“Dirty and unkept!!!poor chickens”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Jedforest Deer & Farm Park
Ranked #15 of 18 things to do in Jedburgh
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Went whilst on holiday with my family and the first thing that caught my attention was the amount of cockerels living together!!! As a keen hen poultry keeper, most of the chickens could not see properly with sticky dirty eyes, one hen had been so badly mated with that all her feathers had been pulled out, I'm convinced the disease could have been coccidiousis!!! The living conditions of the chickens was disgusting!!! The park area itself was not too bad, except the bird area where the cages were was also filthy! The forest play area has a lot of broken bits, and it was very slippy, we do have a couple of nice photos of the 1 free range deer we seen.

1  Thank Chivv

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Visited her 3 weeks ago, the last time we visited being 15 years ago so thought it would be good to go and see what was new!! when we got there we found nothing was new, it had not changed in 15 years other than things being dilapidated, kids play areas with nails sticking through, climbing frames with netting ripped had been repaired badly to the point that my 3 year old grand children's feet with their shoes on were going straight through, defiantly a health hazard. Lack of hand washing facilities, too be honest if I were the owner of this I would be genuinely embarrassed at the standard of the place, 1 word of advise keep driving past and do not stop. You will be very disappointed.

1  Thank AJAY40
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I have just returned from a trip to the Deer park with my friend and three children 8, 11 & 11. We were all very diapointed nothing has been updated for many years, lots of broken toys, no petting corner, only soup and cake available in the cafe so we had the added expensive of having to go to Jedburgh for lunch. We paid £20 entry not worth it! When we left we visited Jedburgh's local park and Castle Jail (free of charge) and everyone enjoyed them.

1  Thank sara l
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My family and I went on this trip, my two sisters, my grandparents, and I, thinking it would be a great day out, looking at the deer, going trampolining, having fun on the huge pole jump...how wrong was I. I am 14 years old, but my two younger sisters are 7 and 11, and they too found this trip a big disappointment. First of all, we paid the price of entry (£20!!!) at the front desk, to a very bored looking teenager, who then gave us no directions or anything to make our way around the park, so out we went. The first thing that came to our attention was that there was not a single sign in sight other than "animals may bite", like we didn't know that! The "play barn" consisted of a very unruly looking rope swing and a child’s play bike. However, we continued on to find two sagging and wobbly trampolines, some fences which held some very unhappy looking donkeys who’s hooves definitely needed some clipping, some goats and some alpacas, as well as some birds of prey, who were tightly tethered to a log by a very short rope, completely exposed to either the shining sun, or in this case, heavy rain. I think the signs next to the birds were the only signs I really saw, explaining what type of bird it is. Next, there was a birds of prey demonstration with a moody looking man, which actually consisting with the bird flying off and disappearing into the woods!!! Although this was rather amusing, it did result in the show lasting about 5 minutes. To be frank, i think the best part of the centre was the gift shop! Fed up, we realised there was actually not a deer in sight, and the very exciting pole jump was not in use! Wanting some explanations, we went to speak to the desk again. The unhelpful worker simply said: "the deer are in the wood." “well where?” we asked. "Around the side, you have to walk for a while." which was rather ironic seeing as there was not a single sign to point this fact out. Next, we enquired about the bungy jump that looked great fun on the leaflet. The woman then went on to say that the bungy jump hadn't been in use for a while, and would not be in use all year, also, that she didn’t even know that it was still on the leaflet. All in all, the park was run down, boring, uneventful and an absolute rip off.

6  Thank Rosie J
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently visited with 5 kids of varying ages. Lots of farm animals to see unfortunately the deer were calving on our visit so not out. This was a bit of a disappointing experience as what the kids were looking forward to but it was a matter out of the parks hands. There is a good adventure playground in the wooded area and even the adults had fun on the go-karts. Bird of prey show was really good and the ranger was very knowledgable and tried to involve all (flash the eagle owl stole the show)