“Lovely room, perfect location, amazing owner, great deal - Stay Here!!”
Review of Pension Isabo

and 1 more site!
Pension Isabo
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Nafplio
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Pension Isabo is located right in the heart of Old Town Nafplion - you are a few minutes away from literally everything. Rooms are a great size and ours (the attic room) had a small balcony, which I was able to read on every morning. Everything is very clean and yet there is still a rustic feel from details like the exposed wood cieling beams. There is a small kitchen that is kept fully stocked for your use 24 hours a day - cheese, bread, poundcake, teas, coffees, juices, marmalades, mineral water, etc. You can also keep things in the refrigerator if you want. There is also free wi-fi in the rooms and a tv that gets many different channels.

Costas and his wife could not be more welcoming, happy people. They own the store beneath the Pension so are always on hand if questions come up or you need advice on a restaurant or local activities to hit up. Costas is incredibly helpful and just the nicest person around.

Other reviewers have noted it is hard to find. We had zero issues - just follow the instructions listed and you will arrive with no problem. Could not be easier.

This must be the best value in town. Extremely reasonably priced for a great, great room with wonderful service. And it simply couldn't be in a more prime location! Highly recommend staying here!! Nafplion is fantastic and a must visit on your stay in Greece.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank roxylass

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Not a lot of luxury, but very clean and neat. The location was very good, you are in the middle of shops and restaurants. This pension is great for those who won't expect to much of their rooms. Rooms are basic, but with all comfort you need. We stayed 3 nights in the "big" attic room, with balcony. We had a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LoJoAntwerp
Reviewed 25 September 2009

After we booked Pension Isabo we recieved an email from Kostas, the owner, welcoming us and letting us know if we needed anything that we should ask. He and his son Yiannis were extremely helpful! Our ferry had gotten cancelled for a later date and they called and talked to multiple people to help us get a new one. My wife got food poisoning the night before we were to leave and was barely able to move. When they found out she was sick while I was checking out, the whole family came out to check on her. Kostas walked us to a pharmacy and Yiannis helped me change my bus tickets for that day a 2nd time (The ticket agents are surly and I seriously doubt they would have let me change it if he weren't there). One of the attic rooms wasn't going to be used until 6pm so they let her sleep and rest all day in the bed free of charge after cleaning it and came back to clean it again after we finally left (attic room was nice but much smaller).
Our room (#1!!!), was very large, comfortable, and clean. We had two balconys overlooking the street. There's cake, bread and jams for breakfast along with coffee and tea in the kitchenette along with free waters. There's a fridge in your room and in the kitcheonette. You control the air conditioner which worked very well. The shower head was high and had great pressure.
As some have said, it's not very easy to find from their map (it's on the corner), but all the pensions in town have small, quaint signs so I imagine they may not be much easier to get to. It's a three minute walk from the bus station if you know where it is.
My only gripes (and I almost don't want to say anything bad), is that if your room is next to the kitchenette, you may get woken by the people making breakfast. Given our room, it was still worth it. And when you take your keycard out the electricity in the room turns off. We're not sure but the food in the fridge may have gone bad causing my wife's sickness (we shoulda thought of that).
There's only 4 rooms. If you want a nice cozy place, I definitely recommend Pension Isabo!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BigJimSlade72
Reviewed 10 September 2009

A nice little place ONCE YOU FIND IT. Don’t know what it is with some Greek hotels but when you email them for directions they refer you to the really crappy map on their website. It’s only a five minute walk from the port (where you park) but if you don’t know which street to take it can be hard to fine. From about the middle of the long narrow port parking lot, look for Sofrani street leading into the old town, it changes it’s name to Terzaki after a few blocks but just keep walking on that street and you’ll see the Pension Isabo signs on the corner. The room was fine, a little run down but quite clean, AC, TV. There’s a little kitchenette with juice, bottled water, makings for coffee, tea, frappe as well as bread and jam, etc. And you can store stuff in the fridge. All this is available all day, not just at breakfast time. They have wi-fi but signal strength was so low we could never connect.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Isabel_2
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Spent 4 nights in Pension Isabo in Nafplio - highly recommended for a chill out. Ask for the attic room, spacious enough with largest balcony

Very welcoming, friendly and helpful family run guesthouse. Self serve traditional Greek breakfast every morning - took upstairs to our outside balcony with a view of the town and castle. Fresh Greek bread, spreads, cake + greek coffee.

