“Great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Horse & Jockey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Thurles
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I don't know where all the negative comments below are coming from as I found it very hard to fault this hotel. We booked into this hotel with a groupon voucher and for only £80 we feel we got a fantastic deal, very clean, well decorated and offers a nice and relaxing environment, leisure facilities are fantastic with a great range of things to do around the pool area. Friendly staff and the breakfast was very nice too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Djbmk W
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind comments to all the staff.
Tom.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
County Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Brilliant hotel, staff were so friendly even when they were so busy, the bar staff really made us feel special, the food was so good, breakfast was top class, spa was excellent, we enjoyed the couple treatment room. Tom and all the staff have worked so hard to make this hotel special, it shows and it paid off for us. Keep up the good work and we will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Dandcp2014
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank You for your excellent review and for going to the trouble to write it which I have posted in our staff rooms. Look forward to seeing you again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I would not have paid full price for this hotel but we got a deal on Groupon which was £80 for 2 nights including breakfast. Really glad we bought this deal as we thoroughly enjoyed our break and made the most of the location by travelling to Cork, Blarney and Cashel. Breakfast was very good and staff were all friendly and helpful. Our room had a beautiful view and thankfully had air con as it got quite warm. Would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend if another deal came up.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentTravellerNI
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank You for your kind review and we are delighted you enjoyed your Groupon break, we are indeed centrally located to explore a wide area.
Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Book this hotel with a groupon deal. With all sorts of reviews I was surprised to find really cosy, full of thoughfull details hotel. Also very quiet although it looked full hotel. Really big room with good size bath in it. Room looked clean modern not short of anything. Carpets looked clean and it looked new. Receptionists answered the question if asked but but by far did not look friendly or interested. Breakfast was nice and good choise offered. Bar food I thought was nice but a bit overpriced, so on a second nice we choose to dine somewhere else but this is not reflection to food its purely price. Girl I believe her name was Becky was a gem . Really nice helfull girl went out of her way to answer all our questions that arouse. Spoke Irish to my dad in law. Really this lovely girl made our stay welcome I think you need more staff like that as she is really the only thing that was superb in this hotel and guy serving breakfast was nice and did not look like smile is effort to him. Where most of other staff I thought brought this place down. Swimming pool really nice we really enjoyed every bit of it. Steem room had funny smell in it on a second night where I did not feel comfortable sitting on the seat. But this is the very minor. All in all would recomend and would come back.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Saulyte116
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank You for your kind review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have passed on your comments to all the staff.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and was delighted with the peace and quiet in the rooms and corridors. Many hotels can be quite noisy with chamber maids knocking at the door at 8a.m. but it felt like we were alone in the hotel! The staff in the cafe, bar and breakfast dining room were very friendly and the receptionist was efficient though I doubt this is her chosen career, not the friendliest for somebody at front of house (at a Thursday check-in). Hotels seem to dismiss the fact that this is the first impression so the receptionist should be chosen with care I think. Unfortunately, the rest of the review is quite negative. The breakfast was below average at anyone's standard. Very poor quality and poor choice: yesterday's left-over potatoes by the looks of it and cheap sausages were only the tip of the iceberg. I put my baby down on the ground in the cafe area (having pulled out the couch from the table) but the carpet was so dirty we couldn't leave her there, it's a long time since that carpet has seen a hoover. And whilst the pool was nice, the changing rooms were really dirty. We went swimming three times as the baby loves it but we were appalled by the dirt of the changing rooms. My bikini top fell on to the floor and I ended up dumping it as there were all sorts of unknowns on it. I would stay there again without having breakfast or using the pool and would be quite content with it in that context.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lonnie76
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am glad you enjoyed the peace and quietness of our bedrooms which is nice to know even though we had a full house all last week. We usually get great compliments about our breakfast, the sausages are produced locally by Una Dwyer of Cashel and have received both national and International awards however I have passed on your comments to her although I will say they are definitely not cheap. On receiving your review I immediately checked the ladies changing area and found it to be of a high standard of cleanliness,saying you had to leave your bikini top behind sounds over the top. However we will take some of your comments on board and thank you for your feedback.
galway ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Larger hotel than I imagined and seemed full most nights we were there. Plenty of staff and efficient and friendly throughout the stay.
I liked the large snack/ coffee area off reception, nice decor with loads of sofas. Despite there being a dining room most residents seemed to prefer the large bar and lounge to eat with its cubicles and open seating. Food was excellent, we had steaks one night and they were perfectly cooked.
The leisure centre is up there with the best I've seen.
Overall it's clear a lot of money has been spent upgrading this hotel, and it's a standout location for me in future. We golfed locally, but there's so much near this location with Limerick Cork and Kilkenny not considerable journeys.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank patrick043
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank You for your kind comments. It is indeed refreshing to receive such a glowing review from a resident who has sampled all the amenities of the hotel over 3 days. Hope you enjoyed the golf in Thurles and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Horse and Jockey in the near future.
co. cork ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Usually rave about this place but yesterday, sadly, my daughter and I were underwhelmed having arrived very tired for a meal and a break en route from Dublin having driven up from Cork that morning early.
The shop was its usual pleasant little spot to browse in and pick up a present for a relative. The coffee dock had a lovely girl whom my daughter reported to be extremely nice and helpful.
The problem arose during our time eating in the bar area. We had to help ourselves to the menu as there seemed to be no one coming to serve us.
I have to agree with a previous comment that the waiter who did eventually assist us seemed most uninterested and frankly, tired
No complaint about the service, however the chips were definitely not cooked properly, my daughter's steak baguette was miserable and we felt not worth the price. We met a waitress who was, in my opinion, untidy, I would like to see much smarter looking servers.
We also felt the whole bar-restaurant area could do with freshening up, it does of course have a lovely ambience,
I hope you will take these comments as constructive criticism as I would hate not to be able to call to the Horse and Jockey on many future occasions as it is one of my favourite stops!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank nicolaCo_CorkIreland
Tom054, Owner at Horse & Jockey Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Although you "usually rave about the place" and "it is one of your favourite stops" your first review of the Horse and Jockey is a critical one which seems rather harsh it is as if you based your comments on a previous reviewer. Notwithstanding this I take your comments on board although I would like to point we completely redecorated the bar area in recent weeks so it should not look "tired".
Tom.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
Anner Hotel
Hotel Minella
Hotel Minella
#1 of 6 in Clonmel
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Horse & Jockey Hotel? Share your experiences!