“Nafplio- An ancient town where the past blends beautifully with the present”
Review of Nafplio

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Jaipur
262 helpful votes
“Nafplio- An ancient town where the past blends beautifully with the present”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

When we were planning our annual vacation and had just 2 weeks we wanted to make the most of it. Discussing with friends and reading a lot we realized that most people with so little time in Greece prefer to stick to the Cyclades and Athens.

Somehow i wanted a more enriching experience of Greece and just islands wouldn't have given me that. After reading a lot I found, Nafplio was the first capital of Greece and is rich in terms of heritage. So there I was spending the last bit of my vacation at Nafplio.

We drove from Athens airport to Nafplio and the drive itself was great. We made the first stop at Corinth Canal and then on drove non-stop. It took us a total of 4 hours to reach our hotel. We checked in left our bags and went out to make the most of the rest of the day. We started with going to the waterfront of Nafplio. There is a huge car park and the area is lined with many taverns and eateries. The sight is very charming. The food was very different than what we had in The Islands.

Lunch was easily available till 5p.m. All the taverns in the port area take you to the kitchen and show you the day's special if you do not like what you see then you may order from the menu. The great part about Nafplio is although its a quaint little town with an ancient feel but it is buzzing till late. People in this town start having dinner by 12:00 a.m. and the music bars as well as taverns and restaurants are buzzing till 1:30 a.m. weekday or weekend.

There is a small toy train that is great for getting oriented to the city . It starts from the sea front and in 20 minutes takes you all around the important sites and monuments. This was great for orientation and then one can explore in detail by foot! The train is not a hop on- hop off so you just sit and listen to the announcement system and get oriented to all the important sites and later can explore each at your pace.

Other things that we really enjoyed doing at Nafplio was walking the promenade and watching sunset at the evening, Strolling the alleys full of colourful shops and buildings and bougainvilleas and going into little souvenir shops, People watching at the syntagma square, enjoying a couple of drinks at the many music bars/cafes by the seafront, views from The Palamidi, day excursions to Tolo, Epidavros and Ermioni and the nearby Cave churches of Didima.

All in all if I had not come to the mainland I wouldn’t have really gotten to experience Greece in totally. Islands are very different and commercial it is ancient towns like nafplio that gives a peek into a Greek culture and traditions. Nafplio hardly had foreign tourists when we visited. It was full of local tourists and we got to see a very different side of Greece life in this beautiful, charming little town.

Townsville, Australia
44 helpful votes
“Nafplion - treaure of the Peloponessos”
Reviewed 27 November 2010

What a wonderful place to spend some time in! Everything from a quiet relaxing sojourn to a full on everything tourist type of holiday. We were there at the start of winter, so no problems with rubbing elbows with thousands of other tourists. Nafplio is well placed to visit all the major historic sites in the region, as well as other centres of interest, like Argos and Tripoli. The restaurants and cafes are plentiful and excellent, shopping is available for everyone from the bargain hunter to the upmarket fashion follower. Go to Nafplio, stay awhile and immerse yourself in the culture.

1 helpful vote
“My favorite place in Greece”
Reviewed 16 October 2010

As an amateur photographer I found Nafplion to be a paradise! From the aqua blue water to the narrow, flower covered streets, there was nothing that I did not like about it. I would love to return. My visit took place in mid-September, and the weather was still pleasantly warm. My family and I greatly enjoyed strolling up and down the streets, shopping and taking photos. It was very picturesque! The locals were very friendly and the food was delicious. You can stroll up and down the pier, peruse the shops, or you can simply sit back and relax with a cup of espresso in one of the many lounge areas over-looking to sea. It was definitely my favorite place in Greece.

Reno, Nevada
66 helpful votes
“Fun mini trip from Athens”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Great fun! The locals are extremely nice and helpful. Beautiful beaches and a fun night-life! I was surprised how inexpensive it was here. Such a cute place!

Nevada
“One of our favorite cities in Greece”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Nafplion is a small town located in the Peloponnese in Greece. Our guide book had recommended this city, but also gave us some bad advice so we weren't quite sure what to expect. Nafplion didn't disappoint. It has a cool ambiance to it. The city has two large castles that sit high above the city. And a miniature castle on an island outside of it. We walked around the city at night, checking out the cool shops, and had some amazing gelato at the square. It was a good stay.

We headed there from Olympia which was about 7 hours of traveling time. The train didn't connect the cities and we had to take a bus followed by a train to get there. If you are interested in visiting Nafplion I recommend going there from Corinth.

Been to Nafplio? Share your experiences!