I have been visiting the beautiful lake district for over forty years and I have to say that this hotel is the best one that I have ever stayed in. My husband and I stayed here for three nights in a lake view superior room. The decor is beautiful and so are the views from the many, many windows in the various rooms. There is always somewhere to sit and read, relax or enjoy coffee or a glass or two of wine and we felt "at home" here.
The staff are obviously very highly trained and are friendly, polite and cheery. What a difference this makes to the hotel guest especially if you have come away to unwind or get away from "problems" or "work". There is a lovely calmness about the place, almost magical at times.
The food is extremely delicious and the staff in the dining rooms are superb. My husband is a plain eater and some of the dishes were too fancy for him but the staff did all they could to accommodate him. Even though the hotel was very full when we were there it was still quiet and the guests seemed to mostly be over 50. There were a few dogs staying as well, great if you do not mind dogs sitting in the public lounge whilst you are enjoying coffee, but if you dont....go elsewhere!.
As the dress code is smart for the evening it was lovely to get dressed for dinner and most people were suitably attired, BUT there were those who thought that a fleece top and crumpled chinos was suitable for a place such as this which did " lower the tone" as they say!. There were around 27 weddings here in August this year so I would say that this hotel is extremely popular for all ages and gatherings.
We though that our room was a little bit small for a "superior" as we got a chance to see the top four poster room and it was three times the size....lovely! However the balcony and the lovely decor made up for that. What spectacular views, well kept grounds and a lift. Essential for transportation to your second floor room after a fabulous six course dinner. What a fantastic place, four star at least! We are looking forward to our next stay (in the four poster room of course) Not cheap to stay here but well worth it.
Breakfast is served in the dining room between 8am and 10am which is lovely if you like a lie in as most people do on holiday. Good choice of food including cumbrian breakfast, kippers, pancakes, porridge and continental breakfast. I have to say that the staff are really excellent and I would have no hesitation in recommending The Inn on the lake to anyone.
My only real gripe would be that the bathroom was too small and not enough storage space in our room but this did not affect our enjoyment in any way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn on the Lake Hotel ia a 4 star hotel that enjoys one of the most spectacular settings in the Lake District in 15 acres of grounds with lawns sweeping to the shores of Lake Ullswater. The Inn on the Lake is only 12 miles from the M6 motorway and the drive is very dramatic with the road curving around the Lake and the backdrop scenery of the fells. There are 47 en-suite bedrooms, all thoughtfully designed with most rooms having breathtaking views, some looking towards the magnificent Helvellyn mountain range, while the majority look over the ever changing Ullswater. Each room is fully equipped with everything you come to expect in this quality 4 star hotel. For that special occasion upgrade to a superior room or one of the very popular, stunning four-poster bedrooms. From the moment you walk into reception you will find an interior that compliments this fabulous setting. This leads through to the popular Lounge Bar where a warm welcome awaits with large bay windows overlooking the well landscaped gardens, which lead to the hotels jetties on Ullswater. Enjoy a drink any time of the day, a light lunch or afternoon tea in the Lounge or on our Lakeside terrace. The award-winning 2 AA Rosette Lake View Restaurant provides something for all tastes, or for less formal dining The Ramblers Bar, situated within the hotel’s grounds, offers the option to enjoy a pint of real ale. The hotel also has its own outdoor activities including pitch & putt, croquet and children's outdoor play area. Gary and his team at The Inn on the Lake Hotel look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com and LateRooms so you can book your Inn on the Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On The Lake Hotel Glenridding
- Inn On The Lake Ullswater
- Inn On The Lake Glenridding, Lake District