“A beautiful escape”
Review of Villa Gonatouki

Villa Gonatouki
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ghazoua
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and I wish I could have moved in! The rooms are lovely and the staff are so willing to help and make you feel welcome. Bruno is incredibly welcoming and very knowledgeable about where to go and what to do!
Surrounding the hotel are gorgeous views which are visible from both the two swimming pools and at night the rooftop is the perfect place to see the stars with no light pollution. It is incredibly peaceful here.
The food was gorgeous, especially the various tajines! Essauoria is a great town to visit with many lovely restaurants, sea views and an array of shops selling wood products/scarves/jewellery/herbs/spices/Moroccan tea/artwork etc.
I would recommend the local horse riding and definitely have a massage at the hotel! They are amazing :)
I would definitely visit again, it was a truly wonderful experience and I wish the stay was longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Alice and A, thank you for your nice review. You have a special place in my heart with your job, A. And I will always remember you and your laugh. It was a pleasure to sea you in the swimming pool for the New Year. Did you receive photos? I hope we'll meet us again. All the best for the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is possibly the most spectacular place I have ever stayed. My partner and I planned to stay for 2 nights and as soon as we arrived, we knew we had to stay longer!

The house and grounds are really beautiful and luxurious, the food is the best we had in Morocco, and the staff were friendly, helpful and kind.

While it is about a 10-15 minute drive outside of Essaouira, we really enjoyed spending a few relaxing days by the pool. There was also always a taxi available when we wanted to go to town, and the staff made a reservation for us to go quad biking, which we really enjoyed!

Gonatouki is such a special place and we will definitely be back. Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are great spots to read a book and sunbathe
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

After a very bad experience in a hotel in Marrakech we were ready for a relaxing time in villa Gonatouki and we weren't disappointed. The service and welcome is amazing, the decor superb and the food excellent (And as a chef I don't say this lightly). The owner Bruno was away on holiday but this didn't stop his staff making our unfortunately short stay an absolute dream of great service and amazing locations. The villa is a little difficult to find but an up to date sat nav sorted that, just don't go to fast down the unfinished road and it is not suspension or tyre friendly. We will return for a much longer visit and we will be bringing friends!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

I'm very happy to read your review because I was not on the spot and it doesn't change anything. Samira was also very happy to read it. She knows that she cook well but to have a good review from a chief, that's the best! Her smile was fantastic. We are waiting for you and your friends!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

good day. I have been away for 30 years from morocco. I missed Essaouira and decided to stay at Villa Gonatouki.
After exchanging emails with bruno the owner who helped to make the arrival smooth by providing all necessary information and directions. from first minutes it was obvious that the place is special. Bruno has put his knowledge and appreciation of moroccan architecture in this beautiful villa. close enough to the city (8 kms) and allows to feel far from the crowd. the host and his team are great, discreet, professional and Bruno is a very interesting human being. before making the decision to go to this place, we have read reviews that most of them reflect the reality except one very negative one that is unrealistic and totally unreasonable. for those who have not integrated the concept I suggest for them to go to hotels where it is impersonal. thanks to bruno, samira et latifa.
we will definitely go back for longer stay.

• Stayed: November 2013
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

That's was great to meet you 2. You stay in Morocco now Nourdine so, I'm sure, you'll come here often. And it will be great again, you don't have to wait the next festival.
Yes the villa is special and full of energy! And we are happy to share it with you and everybody who appreciate.
You are friend with us now on Facebook, so you will see what's happen at Gonatouki. See you soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband have been many times in Essaouira over the course of more than 30 years since the end seventies. This town has become more and more popular and still has managed to maintain its unique charm, being a town with a somehow very Mediterranean feel (maybe due to the pure coloring in white and blue) with distinctive Arab/Moroccan elements. This was the first time we didn't stay in the town but decided to take the villa Gonatouki, which is about 12 km from the town border, easily reachable by car.
The villa is simply lovely, very well dimensioned and will never make you feel that you're in a hotel but rather in a very big country villa with plenty of space - whether you're looking for places to eat or to simply hang out (indoors and outside), whether it's in your own area (ok, we had a suite, which comprised 3 big rooms and a bathroom including two terraces for our own utilization).
And than there's the owner - Bruno. A very gentle and attentive host, who will do anything to make you feel at home right from the beginning until the minute we've left. We felt very much at home and enjoyed his advice and recommendations, which were always great. Bruno is a guy who doesn't only understand what hospitality means but he lives it, you feel it's part of his self understanding and he enjoys it.

