“Very disappointing, certainly not a five star experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Monart

Monart
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
“Very disappointing, certainly not a five star experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Visited Monart for a 3 night midweek break in July 2014 with my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The spa itself was very good and we both liked our treatments (back massage) and the majority of staff we dealt with were very friendly and professional.

We were however very much disappointed with our stay due to a number of issues that we experienced which were very disappointing for a 5 star resort.

The first issue we had was with the check in which was without doubt the worst I have experienced in any hotel. We arrived at 3pm and can only describe our check in as chaotic. We soon realised that there was only one reception desk which meant we ended up waiting in the foyer to be checked in with took nearly 20 minutes during which time we were asked by three different staff for our names for check in. A couple that arrived after us ended up getting checked in before us which was very frustrating. Tip if your are checking in try not to arrive at 3pm as it seems everyone arrives at the earliest check in time and the reception cannot cope with this.

The second issue was when showed to our room we were given a poor room at the back of the hotel backing onto the main road which was noisy. On showing us around the room the staff member noticed our patio door was not locking correctly. Another staff member was sent to look at it and told us it was just stiff and "needed a hard push" to close fully. We ended up getting a very poor nights sleep the first night and this was a result of the door still not closing properly at the frame. When we complained the next morning we were moved rooms. The new room overlooked the lake and was far superior to the original room we were checked into.

We ate in the restaurant on the second night and enjoyed our meal and decided to return for our last night. This turned out to be a complete disaster. We both ordered the king prawn terrine to start and while eating mine I found a piece a plastic in my food (turned out to be cling film). On reporting to the manager on duty he apologized and said he would talk to the kitchen staff. We heard nothing more and after enduring a 50 minute wait between our starter and our main, the manager returned and apologized for the delay stating it was due to trainee chefs in the kitchen!! It was only at this point we offered us a complimentary drink, and the whole thing was handled very poorly. This added insult to injury and why on earth am I paying over 100 Euro for dinner cooked by trainees in a five start hotel. The mains were very bland we both had Salmon and it lacked seasoning, and the accompanying risotto was not great.

We raised all these points on check out and the lady that checked us out had to cheek to gloss over them all with very sorry to hear that and emphasized that she hoped it wouldn't stop us returning again in future!

I have to say I wanted to love that place and we were recommended based on friends who had been in the past but we wont be returning. After spending well over 1000 Euros for three days and given the issues experienced above I feel we got poor value for money and definitely not the level of service for the rates we were paying.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Boxster2
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Boxter2,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at Monart. I am delighted firstly to note that you enjoyed your experiences in our spa and with our team members there.

As you will have come to know from your direct correspondences with our General Manager since check out, feedback on our offerings here, both positive and negative, is something that we sincerely value from all of our guests.

Please know that our General Manager did at the time of your correspondence, address all of the issues you raise with our entire team. I can assure you that any required corrective actions, have been taken.

By way of clarification, may I say that all of our 68 deluxe rooms are of equal standard. I am however glad that you found your room move to be am improvement, following the regrettable maintenance issue that arose with your patio door. I am happy to report that this has been rectified.

I very much hope that we will in fact have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Monart, and restoring your faith in us in the future.

We are committed to providing the very best in customer service and care; it is with this focus on excellence that we have consistently been recognised as not just 5 star, but a world leading 5 star destination SPA.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Spa of the Year 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I visited monart for our one year wedding anniversary and I can honestly say I've never had a better stay, anywhere. I didn't think the whole spa weekend thing would be for me, but my wife had always wanted to visit there so we gave it a try. I couldn't have been more wrong, I completely wound down on this trip and have since been wanting to go back.

I'll start with the food, which was fantastic throughout the weekend. We ate in the bar on Friday night and in the main restaurant on Sunday. Everything was excellent, and the service was prompt and attentive, but warm and friendly with a local feel. I much prefer this to the fine dining extremes of grovelling and aloofness which makes me uncomfortable. The wine list had something for everyone and we chose an excellent mid-priced.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable, well sound-proofed and everything was spotless. It is a little walk to the bedrooms but its nice to stroll around. Nothing to fault here. We also liked the encouraged lounging around the facility in robes (to our surprise).

We also partook in some treatments, I had a superb massage which I will definitely repeat, though my wife said her foot treatment was short and not as thorough as she might have expected. We then had a very nice morning and early afternoon in the thermal spa, though it became a bit crowded afterwards. I'd certainly recommend an early breakfast, early treatments and early use of the facilities.

We took afternoon tea one day in the main house, which was very nice, but we didn't like the setting. It's the entrance to the hotel and everyone that arrived walked into the room, where we were sitting in our robes, due to a badly placed and directed sign for reception. if you're taking afternoon tea I'd recommend requesting it in the lobby by reception, or in the bar.

