“Beautiful setting, not over accomodating”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
York, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, not over accomodating”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my second visit to Inn on the Lake, both times we travelled as a couple. The first time was last year for our friends wedding, the setting is absolutely beautiful and we had a fantastic weekend. The problems I found the second time around was the lack of veggie food, the veggie menu had a number of items on it that infact were not veggie at all!! When it came to breakfast the manager told me there was no veggie sausage, when i asked for an alternative he rudely pointed to the menu and said 'some less meaty options' (mushroom and egg). I took my complaint up with the general manager who was very considerate and listened to what we had to say, he spoke to us for a while and stated what HE could do to better HIS hotel and restaurant, however there was nothing that could be done for us, the paying customers at £150 per night...... beautiful setting, overall disappointment.

2 Thank grace R
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Grace

Thank you for posting your review and I’m so pleased you thought the hotel was beautiful and enjoyed the setting.
I do remember sitting with you and your friend quite some time ago. I listened to your comments and took them seriously so I’m a little surprised as you said to me you’re not the sort of person that goes on trip advisor and would rather tell us, which I very much appreciated. You mentioned the vegetarian sausage, I replied we had let you down and apologised for not having any, I also said I would investigate the manner of my breakfast manager. Taheer has been with the hotel for quite a few years and I can honestly say he is not a rude man so I was very surprised when you mentioned his attitude, having spoken to him he said he merely offered you the vegetable alternatives plus the full buffet. As regards the non-vegetarian options been on the vegetarian menu, you pointed out that parmesan cheese is not vegetarian and this is correct as animal rennet is used in the making of the cheese. I apologised and said I would speak to the kitchen. They are now topping the Risotto with goat’s cheese but strangely we do get so many asking for the Parmesan.
I don’t remember at any point saying that there was nothing I could do for you. You thanked me for seeing you, in return I thanked you for pointing out your constructive issues. Let me apologise again for our short comings and hope you revisit us sometime in the future in the meantime I wish you well in your travels.

Gary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I were part of the National Geographic hiking tour mentioned in the review titled “Loud drunks and a helicopter training school at a hotel in paradise”. The writer of that review is absolutely correct - don't take a room on the side of the hotel facing Ramblers Bar. The party was loud and lasted well past midnight. As in the case of the writer, my wife and I hiked all day then were able to get a little over five hours sleep.

I find the manager's response interesting to say the least. The evening in question was noisy and disruptive. To my knowledge, the management did nothing to mitigate the situation. While the wait staff and receptionists were helpful and courteous, upper management left me with an impression of arrogance.

With everything said, the hotel is set in a beautiful, picturesque location. It is clean and the rooms are serviceable. The primary shortcoming is an outdoor bar adjacent to one side of the building. If you make sure to avoid rooms overlooking the bar, it is probably a great place to stay.

1 Thank Mamamia194
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Mr ?

Excuse me for treating this review with a little scepticism but I’m sure you must be affiliated with the reviewer below. You weren't present during his tirade or there when the rescue helicopter s landed as you were out walking.so it’s not fair to comment on a third party opinion. We did do something as we asked your friend to stop swearing and the gentleman below who was a guest at the hotel to make his way to the lounge. You call the management arrogant, yet never spoke to us and I did everything to keep your friend happy. I would ask readers to draw their attention to the vast majority of reviews to get a more balanced opinion of how we treat our guests and run our hotel.

Gary Wilson
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Inn on the lake with my husband as a birthday treat from my sister & brother in law, who also stayed along with mum as well..Firstly the welcome we received on arrival was very friendly and attentive.. next came my room..it was a lake view feature room with a balcony .".wot can i say" it was lovely and the view was fabulous.. its quite hard to take in that its actually real..!!! we were then treated to afternoon tea which we all enjoyed.. The evening meal in the orangery was again lovely and we enjoy it very much.. breakfast next morning was also enjoyable.. in fact every thing was perfect and we all had a great time... all staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.. Finally i feel i must mention because of health reasons i need a room close to a lift to minimize the walking distance, and again this was no trouble for them and we were placed very close to it..also a member of my family are a coeliac and they also accommodated him with gluten free food.. I would definitely love to stay again..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mongoose54
Dear Mongoose

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay and everything lived up to your expectations. We try to do those little extras that make the stay at the Inn on the Lake very special. I will pass on your comments to all my staff who are the heart and soul of the hotel. Once again thank you for your very kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at inn on the lake as we were attending a wedding there. The wedding was 5 star, the service, food and very helpful staff was excellent. Our room facing onto the lake was lovely apart from the 100 degree heat in the bathroom. The location is perfect and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Loubo33

Thank you for your very kind words and I’m so pleased you enjoyed your special day at the hotel. I have had the radiator looked at in that particular room and the valve has been changed so thank you for bringing to my attention. We look forward to you visiting us again very soon.

Nailsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just had an 8 night break at the Inn on the Lake. The location of the hotel is superb, sitting on the southern shore of Ullswater. Our room was a 'Lake View with balcony' which, although slightly on the small side, had a great view of the lake and fells.

We had booked B&B terms but about a week before our visit were offered the opportunity to pre-book either A la Carte or Table d'Hote meals in advance at a discount. We actually only booked 3 meals, but end up eating in the hotel on 7 nights dining in both the Lakeview Restaurant and the Orangery. Overall, all our meals were excellent. What made the visit so good though was the friendly and helpful approach of the staff, from particularly the staff in the Restaurant/Bar.

