“Beautiful scenery”

Lake View Restaurant at the Inn on the Lake
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Glenridding
Price range: US$27 - US$42
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished and with 2 AA Rosettes, the Lake View Restaurant at the 4* Inn on the Lake hotel has all the ingredients for a mouth-watering dining experience. Nestled on the shores of Ullswater with its own private jetties, 15 acres of grounds, an extensive garden terrace and new Orangery – it is the ideal location for morning coffee, lunch, a quintessentially English Afternoon tea or a gastronomic fine dining experience.Stunning décor with opulent fabrics and understated sophistication, compliment the artistic flair of Head Chef and his team who have been developing and refining their table d’hôte and à La Carte menu’s for the Lake View Restaurant. Using modern, molecular techniques and sourcing as many local ingredients as possible, dishes are rich in creativity, full of flavour and beautifully presented. The Private Dining suite also overlooks Ullswater and is popular for those looking for something more intimate and extra special.Lunch served 12pm - 2.30pmDinner served 7pm – 9.30pm
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was here with my family and some friend and we had a lovely dinner. The natural landscapes around are absolutely fantastic.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

In the area one night on a business trip we were looking for a nice place to have dinner, The
Inn On The Lake Hotel gave the appearance of fitting the bill nicely. We elected to dine in the
Orangery as we were dressed casual and the room was light, warm and very tastefully decorated.
My wife and I both ordered the rib eye steak, one rare (mine) and one medium. Both were served
with a tomato, mushrooms, onion rings and chips served in a small bucket. The knife was a normal table knife and when I requested a steak knife I was informed that was their steak knife!!!
The steaks were difficult to cut and rather gristly and the onion rings were cold and greasy. However, the chips were very good. Nobody came to enquire if everything was satisfactory
until we had finished eating and the waitress came to clear the table. Asking if we had enjoyed
the meal I told her it was the poorest meal we have had for a long time and pointed out the reasons why. I was offered an apology and asked if we would like a pudding or coffee but there
was no suggestion that this would be on the house as a way of compensating for the poor meal. On paying the bill the same waitress did again offer an apology but nothing more.
If that is the best that this hotel can offer in the way of evening meals I would suggest they stick
to sandwiches and snacks. Suffice to say when we are next in the area The Inn On The Lake
will be given a wide berth.

3  Thank ROBERT W
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I met some friends for lunch here whilst on a weekend break in the lake district. The food was up there with some of the best we've had and the restaurant provides an excellent setting to relax and enjoy the views over the lake. We've not dined here before, but will certainly be paying another visit next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Last Wednesday my wife and I went to the Inn on the Lake. We have visited the hotel several times before for snacks and meals and were looking forward to an Ullswater cream tea. The hotel is in a lovely setting and we always enjoy the comfortable surroundings. However this time we were really disappointed. I ordered two cream teas and we sat down in the lounge of the bar and waited for some time before a pleasant waitress brought us a pot of tea. We poured a cup expecting the scones and teacakes on the menu to arrive immediately afterwards. We waited for over ten minutes by which time the tea was cold, I went to the bar and asked where the food was and was informed, "It's coming". Several more minutes passed by before a different waiter brought the food . I asked him for another pot of tea which did come soon after and was hot. The scones and teacakes were not of a particularly good quality tasting quite dry and stale, there was insufficient cream and butter for them and this was not to the standard we expected at such a prestigious hotel. £8.95 per person for such fare is not good value. We have had far better cream teas for half the price in many other establishments, so we felt quite let down. The whole organisation seemed chaotic as though no one person was taking charge of our order. I should add that at the time there were very few people in the lounge so we couldn't see any reason for the slow service. We probably will return in the future and hope that such service doesn't re-occur.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

First we used to love it here and came here nearly every weekend if we are not away, sometimes during the week too.

Since my last review I have been here many times. I originally gave really good reviews but now we are looking to find somewhere else to go instead. Perhaps if we tell you about our trip today you may understand.

We arrived today and ordered a latte and a glass of water each. The latte arrived but the water didn't. I started to drink my latte and thought this tastes funny, there was cherry flavoured lip gloss/lipstick on the glass...nice, I wiped the lip gloss from my lips! We ordered food and my cheese sandwich came. It looked like it had been dropped on the floor the bread was all over the plate as was the cheese the crisps were scattered all over too. I genuinely think by the presentation it had been dropped at some point. When I started eating the bread was stale, so stale it was difficult to swallow the crusts, this is where the water if it had come would have come in handy! Next the coleslaw on my plate was a sort of orangey colour but when I took a fork full underneath it was a yellowy mayonnaise colour leading me to believe the coleslaw was old and had been sitting on the plate for a long long time...I had a thought the dish had perhaps been served to someone else by the state of the whole dish ..but surely not, that doesn't happen does it?

Whilst we were there no one at any point came to us to take an order, to ask if we wanted more or to check that everything was ok in fact we had to search someone out to take our order. The place was a little shambolic with the newspapers normally on a central table but seemed to be all over.

Whilst we were there we saw a couple of old women who seem to be regulars as we were. The thing is they bring their dog and allow their dog on the seats. Now this place is used for weddings. I love dogs but I don't allow them on the furniture. I would not be happy to come in wearing my best suit or my wife a lovely dress to be covered in dog hair. We have seen these two old women do this before and the staff say nothing it's not like its a guide dog or something. What if the next customer is allergic to dog hair? Next I see the dog licking its "bits" then licking the end of the arm of the chair its sat on. So the next unsuspecting customer will sit there order food invariably put their hands on the end of the arm rest then eat their food...you get the picture I'm sure! The thing is the old women moved a couple of times so they got better seats each time until they were in the bay window so the dog sat on numerous seats. It's just massively wrong, on so many levels! Dogs can carry fleas and ticks etc regardless of how good or careful he owner is..have you heard of Lyme disease?

In summary, something has happened over the last 6 weeks or so. The service has crashed dramatically. Trip advisor will not allow reviews closer than six weeks but I have been here often and obviously cannot review every single time. I will now avoid this place until the service improves. I am also not sitting on furniture they allow dogs to sit on and the quality of food and cleanliness was appalling. I would AVOID this place until the low standards improve! Seriously there are many lovely places in the lakes this isn't one of them!

I would probably have argued about the bill had we not been made to pay in advance..so we know there is something up as we have never had to do that before. As we couldn't find anyone obvious to complain to we left! Poor poor appalling dirty service.!

2  Thank JohnSunderlandUk