“Got Engaged”

Monart
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
“Got Engaged”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I recently got engaged at the monart and I booked the 18th century suite experience and I have to say it was the best stay I have had anywhere. The custome service was that good It honestly felt like we were the only guests in the hotel. What also made it so special was the standard of the hotel, you would never know you were in Wexford it feels like you could be anywhere in the world. I have stayed at some stunning hotels from Egypt to Dubia and I have to say this was on par or better than most of them. I have to say that a special mention has to be made to the resteraunt staff the food was amazing and the service was world class I can't wait to return to the spa it is truly one of the best in the world without a dout, the only recommendation I would make is that they fit a jacuzzi in the thermal spa area..

• Stayed July 2012
Dear David_Kahwati,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart.
We are delighted that you chose Monart for such a momentous occasion for you both.
Your kind words are very much appreciated

Likewise we very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future, but in the meantime best wishes with wedding preparations.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Destination Spa of the Year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Monart lived up to all my (very high) expectations. I had first heard of it back in 2006, not long after it opened, when a colleague headed off to chill out. I heard about the gated entrance, no children policy and the fabulous spa....I was jealous! So over the intervening years I have heard similar whispered recommendations - as if saying it too loudly might open the gates so to speak.
From the moment we entered the gates, we took a deep breath and sighed..."this is heaven". And it really is a special place. Such a feeling of relaxation is hard to find in hotels typically. Our room, no. 77, was at the very end of the chalet-style rooms. With a high ceiling, the feeling of space was more like a junior suite in any other hotel. Food was excellent - we stayed for 5 nights including 2 dinners in the restaurant. We also ate in the bar many times - also excellent and good value. Breakfast can be taken in robe/slippers - I had never experienced this anywhere in Ireland before and it really does add to the relaxed atmosphere. Spa facilities are proper spa facilities - I had 4 treatments, all of which were fabulous and compliments to the excellent staff. They don't just do treatments - they add some additional recommendations specific to you and general good health advice.
One last comment, people may think having a no-children policy is a little extreme, but I firmly believe there is an untapped market out there for more places like this, especially restaurants. The uninterrupted peace and serenity it allowed was very much appreciated by this reviewer. Well done Monart - we will be back.

Room Tip: Go for end of corridor and facing the garden (not the woods as there is road which can be quite busy...
2 Thank Babserella
Dear Babserella,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart.
We couldn't be more delighted with your high praise and commendation.

Likewise we very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

stayed in hotel and would have loved it but for reasons of lost reservations,staff member tipping herself 10 euro and no return phone call when i called back.
Lost reservation with wrong name i would get over.My wife went to bathroom when checking out and i assumed she tipped 10 euro to staff member. she didn't and i called back to get explanation and only ever got voicemail and fobbed off

Room Tip: just watch your bill when checking out. it was a great night but it just pissed me off about tip
Dear Redladireland,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart. I hope that is goes without saying that i am disappointed to read your comments and as with any feedback take it very seriously. Our intention would never be to 'fob' someone off or to annoy them in anyway, and to that end I would very happy to hear from you directly to ensure that your situation has been dealt with to its fullest extent.

We are committed to providing the very best in customer service and care; it is with this focus on excellence that we have consistently been recognised as not just 5 star, but a world leading 5 star destination SPA.

ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

Just back from the summer rejuvenation offer of two days bed and breakfast.

I stayed here in March and thought the place was amazing and ate one of the best dinners ever, but this time I really feel that the food standards have dropped dramatically. Reading some of the recent reviews I see I am not alone. My husband had tomato soup in the cafe and it was the most bland affair, almost like it was watered down. Then, what should have been the highlight of the trip, dinner in the restaurant, was very strange. The amuse bouche was not nice and then the sorbet that followed the starter was a chocolate thing. That really freaked me out... Chocolate before monkfish... Noooo, it was all wrong, to my taste buds anyway.

I totally agree with previous reviewers that the food is now very average and over priced. I also think having a supplement on practically every dish is a bit rich.

We had a pleasant enough stay but I wouldn't be in a hurry back. I understand the concept of relaxing and keeping the world outside, but I would still like good wi fi in the bedroom. There are TVs aren't there??? sometimes there isn't enough to amuse oneself with...

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thelionspet
Dear Thelionspet,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart.
I am genuinely disappointed to hear that you did not find your dinner, particularly out sorbet course to your liking on this trip.

I am happy to say that the introduction of Wifi, as an upgrade from the current ISDN connection in our Bedrooms is something that we are looking into at the moment. We do offer complimentary Wifi in our Old house currently.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed here with my husband to celebrate a significant birthday. I was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about but I was extremely disappointed. The impression I got off this hotel is not that they want to create a haven for people to relax, it's more like they want to squeeze as much money as possible out of their customers.

On arriving we were told to check into our room at 2pm instead of 3pm we would have to at a supplement for early check in and told we could have lunch in the bar while we waited. In the bar we got extremely overpriced,average food and there wasn't a whole lot on either of our plates. I'm all into fine dining but a bar lunch isn't really a situation you can pull of the whole 'less is more' in terms of food IMO! Bar drinks were ridiculously priced also.

We had booked one night DB&B and on reaching the restaurant were so annoyed to see that half of the options on the menu had a supplement on them, even the desserts. There was a supplement on banoffee pie for goodness sake! This 'destination spa' left us with a very bad impression and after paying over €500euro for one night, I can safely say we will never return. The pretentious atmosphere, ridiculous prices and very average food was not enough to entice us back. We have stayed in much better hotels with spa facilities on par and have enjoyed them much more. My advice save your money and keep on researching for somewhere to have that well deserved break.

