“fantastic hotel”

The Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Thurles
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We have stayed in this hotel numerous times before and always loved it but I have never gotten around to writing a review. When en route to cork with a howling baby last Friday evening we just pulled in off the motorway to check if they could accommodate us for the night. The owner pulled into the car park at the same time as us and he held the door open for us and had a chat. Immediately we bumped into a couple who we recognised from a previous stay (always nice to see repeat customers!). The receptionist was very friendly- she remembered us from our last stay and immediately booked us into a lovely family room. All of the staff that we met in the bar that evening and in the restaurant the next morning were very efficient and friendly and nothing was too much of an ask for them. The leisure centre is very well equipped and the swimming pool is gorgeous. The only thing that I would point out if that there isn't much space to get through the couches and armchairs between the reception area and the giftshop/restaurant area with a buggy (or wheel chair) but apart from that I cannot fault this hotel in any way and I would 100% recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tom054, Owner at The Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank You for going to the trouble to write such a kind review. I do remember you coming in that cold evening and coincidently meeting guests which had been here the same time before and the receptionist recognising you which immediately made you feel at home. I am delighted you enjoyed all the facilities of the hotel and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Horse &Jockey 8th May.

Brilliant hotel, great food, friendly staff, gym, pool and Spa. Fantastic value for money. I will be back when I am next in Tipperary to enjoy the hospitality. It is an ideal location to explore the wonders of the region.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ryderclan

Thank You for saying such kind words about the hotel, its facilities and staff. I have passed on your compliments to everyone concerned, it is indeed heartening to be of service to pleasant people.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Don't accept room 319 due to noise underneath in early hours of morning,
Management we're not interested .Otherwise nice hotel to stay and room was very spacious and modern.Lobby nice to relax and have a drink ,would stay again but not in room 319.

Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your review and I can assure you we are very interested in our guests comments as sometimes we would not know about certain problems.
I am sorry about the noise outside your room at 7.30am which was due to a faulty extractor fan in the kitchen area.
I am glad that this did not deter you from staying with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel with my friend for two nights B&B. We were looking for a break away so that we could spend time catching up. The staff at the hotel are lovely and very helpful. There is a fantastic atmosphere in the hotel. The bedroom was very comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was very very nice. We ate dinner in the lounge and found the food to be excellent. There is a coffee area called The Bakery where you can have tea and coffee with a choice of freshly baked cakes. You can also purchase to take away. We used the Leisure Centre for the pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and steam room. It was really relaxing. We had a lovely relaxing stay and found the hotel to be perfect for our stay and very comfortable. The hotel is located 10 mins from Thurles and Cashel. Enjoyed a walk around Thurles and visited the Rock of Cashel in Cashel(Rock of Cashel was a disappointment for me but it would not be my thing anyhow).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank You for your kind review which I have passed on to all the staff. It is indeed rewarding to be though of so highly by such a experienced reviewer and gives us great encouragement to continue in trying to do a good job.
Tom

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I'm always checking trip advisor for reviews especially before booking somewhere not knowing anything about the place. I understand that people have different opinions and experiences but I have to disagree with the bad reviews about this hotel! It was absolutely fantastic. We were looking for a luxury getaway for the weekend and that's exactly what we got! We booked a standard room and but seemed like a superior! Seemed new and fresh looking and we got a fantastic two nights sleep in that lovely bed! Unlimited drinking water for the room was also a bonus!
Ate breakfast and sandwich food in the bar... Both good quality and delicious especially the cakes in the little cafe! (The breakfast area could do with being a little bigger though!)
Leisure facilities were nice to use.
Drinks in the bar were a good price! I always go by the rule that if a pint of lager is under 5euro it's fine by me! (€4.70) This Guinness wasn't too great but plenty of people drinking it so maybe we were just being fussy!
One thing I would mention is that the hotel is a little far from Thurles on terms of taxi fare... The fare is €12 each way so if you're having a night out just save money aside for that. (Star of India is a great Indian restaurant in the town!)
Overall myself and my partner had a fantastic stay in this hotel, lovely place and staff. Would highly recommend!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosslare16

Thank You for your kind review and for been so thoughtful to myself and the staff who work very hard to keep our standards up. As you say it is indeed difficult to please everyone in a busy hotel but we really strive to make everyone's experienced to the Horse and Jockey a memorable and pleasant one.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Overall this is a really comfortable hotel with a fantastic atmosphere.

