“Disappointing Stay..!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Fahan B&B and Inns
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Stay..!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I rarely feel the need to write a review, but on this occasion I think I need to.
I have mixed feelings about my stay at The Red Door over Easter 2014.
I have worked in the Hotel industry for 26 years, so not easily bluffed.

Restaurant & Food:
I booked my stay on line only 2 days before my stay, there was nowhere to book a table reservation on the booking form, so for 2 days I was calling but never got a reply.
On arrival I was informed that if we wanted to eat it had to be before 6.30pm as no table was available after that time. This is not acceptable service, if I'm spending 120 Euro on a room, I at least expect to be able to dine when I choose.

On the whole I thought the meal was okay, if not a little expensive for what it was.
It was well cooked and tasty, the kitchen team know what they are doing and the service was quick and efficient.
If I was just reviewing the food I would score it a good 3-4 star average.

Accommodation:
We stayed in the Le Damask room, described as;
Classic and contemporary blend effortlessly in Le Damask with its elegant damask wallpaper and sophisticated cream furniture. This classic hotel room has everything you need to relax or work and is especially good for business guests.
I think Le Damask is a old room in need of some major refurbishment, with its old furniture in need of replacement, broken glass draw handle on bed side draw.
But the highlight has to be the bathroom, when I first opened the door my jaw dropped, it can only be described as hideous.
The room was extremely hot, and the window didn't open enough to cool it down, it is also right above the bar so very noisy, don't expect any sleep till it closes. We were woken up on Sunday morning by loud country music being played in the restaurant.

To sum up, I was very disappointed with my stay :(

9 Thank O42OXdavidb

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The red door hotel is absolutely lovely. Attention to detail is great. The staff were fab! My boyfriend and I got engaged when we stayed here and the staff were just as excited as us!! Really fantastic and cosy for a wintry stay! The food was also great!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heatherdx
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had such a lovely relaxed stay here for my boyfriend's birthday. Beautiful location and scenery and what really made our stay so pleasant was the staff. They were so helpful friendly and available. I would definitely highly recommend staying here and will be back.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Siobhany1983
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Well 2013 is a year Una and myself certainly will not forget, the highlight of which, obviously was our wedding at the Red Door. We had spent some time researching venues and while the Red Door was always high up on our list of potentials, once we actually went to chat to Leanne, Francis and the team nothing else could compete. Everything from the size, to the setting to the laid back atmosphere; never mind the exclusivity of the venue just suited us perfectly.
Essentially the Red Door is involved in helping plan your day as much or as little as you want, nothing is too much trouble and they are more than happy to step back and let you get creative with your day. We had a truly personal day, that allowed us to focus on our close family and friends; after all what is your wedding day if you cant share it with the nearest and dearest!
In the run up to our big day, Francis and the team where behind the scenes organising all the last minute details we just didn't have time for. Their expertise meant we could trust the team to all the final preparations; which was the calming influence we needed.
In terms of the day itself at the Red Door; nothing went wrong, the whole day passed by without a hitch. The quality of the facilities are second to none, the food was of the highest standard; everyone was even offered seconds of the beef as the kitchen produced too much, this was certainly, gratefully accepted by a few of the guests. Unique to the Red Door each wedding has exclusive access to the venue, our guests could relax and mingle and the atmosphere was more a relaxed family party than a formal function. Once the day is done and the last guests had raised their glasses any staying retired to their bedrooms. Each its own distinct personality, meticulously maintained and perfect for resting our weary dancing feet.
This intimate wedding was exactly what we set out to accomplish and for certain the most memorable day our lives wouldn't have been possible without the Red Door.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Damien M
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Lovely hotel and surroundings, quiet, private setting, amazing views, great spacious rooms. Dinner was excellent with a great choice and the breakfast was faultless. Ate in the restaurant, superb food and service. if you are looking for peace and quiet, then this is the place to go.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank catNI1234
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here in August . I was delighted with it for every second of my stay. The place itself is lovely, very quaint, and beautifully decorated and our room was lovely. The food was delicious, modest portions but very nice and the staff were very nice and friendly. The only downside was an issue we had with our bill, upon returning home I discovered that they had not credited my gift voucher against the bill, and had charged us full price. This was remedied, but it took 3 phone calls to get satisfaction which was really not in keeping with the level of service I expected based on our stay there. But I still would highly recommend it and would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My boyfriend booked here as a surprise for my birthday, and I couldn't have asked for more. The room was beautiful and the setting is stunning. We ate from the early bird menu in the evening which was fantastic and the staff were really helpful. Looking forward to visiting here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karen g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fahan
Rathmullan House
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to The Red Door Country House? Share your experiences!