Not everything is perfect. Check-in was a little time consuming and over-done we felt, with staff members in and out of their office double-checking things while we sat at reception. There was a mixup in treatments which they tried to put on us until I offered to show the staff their own confirmation emails as proof and they changed it. This inconvenience was short-lived however, and I also feel they deliberately stall people while they get luggage to rooms etc. I'd be happier to take my own luggage and be shown to my room more quickly, but some people expect it, I guess. Check-out was more prompt though.

All in all a thoroughly worthwhile experience, and I've spent the same money on decidedly inferior 4 and 5 star weekends in the past.

Oh, and the resort has the only no-kids policy I've ever come across in Ireland. Everyone was there to relax, and no-one was hyper.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ronanos82
Dear Ronanos82,

Many thanks for your review of your stay with us here at Monart. I am delighted that you enjoyed your great escape.

Apologies for any confusion through your check-in, I very much hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

From the minute you pull up to the electric gates you're in heaven. They staff are amazing at making you feel like nothing is too much trouble! The bedrooms are very spacious and so comfortable. The food is fantastic as well. Love chilling out in the spa here with so much to do. I've been to Monart twice now in the last 3 months and the only negative i have would be the staff on the Spa reception desks. Both times i would have really liked a tour of the spa to find out what each room does etc, and both times you could tell the girl behind the counter was very reluctant to leave her spot 'are you sure you want a tour, you've been here before?'. But in the scheme of things, this was minor, the service everywhere else was excellent. Cant wait to return to Monart again as soon as possible!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenDublin
Dear JenDublin,

Many thanks for your review of your stay with us here at Monart. we are delighted that you enjoyed your great escape and very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the moment the gates open and you drive up to the entrance, there is something about Monart that feels very special. Service was outstanding, the spa experience was perfection, dinner was excellent, breakfast was superb and I have to mention the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!
It really did feel like we'd left our normal lives outside the gates and were living in a wonderful cocoon of relaxation, where everything you need or want is never too much for the fantastic team.
Patrick, Pamela and Laura each deserve a mention for making our experience so fabulous.
We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ryanmar
Dear RyanMar,

Many thanks indeed for your kind words in relation to your recent stay with us here at Monart.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your great escape and very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for one night and enjoyed our experience but there were one or two things that weren't totally up to scratch.
We were buzzed in at the gate greeted by a lovely gentleman who took care of our bags and parked my car.
Check in was very professional, informative and friendly and I'd mentioned in booking we were celebrating my friends birthday which the receptionist remembered and wished my friend a happy birthday which was a nice touch.
We were taken to our room which was gorgeous, really big with a lovely balcony, huge bathroom and comfy beds. There were two slices of birthday cake and a card from the manager wishing my friend a happy birthday, which was so thoughtful and generous.
We then made our way to the spa and were shown around, you put on your robe and keep it on for the day which is really relaxing but smarten up for dinner.
Our massages were really good and relaxing. Orlaith did our massages and we'd 100% reccomend her.
The spa was gorgeous, lots of light bringing the outdoors indoors, you really feel you are away from the real world in Monart. The grounds are also beautiful.
We had dinner booked in the main dining room, this is where we felt the whole experience slipped. Mabe we were just unlucky, we were shown to our seat by a lovely blonde lady who had organised extra robes be delivered to our room earlier in the day then the waitress we had seemed very disinterested in us and grumpy. She flew through the breads she had to offer and didn't even repeat the selection to my friend, we felt under pressure to order our food really fast too. The wine we ordered wasn't available which was fine and another one was suggested but we chose another one which seemed like an inconvenience to our waitress. Our wine glasses kept being left empty, it wasn't even busy, there were very few people in the restaurant on this Monday night. We'd have preferred if our wine was just left on our table so we could pour it ourselves if our waitress hadn't time to do it but I'd to get up, have a look in the wine bucket to see which one was ours and refill our own. To be fair not great when your staying in a five star resort.
My starter was pretty bad, I ordered monkfish which I normally love,there was a supplement so I thought I'd be onto a winner. It was terrible, really greasy and no flavour. I ate one out of the three patties, our waitress didn't even question why I'd left so much or cared to ask how our food was. A young gentleman who was helping clear away finally asked was everything ok, I asked if it was normal for the monkfish to be so greasy and he brushed me off saying it was. I felt silly to complain seeing as I was brushed of by him.
My main was a white fish and buttery sauce which was better but still not great.
We skipped deserts and had coffee because we felt we were holding up the waitress because my friend is a really slow eater and the place had emptied out-the waitress cheered up slightly giving us our bill, we left her 10% gratuity which was a lot more than she actually deserved.
All in all the whole dining experience was one to be forgotten, maybe we were just unlucky.
We got one drink in the bar to take to our room, the cocktail waiter was really friendly and they'd a great selection of cocktails however the other barman wasn't very enthusiastic or friendly, looked a bit grumpy too.
I'd forgotten my charger and the lovely receptionist organised one to be delivered to our room, nothing was too much trouble for her. We also got a DVD from reception too which was a nice touch.
The following morning breakfast was good, not amazing. Bacon wasn't crispy as advertised in the menu and my salmon dish was just ok, the caper and lemon sauce wasn't very nice-the waitresses were lovely, young bright friendly girls. The menu had a wide selection but didn't deliver.
The beds were really comfy and the rooms restful and dark, the shower was powerful and lots of big fluffy towels.
I'd a pedicure that morning which was great, done by Amanda, another lovely girl also and really good at her job.
Checkout was quick and friendly, I feel I should take away more marks because the dining experience disappointed us so much but haven't because everything else was so perfect.
A lovely escape getaway but maybe give the main dining room a miss for dinner and be careful with your breakfast order, maybe request extra crispy bacon otherwise it will be soggy.
The evening dining staff should take a few tips from the spa staff to up their game to make for a more enjoyable stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jeaniedoll
Dear JeanieDoll,