Cosy attic room, very comfortable and clean. Hotel right in the centre of old town, short walk to sights.

Travelled 3 weeks in Greece from Athens to Kalabaka, Delphi and Nafplio by train + bus. Connections good for Athens. Just be wary about bus frequency in and out of Nafplio to other Pelopenese island destinations. - some only run twice a week. Visit the original Argos! Easy 1/2 day trip to see old roman ruins

Perservever with the steep walk up to the castle - well worth the hike for the stunning views. Free castle entrance on bank holidays and Mondays

Sarah & Simon

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Strutt_aroundworld
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I wand to thank very much the owner of the hotel it was very friendly the hotel very nice clean and with 2 words just perfect
Young couple from thessaloniki

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank george029
Reviewed 4 June 2008

I worried plenty before arriving in Nauplio about whether I'd made the right choice. Budget was a prime concern, but I worried that the low rate I'd found would translate to low quality. I worried that I'd regret not paying more for a place higher up the hill. (My husband had no such worries; he was sick of steps.) I arrived and all my worries disappeared. I knew what sort of service we could expect when we called to say we were lost. Yiannis, the owners' son walked down to our location (only 3 blocks from the pension-were we embarrassed!), hopped in the back seat and directed us to the pension, sticking around long enough to make sure my husband's WiFi connection worked. Yes, there was WiFi; my husband was in hog heaven. Street parking is a rare animal in Nauplio, so we parked at the port, just a 2 - 3 minute walk away. The room and bathroom were both quite small, but beautifully decorated, with plenty of natural light from the long, tall windows. And the shower was enclosed with a fixed anchor overheard and plenty of hot water. Heaven! The room had it's own control for it's own hot water heater, so hot water was never an issue.

There are only 4 rooms at Isabo and the price varies with the size of the room along with length of stay and season. We were in one of the two small rooms, and ours had no balcony. I briefly saw the room across the way: quite spacious, with a nice balcony. I believe the rate was 10 Euro over what we paid. (I might spring for the larger room were I to return.) The two top rooms would give you lovely views, but involve a short, but steep climb up the stairs.

The disadvantages to Isabo (neither of which would stop me returning) include the lack of a public area to relax in (though when you've got the whole of Nauplio, who needs a hotel lobby?) and the lack of a sea view (though my husband gladly gave that up not to have to climb to his room and I simply went out wandering the higher haunts while he stayed home with his internet). Positives included several services not usually found in a budget place: the WiFi that made my husband so happy, fresh towels daily, a small package of amenties including a sewing kit, and the ability to pay by credit card.

A simple self-serve breakfast is provided at no extra charge in a small landing with a refrigerator, sink, and kitchen supplies, but no seating area. Those in rooms with balconies would eat on their balconies; we ate off a folding tray provided in the room. Always available were bread from a local bakery with typical Greek spreads (honey, butter, marmalade, tomato paste, and olive oil and oregano), cookies, cake, packaged juices, bottled water, packaged yoghurt or cheese, and all the makings and equipment for several types of coffee and tea. Written, illustrated instructions were provided for making mountain tea, Greek coffee, and frappe. I loved starting my day with a mountain tea and bread with olive oil and oregano or tomato paste. A few pieces of cheese rounded out with some oranges I'd purchased at a road side stand and I was fine. My husband loved 24 hour access to free caffeine. (Our last day, I even managed to make him a half decent cup of Greek coffee.) Given a choice, I would probably prefer this sort of 24 hour access to light snacks to a larger, one shot breakfas, but others might want something more substantial.

And of course, there were the owners themselves. Yiannis had already proved himself a hero by finding us and connecting us to the net. Kostas, his father, was one of the most effusive men I met in Greece, always glad to offer help and advice. The morning we left for Delphi, he called to find out what times the ferry would be crossing the gulf. He and his wife operate two shops just around the corner from the pension, so while there is no desk staff (and no desk!) at Isabo, help is literally just around the corner.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank snullr