

The blackboard menu offered 14 salads and starters from 3.50-10.00 euros and 13 mains from 5.00-14.00 euros. Surely not too expensive. Vegetarians were catered for pretty well.

We opted for the ‘Mix of starters’, which proved to be a good sharing plate for two. Mains: B went for artichokes and vegetables (a bit vinegary, and possibly not a good choice out of season); S had stuffed tomato and green pepper (generous portions and tasty); and N and I went for slow roast lamb and potatoes (as delicious as ever). Dessert was a complementary piece of honey cake, just right in sweetness and size to round off the meal.

But still no coffee! And this reflects the one downside of Lela’s: something about it seemed to discourage lingering long over a meal. It’s not that the staff were pushy – the service was fine – it just seems to be something in the culture of the place. Lela’s is by no means alone in this among Kardamili’s restaurants.

Despite the received views of the man in seat 14C, Lela’s lived up to my expectations and if it’s not the best restaurant in Kardamili it’s still my favourite. But with the Lela sitting there watching over proceedings, how could I think otherwise?

1  Thank Brian_Human
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Fabulous oceanfront location, limited menu but we loved what we ordered, especially the lamb with lemon sauce. We went back two days later for the lamb but alas it wasn't available so we had pork instead, which was good but it was no lamb;-) Good service and friendly owner, can get a bit hectic when busy.