“Does the job well”

Ranked #16 of 17 Jedburgh B&B and Inns
Whitley Bay
“Does the job well”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

First of all, don’t get there before 2pm on a Friday as no-one will be there to let you in.

Once in, it does the job well. The owner/breakfast cook is friendly and helpful. I was in a single room which was a good size and had twin beds! The bathroom is snug but does the job, plenty of hot water and a good shower. Shower gel, shampoo and soap are provided, as is a good supply of tea, coffee and milk, even some biscuits.

You get a key to let yourselves in after the hotel shuts, though not sure what people find to do in Jedburgh after 1am!

The breakfast was very nice. Orange juice, cereal, grapefruit segments, full fry-up or porridge or kippers, toast/jam, tea and coffee.

The wifi worked well @ 5Mb/s in room 3, though room 10 reported nothing like as good.
Also watch for the dripping shower in room 3. I wondered why it was hanging down when I arrived!!

They don't do evening meals but plenty of other options there and there is no lift.

Overall, it is maybe in need of a bit of updating but it does the job well enough and is recommended and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights for the Jedburgh Festival. Room clean with hospitality tray and small TV. It was enough for us as we were out and about all the time. The breakfasts were very good and tasty. The hotel is a bit dated but all adds to the ambience. Thank you for looking after us so well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Went here to do some photography,unfortunately the weather was a bit severe pouring rain..still booked in back of 2 pm,very friendly young barman Sean ,made us most welcome asked if wanted the room first or would we like a pint.well pint came 1st,then another,eventually dragged ourselves away from fantastic company..hotel was quiet,and we got room no 2. When booking we were informed last couple rooms left only and this one doubled up as single so expected the worst,,but plenty of space,2 single beds clean comfy,coffee biscuits ,the norm.small Telly swear they get smaller..still never came here to sit in room watching t v.good shower toilet etc.all clean..no lifts in hotel so not very good for invalids.also no meals served during day or night,but plenty of places for food outside,,ps,if hungry later on go to the chip shot,and other eateries ,as places close down early.around 10 ish.small car park rear of hotel but only holds about four decent sized cars,two minutes walk away there is public car park free all day and night so no problem..breakfast was from 8 till 10 I think ,,very good Scottish breakfast also porridge,scrambled eggs kippers ,nice and fresh.good coffee for a change..for 1 night for 2 bed b,fast £75 through late holidays,,abbey. Old jail Mary queen scots house all few minutes walk away..what else beer prices around £3 a pint,accept that,,,pubs we went into were stranger very friendly ,so top points for jedburgh ,clean town ,

Room Tip: Room 2 is fine no noise that we heard ,single beds clean and tidy. Mind no lifts ,rooms two up..lowe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Montgomery S
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

You could describe this hotel as quaint and historic. I would suggest "ripe for development" would be more accurate. The stairs are steep and there is no lift, though to be fair the owner carried our suitcases up for us. The floor in our bedroom was distinctly unlevel and the beds were the most uncomfortable I've experienced in years. There were no evening meals provided but we were directed to the excellent Carter's Rest virtually next door. We would never stay there again but I must record that there were a number of guests at breakfast who seemed happy enough. I got the impression they were all golfers, a hardier breed perhaps?

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard G

Travellers are raving about these Jedburgh hotels

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Maybe the other reviews were for a different hotel. I was disappointed with this hotel. The welcome was friendly and warm but the rooms need some tlc. The hotel is historic and has charm but the room was charmless. With an avacado suit and 70's carpet you can see that the decore was tired. The bed was comfortable and you have a nice television in the room. The hotel bars are friendly and there was a great local band practicing in the lower bar. The rooms were still nice and quiet. The breakfast was fine with a good fry and the option to have cereal. Alright for a night.

• Stayed June 2013
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed over the weekend..just got back and have no complaints. Room REALLY big, very comfortable and extremely clean. Wifi available. Staff were really friendly, breakfast great!
We needed to return to the hotel in the early hours, but not a problem just given an extra key
We will be back in November!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yvette w
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just came from from jedburgh this morning,had two day break,I have stayed in the royal before for one night 2 years ago about the same dates.I found the hotel friendly reasonably priced £98 2 nights b b.I would not rate it worth perhaps more than 3 star,but staff I would rate 10 out of ten so friendly.the rooms are ok a bit chilly but as this has been an horrendous month with weather not to bad.drink priced at £3 a pint was fine by me.I was the only person their so a bit spoiled.breakfast was really good,this morning I got so much on my plate I did not eat my toast.as it is in the middle of the town it is great for visiting the abbey,castle Mary queen of scots house and cafe chip shops etc.I will go back.tv in the rooms to large ones in the bar.parking out the back of hotel will only hold two large cars .but parking around locally is ok.

Room Tip: I have only slept in single accommodation here so can't comment on family rooms,my room looked o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo