“An Out of the Way GEM.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portaferry
Jacksonville, Florida
“An Out of the Way GEM.”
Reviewed 12 April 2007

I stayed here on my tour through Ireland based on a review from Frommers based on the fact that there was another highly rated restaurant down the street. That said, this is no big time operation, I called and spoke to the woman about two months out and when I checked in I was please to find it was the same woman who took my reservation who greeted me at check in. This hotel was everything I was asking for and more, its not 5-star but that's not a complaint, it feels more like a bed and breakfast only bigger with the personal attention and just sheer kindness you wouldn't find in a bigger place. It was a bit of a drive from Belfast and especially at the end of a long day which required driving in the dark, but it was well worth it. The rooms were simple, clean, exactly what I would have expected at this price range. I plan on staying there again and looking back this was one of the highlights of my trip. I walked around town and found some lovely little places and at the end of the night I returned and a few pints in the pub. Breakfast was good, nothing spectacular but a good way to start the day at a fair price.

• Liked — Location, Service,
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 30 November 2006

We had a great experience here. We were only here for one night as we were attending a wedding nearby the following day. We arrived about 1:30 after a journey that started more than 20 hours before (flying from Pittsburgh to Chicago, 8-hour layover, Chicago to Dublin and then driving from Dublin to Portaferry) and were immediately shown to our room, which was lovely. Room was spacious and had a beautiful view of the sea. Portaferry itself is a lovely little sea-side town. The proprietors were wonderful to us and very helpful. We made dinner reservations for the hotel and had drinks in the bar. Our server brought us our menus while we enjoyed our Guiness and took our orders right in the bar, which was perfect. We were shown to the dining area where we had an amazing dinner from beginning to end. The food was excellent, which is often not the case in some charming little UK hotels. They just did a superb job with everything. We slept beautifully and they brought us several things we needed while we were getting ready (iron, ironing board) to leave for the wedding. As we were leaving we realized we didn't have a card for the wedding and asked where we could buy one in the town. The owner promptly pulled out a beautiful and tasteful wedding card and gave it to us to use! Such a lovely touch to have things like this for your guests. We were totally impressed and will definitely be back to the Portaferry Hotel! Lovely!

• Liked — Personal service and wonderful dinner
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Tips/Secrets — The doors lock at midnight, but all you have to do is call and they kindly let you in!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank kmc1974
rkmullard@aol.com
Reviewed 27 July 2006

Upto 2004 I had stayed at this hotel about every two months since 1988. It was worth the 30 mile drive from Belfast to enjoy its excellent food, service, beautiful views across Strangford Lough and value for money.

I returned this month to find a rather different scene. The hotel had changed hands. The food is still good, the same team are still in the kitchen, but the menu whilst extensive is now rather costly. ( Possibly OOT) Room rates have been pushed up, and whilst they are very presentable and spotlessly clean they are cramped.(Over the years I have stayed in all of them) Similarly drink prices have been hiked.

Service in the restaurant was haphazard during my visit and I left with a feeling that the hotel desperately needed a good manager.

Regrettably I have to report that this hotel no longer represents good value for money. This comment is borne out by the fact that I was able to book a room at 6 hours notice and over half the rooms were empty at the height of the Season.

Bob Mullard 27.7.2006

Stayed July 2006
8 Thank BobMullard
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 July 2004

We stayed at the Portaferry hotel in 2001 and were very well accommodated. The food was excellent (especially the breakfasts). The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was courteous and helpful. The view and convenience can't be beat. I would recommend it to anyone.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portaferry
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Newtownards
Denvir's Hotel
Denvir's Hotel
#1 of 3 in Downpatrick

Been to Portaferry Hotel? Share your experiences!