Room Tip: Any room! All nice in different style!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnschmitz

What a very nice review! And coming from China! Thank you very much Lynn. It was very pleasant to speak with you, Thomas and Hans Peter. I come to Asia tomorrow with my wife. We are happy because we kept a very good remember of our last travel. It won't be in China but it will be the next time.
I have to tell you that we had a lot of fun last week. Bouchra tried to make the same design as it is on your nails. But the result was different. She will try again... and probably again. When it will be better, we'll sent you a photo.
I'm sure we'll meet us again. I wish you all the best.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was without a shadow of a doubt one of the best holidays I've ever had. The hotel owner Bruno was an exceptional host and couldn't do enough for us. A truly remarkable place. The minute you arrive you can feel the energy of the building and yet has such a relaxing feel. There are many rooms to relax and chill in and staff are always on hand to feed and water you. Nothing is ever to much hassle. I couldn't recommend this hotel more.
It is located on the side of a dirt track and although at first you think this is a down point you soon realise that it gives you the secluded rest you need and prevents cars from rushing past. This also means that there is a strong local community in the village. Essaouira is a 10 min drive and Bruno is always on hand to take you for a small fee. 10 out of 10

Room Tip: All room are lovely with a real Moroccan feel. Smaller rooms are basic but near the pool, nether the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much Bradley. We had a lot of pleasure to accommodate you with Katy. And it will be always a big souvenir for you and for us. Even Gonatouki is a romantic place, there is not often a proposal of marriage on the roof under the stars. I'm sure you'll be happy. And you have to come back for your honey moon or just after.
As you are a professional, if you have made good photos of Gonatouki, you can send us.
I wish you all the best...

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed at the Villa for the last five days of our trip to Morocco and I can tell you now it was a really good decision on our part, admittedly a little difficult to find at first but once we had made a trip to the Medina the following day, we found it was simple (ask any taxi to go 8 kilometre on the Agadir road turn right and 3 kilometres on the BAD road and voile its that simple :).
Bruno is always on hand for whatever you may need to know, and it is obvious he loves Gonatouki and its guests as he floats around from table to table making sure everyone is fine as can be!
What wonderful food, Samira is such a talented cook although I do love Tagine and Couscous it was nice to have something a little different now an then, such as the lemon chicken with noodles (to die for) Breakfast was always ample with fresh jams, bread, pancakes and fruit to fill up on, if you didn't fancy lunch just have a late breakfast which we did was no problem to have at 11am or later I suppose and you could last till dinner.

We had some nice time spent by the pool area or down in the hammocks with our DD 3.5, she loved how much space she had to run around and the staff payed her so much attention she was thoroughly spoiled so much so they would make sure that at breakfast the pulp would be removed from her OJ and that she had ample supply of hot chocolate!

Sanaa (I hope I have spelt correctly) a wonderful young lady, made sure we never went hungry or thirsty and was on hand for all our needs, and Emilienne (again not sure of spelling) the manager was always charming, extremely efficient and always happy!

Anything that might of made stay easier, maybe a small table and chairs on the huge balconies, we did have sunlongers, and perhaps a notice board where you could check what time dinner was being held in the evenings?

I had a wonderful experience while at the villa had some wonderful evenings spent chatting with other guests and left feeling relaxed and stress free a perfect ending to a fantastic trip, keep on keeping on Bruno and all the staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much Georgina! We were waiting to have a nice review from Irish people and it's done. First the whole team and I thank you for the different things you left for the kids. They ask me to give you a kiss next time I'll write you.
It was nice to accommodate you 3 (give also a kiss from to your little and so cute Julia, I love her eyes!) l and we were happy that you met others people. As every host is always friendly it's always nice on the spot.
We stay in touch for the soap because you are a professional for that. You know that we are ecological every time we can (we use solar energy, we have an ecological septic tank and now we have natural soap). Once I'll invite everybody who help us to improve. There are many and you are in the first places!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ghazoua
9 mi away
Riad Baoussala
Riad Baoussala
#3 of 75 in Essaouira
Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-

Been to Villa Gonatouki? Share your experiences!