Inn on the Lake
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Howtown Hotel(Howtown)
  • Breakfast included
Another Place, The Lake(Watermillock)
Forest Side(Grasmere)
The Lancrigg(Grasmere)
1,801 results
All reviewsramblers barfell view roomstunning locationafternoon teasconeswedding partywedding breakfastchristmas decorationsthe general managersteamersevery member of stafffeature roomhigh standardfantastic hotelvisited this hotelfantastic viewsmain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Travelled to the inn on the lake for Easter, had a lovely time, staff very welcoming and helpful, we had a carvery in the ramblers which was delicious, vegetables cooked to perfection and beef was lovely and tender. We will be returning In the not to distant future,

• Stayed: April 2014
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Spaniels03

We are so pleased you enjoyed your experience at the Inn On The Lake , the hotel looked spectacular in the bank holiday sunshine. The buffet worked very well and I'm pleased you really enjoyed your Ramblers lunch. I will pass on your very positive comments to all the staff and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Whenever we depart from a hotel, we always ask if we would go back.
For the price we paid per night through Hotels.com, the room, the food and the service was quite average. I think the hotel does have a lot of good points, but to differentiate it from an average hotel and a good or great hotel, the staff / food etc need to make it stand out.

We've stayed in a lot of hotels and eaten at a load of excellent restaurants, and never in my life have I had to sign the waiters order form when we've ordered starters & mains before. Similarly for the bottle of wine. Then, the waiter managed to order the wrong starter!
The following morning, we stood at the "Please wait to be seated" for a minute or so, and could easily hear staff chatting, so I walked into the staff area to find the waiter chatting to a couple of the waitresses. They then came scurrying out to seat the few people waiting.

That evening, having returned from the pub next door, we went to the bar in the hotel. Whilst try to get a drink for my wife and myself, even though the waiter was serving us, he kept stopping to assist another guest. Now, I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it wasnt the queen, and therefore they should wait their turn. I wasnt ordering 20 drinks and a ton of food. If it was the owner and his pals, then he'd know customer service is paramount. If he wasn't, then he should wait his turn. It maybe he was an owner of one of the 4 Maserati's in the car park, and therefore the waiter thought he'd be in for a big tip - not sure.

We paid for a "Superior Double" with a lakeside view, and you really can't fault the view; however, there wasn't really much 'superior' about it. The bed was literally a double, not a king or anything else, and it only fitted with a bit of room on the main side.

Finally, the Wifi was a bit random - every time you let your phone go to sleep, as soon as you try to re-open email or use the internet, it kept prompting you to "continue". Not the end of the world, but more of a nuisance.

In summary, great location, some good bits, but too many average bits to warrant a 4 or a 5 star rating. Maybe had the staff been more attentive on these 2 evenings, and following morning we'd have ignored the relatively small 'superior' room. But they didn't, so I give it a 3*

Room Tip: Double check what a double means, if you're hoping for a good sized bed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian B
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Ian

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I have had a meeting and taken your comments in writing and given a copy to all my front of house staff I’m sorry the service you say you received wasn't of the standard the hotel always tries to achieve.
The reference to the queen and the owner’s pals and people driving expensive sports cars is a little presumptuous and I can assure you that the staff don’t ask what car people drive or what they do for a living. The restaurant manager assured me that at breakfast you were waiting only a few minutes whilst he was instructing the staff about a certain disabled old lady who was coming down and the table she was to be allocated but again I apologise for the short delay. As for the rooms, 95% of the bedrooms have been refurbished in the last 3 years and we hardly ever receive negative comments about the standard of them but again I’m sorry it didn't meet your expectations.
We don’t take anything for granted and would certainly say we do not live on our location or reputation but do try to listen to constructive feedback and strengthen our reputation. I’m sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but I do wish you well in your future travels.

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Found this hotel through an amazon local deal, fantastic hotel set within stunning views of Ullswater.

Impressed with the room we were given, we booked a standard room but were given a water-front view overlooking the stunning gardens. 3 course meal was faultless, and the staff were more than accommodating as were very welcoming and friendly. We requested to eat our desserts in the orangery and they were more than happy to organise this.

After a fantastic nights sleep in a large and comfy bed we ate a delicious and hearty Cumbrian breakfast whilst watching the clouds reveal the hills surrounding the lake. Again, friendly service and always attentive to our needs.

All in all, our short stay here was more like 5 star luxury!

• Stayed: April 2014
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Jenna

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we made your birthday treat special. I will pass on your very kind comments to the staff and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our mini-moon in February. We were given a warm welcome on our arrival. The room was fantastic overlooking the fells and lake. The quality of the decoration and soft furnishings was beautiful and sympathetic to the age and style of hotel. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent. We stayed for four nights and were really impressed at the variety of choice on the menu. The social areas in the hotel were lovely and comfortable and perfect for wiling away a rainy afternoon. We had such a lovely stay that we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Lake and fell view room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear cbc267

Thank you for your lovely review and so pleased you enjoyed the style and service of the hotel. We have invested a lot of money in our refurbishment and its so pleasing to have such positive feedback. I will let all the staff know about your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April. There are many positives about the hotel - it has a wonderful position on Ullswater; the food in the restaurant is a very high standard; and our room overlooking the lake was both large and comfortable. Sadly, though, our stay was spoilt by disturbed sleep.

The trouble is that the Hotel seems to be very popular for weddings. There were wedding parties on two of the three nights that we stayed there. People were making their way to bed throughout the early hours of the morning, in various stages of "happiness" - which meant that we were disturbed several times on both nights.

I have some sympathy for the hotel, as wedding business is obviously profitable for them. We overheard a barman explaining to a wedding group that the bar never closes to guests, as the night porter will keep them supplied even after the bar staff have finished.

However, there is obviously a conflict between guests like ourselves, who want a good night's sleep after a day's walking and sightseeing - and guests who see the early hours as a culmination of a great days' celebration.

We spoke with the hotel General Manager, who assured us that the hotel tried to manage the interests of both groups. Sadly, on our visit at least, this didn't work - and the revellers won !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geoffhailz

Dear Geoff

Thank you for your very kind words and I'm so pleased there were many things you enjoyed during your stay. I do remember talking to you and had a meeting with my night manager and the groom from the day immediately after you left. It was in fact a walking group that were on the noisy side who were with us for a short break and seemingly the wedding were very well behaved. We do police the night situation very closely and have a manager on throughout the night who explained to guests only residents will be served at the bar after hours. I do wish you would of phoned down and he would of gladly resolved the situation but again please accept my most sincere apologies for the break in your sleep. I hope it didn't have too much of a negative impact and we would love to welcome you back again .