“Bit of a howf.”

Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Glenridding
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: The Candleroom is a brand new addition to Rambler's Bar. This bright and lofty, oak beamed room features a stunning glass frontage offering views to the fells and beyond. With an eclectic mix of modern and traditional furnishing, upholstered in beautifully co-ordinated fabrics, large custom made pendants and church candle lights hanging from the rafters giving this room a fantastic atmosphere. In Ramblers, sit by the log burner with a pint of real ale and enjoy hearty food; the perfect combination after a day on the fells or a drive out in the car. Ramblers Bar & Candleroom, situated in the grounds of the Inn on the Lake, offers a relaxed and cosy atmosphere in which to enjoy all this as well as great hospitality and friendly conversation. This typical Lakeland pub loved by locals and visitors alike, is an ideal spot to stop in the summer months when you can enjoy al fresco dining on the terrace. Or in winter sit by the log burner and devour a hearty meal such as the full flavour of the hiker’s chicken & mushroom pie, fell bred lamb rack, delicious beef casserole and dumplings or the Jennings Beer Battered fish. Throughout the year there are a variety of theme nights including live music and summer BBQ’s, festive lunches and more.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Large barn like room with no atmosphere. Good, well-kept real ale and ok to wear walking gear inside. Wifi free but not working (!) when I visited.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Visited here for lunch on a week day. The pub wasn't particularly busy and the customers were either older couples or families with very young kids. The large tv showing pop videos probably wasn't needed. Gardeners's World or Watch with Mother would more likely have had appreciative audiences!
The pub is set out like a restaurant with roomy tables and lots of space between, which was good as many places in the Lake District are quite cramped. There's also an outdoor area but the weather wasn't quite right for that.
The barman was friendly and service was good. My fish and chips were well presented but were a bit of a disappointment. The batter was soggy and thick and the fish rather dense and heavy going. I don't know what sort of fish it was but not haddock or cod anyway. (If it was one of those then it had had a hard life!). The chips were the usual boring dry pub chips. Proper fried chips which were recently part of a potato are a rarity these days, such a shame.
I'd go back for a drink but probably wouldn't plan to eat there again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited this place last weekend as it came highly recommended for great pub grub in an amazing setting. The sun was shining. The lake is amazing. Alas not visible from the Bar. Thats about the best I can say about our visit
I'm astonished that is linked with The Inn on the Lake. As were other visitors we witness have a single drink and leave... which is what we should have done.
I was served a dry pinot and asked for a medium cold white instead (as I dont like dry white wine). I was advised by the barman that there was a "dry pinot or a dry chardonnay, thats it" And he wasnt that enamoured when I opted to swap it for a beer inestead. Next up was my starter, baked camembert. Adequate. Nothing special. For mains I had chicken and leek pie. I've had better in a 'caf'. The pie topping was undercooked and the interior leeky filling boring and inisipid. The peas and chips were fine. But overall a fairly nothing experience. My partner had the fish and chips. Greasy and unloved. Would I recommend the place? A most definite no.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Really good quality food, friendly staff and good outdoor seating. Cheap too, nice atmosphere.

We got an Italian sharing board one afternoon too, lots of variety and very tasty :)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Ramblers is a pub attached to the Inn on the Lake and shares its exellent kitchen. The Ramblers goes in for the rustic look with wooden tables and chairs inside and outside. We visited on a rare warm sunny sunday afternoon., Ordered a thirst quenching pint from the busy bar and scanned the menu. Roast beef dinner was a very substantial sunday option which my wife ordered. I chose the beef and cumberland ale pie. Neither of us was disappointed. She declared the beef to be both plentiful and delicious. My beef pie was very tasty and a very generous portion with a melt in the mouth crust. Three people, three exellent meals and three drinks, £39. Good value from the centre of the lake district and the views across Ullswater were stunning. It,s no wonder many people choose this hotel as a wedding venue. Highly recommended.