“Loud drunks and a helicopter training school at a hotel in paradise”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Los Angeles
“Loud drunks and a helicopter training school at a hotel in paradise”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am currently a guest at the Inn on the Lake, in my second night of a two-night stay as part of a Coast to Coast trekking trip with National Geographic Adventures. After strenuous hiking all day yesterday we returned to the hotel for dinner and a well-deserved rest. My wife and I headed up to room number 61 at about 9pm. As mentioned by another reviewer, the hotel is beautifully situated on the lake, but unfortunately, it's is also adjacent to a pub. Room 61 overlooks the pub and an outdoor seating area with wood tables and benches. There was a loud band and many attendees who we're singing, shouting and were generally having what sounded like a great time. All I wanted, however, was a good night's sleep so I called the reception desk at 11:30pm to complain. I was told that the band would stop playing at mid-night, which was true but the recollections of good times had and yet to come continued unabated in the parking lot under our window. I called the reception desk again at 12:30am, but it became clear that the noise would end only when the last intoxicated reveler was ready to leave. That happened a bit after 1am. So much for that well-deserved rest. I finally fell asleep at about 2:30am after shouting some unprintable remarks from my window to a loud drunk man in the parking lot and I decided to forego today's 11 mile hike on 4hours sleep. I'm not sure my Blue Cross insurance works here in the UK.
Our National Geographic tour coordinator adeptly arranged for us to change rooms and I was planning spending some quiet time reading and enjoying the lake scenery after taking a nap to catch up on the sleep lost last night. But after no more than 20 minutes I was abruptly awoken by the first of three black helicopters hovering directly in front of my window. I am not making this up! I don't think I Googled anything inappropriate. Helicopter number 89 it turns out is with the Defense Flying School and has landed on the lawn just to the left of my bay window. It is followed by helicopter number 62 and then helicopter number 67. Currently 12 of the crew members are having lunch outside my window. They are all in good spirits as I can hear their entire discussion. Is this part of a bad joke? The pilots finally finished their lunch and are now once again taking to the sky. I'm going to attempt that nap one more time but I fear there may be a marching bad arriving momentarily.
If in the area again, I will choose another hotel that sounds neither like a late night bar nor airport. Such a location would be far more in keeping with the beauty of this area.

Room Tip: Avoid the rear rooms facing the car park and pub. Bring ear plugs. Check the helicopter flight scho...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Avo A
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Avo

Firstly let me apologise for what you say was your experience at the hotel.

We work extremely closely with National Geographic for a number of years now, hosting a number of walking trips and this is the first negative review we have received from the group.
I am at a loss as to what to say to you with regards to the shouting, as you were the main issue hanging out of your window, shouting at the top of your voice words that were completely inappropriate and certainly upset other residents. The Ramblers bar hosted a disco, NOT a band and it was finished at midnight. The incident happened at 12.15 am when paying resident’s not loud drunks were making their way back into the hotel. Ramblers bar was locked and all staff vacated by 12.30am. We received no other complaints or comments from the rooms next to you or on that side of the hotel as the music is on a limiter and therefore volume is restricted.
You made personal insults to a number of staff members from your arrival to the hotel. One insult being, a waiter asked for a signature for drinks to go to a ladies room who by the way wasn’t with you, she asked why do you need a signature and you intervened and replied by saying “he is going to take it away and learn a little literacy”. You also spoke inappropriately to three further members of staff and upset them .
You put in your review that the guide moved your room; this is inaccurate as we moved you to one of the best rooms in the hotel, a Lake View room and I instructed the reception and management team to do everything within our power to keep you happy.
Three helicopters landed throughout the day which I must admit is unusual, most guests are very impressed and take a number of pictures. We have a helipad and we are set in 15 acres of grounds, they don’t arrive before 11.30 am. The pilot was having a private conversation whilst having lunch you were two floors up from the garden terrace so you must have been listening intently.
Several members of your group apologised on your behalf and we had no other complaints, it was a pleasure to have the rest of the party with us.
I wish you well in your future travels
G Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Croxley Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked this on a voucher site with meal deal. Wasn't cheap but turned out to be excellent value. This stay was fantastic, the hotel is situated beautifully with the Lake in front and mountains around. There is easy access to good walks at any level. We were given a room upgrade and the room was fantastic with a huge comfy bed and bathroom with Jacuzzi and shower. Large flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities were provided. We were given tea and scones on arrival and ate dinner that evening and full English breakfast as part of the package. All were excellent.
Staff were very good and the guy at reception was super helpful, I also got cash back at reception which helped loads. Everywhere was well cleaned
overall an excellent stay and I would be back like a shot if I can get a similar deal

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Mike

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Inn on the Lake and got out to explore the amazing scenery that surrounds the hotel. I will let the staff know of your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This was one place where we wanted to go even after being booked at windermere....so we started off for this place after seeing couple of pictures....it was raining and a little scary as we took the mountain route....but it was worth the risk. ..Although we were there for coffee and tea...The staff was wonderful, although they were busy with a wedding at that time . Would love to come back and stay. ..simply for the view.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aryamitsonu
Dear reviewer

Thank you for making the journey across the kirkstone pass and I am so pleased it was worth the effort of the narrow roads but amazing scenery. Your comments about the staff are very much appreciated and regardless of having a coffee or staying with us it’s very important you feel looked after. We look forward to the time you come and stay with us and until then let me wish you well.

Bedlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Staff were so friendly and made us feel very welcome, helped us carry our things to our room. Always said hello & goodbye whenever we left and came back into the hotel after a day out. The most exceptional thing they did was change our room after we mentioned that we couldn't sleep because of constant sounds from the kitchen below...they changed it to one of the best rooms in the hotel with a view without extra charge!

Such a beautiful location, we definitely recommend this hotel :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Naomi
Thank you for your very kind review and I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff here do take great pride in the service they offer and it’s so pleasing to hear that they made your stay so pleasurable. We hope to see you again very soon.
merseyside
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A perfect venue for a wedding, we stayed in April the sun shone and with the help of the very friendly staff we had the most wonderful weekend.
Early morning coffee on the balcony listening to the birds singing, fabulous! ok the room was on the small side but the balcony certainly made up for it beautifully furnished and very clean and comfortable.
We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Larger rooms are without a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Marion
Thank you for your very kind words. The hotel is beautiful and set in the most stunning location and when lucky enough and get wonderful weather its exquisite. So pleased the staff made your time with us special and we look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.
North East
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel on May 18th and enjoyed it so much we returned two days later. On a previous stay we had been given a small lake view room with balcony which although lovely was slightly cramped. On booking I requested a larger room which was perfect. From arriving to leaving all the staff were welcoming and professional and nothing was too much trouble. Despite the fact there was a wedding going on the levels of service were not compromised at all. We look forward to returning soon. We have previously stayed at other hotels within the same group and this is our new favourite.

Room Tip: Lake view and fell rooms have lovely views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gizmo1488
Dear Gizmo
Thank you for your lovely review. It fills me with pride to hear the staff went beyond the norm to make your stay so pleasurable, it’s so important to us to know that our guests are looked after and feel they are getting the attention they deserve. I hope you visit us again very soon but until then let me wish you well.
Huddersfield
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked a couple of nights to attend a wedding.......difficult as we were wedding guests but our 2 night stay was very poor........not the wedding which was lovely. No offer to carry bags we are elderly and directions to room were conveyed by hand waving. Room which we knew would have no view was very pokey.....space and wardrobe provision indicated a single room with double bed.
Took two hours to be served evening meal we eventually cancelled the one dessert(an ice-cream). Females addressed constantly by waiter as sweetheart, dear and love. Breakfast was served at a table for 8, 2 other guests were already eating which we didn't mind but the table was covered with the remnants of the other 4 guests breakfast no one attempted to clear. The food was well served at the wedding and was well presented but the waiter appeared to think women drank rose wine and questioned whether I really required red and addressed me as dear. I noticed all the men were sir and women dear or sweet heart. When we checked out next day i was pressed as to my opinion and the receptionist insisted on calling the manager when I said I wasn't sure I would recommend the hotel.....she really pressed me. When I told the manager he explained that noone else had ever complained they all enjoyed the over familiar attitude and he had letters to prove it. I asked if he would like to be addressed in such away He was oblivious to my comment. Management skills zero.

Room Tip: Insist on a proper double room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mitchell760
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Mrs Mitchel
I am sorry you didn't enjoyed your stay at the Inn on the Lake Hotel. However I do remember you talking to me as you left and I feel it only fair to respond accurately to your rather unfair review. To use such strong language as sexism is harsh in the extreme and I would be within my right to have this review removed but I would rather answer to your strong allegation. It’s been quite a while since you stayed so I’m surprised you have left it so long to comment.
You were quite forthright in your tone when talking with me and having listened to you stating that the waiter was inappropriate to which I said I didn't think he was inappropriate but from what you were saying he was over familiar but merely trying to be friendly to a large group of people having a good time at the wedding on that day, I promised you I would talk to him, which I did. The waiter you mention does receive by far the most positive comment s as he is always willing to go the extra mile for the guests but his friendly nature had on this occasion over stepped the mark. He was very upset about the fact he had offended a guest and deeply apologised just saying the table he was serving were so nice and friendly and promised he wouldn't use the word dear again and it wasn't meant to offend.
The room you were allocated is beautiful newly refurbished, and is by no means a single room with a double bed so forgive me for not agreeing with your comments. You mentioned nothing to me about your dissatisfaction with the room or about any other part of your stay whilst talking to me. I’m quite taken aback as it totally contradicts everyone else’s opinion who attended the wedding in fact we received so compliments on the day of departure.
We do have porter available for luggage and I do not understand how you were not offered this as it is part of the check-in procedure but I will bring this up with my reception.
As far as my management skills been zero this again this is another statement with out basis. I take great pride in what we endeavor to provide at this hotel and always listen to constructive criticism but this is fine when given constructive feedback but not when it becomes personal.
Gary Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!