10 Thank lilmissgiggles1
Dear Lilmissgiggles1,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart.

Our check-in time is standard as 3pm and would have been outlined at reservation and in your confirmation letter. Our Garden Lounge provides a bistro style bar menu and is not a fine dining experience. Our prices are exceptionally competitive within the 5 star market within Ireland

By way of Clarification may I say, that our Dinner Menu in it’s entirety consists of 24 dishes, 6 of which are supplemented. (2 each of starters, main courses and desserts) I am sure you will agree that it would be unfair to charge a premium for the menu to those guests who do not wish to dine on our premium offerings.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am just back from a two night stay at Monart, and I have to say I was very disappointed with the entire experience. The main benefit of Monart is that it is an adults only resort , and this it has to be said, is an amazing selling point to people looking for a quiet break.

The entrance and lobby areas of the hotel itself are impressive on arrival. Our room was large, with a large bathroom, but the television in the bedroom was very small for the size of the room. Perhaps the initial design had not included a television in the bedrooms, so a small television was provided as a compromise, but a 27 inch television 15 feet from the couch or bed is barely worth having. Secondly, the subtitles were permanently on on serval of the channels and despite requesting someone to look at this, the problem was not rectified during our stay.

The main issue with the bedroom however, was noise. The walls are very thin and when walking along the corridor one can hear the floorboards creak underneath. On Friday night when we turned off the television in our bedroom we could hear next doors television perfectly. We could also hear next door, get up, turn on the shower, and a huge bang emulated around our room every time one of the neighboring bedrooms closed their doors. Each room has a balcony door, and when the room above ours attempted to open their balcony door and move their patio table ( which is very small and light), the noise sounded like a train was rattling above our heads.

The spa itself was ok. But by comparison to other spa's in Ireland, such as the Europe hotel in Killarney or the Ritz Carlton in Wicklow, Monart left a lot to be desired. The thermal area of the spa was very clean, but the only towels provided in the wet areas were hand size towels, so you were expected to dry yourself with your robe or walk back to the changing room, which was not directly connected to the wet area. The salt chamber did not seem to work properly. There is no real jacuzzi, and the jet area of the swimming pool is in an alcove which you have to climb up onto, which I found very uncomfortable and worried I was going to slide out of. The light relaxation room did not have enough beds for the amount of patrons, and as a result several patrons were left queuing for bed to relax on! Also , the beds in the light relaxation area did not recline and were quite upright. Also , when I did return to the changing area, I was going to shower for lunch. Unfortunately there were no amenities like shampoo or shower gel provided in the changing room, so I had to return to my room to wash.Also, having been in the wet area, due to the lack of large towels my robe was damp and there was no dry robes provided unless you went out the reception desk and specifically asked. A lot of walking around wet!!!!

As I said, although the spa itself was ok, by comparison to other spa's now in Ireland, I felt Monart , with the Spa at its core, did not stack up to the hype.

The food and the staff generally were nice. Breakfast particularly. Although we did have to wait for 15 minutes to be seated, which given that the restaurant was not full, and it was a partial buffet breakfast, seemed unnecessary.

I have no doubt having read previous reviews that the Manager Mr. Lennon, will state that my comments are "not indicative of the vast majority of feed back", and yes this may be true. However, firstly I would like to say that throughout our two day stay not once did we come across anyone who resembled a general manager, let alone Mr. Lennon, to see how our stay was going. Secondly I would say, that having had the pleasure of staying in some of Ireland's other fine hotels over the last few years, from the Europe in Killarney, to Castlemartyr, to Lough Erne and Lough Eske, I merely feel that Monart is living on its reputation as opposed to living up to its reputation.

4 Thank AthD
Dear AthD,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write a review. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent trip to Monart.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the TV quality during your stay. Our TV channel provider was completing maintenance to resolve issues and unfortunately this was not completed during your time with us. This upgrade was necessary and unfortunately the subtitles experienced were an upgrade issue and something which took time to resolve.

The other spas you have mentioned within your review are fine properties indeed, however Monart continues to excel on the International and National Awards scene and continues to collect the most coveted awards and reviews for our spa facilities not only within the Irish media but also abroad in such publications as Conde Nast Traveller and Elite Travel Magazine.

The salt chamber is a mild semi-wet room which infuses salt into the air for inhalation. This room is intended to be a mild treatment and is monitored by our team daily and by our German Partners by computer every couple of minutes. There has been no report that this had any error recently, perhaps the ‘soft’ nature of the salt grotto was not what you had expected.

I do not merely repeat that negative comments on this forum are not indicative of Monart – this is a factual statement. Monart has been awarded Travelers' Choice® 2012 Winner with 231 excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Our own comment cards being taken into consideration and indeed the fact that we have a huge percentage of repeat business to Monart proves that this is not a ‘loose’ statement but a fact that all team at Monart have worked tirelessly to deliver. We will continue to do so all the while accepting that there is always room for improvement.

There is a very strong management presence at Monart and there is always a manager present from 8.00am until 01.00am every day.

Thank you for your comments and please feel free to call me directly.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed for one night recently and can honestly say it was one of the nicest and most relaxing places I have ever stayed in. What makes the difference is that Monart is a SPA not a hotel with a spa and boy what a difference that made. As soon as you walk through the door it feels relaxed and luxurious and the service was wonderful throughout our stay. Dinner was superb and every course and choice was better than the last. Breakfast was excellent too and a great choice of food. The spa area was well equipped and well attended and the sense of relaxation was really palpable. I was sorry I was only staying one night and I look forward to a longer stay next time. Congratulations on a wonderful amenity and on the quality and friendliness of your staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmmyDublin
Patrick L, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear EmmyDublin,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of us here at Monart.
We are wholeheartedly encouraged and delighted by your commendations.

Likewise we very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Treacy's Hotel
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!