“Nice hotel, not outstanding”

Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Wokingham
“Nice hotel, not outstanding”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Had an overnight stop here. One room had super views, the other (a single) not so good. Everyone very friendly. Food in restaurant fine, nothing special. Service somewhat slow. Had an early morning dip in the pool. Finished our stay with a good breakfast. Pretty average all in all.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GW1542

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Cheadle Hulme
Reviewed 27 August 2014

...the only disappointment that I find with this hotel is the fact that I have leave and return home. Just had a three day late summer break and have to report that standards in all departments remain high. Even the weather was favourable! Already booked for Christmas. It is a shame that it is still four months away.
Best wishes to Lenka and Miroslava.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Honest_G
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family and I stayed for 3 nights at this charming hotel.
Service was outstanding, all the staff were friendly and very helpful in pointing out activities in the area for the children, they even provided them with a little children's pack that had crayons and booklet of activities in them. (It's the little things that always seems to impress me). Our room was room 42 it had a double bed with another bedroom leading from it with bunk beds and a single bed. The kids loved their own space especially the bunk beds. The bathroom was large with a separate shower and bath, all the room was spotless the housekeepers were patient with us when we left the room late one day before they came and gave it its daily clean.
Another big hit for the children was the swimming pool as they had it to themselves more or less each time they went to swim.
We ate each night in Ratchers Tavern lovely country feel to it with the local ales that my husband had to try. Food was good and priced reasonably within the area . I recommend the pizza's there they were freshly made and were very nice. All in all this hotel has it all, service, location, cleanliness, value. It's a big thumbs up from my family and I.

1 Thank Patricia B
Essex, UK
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 5 night Dinner, B & B stay which was excellent. The staff are indeed friendly and there was nothing wrong with our room. The restaurant was excellent with the taste, presentation and service (thanks John and team) being of a very high standard. I was surprised how few used the excellent restaurant they are really missing out and Chef deserves an accolade!! Ideal location and being dog friendly, has made this a real hit for us and I am sure we will be back!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DawesFamily
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have just returned home from a lovely couple of days at Glenridding Hotel, and felt the need to review my stay. We were in room 17. This room seems to.be newly refurbished to an high modern standard yet still has original features like the wood beams. The room is large with a small seating area, extremely comfortable super king size bed and a lovely bathroom, Not large but comfortable and light . The room doesn't face the lake but there are amazing views of the surrounding fells and the stream that is next to the hotel. The hotel is ideally situated with just a minutes walk to the Ullswater Steamers and there are walks all around. It has a great pool which isn't big but still great especially the sauna after a long walk up helvellyn.

The reason why i chose to review is that i saw a previous review regarding the breakfast and I have to totally disagree with almost everything that was said if I'm honest . I too had the helvellyn challenge and was more than adequate. In fact I'm sure every hotel I have stayed in on their full breakfasts only serve one piece of bacon one sausage etc. Unless of course it's a buffet breakfast then you take what you want . The breakfast here was fresh good size and the mushrooms were cooked perfectly (not that the way mushrooms are cooked are particularly important). All in all we had a wonderful stay and I urge people not to dismiss this hotel as you won't be disappointed. Oh and don't forget to try their wonderful fresh pizza's.

2 Thank Samh362014
london
Reviewed 21 August 2014

When in England please don't expect much! I haven't been in this Ullswater area for 20yrs and after all this time nothing much has changed except there is internet now in these posts. The bathroom in this hotel is basic e.g I haven't been in a hotel which still has hot and cold taps separately. Everything has that stale feel and smell as you walk into the reception and along the corridors and library and also the restaurant not to mention the rooms. I think its the carpets. Situated at one end of Ullswater lake is perfect place to go hiking. Hotel is reasonable for the area and typical of England. Updating will probably not happen too soon but long overdue. Overall my criticism is that English hotels charge a lot in comparison to hotels in other parts of the world for what they give the customer.

1 Thank ubbidente
Haslingden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here for our wedding anniversary. It is a more traditional Lakeland hotel rather than a recently refurbished boutique type place. The room was large and had a lovely view of the lake (it was a superior) and most importantly clean . The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in the pub and in the restaurant and both meals were very nice. The breakfast was just enough without leaving us feeling stuffed and good quality. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Inn on the Lake
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Best Western Glenridding Hotel? Share your experiences!