“Put simply, "EXCELLENT"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Preston, United Kingdom
“Put simply, "EXCELLENT"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We are very local to the Inn on the Lake, Ullswater and have always gone there for afternoon tea, evening dinner etc and always found it to be really good.
My wife and I have just had our first child (4 weeks old) combined with it being my birthday we wanted to go somewhere fairly local for my birthday and also test out how our little girl would get along on her first trip....
We booked two nights in one of the new "Feature Lake Rooms"
We met my parents for afternoon tea on the day that we arrived and sat in the new "Orangery" which was simply stunning.
Our room was amazing, it really is of a 5* standard and the views are simply stunning. Living local we sometimes take the views for granted, but it is like something off a postcard (room 43)

The staff at the Inn on the Lake are so helpful, Gary the manager has a team to be proud of! So often these days service can be so hit and miss but all the staff at the Inn on the Lake have a genuine pride in there work and a genuine pride in wanting to provide an exceptional service.

Thankyou Gary and also pass on our thanks to your team. In particular we found the food to be excellent and the restuarant staff to be exceptional. They really looked after all three of us and our little 4 week old daughter was really calm and slept so well.

We will see you very very soon and hope to book our Christening party at the Inn on the Lake.

Thankyou again so much for what was a wonderful stay,

Christian, Annie and Isla

Room Tip: We had a feature room (43) the room is newly refurbished to a 5* standard and the view is simply stu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Christian

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you had a great time and the babies first outing was one to remember. We had a lovely conversation before you left and I passed your comments on to the staff who in return thought you were a delight to look after. I will pass them on again and we look forward to seeing you very soon.

Gary Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at the hotel following a booking through Living Social at £149 for Dinner, Bed & Breakfast. It was for our 1st wedding anniversary and as we have 2 young children we were thoroughly looking forward to a lovely relaxing stay.

Upon arrival the hotel looked beautiful set in a fantastic location.

As we made our way to reception we noticed that there was fairly large wedding reception with guests milling around. At reception we were greeted by the receptionist who was very perfunctory and polite if lacking in friendliness. We had to ask about the requirements for our dinner i.e. bookings etc.

We made our way to our room which was a 'standard' room and absolutely lived up to it's name. If you book a standard room don't expect anything special or out of the ordinary. It is literally a very small room with quite tired furniture. The bed was relatively comfortable and the bathroom quite large - although the bath itself was very small. I'm only 5ft and I was unable to lie back and stretch my legs out. Our room overlooked a fantastic view of....the carpark. Although if you lay on the bed at the right angle you got a lovely view of the fells.

We had been given a complimentary voucher for tea & scones which we took down to The Orangery which is an absolutely gorgeous room. I handed the voucher to the waiter who looked at it as if I'd handed him a snotty tissue and he didn't know what to do with it. We were seated at a table for 2 at the back of The Orangery with a lovely view of...the carpark as all of the other tables were 'set up for people having Afternoon Tea'. Annoying considering there was a table for 2 available overlooking the lake. He then brought us our cream tea which was average. The cream appeared to be the canned squirty variety - a bit weird.

We then thought we would head to The Ramblers bar which is the little pub attached to the hotel. A sign on the door told us we would not be able to use the bar after 5pm due to a private function. Annoying. The bar itself is a really lovely rustic pub feeling and I found the bar manager to be very friendly - as was the young lad waiting on. The drinks were reasonably priced and we had some sandwiches which they agreed to make for us despite the bar due to close in 30 mins for the private party. A big tick to the staff there.

We then went back to the hotel thinking we could enjoy a nice glass of wine and finally enjoy the view of the Lake (afterall that's why we had chosen the place). We ordered our drinks (again I felt these were reasonably priced) and were advised very abruptly that as we weren't part of the wedding party we were not allowed to use the bar area but may take our drinks to the other area by the fire. One of the wedding party who was being served at the time said' wow that's you told' - which says it all. We took our drinks through to the lounge and took a seat to drink them with a gorgeous view of...you guessed it - the carpark!

At this point I was beginning to become quite annoyed at being treated like second class citizen. Having paid to use the hotel and it's facilities large parts of it were off limits.