Being in such a prime location, it is very popular for weddings. During our stay there were weddings on 4 days. Most of the time this did not cause any problems, the staff coping well with the needs of both the wedding and the non-wedding guests. Week-ends seem to be the busiest time but, if you don't mind the extra noise that such occasions inevitably bring, you can still have an enjoyable stay. If you are looking for a bit of peace & quiet though, I would avoid summer week-ends.

1 Thank John M
Dear John

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your extensive break with us, you were a delight to look after. I will pass on your comments to all my staff who take great pride in the service they offer as I know they will be delighted to read your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn and wish you well in the meantime.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am currently a guest at the Inn on the Lake, in my second night of a two-night stay as part of a Coast to Coast trekking trip with National Geographic Adventures. After strenuous hiking all day yesterday we returned to the hotel for dinner and a well-deserved rest. My wife and I headed up to room number 61 at about 9pm. As mentioned by another reviewer, the hotel is beautifully situated on the lake, but unfortunately, it's is also adjacent to a pub. Room 61 overlooks the pub and an outdoor seating area with wood tables and benches. There was a loud band and many attendees who we're singing, shouting and were generally having what sounded like a great time. All I wanted, however, was a good night's sleep so I called the reception desk at 11:30pm to complain. I was told that the band would stop playing at mid-night, which was true but the recollections of good times had and yet to come continued unabated in the parking lot under our window. I called the reception desk again at 12:30am, but it became clear that the noise would end only when the last intoxicated reveler was ready to leave. That happened a bit after 1am. So much for that well-deserved rest. I finally fell asleep at about 2:30am after shouting some unprintable remarks from my window to a loud drunk man in the parking lot and I decided to forego today's 11 mile hike on 4hours sleep. I'm not sure my Blue Cross insurance works here in the UK.
Our National Geographic tour coordinator adeptly arranged for us to change rooms and I was planning spending some quiet time reading and enjoying the lake scenery after taking a nap to catch up on the sleep lost last night. But after no more than 20 minutes I was abruptly awoken by the first of three black helicopters hovering directly in front of my window. I am not making this up! I don't think I Googled anything inappropriate. Helicopter number 89 it turns out is with the Defense Flying School and has landed on the lawn just to the left of my bay window. It is followed by helicopter number 62 and then helicopter number 67. Currently 12 of the crew members are having lunch outside my window. They are all in good spirits as I can hear their entire discussion. Is this part of a bad joke? The pilots finally finished their lunch and are now once again taking to the sky. I'm going to attempt that nap one more time but I fear there may be a marching bad arriving momentarily.
If in the area again, I will choose another hotel that sounds neither like a late night bar nor airport. Such a location would be far more in keeping with the beauty of this area.

Room Tip: Avoid the rear rooms facing the car park and pub. Bring ear plugs. Check the helicopter flight scho...
3 Thank Avo A
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Avo

Firstly let me apologise for what you say was your experience at the hotel.

We work extremely closely with National Geographic for a number of years now, hosting a number of walking trips and this is the first negative review we have received from the group.
I am at a loss as to what to say to you with regards to the shouting, as you were the main issue hanging out of your window, shouting at the top of your voice words that were completely inappropriate and certainly upset other residents. The Ramblers bar hosted a disco, NOT a band and it was finished at midnight. The incident happened at 12.15 am when paying resident’s not loud drunks were making their way back into the hotel. Ramblers bar was locked and all staff vacated by 12.30am. We received no other complaints or comments from the rooms next to you or on that side of the hotel as the music is on a limiter and therefore volume is restricted.
You made personal insults to a number of staff members from your arrival to the hotel. One insult being, a waiter asked for a signature for drinks to go to a ladies room who by the way wasn’t with you, she asked why do you need a signature and you intervened and replied by saying “he is going to take it away and learn a little literacy”. You also spoke inappropriately to three further members of staff and upset them .
You put in your review that the guide moved your room; this is inaccurate as we moved you to one of the best rooms in the hotel, a Lake View room and I instructed the reception and management team to do everything within our power to keep you happy.
Three helicopters landed throughout the day which I must admit is unusual, most guests are very impressed and take a number of pictures. We have a helipad and we are set in 15 acres of grounds, they don’t arrive before 11.30 am. The pilot was having a private conversation whilst having lunch you were two floors up from the garden terrace so you must have been listening intently.
Several members of your group apologised on your behalf and we had no other complaints, it was a pleasure to have the rest of the party with us.
I wish you well in your future travels
G Wilson
Croxley Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked this on a voucher site with meal deal. Wasn't cheap but turned out to be excellent value. This stay was fantastic, the hotel is situated beautifully with the Lake in front and mountains around. There is easy access to good walks at any level. We were given a room upgrade and the room was fantastic with a huge comfy bed and bathroom with Jacuzzi and shower. Large flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities were provided. We were given tea and scones on arrival and ate dinner that evening and full English breakfast as part of the package. All were excellent.
Staff were very good and the guy at reception was super helpful, I also got cash back at reception which helped loads. Everywhere was well cleaned
overall an excellent stay and I would be back like a shot if I can get a similar deal

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Mike

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Inn on the Lake and got out to explore the amazing scenery that surrounds the hotel. I will let the staff know of your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Gary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenridding
Best Western Glenridding Hotel
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!