“Disappointing end to a nice beginning”

The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
Dublin, Ireland
“Disappointing end to a nice beginning”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My boyfriend and I arrived at the hotel on Saturday for a day of leisure and relaxation. On arrival everything was good- easy check-in etc. We also had a lovely swim in the pool and used the jacuzzi (the lady in the leisure centre reception was very friendly and even gave me a swimming cap to borrow as I had forgotten to bring one).

The lovely day we had, turned a little bit sour when we went for dinner. We were hoping for a relaxing meal. From the moment we arrived at the restaurant we were literally being hurried out of there as fast as they could get us out, and although the lady serving us was friendly, we felt very under pressure to gobble up our meals and move onto the next course. When asked if we wanted dessert it was obvious that the waiter hoped we'd say no. I felt so rushed that I actually said to the waitress we could take our dessert and coffee into the lounge because we were being rushed. In the end we took our wine and sat outside to enjoy it as we knew we couldn't enjoy it in the rushed atmosphere of the restaurant. It's a real pity because I had the duck and it was actually quite tasty, but didn't have the time to enjoy it properly.

The next morning we arrived for breakfast, and there was plenty of choice- from cereal, to bread and scones and pastries. There was also a Full Irish option which my boyfriend and I opted for, requesting poached eggs instead of fried which was not a problem. As my boyfriend bit into his egg however, he was greeted by some eggshell. He then bit more and more and on every bite found eggshell. He lifted up his poached egg and found a full HALF of an egg shell underneath his poached egg. We found this incredibly careless and simply unacceptable. We waited for over half an hour for someone to come over and ask us how our breakfast was so we could tell them what had happened. Unlike the previous night when we were hounded by waitresses for our next course, nobody came near us at breakfast to the point that we just got up and left without complaining.

Upon check out, we told the lady about the eggshell incident, and she was simply quite rude about it. Asked "was it scrambled?", to which the reply was "no, it was poached". (I don't know what the relevance was of the question, as I don't think it mattered it if was scrambled or otherwise- there was eggshell in the egg). She gave a feeble apology and basically did or said nothing about it- I thought she handled it very poorly, and should not be working in hospitality if that's how she reacts to paying guests when they have a complaint.

There is no excuse for bad service, and if something is wrong, it shouldn't just be brushed off like that. Any other couple would have kicked up complete fuss about finding half an egg shell in their food- afterall someone could have choked on it!

We left the hotel feeling disappointed, and we definitely did not feel we received a four star service for which we paid!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLAMA281088
Marketing007, General Manager at The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Clmag2014,

On behalf of the Team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you were able to take advantage our leisure facilities during your stay and encountered our friendly staff upon check in also.

The comments made in your review, regarding your dining experience are so uncharacteristic of the four star Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club, as you can read from previous reviews and the many testimonials which we have on our site. We receive such high praise on all aspects of our dining from high standard of service to our sumptuous food and excellent value.

We apologies for your disappointment with our service during dinner in which you felt rushed, and have shared your comments with both the restaurant and kitchen team members in order such an event does not happen again.

We have also shared your comments with our Head Chef and restaurant team regarding the egg shell discovered in the poached egg and that your table was not checked, had it have been brought to our attention at the time, we certainly could have offered an alternative option.

Having looked into the situation with each department Mary the receptionist on duty recalls you mentioning the egg shell in the poached egg and offered to get a manager for you for which you declined.

The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club values genuine feedback from trip advisor reviews as they help us continue to fulfil our commitment to uncompromising quality and attention to detail in both our service and product delivery.

Thanking you once again.

