“Excellent Italian food”

Price range: US$31 - US$59
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: My dream was to create a place where my guests could feel comfortable, as if they were in "my" Italy, so vital, warm and colourful. I made my dream come true in my restaurant in Wexford, where guests, friends and staff are like part of my family. Time is the most precious asset. My aim is to provide moments of indulgence, cordial reception and amusement."
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Its unusual to find a really authentic Italian restaurant outside Dublin but Via Veneto in Enniscorthy really fits the bill. Food is top class if a little pricey. Service is pleasant but can be a bit on the slow side at times. Overall though well worth a visit if you like genuine Italian food.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Bingio, Proprietario at Via Veneto Ristorante Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Thank you so much for sending us a review, we appreciate very much that you'd like. We hope see you again soon best regards Mr. Paolo

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and I visit Via Veneto regularly and we always have a fantastic experience. The authentic Italian cuisine is the best we have had outside Italy. The seafood pasta is to die for!!! Staff are always friendly and helpful and from a price point of view, the value is incredible. We once brought friends from Dublin there for a meal - they could not get over how good the value was.
Via Veneto is great for either an intimate meal for two or for a big social gathering.
Whatever the occasion, Diane and Paulo are sure to look after you!!!

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Via Veneto, Weafer Street, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford is one of the few authentic Italian restaurants to be found in Ireland. The food is faultless and never disappoints. The menu is very varied and all the ingredients are fresh. If you like sea food you will not be disappointed. Paulo, the owner, is to be found running the kitchen and his wife Diane is front of house and is one of the best waitresses I have ever encountered. You get that lovely warm feeling from a family run establishment. Via Veneto has an extremely impressive wine list and Diane is very knowledgeable and helpful in this department. Value for money is definite and so, this restaurant should be very high on your list when visiting the South East. I recommend this restaurant 100%.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

[I originally submitted this review back in April 2013, however it was taken down because I (wrongly) insinuated that some of the reviews for this restaurant weren't real. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly for suggesting that any of the reviews written about Via Veneto are anything but 100% genuine.]

I never written a restaurant review on trip advisor before, but what was presented to us at Via Veneto left me compelled to share the experience, if only to help others avoid this unpleasant ordeal in the future.

I live in London, where I eat out regularly. I've also been to hundreds of restaurants around the world, including on numerous trips to Italy. This ranks up there as one of my worst ever dining experiences.

The interior of the restaurant gave a promising impression. It has the feel of a authentic trattoria with a kind of disorganised rustic charm. My only complaint in terms of the interior was a row of shelves partially blocking our view of the kitchen stacked (al la supermarket) with rows of De Cecco pasta products (does the proprietor work as a De Cecco sales rep as his day job?) . Ominously, through these shelves, you could just about make out a set of handcuffs hanging in the kitchen. Whether they stand as a precaution against non bill payers or as a warning to any dissatisfied kitchen staff, one can only speculate.

We were dining at the restaurant as a group of 12 for a 60th birthday. Being unprepared for such a large group could not be an excuse as we booked on the previous day. We all selected the "Early Bird" two course menu. I decided with my brother to share a starter, our two mains and a desert. We opted for Mozzarella with tomato and basil. Classic Italian flavours. Easy to prepare, you can't go wrong. Or so we thought... The starter arrived, but rather than apologising for running out of basil (an Italian restaurant running out of basil, now I've heard it all!), the dish was simply presented with rocket instead of the basil! To add insult to injury, the Mozzarella was of poor quality. To be fair to the restaurant, it was described on the menu as "cow" Mozzarella as opposed to "buffalo", which is what I am used to. Maybe cow is lower quality? Anyway, whatever it was, I found it to be dry and flavourless. Being a birthday party, I didn't want to make a fuss, suffice to say that Mozzarella and rocket is not a winning combo.

