“Four stars well deserved”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Sunderland. Co. Durham
“Four stars well deserved”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We booked a two night stay at this hotel and hoped for the best. That is exactly what we got. Reception was superb and the service has to be experienced to be believed. The food is of the quality one would wish for and was very well presented. The staff, without exception were friendly and helpful in every way and our Thursday stay was the sort of peaceful perfection we had hoped for. Regrettably the Friday evening got off to a poor start with the arrival of a group who seemed to feel the need to shout to each other in the bar and also to allow their feral children to roam unchecked. Why do they feel they have the right to inflict them on humans? Dinner that evening was more like the Chimps Tea Party but the hotel staff at least had them all corralled in a separate room. Another triumph for well-trained personnel. Highly recommended. Expensive but here you really do get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Redcap

Thank you for your very kind comments on trip adviser. It is so pleasing when people let you know of the wonderful time they experienced at the hotel..I will pass on your very kind words to all my team who take great pride in the service they offer and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Gary Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We've just come back from a fabulous 3 night stay here for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful and the room (a standard) was clean and comfortable, exactly what I expected. The bed was really big and comfortable and the bathroom looked newly done. We occasionally heard the lift but that wasn't late in the evening, so no problem to us really.

We had dinner here 2 nights and the waiting staff, both at breakfast and evening time were outstanding. I cannot find one complaint here, the food was lovely and although there may have been a wedding in the hotel, you never heard the party.

We did change things with dinner reservations and ordered last minute packed lunches ( for climbing Helvelyn)and they were always helpful. What was nice was that it never seemed as if we caused them a problem, exactly what I would expect from a 4* hotel.

Whilst at the hotel we had a early evening run, a nice day in Keswick and challenging walk up Helvelyn, (the weather in the valley is not what you will find on top of the mountain)

All in all a tperfect stay.

Dear Yarmy3

Thank you for taking time to write your lovely review of your stay at the hotel. I read all the comment cards and feedback forms and the one thing that gives me the most pleasure is the comments about how professional and friendly the staff are. I will pass on your very kind comments to all my staff and wish you well .

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked a one night stay with dinner at the Inn on the Lake for my parents as a treat for mum's birthday. While I must stress I was not there myself, she has reported back to me in the most effusive terms that it was a 5 star experience from beginning to end, and I can't thank the hotel and the staff enough for making it such a wonderful stay for her. She tells me that the hotel was immaculate and luxurious throughout, and the location breathtaking. They stayed in a lake view room, which was fabulously spacious and had an enormous bay window to make the most of the stunning views.The waiting staff at dinner were incredibly helpful and friendly, and all the food and wine first rate. Her dessert even included a Happy Birthday message piped in chocolate, which was a lovely touch. On hearing these reports, I am slightly envious to have not been there myself, but would not hesitate to book a stay for husband and I based on this experience!

Thanks again to all that hotel for making this such a special experience for my mum.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear faye
I am so pleased your mother enjoyed her stay at the hotel and her birthday was a memorable one. The chefs enjoy doing the special occasion plates and your mother looked very surprised and seemed to enjoy her treat. I will pass on your special thanks to the team and we hope you all come visit in the not too distant future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We do not normally take the time to write reviews about hotels and holidays but we feel our experience at Inn on the Lake warrants an exception.

My wife and I together with our little dog Lily visited the Inn on the Lake on 07-May-2014 for a two night stay.

The hotel looked fantastic as we arrived, even in the rain!

We were met by the receptionist who could not have been more helpful. (Sorry we didn't get the ladies name) but she made a complete fuss of Lily every time she saw her!

We had a fell view room which was lovely and came complete with a doggy basket and bowl, which we thought was a nice touch

We were informed, and rightly so that dogs were not allowed in the main restaurant but were allowed to be left in the bedroom whilst we ate.

Lily is normally very good so we decided to eat in the restaurant down stairs. 20 minutes later whilst having a pre dinner glass of wine we were informed by reception that Lily was barking. (Sorry to surrounding rooms). As dogs were not allowed in the restaurant we prepared to eat room service. The staff would have none of this and offered to look after Lily behind the reception whilst we ate or they would set us up a table in the Orangery. We chose the latter and had a wonderful meal with views of the lake and Lily asleep under the table.

The staff and in particular Darren and Jackson could not do enough for us. They even set a table for us for breakfast both mornings to accommodate our needs.

Overall the hotel is really impressive and 1415140262the staff are so friendly they really are a credit to this hotel and if you are thinking of visiting the lake district with or without a dog I would highly recommend this hotel, we will most definitely be coming back soon.

Room Tip: We had a fell view room which had a view of both the lake and the fell. Room 60.
3 Thank Jane R
Dear Jane
It was lovely of you to take time to review the hotel on this site. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and little lily wasn't left out, the girls behind reception enjoyed her company. I will pass on your comments to my staff who take great pride in the service they offer and indeed it is such lovely guests that give us tremendous job satisfaction. We hope to see you all again in the not too distant future.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Our friends were getting married in the local church and the reception was in the hotel. We had booked for the night. We loved the location, the views from the room over Ullswater and the service. Special thanks to Dave the Duty Manager when D fell over her heels and bust her ankle, the bucket of ice and a towel were soon supplied and helped keep the swelling down. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DaveandDoreen
Dear Dave and Doreen

Thank you for your very kind review. The hotel is set in the most spectacular location and I’m so pleased it lived up to your expectations. The day went so well and the bride and groom were so happy which in turn makes us very proud. I hope your ankle has recovered and your back to running around. I will pass on your personal thanks to all my team and hope to see you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Thank you inn on the lake we had a wonderful day on my daughters wedding day April 6 2014.Great hotel with brilliant staff. Food was great and very tasty.many thanks you made it a family day to remember

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight at the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Kay

Thank you for your very kind words. We are so pleased you had the day that both you, your family and friends deserved. It was a pleasure to host your daughters wedding and your guests were a credit to you . I will pass on your comments to the team who take great pride in the service they offer. Once again thank you and hope to see you in the not too distant future.

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Got a very good deal, through Amazon. Half price- one night dinner bed and breakfast.
The Hotel- as it "says on the tin"- directly on the Lake, with its own small jetty.
Lawns, and the exterior of the hotel excellent. The short drive to the big car park- impressive.
Staff- all, without exeption - friendly, efficient, and generally eager to please.
Rooms- think there where 3 types of room. 1) lake view- expensive. 2) fell view - 3) standard rooms- cheapest.
We had 1- lake view- brill, bay window, top quality furnishings/fitments. and a Fell View- very good.
Food and restaurant- Faultless.
Fantastic, quiet, excellent hotel.
Yes- we will be going back.
Overall - Highly rated, treat yourself type of Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank edwardtate
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Edward

Thank you for writing such lovely comments about your stay at the hotel, it is very much appreciated and I will pass your comments on to my staff who take great pride in the service they offer.

Gary Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!