Jim Maher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is very conveniet for stopping overnight after arriving via ferry from Dublin, it takes approx 1.3/4 hours from Dublin.
The rooms are very spacious with king size beds for a good nights sleep. There is a choice of resaurants to dine in I ate in the Alamo Restaurant which serves very good steaks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Marketing007, General Manager at The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear billmitchison,

Many thanks for your comments and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our hotel is certainly an excellent base for travelling around the South East and conveniently located to Dublin or Rosslare. I only hope you were able to visit some of our wonderful local attractions like Enniscorthy Castle, National 1798 Centre or Vinegar hill.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your travel and perhaps we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,
IRELAND
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for one night end May and got a B& B + Dinner package.The room was great with a riverview and balcony nice and clean comfortable bed.The staff were most friendly and helpful.We had dinner in the Alamo and the choice and quality of food was great again the staff were fantastic.The wine price was the most reasonable I have ever seen and a lot more should follow there example as this is usually a rip off.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SAMSCROSS
Dear SAMSCROSS,

I would like to thank you for your glowing reply on Tripadvisor. It’s always great to receive feedback from our guests and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to avail of one of our exceptional value Dinner,Bed & Breakfast packages.

I was delighted to read you experienced great service during your stay and wonderful food dining in our Alamo Steakhouse, which offers great value on both their dining and wine menus.

I look forward to inviting you back in the future and if there is anything I can do to assist you in any way,please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
DUBLIN
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding over the weekend. Apart from the bathroom being a little dated there's nothing else I can fault. Staff friendly, food great, service great. Hope to return again next year....

Room Tip: I hear the Alamo restaurant door has great food too.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LOU26

Thank you for your recent review on The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club following your recent visit for such a special occasion as a wedding. We are delighted you had such a positive experience from our staff to our excellent food on offer.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future when perhaps you can try our wonderful Alamo Steakhouse.
Kind Regards,
Enniscorthy, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We held our wedding in the hotel and from the time we booked it we were made to feel like we were their most important priority. Jim (manager) and Joy provided us with a service that was very simply... Outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble, and not just for us, our guests were all hugely complimentary of the level of service, enthusiasm and professionalism demonstrated by staff at all levels. The hotel is situated beside the river Slaney which helped provide some fantastic photographic opportunities for our big day. Another great touch that was commented on by our guests was the fact that the owner came around during breakfast to get feedback on how their stay was progressing and if the hotel could improve on anything. We would highly reccommend this hotel for hosting a wedding but also if you want to relax in beautiful surroundings in a hotel that makes every guest feel like they are the most important guest that stayed there.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear AnnDam,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your outstanding review following your recent wedding reception in the Riverside Park Hotel and I am absolutely thrilled that the Team were able to help make your special day so wonderful and our attention to the highest levels of service, professionalism and genuine care were some of your highlights of your special day.

We thrive to exceed our Bride & Grooms Expectations, so we are extremely grateful and honored when we get such amazing feedback. Thank you so very much.

I look forward to welcoming you both back to The Riverside Park Hotel in the near future.

Thanking you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

It was a lovely time at the riverside hotel the food service and rooms were great. What I would improve is the shower and wifi connections in certain areas of the hotel however me and my family will go again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alison g
Dear Alison g

We are really glad to hear of your satisfaction with your stay at The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club. We are delighted you had such a positive experience of our wonderful and friendly the staff and of course the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, and I have passed all your comments to our team here in the Hotel.

We are currently changing over our Wifi provider and I assure we don't envisage any further problems for our guests. I do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you and your family back in the future and if there is anything I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

A pleasant enough hotel, a little dated. Lovely friendly staff, Anne on the front desk was very nice and had a great knowledge of local tourist attractions. Breakfast was lovely and had a wide selection. We ate both nights in the hotels restaurant , the Alamo, fantastic food, really yummy. The bedrooms were fine, clean, comfortable. All in all it's a good base for a stay in Wexford.

Stayed May 2014
Marketing007, General Manager at The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear CizH

Thank you for your kind review on trip advisor regarding you recent stay with us at The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club.

I am delighted with your positive comments about our team and service you received and I'll certainly pass them on to the team .

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards
Jim Maher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
Treacy's Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
#4 of 5 in Wexford

Been to The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!