Many thanks for your review of your time with us here at Monart.
I am delighted that there were aspects of your stay that you did enjoy.

I am however saddened that you should have been made to feel anything but welcomed and valued by any of our team. Our Team Members are so regularly commended for their care and attention to our guests, I am sorry that this was not your experience of us.

Without Rehashing all of the points you raise individually, please be assured that they have had the immediate attention of our Management and Team in its entirety.

I very much hope that we have the opportunity of restoring your faith in us on your next visit.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Let me say that we did have an enjoyable stay but I do feel that it is fair to say that the experience is not 5 star...more a great 4 star experience.
The staff are wonderful, serving staff are friendly and happy to have a chat, which I liked. I agree with a previous review that the managers were going around asking how is everything and then barely waiting for a response.
We 'fine dined' both nights - I was really disappointed that there was no change in the menu and to be honest I don't think the menu was that varied in the first place. Also as a destination spa I do feel there should have been more healthy options available - my husband is gluten intolerant and there was only one dessert option available to him (both nights) .... a polenta cake which although tasty was something I've done myself on occasion - it has a nice sorbet but to be honest when I think 5 star I think the memory of the meal should stay with you.... it hasn't.
Breakfast DIY options were lovely but both my hot breakfasts were thrust upon me - while still finishing my yogurt and then were not particularly great - the bread for both dishes ( Eggs Benedict and Salmon and Poached eggs) was soggy and unpleasant - I didn't eat it either time.
The spa is fabulous but very busy on Saturday ( do keep that in mind perhaps head out for a walk after breakfast - the grounds and the get away feel were glorious
I would recommend it for the break but lower your culinary expectations!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BACB122
Dear BacB122,

Thank you for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently. I am delighted that in the main you enjoyed your stay. I am however disappointed to read your comments in relation to your Dining Experiences with us, they are all the more saddening as differ greatly from the vast majority of feedback that we receive.

We pride ourselves on the diverse dietary needs that we cater for here at Monart. All of our menus are marked clearly with Gluten Free Options, Vegan and Dairy Free.
Any of our team are delighted to Liaise with our Chef on any guests' particular needs. Being a destination spa, across all of our Menus we offer a selection of 'Spa Dishes' which are of lower calorific content or lighter options generally.

As I am sure you will appreciate, while our Management Team, make great efforts to speak with all of our guests through their meal, we are very conscious, not to overly impose on our guests hard earned down time.

Athlone, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely entrance and grounds but the decking is worn and looks quite rough! The ponds in the grounds are quite smelly but that could be down to the very hot weather. The staff on a whole were very nice especially Emma at reception unfortunately we could not say the same for the girl working at reception in the spa. She was not friendly and did not make us feel welcome. we felt like we were an inconvenience to her. The treatments were fine but the lack of music made the time a bit awkward.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael D
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Michael D,

Thank you for your review of your time with us here at Monart.
I am sorry to hear that your time here did not live up to your expectations.

I am greatly concerned to hear that any member of our dedicated team would make you feel anything but welcome and valued whilst with us. I would be most delighted to hear from you directly, so that I may gain a greater understanding of the circumstances pertaining to your comments.

Apologies for the lack of music during your treatments, I am glad to say that this technical difficulty has since been rectified.

Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler ‘Spa of The Year’ 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Treacy's Hotel
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!