“5 * but missing the polish”
Review of Monart

and 1 more site!
Monart
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
Reviewed 19 March 2013

stayed here for a one night spa with the girls on march 13th. there was 7 of us in total. on arrival i was very impressed with the valet parking and the overall feel and ambiance of the spa and was really excieted. on check in our rooms were all mixed up the wrong people were booked with the wrong people. our lists of treatments were read out to the group. i was mortified when mine was read out as i had to change my massage to a pregnancy treatment as i had just found out and now the cat was out of the bag! only 2 in the group knew my news as it wasnt public knowledge. we were early so went to the bar for lunch as our rooms werent ready. lunch and service were fantastic and we couldnt wait to get our robes on and try the spa. as soon as our rooms were ready we changed and like the seven dwarfs took off down to the spa area. it was huge and i was glad to get a tour around it and asked quietly which rooms i could use and the staff were more than happy to let me know. the only dissappointment i had in the spa was the fruit in the relaxation room was far from tempting there were grapes there that were on their last legs and there was no hot water to make the tea provided. the fruit also could have been more varied - apples, pears and grapes. a few chopped pieces of strawberries, pineapple etc would have gone down well and been very refreshing. at 4.15 i went up for my treatment and boy was it bliss - mothers helper indeed. Laura my therapist was excellent and showed me to the dark relaxation room for a small cup of ginger,honey and lemon tea to finish it off. i floated back down the stairs and off to my room to chill. the rooms were lovely and roomy, nice and bright and there was a few complimentries left for us. the beds had feather duvets and were very comfortable. the only thing missing was tea or coffee in the room. i was very surprised as the majority of hotels will always supply tea and coffee and all the others in the group mentioned it too. around 6 pm there was a knock to the door and a staff member was there with chocolates and to see if i needed anything. great touch. we had dinner in the restaurant that evening and although the food was excellent the service was extremely slow over 3 hours it took us to have our meal. There was a very long gap between ordering and the sample starter arriving, then the actual starter - 45 mins in total and the mains arrived 2 hours after we sat down! i dont mind that if the kitchen is run off its feet but there was our table of 7 and about 6 - 8 others in total eating!! the menu itself was lovely however almost everything had a supplement attached between 4 - 7 euro for each course (set menu included in the package) and the cheapest bottle of house wine was €28.50 - a bit rich in these times i think. The staff again were more than helpful and answered any questions we had on the menu. after dinner we retired to our beds and looked forward to breakfast the next morning.
I love breakfast in hotels and always try and exprience as much as i can. breakfast in the monart was dissappointing to me. the fruit again was poor - bannans had a grey look about them as if they had been kept in the fridge and were very off putting. the sauceages on the cooked breakfast were poor, the mushroom slice was so strong that i couldnt eat it eventhough i do like mushrooms. however the pastries were gorgeous and the porriage was lovely. On check out the previous mix ups on the rooms had obviously not been fully sorted as my bill included treatments for 3 other people and i was being double charged for my included treatment as was my room mate. now i will say that as soon as i mentioned the mix ups they were all sorted i didnt feel that this was the best impression to leave with.

all in all the visit to the monart was very nice and throughly enjoyed but the little details are what matter when you are 5*.

Dear Laurah385,

Many thanks for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently. We are delighted that in the main you enjoyed your time with us here.

Obviously we are disappointed that you should have any reason to be not 100% satisfied with your time here, and please be assured that all of your comments have our fullest attention. Please accept our apologies sincerely for the misgivings in your billing needs, this is certainly not our norm.

By way of clarification may I say that our Dinner Menu consists of 29 Dishes, 5 of which are supplemented, I am sure that you will agree that it would be unfair of us to charge a premium to each of our diners whether or not they choose to dine from our premium offerings.

Our wine list ranges in price from €26 per bottle.While Tea and Coffee Making facilities are not provided in room, we, as a five star destination would be delighted to attend to all of your requirements, including the making of tea and coffee for our guests.

I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Destination Spa of the Year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

There are newer reviews for Monart

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed in monart for two nights midweek in March. From the moment we arrived we felt the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The ambiance of the hotel was pure relaxation and we had an amazing time.

We ate in the restaurant on our first night and thought the food was excellent. Breakfast was lovely on both mornings as well with fabulous choice.

