“A Hidden Gem”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My boyfriend and I were visiting friends and family on the island and wanted a relaxing place to stay when all the visiting got to be too much. This place was a treat! The hotel was in a nice quiet residential neighbourhood on absolutely beautiful gardens. It was a little bit away from the downtown core but we had a car so we didn't mind and parking at the hotel was free.The hotel was a bit older but it had so much charm that it added to the romance of the place. We stayed in an "estate suite" which I believe is the middle run of rooms and we found it to be very comfortable. It had some really nice touches that you wouldn't find in a "chain" type of hotel. I would definetly recommend this hotel to other couples who are looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Let me first start by saying that I am not picky or hard to please and always make the most of situations. I am REALLY surprised by all the good reviews posted here. My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at the English Inn. I had a good first impression with the helpful staff on the phone. Upon a last minute check of our confirmation, I realized the dates were one day off of that which I thought had been originally booked. I was so thankful that they were able to work out the details to have a room available for both nights without us needing to move rooms. This is the only reason I gave them as high of a rating as I did.
Our overall feeling about the Inn the whole time we were there was that it has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work in the area of customer service and upkeep. The girls at the front desk were less than friendly and couldn't answer even basic questions about the area (how to get to Butchart Gardens?).
Our room was dirty, the refrigerator didn't work, the lamp was broken, and the shower curtain was covered in mildew. Also, housekeeping never came by our room during our stay. When I mentioned this at checkout the staff member at the front seemed surprised and stated that they should have been by our room.
At breakfast other guests were complaining about the poor service and unattended rooms ( no toilet paper or soap). It seemed like maybe they were really short-staffed for the weekend??? Unfortunately we will not be going back here, but I really hope they can get things together because the property is charming and has a lot of potential.

6  Thank Megan B
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Large property that is in needs to hire facility staff and gardeners. When we arrived at 730 pm for a three day stay. The room we were assigned was terrible, small narrow stair to get to the room, inadequate outdoor lighting, and the room smelled +++ musty with windows open. If someone has difficulty with mobility, this is not the place to stay. Back to the desk, and the staff attempted to find another room, but we were told one of the housekeeping staff quit, so rooms were not cleaned. Several rooms in the main building were checked, and were not ready. We did get a room on the second floor which was cleaned. it was acceptable, had an angled wall in the shower so if you are tall, this would not work for you. The tub filled with water and did not drain when you were taking a shower. The continental breakfast was acceptable, we only went the first day. As we were out the second day, when we got back to the room, it appeared the bed had the covers just thrown over, and the towels were changed in the bathroom. On the third day, we came back at 4 pm and our room had not been cleaned or bed made. A trip to the desk, and we were told that cleaning staff had quit, and that they were in the process of interviewing new hires. Someone did come to the room to clean in about 15 minutes, and what they did was throw the bed covering over the bed, provide new towels for the bathroom (did not have a full set available so said they would be back in 15 minutes), and emptied the garbage. After one hour, no one returned so I went to the front desk to request towels. I was told the general manager was doing the laundry so they would bring some up when they were available. I also asked if that was the standard for cleaning a room, and was told that they would be hiring staff.
Until this property hires staff to properly cleans rooms, and care for the outside property, I would not recommend staying here. It is in a residential area which is quiet, and a quick drive to the downtown which is a plus.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the room
3  Thank PacificNW50
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed one night at the English Inn on a recent trip to Vancouver Island. We can only recommend this lovely inn for the cleanliness, quietness and overall value. While this may have been an off-season rate, it costs us 76 $ for the night, breakfast (delicious croissants) included. We had a private bathroom and balcony. In the morning, it was a pleasure to explore this beautiful property.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I and my fiancé stayed for 2 nights, when driving there wasn't sure if we were on the right path since it was in the subarb surrounded with old residential houses. But when we pulled into the inn, we were in for a surprise, it felt like we were in an English manor in the 1800's, surrounded with beautiful gardens and trees, was just beautiful, we love the old English charm and this place was just perfect.
We stayed on the main building on the top floor, with a king poster bed with fireplace, it had beautiful views of the city and ocean:).
The staff were friendly and accomodating. The only downfall is if you don't have transportation, it won't work for you, it's some 12- 15 min drive to the down town core.
If old English charm interest you, then this is the place for you

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed here one night. The staff was really friendly, and the hotel and the grounds are just really neat. We had a lovely room with modern conveniences including a fireplace in it and a beautiful view. We stayed during a time that was not busy at all so we had the place mostly to ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We spent five days at this carefully restored manor house and grounds. Two nights in a townhouse in an adjacent building that felt as if we were in an English cottage. Decorated in keeping with the theme of Old England while making sure we had all the modern amenties needed. Then we spent two nights in the main house in what must have been the servant's quarters at some point in history - top floor, enormous room, stellar view and all the comforts needed. The staff was helpful and the daily fresh-baked croissants were delicious!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bsjkg5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Esquimalt
Rosemary Inn
#1 of 1 in Esquimalt

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!