“Extraordinarily fantastic”

La Casa del Organista
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I cannot begin to express how much I loved staying at this hotel. Of course, like all places, there are little foibles that are different from home - the strangled-sounding rooster next door! - but the service, welcome by Rafael and ambience were so beyond anywhere else I have ever stayed that I cannot recommend it highly enough. My only fear in doing so is that they will be forever full and I shan't be able to get a reservation when I certainly go back.

I visited for 2 nights in early August, staying in a single room next door to the double of my parents. The view, a 12th Century convent and church across a green valley, was gorgeous, as were the communal spaces. The weather was perfect, which allowed us to eat breakfast on the terrace. Being somewhat scatter-brained (and so totally at home!) I left behind my umbrella, first aid kit and my passport wallet containing my house keys and passport upon check-out. The staff, particularly Rafael, made sure that it was kept safe, even offering to drive it to me!, and I was able to collect everything a few days later. Upon our return to retrieve my things perfect cups of coffee just the way we like them were waiting.

Room Tip: Ask for one that looks over the valley. The wifi works better in room 8 than in room 9.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Whattodo-paris

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Loved our stay here for two nights in August. The roosters and church bells woke us each morning. Totally authentic building with the only negative being climbing the stairs with luggage. The rooms are very tiny and a bit warm, but hey this is August! We enjoyed being able to walk out the front door and be in the heart of Santillana del Mar. In the evening with most of the tourists gone, it was cool and romantic. The proprietor sees to every need with pleasure, from coming up with ice and a wine bucket to producing fresh caffe latte before breakfast. Very close to the Caves of Altamira which are definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just off the main square, which is a perfect location, The building and rooms have lots of character, wooden beams etc. The manager is very friendly and very helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. Hotel had its own parking which is a big plus in the town. In all, a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank adagio503
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our GPS did not do a good job in getting us to the hotel We contacted them by phone and they were very helpful. Our two nights there made the last minute driving difficulties seem insignificant. The hotel has a lot of charm and our room on the top floor was very satisfactory. It had a balcony where we sat and enjoyed the beautiful views. Breakfast on the hotels terrace is a must do. The overall service was excellent, including the dinner recommendations. Santillana is a beautiful small town and La Casa del Organista is the perfect base from where to experience it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos P
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Thanks for a beautiful stay. We loved santillana and your place even more. It's such a cute little place with a warm feel to it as soon as you enter. The host is bet friendly and breakfast at the terrace is beautiful. We extended our stay here because it was so relaxing and the little town interesting. If you are able to ride horses there's a small
Place right in the backyard where you can rent and have a guide take you to a small trip out of town. The views from the fields are beautiful. Only negative is the quite thin walls. Not much to add from other reviews but it was so good it deserved yet another positive recommendation.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014

One night stopover that completely exceeded our expectations. A large restored 18th Century house (now a hotel) with all the historic character retained but in a very comfortable and sensitive manner. Easy and free parking was available plus a very friendly and helpful welcome at reception. Breakfast (at minimal cost) was great and location perfect for walking around the village. Free wifi available in the comfortable sitting room and even late evening drinks in a small front bar. If I'm in this vicinity again in the future I would go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Don't really have much to add to what's been said previously about La Casa del Organista. It's an ideal place to stay, perfectly located in a charming and picturesque old village. The property itself is stunning, both inside and out and the rooms are comfortable and clean. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking the countryside on a sunny morning is idyllic. All the staff, in particular Raphael, were excellent. It's slightly tricky to find the place on arrival, even with instructions. However, there is an alternative route, coming in from the top of the village and avoiding the Plaza Major and the narrow old streets, which is worth considering. In summary, a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Posada Herran
Posada Herran
#3 of 27 in Santillana del Mar
Hotel Costa Esmeralda Suites

Been to La Casa del Organista? Share your experiences!