Our only compliant would be that on the second night we would have liked to eat in the garden lounge but they stop serving food at 7.30pm. We do not like to eat earlier than 8.30pm and while the restaurant was lovely we didn't want to eat in the same place two nights in a row.

We both found our spa treatments excellent and the thermal suite area was the largest and cleanest I have ever been too.

We will definately return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SSmyth

Dear SSmyth,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us here at Monart. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your time with us here

We very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a two night weekend break and while it was a nice weekend away, it certainly didn't live up to all the hype I'd heard about this place. Check-in was good, the receptionist was very friendly she showed us to our room.

Immediately when I walked into the bathroom I looked up at the ceiling. Not a good start to our weekend. There were about ten different flying bugs up on the ceiling along with one huge spider. The ceilings in the bedroom and bathroom are quite high (particularly the bedroom) so it was a little difficult for us to get them out of the room! There were also quite a few flying around the bedroom and when my husband closed the curtains, another bunch of them flew out from the curtains! :( The next morning I woke up with an insect bite on my face. Nice! I went down to reception and told them to please tell Housekeeping to sort out the bug issue in our room when they were cleaning up our room that morning and the lady assured me it would be dealt with.

My husband and I went off to get our spa treatments (more about those later) and on return to our room a couple of hours later, Housekeeping had been around as the room was made up however the bugs were still there. So our request was completely ignored. We had to remove the bugs/flies and spider ourselves. Yes I understand it's in the middle of the countryside and bugs can get in if you have the window open, however it is completely unacceptable for Housekeeping to just leave the bugs in the room - the windows were closed when we got to our room, they could have gotten rid of the bugs while cleaning. And it's not like it was in an area you wouldn't notice, I spotted them the second I walked into the bathroom! It is not something you would expect of a hotel that won runner-up for best spa hotel in the world by Conde Nast. As a result, I have marked down Sleep Quality, Cleanliness and Rooms from a 5 to a 4.

Regarding the room in general, they are quite spacious and have a balcony overlooking the gardens. There is not much sound insulation though! The walls are paper thin so we could hear the people next door and on our second morning there, I was relaxing in the room watching a dvd (Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst - reception have a bunch of dvds that you can take back to your room on a complimentary basis) while my husband was getting a sports massage down at the spa. Housekeeping were making a lot of noise outside in the hallway so if you were trying to have a lie-in, I think you would have been woken up.

Anyway .... onto other things. Food. We had lunch in the Garden Lounge and dinner in both the formal restaurant and Garden Lounge. Both were very good - food very tasty and service was good. Breakfast - they have a buffet selection of cereals, pastries, breads, porridge, fruit, etc. and also an A La Carte menu where you can order Full Irish Breakfast, Pancakes, Waffles, Eggs, etc. Breakfast was yummy, however on the second morning they got my husband's order wrong and he didn't have time to get it changed as he had to go to the Spa for a massage he had booked.

The spa - we both had massages while at Monart and they did a good job. The thermal suite area is very relaxing. They have heated stone loungers by the pool, fab. The pool could do with being a lot warmer, it is quite cold so I didn't stay in very long. Also, on arrival they hand you your "uniforms" for the stay - big fluffy bathrobes! You can wear your bathrobes the whole day - to breakfast, etc. No bathrobes during dinner, I think!

The highlight of our trip was experiencing a demonstration by the Shaolin Monks, see here:

It was amazing to watch them demonstrate martial arts, learn about their culture and way of life. The Shaolin Monks have some seriously impressive talents, e.g. they set up a block of glass across the room with a balloon behind it. The Shaolin Monk threw a pin towards the glass and the balloon burst! They sure do channel some power, I don't know how he managed to blow a hole through the glass to burst the balloon with a teeeeeny tiny pin but he did!

All in all, it was a good stay however I feel it did lack value considering the price of the weekend. Both my husband and I agreed that it just was not worth that. We have stayed in some fabulous hotels which were expensive but worth it. Monart unfortunately didn't give the same impression which was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pineapple_coconut

Dear Pineapple_Coconut,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time with us here at Monart last October.
I am glad that in the main you enjoyed your time here.

Without rehashing all of the points you raise, albeit that we are a woodside location which does bring its own operational issues, Please accept our sincere apologies as, obviously the 'ball was dropped' so to speak and we did not live up to the high standards that we set for ourselves.

Please be assured that this and all of the points you raise, have the attention of the entire team here. I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Monart again at some time.

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Just back from an amazing two day stay in Monart which never seems to put a foot wrong.

