“Friendly famliy hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thurles
“Friendly famliy hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and i stayed here in october for our anniversary. Front of house staff are welcoming and friendly. The bar and foos staff were like wise very nice chatty and good fun.

We stayed for two nights amd enjoyed the the leisure facilities. The pool,sauna and steam rooms were excelent. Towels and caps are provided free of charge.

The rooms were well layed out and very clean and modern while the hotel still keeps its old world charm.

The food very nice and tasty. Enjoyed a meal on both nights. Staff are attentive and very helpful.

Would recommend a stay at this wonderful 4 star hotel to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for the weekend in November, after purchasing an offer on a deal page. We were greeted by very friendly ladies at the reception, who were very welcoming. We were give a room on the first floor, which we were slightly disappointed with. The photos on their website showed beautiful, modern rooms. Our room was quite old-fashioned, as if they had left it out when they updated the rest of the hotel. It was located right next door to the laundry room which was quite annoying as we were woken very early in the morning with the noise! The room in General wasn't very sound proof, you could hear everything going on outside of it! Breakfast the next morning was great, full hot and cold buffet with very friendly staff! The coffee shop was also very impressive, with a wonderful choice of freshly baked goods! On the first night we went to chez Hans restaurant in cashel which I would highly recommend! And the second night we ate in the hotels restaurant. €25 for two courses was good value, the butternut squash soup was slightly watery, but the steak for main was very tasty!! Overall we had a great experience in the hotel. I would recommend pre-booking any treatments in the spa as they were booked up when we tried to book massages. The leisure centre and pool area is very nice!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spet6
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed there last weekend the 9th of November too the 11th, the hotel was lovely very modern and clean the woman at reception where friendly and helpful the food was gorgeous very tasty and fresh and the town is a small but sweet place. But on the Sunday evening me and my partner went down to use the pool and the woman at the reception there was very rude and sarcastic! Just because I didn't bring my towel back out when I was finished! If she has asked me to bring it back I would have, I just didn't think someone would want my used wet towel!! Also we where there 2 nights and we didn't even get house keeping they only knocked on the door to ask us if we wanted towels.I wouldn't recommended it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I Would just like to commend the staff at the Horse and Jockey Hotel in Thurles Co. Tipperary . They Made Our Weekend Stay At The Hotel A Memorable One . Mark Who Works In The Restaurant we Found Him Very Pleasant and Chatty , He couldn't Have Been more Helpful ! The Rooms at this Hotel Are Very Spacious , Comfortable And Modern , The Leisure Centre And Spa Was A Very Pleasant Experience , Ultra Modern And Spotlessly Clean .The Bar Was Very Busy And A Great Atmosphere , The Music we Found very enjoyable in A relaxed And Very Cosy Setting . I Would Like To Thank The Management of this little Gem For A Very pleasant Stay , and I would Highly Recommend This Hotel To Everyone , And I look forward to Spending more Weekend Breaks and This Beautiful Hotel ! Cheers See You Soon .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark C
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel with my friend and her family the staff were so helpful and courteous it had a lovely atmosphere the food was gorgeous plenty of choices , they made our stay really great . The only thing was if your looking for somewhere near shops this is not for you there is a little store next to hotel and that's it unless you drive into thurles which is only about ten mins away it was great to just relax unwind and not think of shops or anything

Room Tip: The rooms were spacious and comfortable we were on the second floor so it was really quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marrgo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I recently stayed here with my mother and sister for a one night stay. We were very well looked after from the moment we arrived at reception. The staff in the spa are so friendly. My mother was delighted with her spa treatment and really enjoed her stay. We had dinner in the bar as the restaurant was booked for a wedding reception. The bar staff were really nice and got a comfortable table set up for us. I would def stay here again. Thank you very much to all the staff that made our visit so pleasurable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just a note on a tripadvisor comment re Horse & Jockey It is a very good place to eat very central for all especially coming off the motor way. I use it always when on business trips from Cork to Dublin. What does that customer expect €237 for 7 people with 2 course meal and wine for €33.85 each that is excellent value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel
Ballykisteen Hotel and Golf Resort

Been to Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!