“Lunch; More then just a Nosebag......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horse & Jockey Hotel

Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thurles
Limerick, Ireland
“Lunch; More then just a Nosebag......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Had very Late Lunch here when Ireland were playing Italy and passing through..
Good clear signs that resteraunt was closed as it was late but that food was available in the bar.
Prompt attention from efficent & busy staff.
Simple clear menu with Special of the day stapled on....meant no fiddling around trying to decide.
Had the Bacon & Cabbage which was delivered quite fast and just right hot.
It tasted freshly home made and mash, carrots, cabbage with peas(worked well) and the shared chips were a pleasant surprise.
Couldnt ask for anything more...very pleased and would go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Loo99car
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
I am delighted you enjoyed your lunch and thank you for writing a review. I have passed on your compliments to the kitchen and waiting staff which gave them a little boast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed at in Ireland. Rooms have been refurb end and top top quality, very tasteful. Bathrooms stunning. Corridors have mood lighting and someone has put a lot of thought into it. Most corridors in hotels remind me of something out of the Shining, but not this one. Room price very reasonable and food superb, seamless and discreet service. Had a few pints in bar next door with my customer and there was a great atmosphere. It looks like an average motel from the main road, but don't be fooled . I will go out of my way to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PhilExport
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted to get such positive feedback.
I have passed on your compliments and look forward to seeing you again.
Shannon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

had a lovely stay - just a quick getaway with the hubby & kids - lovely staff - near to town & cinema - just a nice quiet break - spa & pool fab!!!! great options for eating in both pub grub & formal dining room - set menu very good

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and went to the trouble to write such a nice review.
Look forward to seeing you again
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

This hotel has a real relaxing atmosphere,it has a lovely spa, hair salon etc rooms are spacious, & extremely comfy beds, plenty of choice on food menus & food is delicious would definitely stay here again. Staff excellent & friendly.

Room Tip: Only saw view from our room which was the court yard. But as it is in the country I'm sure all r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tom054, General Manager at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your compliments to the rest of the staff. Look forward to welcoming you back again the future.
wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

we thoroughly enjoyed our weekend break in the hotel, the rooms were lovely ,food very tasty and a very cosy hotel. we had no bad comments at all and would not hesitate to go back or recommend our friends to this hotel..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanking you for your lovely review.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I had a meeting in the hotel that lasted the full day in one of the meeting rooms. The room was so small you could barely move your elbows. I awaited a email fr reception and when it came I asked for it to be printed twice (only two pages). The lady at reception , Caroline , took an age to print it, looked at me with ten heads when I asked for the second copy and was more concerned about whether I was paying for this or not , all whilst I was on the phone. I felt bad (not) as I had limited her time on a personal call. Overall the efforts of some are bringing down the superb efforts of others (breakfast staff were excellent and very attentive throughout as were the lunch staff)

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Justin T
Thank you for you review. In regards to our meeting rooms, we have a variety of meeting rooms available ranging in size to accommodate between 6 and 200 delegates. As your booking was made a couple of minutes prior to arrival you were allocated the last available meeting room which has ample space for 6 people.
The email that was requested from reception took some time to come into my inbox and was printed immediately when received. The delay either came from the sender or from a slow exchange,both of which are totally out of my control. However, when requesting something from me or any member of my staff, we do ask for the basic courtesy or pausing your mobile phone conversation whilst doing so.
Will pass on your compliments to the other members of staff.
N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a beautiful place to have a break and I am sorry that we could not stay for a longer period of time.My husband and I had a GrabOne Escape voucher and our experience was very worthwhile. The hotel is immaculate and the decor of a very high standard. A lot of thought has been given to the expectations of guests and the spa, leisure centre and swimming pool and surrounding facilities are a credit to all concerned .The bedrooms
are beautiful ,well equipped and comfortable and a lovely touch was the complimentary still and sparkling water supplied each morning .The buffet breakfast was enjoyable and well presented and although the selection was basic enough compared to other hotels we have stayed in, we really have nothing to complain about Our waiter at breakfast was excellent supplying us with hot milk for our coffee and honey with our porridge these little extras mean a lot and we would like to thank everyone concerned. We ate in the bar on our first night there and again the food was very good and service friendly. Perhaps the food is a little overpriced.
My one disappointment was with the reception staff whom I found to be disinterested and coldly efficient,completely unaware or the personal touch which is so important for setting the tone of an establishment((somewhere along the line they seem to have forgotten that the staff at the front desk are the ambassadors for the hotel). Had the receptionist been more approachable, our break would have been perfect and I will explain. We are a retired couple whose holidays now are confined to Ireland,since my husband suffered a massive stroke two years ago.We were in one of the first floor rooms(perhaps 323) a long distance from the lift for a stroke survivor I neglected to mention this when I was making the reservation, so I am not blaming the hotel for the situation My usual reaction would have been to talk to the hotel receptionist re same but on this occasion the lack of warmth and interest displayed by this particular staff member was not conducive to returning to the desk. On checking out another receptionist displayed the same lack of interest, failing to enquire if we had enjoyed our stay or if everything had been to our satisfaction. Surely this is basic reception courtesy. ( perhaps a refresher course is required to bring some members of the reception staff to a standard comparable to the rest of the hotel)However it would be ungracious of me allow two members of staff to detract from what is a great place to stay. Hopefully we will return

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IRISHMAGGIEN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!