After having a drink we retired to our room to get ready for dinner.

For dinner we went down to The restaurant and we were greeted by the real jewel in this restaurant's crown - the restaurant manager. Unfortunately I didn't get his name but his customer service skills were superb and he had two new members of staff on with him who he was patiently training and who were also doing a great job. We were advised that we couldn't use the other side of the restaurant as this was reserved for (yawn) the wedding. We were then seated at a table where I got a great view of the wall (sadly not what I envisaged of a lovely large restaurant with open views across the lake). My husband stayed with the table d'hote menu and I upgraded to the a la carte (mainly because I would have chosen the exact same dishes as my husband and wanted to experience some of the other dishes).

Now I want to be as balanced as possible and I completely accept this may be down to personal taste & pallet rather than the chef.

We were given a chefs veloute (my husband given a complimentary one) which made me gag. It came in a shot glass and included a puree of red cabbage. My husband managed half a shot glass full before saying ti was too much. I had literally 2 spoons of it which made me heave. It could quite possibly be a personal taste thing but I just didn't like it.

For starter my husband had the asian squid salad which was DELICIOUS. I had the pan seared pigeon breast which was overcooked and tasted like kidneys - quite rubbery. Nevertheless it was edible and beautifully presented.

For main my husband had Lakeland lamb rump which was absolutely exquisite. It was beautifully cooked and absolutely delicious. I had cod which had a crispy skin and was really well cooked. It was a really delicious piece of fish. Unfortunately accompanying it was a chicken wing and a tiny bit of bouilabaisse which was really unpleasant and tasted like washing up liquid. Again it may be personal taste but I was happy to just leave that and enjoy the fish. I had deconstucted black forest gateau and husband had mini chocolate pot and both were lovely
** On hearing it was our anniversary, our deserts were served on plates with 'Happy Anniversary' on them in chocolate. A lovely touch and testament to the customer service skills of the restaurant manager.

After dinner we went into the lounge to have coffee. It was now fully open but was too dark to enjoy any views. We ordered a bottle of wine and took it to out room to enjoy. The room was very warm so we had to have the window open. Unfortunately the room was at the front of the hotel overlooking The Ramblers Bar where the wedding reception was taking place. It was like sitting outside a disco you weren't invited to. It was really loud and the guests sounded like they were having a fab time (more power to them - so you should on your wedding). However it made it fairly unpleasant for us.

We decided to go to sleep about 11.30 and the music continued on. We felt really there wasn;t anything we could do about this as the hotel wasn't about to turn the disco off early to suit us. Following this at a bout 12-12.30 once the music did stop there were a number of guests under the window talking loudly, shouting farewells etc which was again really disturbing. I'd like to stress again that the wedding party itself were not at fault but it seems remiss of the hotel to put us in the room they did knowing that there was a party on in the bar! I imagine the noise would have been diminished by shutting the window but the room was so hot and airless that we had to have it open.

Finally we managed to get to sleep and were woken at 9 by Housekeeping coming in on us. My husband feels the fault was ours for not putting a 'Do Not Disturb' sign up but I don;t understand how difficult it can be to only clean the rooms of people who have already checked out?? I paid for the room until 11 so please don;t come into it until after that time.

At breakfast we were greeted at the other side of the restaurant to where we had eaten the previous night. It was lovely with large windows and view of the lake. We were then led THROUGH there and back into the other tiny dining room as we weren't 'part of the wedding party'. We were seated quickly at a table near the back. The restaurant manager recognised us from the previous evening and remembered we were only staying one night. He then asked if we would like a Lake view (thank god - at last) we said we did and he proceeded to clean down an empty table and seat us. Finally we got the view of the Lake that we had come to the hotel for (although slighlty obscured by the fact the windows we were looking out of were though the fire door. This was fine I was just glad to see out). Breakfast was lovely, the coffee was hot and the staff again in the restaurant were impeccably polite.