Check in was brisk but efficient.

Room was spacious and relaxing - I had a great night's sleep. But the shower was dreadful -- it was a pathetic trickle. I had to go and use the shower at the swimming pool in the morning. My colleague said his shower was substandard too.

We ate in the pub - food enjoyable - service ok.

Breakfast was excellent - staff great.

Other points - lovely swimming pool. Had a massage in the Spa which was excellent.

Travelling on business - would use again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank You for your review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry the shower did not work properly, the system is pressurised and is working well at present.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed here years ago and the hotel was great, but after our recent stay, this hotel has deteriorated badly and needs a lot of investment.
On arrival everything seems good, clean modern reception, but this is just a front to what is to come and just shows don't believe pictures the hotel show on their website.
The rooms are very tired, and that's being nice. The first thing I noticed is the room did not have curtains but a roman blind, which when lowered did not cover the whole window leaving a gap of 5-6 inches at the bottom, and I think had been installed on extreme budget and installed by someone cheap. I have never ever stayed in a hotel with no curtains, and this was the first sign of cost cutting. We had to use cushions in the room to fill the gap under the blind. We stayed in February, so evenings get dark and mornings aren't to bright. The blinds were not black out blinds, most hotels have black out curtains. So you have no possible way of making this room dark, I could imagine what summer months would be like here.
Everything from wood work, bathroom fittings, electrical items were damaged and battered.
I can forgive most things if the bed is comfortable and gives me the perfect night sleep you expect in a hotel. No good night sleep, the bed was lumpy, hard and smelly. Yuk. And the double was two singles pushed together, which moved when you were in the middle.
Most hotels of 4 star and above have little miniatures in the bathroom for gel and shampoo, usually only cheaper hotels have refillable bottles fixed to the wall. The worst thing was, these fixed bottles were broken and the pumps didn't work, and one was snapped off, the staff refilling them would have know, and chose to ignore. And when is one towel enough for a family room.
Breakfast was the biggest disaster ever. Everyone squashed in a room that's far to small, useless staff and a buffet that isn't kept stocked. You could not get a full cooked breakfast as the staff were so slow to refill that once one was full others were empty. They couldn't quite understand the concept of refilling.
When you did get food, if was a experience getting back to your table in the cramped room, asking people to move and pull in their chairs.
Myself and my son used the pool. The pool was ok, except a member of staff on duty made everyone feel very awkward. It was the shower area after leaving the pool that made me turn green. Had they ever been cleaned? The thought of washing off in them was un thinkable. I don't care what anyone says, they hadn't been cleaned in a very long time, I don't count a quick hose down as cleaning. The grime, slime and smell. They hadn't seen disinfectant in.......ever!
I understand why the receptionist didn't ask if we had enjoyed our stay, why she didn't look up from her screen. She didn't want to know our thoughts.
Its not like this hotel is cheap, they charge enough for the family room we had.
Would never stay here again and would recommend others to avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sprocket1066

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us back in February, it in indeed unfortunate you did not address your grievances when you were here or immediately where we could respond in more detail.
We have since changed the Roman Blinds to blackout, curtains are not a option due to the shape of the dormer type windows.
The Elemis products we use in our rooms are a very high end and expensive product and have often been complimented on as seen in previous reviews, they are also environmental friendly, we do offer miniature toiletries if asked for.
Saying that the breakfast was the "biggest disaster ever" seems over the top notwithstanding that you made no comment regarding the quality and quantity of the food which I presume must have all right. Sometimes during a busy breakfast one has to wait for freshly cooked to arrive from the kitchen this does not happen instantaneous and for any delays we are truly sorry.
Regarding the pool shower, not that I am making excuses, but we are in a very lime water area and this water corrodes the tiles in a white scale which is hard to remove and looks unsightly but I can assure you that this area is cleaned daily. Contract cleaners are presently trying to remove the scale which is proving difficult.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel

Been to The Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!