Everything from the rooms to the food and the facilities is first class. The staff are exceptionally friendly and professional and nothing seems too much trouble. Using the thermal suite and relaxation areas between treatments or even on a day with no treatments is a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank TaraPC

Dear TaraPC,

Many thanks for your review of your time at Monart. We very much appreciate your high praise and commendation particularly of our staff who we agree are our very best asset.

We very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I spent night with gal pal in Monart last Tuesday (mid-March 13) Their mid-week deals are seriously good value.
It was our first time but definitely won't be our last. In fact, next time round we hope to extend it to at least two nights.
The whole experinece felt like being wrapped in a warm fluffy robe. Food & wine was exceptional and thermal suite oozed luxury. Staff were warm & welcoming without being intrusive.
I hope to gawd Monart can survive post-boom.
It feels like a secular retreat without a hint of deprivation or penance.
I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy it. Men guests were thin on the ground but looked perfectly content.

1  Thank Sidnancy

Dear Sidnancy,

Many thanks for your review of your time with us here at Monart this week.
We are delighted that you enjoyed yourself and your high praise and commendations are hugely appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Monart.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

A group of four of us stayed at Monart for a weekend. One of the ladies recommended it. Was so excited and looking forward to it. Was looking forward to a relaxing pamper weekend. I was quite disappointed.
It was so uncomfortably packed. And trying to treat yourself to an extra treatment was impossible as no available rooms. One of the therapists told me that it is always this packed at the weekend and if I really wanted to enjoy myself I should've booked midweek!!! Unfortunately midweek doesn't suit everyone. The therapist also told me that she thought they really needed more rooms to keep up with demand.
Before I left I had a botched job done of a manicure...which had to be re-done. First therapist messed it up....second therapist removed the polish and excess wax and had to call back later to get third therapist to re-apply polish. When I was getting the manicure done first, I had to dip my hands into hot wax. It was very very hot wax. I asked the therapist was it supposed to hurt...she said no and oooops must have it up too high!!!
The food was lovely. The only thing was it was difficult to get fed when you wanted. When we arrived first we asked about eating that evening. Told they had a 630pm spot in the bar and if we didn't take that we'd have to eat in our room!!!
Overall the spa was spotless. I was generally impressed by the cleanliness. However, on the Saturday we had lunch in the bar as no room in the cafe. I went to use the toilets across from the bar and was appalled by the state of them considering everywhere else was so clean. Two out of the three cubicles were dirty...one of which was completely unusable. I had to go to reception mid lunch to tell then it needed some serious attention.
Wanted to use wifi which I was told they had. Queried it and a male member of staff told me that I had to go to the library and preferably to the far corner if I wanted good coverage. What the hell!!!
Overall, it was quite nice. The staff were lovely. The room was big and spacious. But I was definitely disappointed.

1  Thank RichAna

Dear RichAna,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to write a review of your time with us here at Monart.
We are delighted that despite some disappointments you enjoyed your time with us in the main.

With regards your specific disappointments, as stated in our direct correspondence, we would be delighted to speak with you personally, as only through feedback and a full understanding of the circumstances pertaining to a review, do we have the opportunity of constant improvement.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Went on a day package recently. Was initially disappointed that day packages are not available on Saturdays, a fact not stated in the spa brochure. However, was impressed with the hotel and spa building on arrival - although is it really necessary to direct people to travel down narrow, potholed country roads? Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Changing area was quite busy and too small for the numbers that were using it. As stated in other reviews no shampoo/ moisturisers provided which I would have expected. Thermal area quite busy, but spotlessly clean and the views of the countryside were amazing from the sauna rooms. Treatments were absolutely amazing, but definitely shorter than advertised. Can almost forgive as the overall experience was fantastic. Cafe lunch was excellent and, although busy, the service was very good. Overall, expensive but barring a few quibbles is worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Omb1,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your time with us here at Monart on Day Spa.
We are delighted that despite your initial reservations, you enjoyed your time with us.

In relation to our changing facilities;We do provide a Shampoo/Body Wash in our Showers and indeed a Preserve Body Moisturiser, both of which are from our Award Winning Pevonia Botanica product house.

We constantly endeavour to keep a supply of these available to all of our valued guests. However they are highly sought after, and, as you clearly experienced they were not available at the time you wished to avail of them. For this we apologise.

Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’

Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Treacy's Hotel
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!