The Horse & Jockey Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
Hearn's Hotel(Clonmel)
Hotel Minella(Clonmel)
View Hotel
All reviewsgift shopsteakleisure centrecoffee barsuperior roomdelicious cakesgreat stopelemis productsthe pubboth nightslovely atmospheresteam roomlovely hotelreception stafffew drinksreception areasalmon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The long road from Cork to Dublin has only one redeeming feature, The Horse and Jockey!
Over the years it has been the background for some of my great memories, all Ireland Sunday's, powder rooms stops, last minute present shopping, caffeine boost .
I've had formal dinner with family and toasted sandwiches with friends.
Its second to none when you compare it to a sole-less chain hotel’s dotted around the country, I really found the staff here cared, and the food is from Tipp cooked my a Tipp man, how fantastic is that!!!!
It might be a busy place to eat but, sure that means you in the right place!!!!!. Any time I see a busy restaurant I’m delighted. Its not something to complain about!!!
Its hard to find someone who doesn't love the Jockey, but if I did, I’d recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Had a grate night sleep. Good dinner And breakfast was grate even coffee was perfect very bizzy place for a reason didnt realize these had to be so long of a review I would give them a 10 out of 10 gooood

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter w
Reviewed 16 January 2014

There is nowhere on the Dublin to Cork road that you would look forward to stopping at for food. This is as near as it gets and could be so much better. It hasn't made up its mind if its a bar for the locals or an eatery for travelers or a hotel.

Keenan's in Tarmonbarry is one such where the food is always a delight as is Matt the Thresher in Birdhill and they can still look after the locals. Both are well worth a diversion

This evening, a fillet steak at €25 came with a mushroom, onions and tomato and a side order of fries. The steak was exactly as ordered and very tasty. I had never eaten a tomato that tasted like cucumber before but the rest of the accompaniment was fine.

Service was slow. It took exactly an hour from leaving the car to returning. As I was on my own I couldn't blame the passengers! I wasn't asked at any stage if thinks were satisfactory. I had to hunt out condiments myself.

Overall, very pricey for adequate food. The Horse & Jockey suffers from a lack of competition in the 'anything but a sandwich bar' segment. There must be an opportunity for a culinary entrepreneur somewhere between Cork and Dublin.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank DonalDeGolfer
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stopped on our way to Cork for a bite to eat. The place was very busy. The staff were run off their feet. We grabbed a table when people left. It took some time to get someone's attention to give us menus and clear away the table. The food arrived promptly - all except my sister's paté dish, the paté arrived, but the toast came a fair while later. And such a small portion. The rest of us had paninis, but found the bread was very doughy and heavy. An okay verdict from all of us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Arrived at 5.50 pm with wife and 2 young children to bar restaurant for food. Asked for table from waitress who to be fair was busy but appeared to have little interest in assisting us. Found own table waited for waitress to return with menus as she had promised but no show. After 15mins went up and got menus. Further 20 mins no sign of anyone to take our order despite politely trying to get their attention! We left without having a chance to order.Complained with owner Tom [---] in bar who seemed more interested in entertaining a former Tipp hurler than helping to attain efficient service in his establishment. He then proceeded to insult me with a "couldn't care less "attitude. Given his ignorant attitude I can now empathize with his staff who appear demoralised. Anyhow barfood is overpriced compared to anywhere else in country and coupled with poor service makes for totally unsatisfying expeevidence.

• Stayed: December 2013