Somewhere between the starter and main, a man appeared from the kitchen, sporting jeans and a T-shirt with a dirty apron. He spent some time near our table attempting to dislodge what I can only assume was a piece of food from his teeth, which he then flicked to the ground before going out of the front door of the restaurant for a cigarette. The man in question, I later learned from Via Veneto's website, was none other than Paolo Fresilli, President of the Italian Chef Association (Of Enniscorthy?) and owner of Via Veneto!

My brother and I shared a pizza and pasta dish for our mains. The pizza was the highlight of the meal in that it was rather nondescript. The pizza dough was totally unseasoned, which I took as a blessing as I concluded that it did, at least, mean that the dough had been made onsite! The ham and cheese were of reasonable quality and the egg on top was not overcooked (something which often does happen to eggs on pizzas). We also ordered a pasta dish with a meat sauce, I forget the name. In terms of taste, the pasta dish was pretty average, the pasta itself was well cooked, slightly al dente. The problem here was the seasoning. In stark contrast to the pizza, the pasta dish was so salty, it was barely edible.

Being a special occasion, we all wanted to make the best of it. So, despite our impressions of the food thus far, we all braved a desert. People mainly ordered either Banoffee Pie of Creme Brulee. It was not until our deserts were presented that three of us were told that our choices were unavailable, 15 minutes after ordering! Surely we should have been informed at the time of ordering? Although by this point in the meal, I was finding it increasingly hard to be surprised by the restaurant's failings. I went for the Creme Brulee which, in retrospect, turned out to be the most disappointing part of the meal. The sugar top had not been blow-torched and was therefore not crispy. The interior was overly hard, tasteless and sickly. For the first time in my life I barely touched my Creme Brulee. The Banoffee Pie, which I also tasted, consisted of three inches whipped cream sat on top of sliced banana which was sat on a stale tasting biscuit base. To cut a long story slightly shorter, not a Banoffee Pie!

Strangely enough, we declined coffee.

In conclusion, if you wish to feel like a participant in an episode of Faulty Towers then this is the place for you. However, if you would like to eat at a restaurant that doesn't leave you feeling violated afterwards, then I would strongly suggest dining elsewhere.

5  Thank DJH10101
Paolo F, Owner at Via Veneto Ristorante Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

“I can't stand people that do not take food seriously.” O.Wilde
Dear Mr.J,D.T
Firstly ....we welcome criticism both beautiful and ugly, but constructive ... not destructive
Not all reviews of my restaurant are brilliant, but if the majority of my customers write good reviews, there must be something good going on.
Whether you live in London or Paris or Ireland doesn’t matter, what matters is how you behave and if you really understand eating Italian
When the destructive London reviewer phoned to reserve a table, he asked us about the early bird menu and was told 17.30 to 19.00 he booked the table for 18:30, then called and apologized for the delay, and if it was possible move to 19.00 and we said yes and she turned up at 19.40
He opted for the € 16.50 menu, (now I put them online with the bill as paid € 237,50 for 12 people including coffee, tea, and one of the group kindly left a good tip.
There was no complaint made at all to my wife who had personal charge of that table. My wife is meticulous about quality and service and is very popular with our customers from far and wide.
In 35 years I never went to Chef in any kitchen with jeans. This is just false and unfair.
The staff have clean aprons every evening. Customers frequently remark on the pristine cleanliness of our restaurant. Our pizza is praised by all, but if you read the menu .... it shows there is an egg on a particular pizza, the one he ordered, and then he says he doesn’t like egg on pizza!.
This man also voiced criticism of a local hotel to us, due to his behavior here; I have my doubts about claiming to eat only in “starred “restaurants in London. He has already admitted wrongdoing about his nasty comments concerning positive reviews.
I ‘live and breathe’ my restaurant every night and every day and I am never complacent. I also really appreciate the very positive and encouraging praise we have received from so many people.
Chef and Proprietor
Paolo Fresilli
The cuisine of a country is the only exact attestation of is civilization.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Great value menus with authentic Italian touch: decor and accoutrements allow one to imagine an Italiian location!

Paolo F, Owner at Via Veneto Ristorante Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013