Upon checkout I was asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I told Thomas, the receptionist, that it was 'ok'. I advised that the wedding party had been an issue and if I had been told about it at booking - I wouldn't have booked. I advised him about the noise and his response was that we should have called down to reception. A little ridiculous, as previously stated, what were the hotel going to do? Cut the wedding reception short?? That was it. No apology, no 'I will pass your comments on'. We were just handed the bill and he made a comment about what good value the Living Social deal was, as otherwise our stay would have cost £300. £300! If I'd paid that I would have been having a breakdown at how disappointing it was. As it was the deal wasn't even worth what we paid for it.

We have come away feeling very disappointed. This was special night away for our wedding anniversary that will now just remain a bad memory. We had looked forward to a relaxing break, drinking wine and looking out across the Lake and received none of the above.

Would we return - no. Despite the attention from the restaurant manager taking this from a 1 star to a 2 star rating.

Room Tip: Standard means standard (average). If you are expecting something special you will need to get your...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Amy M
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Amy

Thank you for your very in-depth review. I was shocked upon reading it, and have carefully considered each point. I would like to thank you for the compliments that you have given, but when people say things like "snotty tissue," and "we were treated like second class citizens," I wonder does it say more about how you were feeling about yourself, than the way we were treating you. No other guests have raised any concerns about their service on the day. We do not inform our staff what breaks our guests are on, so they wouldn't know how much you paid.

I have spoken to the bar staff and their description of events differs from yours, they thought they were being helpful by stated we have tables free in the fire lounge and newly opened Orangery, which has amazing views of the Lake wherever you sit.

I expect my staff to achieve the highest standards of service and testament to this are the amazing other reviews and the numerous thank you letters. Therefore, I am very surprised that any of my staff would treat a guest in the way you describe. The Orangery and Fireside lounge are set aside for any guests not attending the wedding so that they can enjoy the most spectacular views in Cumbria, in peace and quiet, with full use of their own bar and amenities. We will always try to seat guests on a lake view table if one is available. We have a responsibility for the enjoyment of all our guests, so we can and will take action if any guests are having an negative impact on the enjoyment and experience of other hotel users.

We have numerous standards of rooms up to Lake View Feature and it clearly states on your confirmation letter that the Standards rooms do not have a view. However, if you wished to pay an extra amount you would have been guaranteed a Lake View room with the stunning views over Ullswater. The hotel this year we have already completed a refurbished programme of 14 rooms.

Let me wish you well in your future travels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I honestly can not recommend the inn on the lake enough....
The hotel is amazing and so is the location.
We got married here 25/4/14 and there isn't one thing we could fault. Out pictures are unreal with beautiful setting and amazing views, all our guests just couldn't believe how lovely the hotel is.

Jonathan, the wedding manager, is excellent he totally put us at ease as soon as we got there, nothing was to much for him, he had everything done before we had even thought about it, he is an absolute credit to the hotel and made our day perfect. Jonathan and his team set everything up beautifully and just how we had planned. He had everything timed perfectly, kept us informed with what was happening next and where we need to be. My daughter was traveller sick on the way to the wedding and Jonathan even took her comfort blanket off to be laundered for her, life saver. I honestly can not tell you how professional he is.

The food for the wedding breakfast was faultless. Everyone commented on how tasty it was. The hog roast in the evening was amazing.

The staff on reception checked all our guests into their rooms quickly and easily, the rooms were perfect and very clean.

Thank you so much to everyone at The Inn On The Lake you are honestly amazing!!!!!!
We are already planning our next visit here and can not wait.

Dear Beth

Thank you for your very kind review, we are so very pleased your day lived up to your expectations and I will let John and the team know of your very kind comments. just for the record it was me who washed the babies comfort blanket,, your poor father was panicking that his granddaughter wouldn't settle but all is well that ends well. We hope to see you in the not too distant future but on behalf of me and my team we wish you and your family much happiness for the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I went with my sister to the inn on the lake for Easter. Lunch was fantastic and food very tasty. We also had afternoon tea in the orangery, again which was lovely. Staff were lovely and very friendly, always available had there have been an issue. Lovely place, lives up to its name with picturesque views.

1 Thank Victoriajane92
Dear Victoria Jane

Thank you for your very kind words on trip advisor. The bank holiday was so busy but I'm pleased you enjoyed the great weather and the Ramblers buffet. I hope you visit again very soon and I will pass on your very kind comments to my team.

Cramlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Travelled to the inn on the lake for Easter, had a lovely time, staff very welcoming and helpful, we had a carvery in the ramblers which was delicious, vegetables cooked to perfection and beef was lovely and tender. We will be returning In the not to distant future,

Dear Spaniels03

We are so pleased you enjoyed your experience at the Inn On The Lake , the hotel looked spectacular in the bank holiday sunshine. The buffet worked very well and I'm pleased you really enjoyed your Ramblers lunch. I will pass on your very positive comments to all the staff and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Whenever we depart from a hotel, we always ask if we would go back.
For the price we paid per night through Hotels.com, the room, the food and the service was quite average. I think the hotel does have a lot of good points, but to differentiate it from an average hotel and a good or great hotel, the staff / food etc need to make it stand out.

We've stayed in a lot of hotels and eaten at a load of excellent restaurants, and never in my life have I had to sign the waiters order form when we've ordered starters & mains before. Similarly for the bottle of wine. Then, the waiter managed to order the wrong starter!
The following morning, we stood at the "Please wait to be seated" for a minute or so, and could easily hear staff chatting, so I walked into the staff area to find the waiter chatting to a couple of the waitresses. They then came scurrying out to seat the few people waiting.

That evening, having returned from the pub next door, we went to the bar in the hotel. Whilst try to get a drink for my wife and myself, even though the waiter was serving us, he kept stopping to assist another guest. Now, I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it wasnt the queen, and therefore they should wait their turn. I wasnt ordering 20 drinks and a ton of food. If it was the owner and his pals, then he'd know customer service is paramount. If he wasn't, then he should wait his turn. It maybe he was an owner of one of the 4 Maserati's in the car park, and therefore the waiter thought he'd be in for a big tip - not sure.

We paid for a "Superior Double" with a lakeside view, and you really can't fault the view; however, there wasn't really much 'superior' about it. The bed was literally a double, not a king or anything else, and it only fitted with a bit of room on the main side.

Finally, the Wifi was a bit random - every time you let your phone go to sleep, as soon as you try to re-open email or use the internet, it kept prompting you to "continue". Not the end of the world, but more of a nuisance.

In summary, great location, some good bits, but too many average bits to warrant a 4 or a 5 star rating. Maybe had the staff been more attentive on these 2 evenings, and following morning we'd have ignored the relatively small 'superior' room. But they didn't, so I give it a 3*

Room Tip: Double check what a double means, if you're hoping for a good sized bed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ian B
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Ian

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I have had a meeting and taken your comments in writing and given a copy to all my front of house staff I’m sorry the service you say you received wasn't of the standard the hotel always tries to achieve.
The reference to the queen and the owner’s pals and people driving expensive sports cars is a little presumptuous and I can assure you that the staff don’t ask what car people drive or what they do for a living. The restaurant manager assured me that at breakfast you were waiting only a few minutes whilst he was instructing the staff about a certain disabled old lady who was coming down and the table she was to be allocated but again I apologise for the short delay. As for the rooms, 95% of the bedrooms have been refurbished in the last 3 years and we hardly ever receive negative comments about the standard of them but again I’m sorry it didn't meet your expectations.
We don’t take anything for granted and would certainly say we do not live on our location or reputation but do try to listen to constructive feedback and strengthen our reputation. I’m sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but I do wish you well in your future travels.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Found this hotel through an amazon local deal, fantastic hotel set within stunning views of Ullswater.

Impressed with the room we were given, we booked a standard room but were given a water-front view overlooking the stunning gardens. 3 course meal was faultless, and the staff were more than accommodating as were very welcoming and friendly. We requested to eat our desserts in the orangery and they were more than happy to organise this.

After a fantastic nights sleep in a large and comfy bed we ate a delicious and hearty Cumbrian breakfast whilst watching the clouds reveal the hills surrounding the lake. Again, friendly service and always attentive to our needs.

All in all, our short stay here was more like 5 star luxury!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Jenna

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we made your birthday treat special. I will pass on your very kind comments to the staff and we hope to see you again very soon.

Gary Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
BEST WESTERN Glenridding Hotel
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!