“Meeting overview”

The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Thurles
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I had a meeting in the hotel that lasted the full day in one of the meeting rooms. The room was so small you could barely move your elbows. I awaited a email fr reception and when it came I asked for it to be printed twice (only two pages). The lady at reception , Caroline , took an age to print it, looked at me with ten heads when I asked for the second copy and was more concerned about whether I was paying for this or not , all whilst I was on the phone. I felt bad (not) as I had limited her time on a personal call. Overall the efforts of some are bringing down the superb efforts of others (breakfast staff were excellent and very attentive throughout as were the lunch staff)

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Justin T
Tom054, General Manager at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for you review. In regards to our meeting rooms, we have a variety of meeting rooms available ranging in size to accommodate between 6 and 200 delegates. As your booking was made a couple of minutes prior to arrival you were allocated the last available meeting room which has ample space for 6 people.
The email that was requested from reception took some time to come into my inbox and was printed immediately when received. The delay either came from the sender or from a slow exchange,both of which are totally out of my control. However, when requesting something from me or any member of my staff, we do ask for the basic courtesy or pausing your mobile phone conversation whilst doing so.
Will pass on your compliments to the other members of staff.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a beautiful place to have a break and I am sorry that we could not stay for a longer period of time.My husband and I had a GrabOne Escape voucher and our experience was very worthwhile. The hotel is immaculate and the decor of a very high standard. A lot of thought has been given to the expectations of guests and the spa, leisure centre and swimming pool and surrounding facilities are a credit to all concerned .The bedrooms
are beautiful ,well equipped and comfortable and a lovely touch was the complimentary still and sparkling water supplied each morning .The buffet breakfast was enjoyable and well presented and although the selection was basic enough compared to other hotels we have stayed in, we really have nothing to complain about Our waiter at breakfast was excellent supplying us with hot milk for our coffee and honey with our porridge these little extras mean a lot and we would like to thank everyone concerned. We ate in the bar on our first night there and again the food was very good and service friendly. Perhaps the food is a little overpriced.
My one disappointment was with the reception staff whom I found to be disinterested and coldly efficient,completely unaware or the personal touch which is so important for setting the tone of an establishment((somewhere along the line they seem to have forgotten that the staff at the front desk are the ambassadors for the hotel). Had the receptionist been more approachable, our break would have been perfect and I will explain. We are a retired couple whose holidays now are confined to Ireland,since my husband suffered a massive stroke two years ago.We were in one of the first floor rooms(perhaps 323) a long distance from the lift for a stroke survivor I neglected to mention this when I was making the reservation, so I am not blaming the hotel for the situation My usual reaction would have been to talk to the hotel receptionist re same but on this occasion the lack of warmth and interest displayed by this particular staff member was not conducive to returning to the desk. On checking out another receptionist displayed the same lack of interest, failing to enquire if we had enjoyed our stay or if everything had been to our satisfaction. Surely this is basic reception courtesy. ( perhaps a refresher course is required to bring some members of the reception staff to a standard comparable to the rest of the hotel)However it would be ungracious of me allow two members of staff to detract from what is a great place to stay. Hopefully we will return

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IRISHMAGGIEN
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Room was a little cold upon arrival but could be adjusted within the room via thermostat. Beds were comfy although our bed seemed to be broken at the bottom and sloped down. No noise at night. Breakfast was brilliant. Lots to choose from and staff were once again very helpful. Good location. Ordered a taxi and it was on time and good price also.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The long road from Cork to Dublin has only one redeeming feature, The Horse and Jockey!
Over the years it has been the background for some of my great memories, all Ireland Sunday's, powder rooms stops, last minute present shopping, caffeine boost .
I've had formal dinner with family and toasted sandwiches with friends.
Its second to none when you compare it to a sole-less chain hotel’s dotted around the country, I really found the staff here cared, and the food is from Tipp cooked my a Tipp man, how fantastic is that!!!!
It might be a busy place to eat but, sure that means you in the right place!!!!!. Any time I see a busy restaurant I’m delighted. Its not something to complain about!!!
Its hard to find someone who doesn't love the Jockey, but if I did, I’d recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Had a grate night sleep. Good dinner And breakfast was grate even coffee was perfect very bizzy place for a reason didnt realize these had to be so long of a review I would give them a 10 out of 10 gooood

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter w
Reviewed 16 January 2014

There is nowhere on the Dublin to Cork road that you would look forward to stopping at for food. This is as near as it gets and could be so much better. It hasn't made up its mind if its a bar for the locals or an eatery for travelers or a hotel.

Keenan's in Tarmonbarry is one such where the food is always a delight as is Matt the Thresher in Birdhill and they can still look after the locals. Both are well worth a diversion

This evening, a fillet steak at €25 came with a mushroom, onions and tomato and a side order of fries. The steak was exactly as ordered and very tasty. I had never eaten a tomato that tasted like cucumber before but the rest of the accompaniment was fine.

Service was slow. It took exactly an hour from leaving the car to returning. As I was on my own I couldn't blame the passengers! I wasn't asked at any stage if thinks were satisfactory. I had to hunt out condiments myself.

Overall, very pricey for adequate food. The Horse & Jockey suffers from a lack of competition in the 'anything but a sandwich bar' segment. There must be an opportunity for a culinary entrepreneur somewhere between Cork and Dublin.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank DonalDeGolfer
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stopped on our way to Cork for a bite to eat. The place was very busy. The staff were run off their feet. We grabbed a table when people left. It took some time to get someone's attention to give us menus and clear away the table. The food arrived promptly - all except my sister's paté dish, the paté arrived, but the toast came a fair while later. And such a small portion. The rest of us had paninis, but found the bread was very doughy and heavy. An okay verdict from all of us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to The Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!