I am currently a guest at the Inn on the Lake, in my second night of a two-night stay as part of a Coast to Coast trekking trip with National Geographic Adventures. After strenuous hiking all day yesterday we returned to the hotel for dinner and a well-deserved rest. My wife and I headed up to room number 61 at about 9pm. As mentioned by another reviewer, the hotel is beautifully situated on the lake, but unfortunately, it's is also adjacent to a pub. Room 61 overlooks the pub and an outdoor seating area with wood tables and benches. There was a loud band and many attendees who we're singing, shouting and were generally having what sounded like a great time. All I wanted, however, was a good night's sleep so I called the reception desk at 11:30pm to complain. I was told that the band would stop playing at mid-night, which was true but the recollections of good times had and yet to come continued unabated in the parking lot under our window. I called the reception desk again at 12:30am, but it became clear that the noise would end only when the last intoxicated reveler was ready to leave. That happened a bit after 1am. So much for that well-deserved rest. I finally fell asleep at about 2:30am after shouting some unprintable remarks from my window to a loud drunk man in the parking lot and I decided to forego today's 11 mile hike on 4hours sleep. I'm not sure my Blue Cross insurance works here in the UK.
Our National Geographic tour coordinator adeptly arranged for us to change rooms and I was planning spending some quiet time reading and enjoying the lake scenery after taking a nap to catch up on the sleep lost last night. But after no more than 20 minutes I was abruptly awoken by the first of three black helicopters hovering directly in front of my window. I am not making this up! I don't think I Googled anything inappropriate. Helicopter number 89 it turns out is with the Defense Flying School and has landed on the lawn just to the left of my bay window. It is followed by helicopter number 62 and then helicopter number 67. Currently 12 of the crew members are having lunch outside my window. They are all in good spirits as I can hear their entire discussion. Is this part of a bad joke? The pilots finally finished their lunch and are now once again taking to the sky. I'm going to attempt that nap one more time but I fear there may be a marching bad arriving momentarily.
If in the area again, I will choose another hotel that sounds neither like a late night bar nor airport. Such a location would be far more in keeping with the beauty of this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn on the Lake Hotel ia a 4 star hotel that enjoys one of the most spectacular settings in the Lake District in 15 acres of grounds with lawns sweeping to the shores of Lake Ullswater. The Inn on the Lake is only 12 miles from the M6 motorway and the drive is very dramatic with the road curving around the Lake and the backdrop scenery of the fells. There are 47 en-suite bedrooms, all thoughtfully designed with most rooms having breathtaking views, some looking towards the magnificent Helvellyn mountain range, while the majority look over the ever changing Ullswater. Each room is fully equipped with everything you come to expect in this quality 4 star hotel. For that special occasion upgrade to a superior room or one of the very popular, stunning four-poster bedrooms. From the moment you walk into reception you will find an interior that compliments this fabulous setting. This leads through to the popular Lounge Bar where a warm welcome awaits with large bay windows overlooking the well landscaped gardens, which lead to the hotels jetties on Ullswater. Enjoy a drink any time of the day, a light lunch or afternoon tea in the Lounge or on our Lakeside terrace. The award-winning 2 AA Rosette Lake View Restaurant provides something for all tastes, or for less formal dining The Ramblers Bar, situated within the hotel’s grounds, offers the option to enjoy a pint of real ale. The hotel also has its own outdoor activities including pitch & putt, croquet and children's outdoor play area. Gary and his team at The Inn on the Lake Hotel look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Hotel.de so you can book your Inn on the Lake reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn On The Lake Hotel Glenridding
- Inn On The Lake Ullswater
- Inn On The Lake Glenridding, Lake District