“nice property”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“nice property”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed one night with my family on a trip to Victoria. The Inn is set unexpectedly in a quiet, residential neighbourhood a few minutes drive from downtown, so you will need a car, although you can apparently take a bus. The front desk was able to answer most questions about Victoria and the surrounding areas which we appreciated. Our room was clean and nicely furnished and enjoyed the complimentary light breakfast in the morning. Overall a lovely property and gorgeous hotel. I recommend it to travelers who prefer a classic style Inn set in a country-like setting rather than the big chain hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The English Inn was just what I was looking for. The grounds were impeccable and totally relaxing. I loved going for a walk first thing in the morning. I would come back and have a great breakfast in the main room, again totally calming. The staff were very congenial and helpful with respect to information on various attractions to view in Victoria. All in all...a great place to stay!

Room Tip: I liked a room at the back of the Inn so I could look over the grounds in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bridalman8
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed two weekend nights in May 2012. We paid the Livingsocial rate of $76/night and this included a light continental breakfast.
Room: comfortable and clean for a 106-year old place. I think it might be cold in the winter as I could feel a draft near the windows.
Breakfast: Good as there was fresh baked croissants and bagel, plus some yogurt, fruit, coffee and tea. Nothing fancy, but good quality.
Inn layout: There wasn't a comfortable commons room. There is a couch with computer desk on the stair landing between floors, but cramped space usage. The inn would feel more welcoming using some of the ample dining room space to put a coffee/tea kiosk, magazine/newspapers, and a wood stove or fireplace. The bar/breakfast buffet room was alright, but not very inviting. The grounds are quite nice and offer nice place to read a book.
Location: very good. Very close to a beautiful walk at Macalu (sp?) park. Biking distance (~15 min) to downtown Victoria, but a long walk. You can walk to Country Grocery and Salty's seafood restaurant (Esquimalt) quite easily.
I might consider going back here for the same price, but not the full rate. Plus, I would not take my child as it feels more like a romantic getaway (not much for a child to do).

Room Tip: Every room is different. Queen Mary room is quite large with shower separated from toilet/sink.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank budgetfreak
los angeles
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I recently spent a fabulous weekend at this charming inn and I had to share just how much we enjoyed our experience! Upon arrival the staff was friendly and inviting and we found our room to be charming and just the change of pace from city life that we were looking for. Sadly what tends to be the most important to us is the price and the value of what we're getting for that which we pay and I must say English Inn exceeded our expectations on that front! Overall a great hotel for a great price, will definitely be returning!

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My boyfriend and I were visiting friends and family on the island and wanted a relaxing place to stay when all the visiting got to be too much. This place was a treat! The hotel was in a nice quiet residential neighbourhood on absolutely beautiful gardens. It was a little bit away from the downtown core but we had a car so we didn't mind and parking at the hotel was free.The hotel was a bit older but it had so much charm that it added to the romance of the place. We stayed in an "estate suite" which I believe is the middle run of rooms and we found it to be very comfortable. It had some really nice touches that you wouldn't find in a "chain" type of hotel. I would definetly recommend this hotel to other couples who are looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Let me first start by saying that I am not picky or hard to please and always make the most of situations. I am REALLY surprised by all the good reviews posted here. My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at the English Inn. I had a good first impression with the helpful staff on the phone. Upon a last minute check of our confirmation, I realized the dates were one day off of that which I thought had been originally booked. I was so thankful that they were able to work out the details to have a room available for both nights without us needing to move rooms. This is the only reason I gave them as high of a rating as I did.
Our overall feeling about the Inn the whole time we were there was that it has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work in the area of customer service and upkeep. The girls at the front desk were less than friendly and couldn't answer even basic questions about the area (how to get to Butchart Gardens?).
Our room was dirty, the refrigerator didn't work, the lamp was broken, and the shower curtain was covered in mildew. Also, housekeeping never came by our room during our stay. When I mentioned this at checkout the staff member at the front seemed surprised and stated that they should have been by our room.
At breakfast other guests were complaining about the poor service and unattended rooms ( no toilet paper or soap). It seemed like maybe they were really short-staffed for the weekend??? Unfortunately we will not be going back here, but I really hope they can get things together because the property is charming and has a lot of potential.

6 Thank Megan B
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Large property that is in needs to hire facility staff and gardeners. When we arrived at 730 pm for a three day stay. The room we were assigned was terrible, small narrow stair to get to the room, inadequate outdoor lighting, and the room smelled +++ musty with windows open. If someone has difficulty with mobility, this is not the place to stay. Back to the desk, and the staff attempted to find another room, but we were told one of the housekeeping staff quit, so rooms were not cleaned. Several rooms in the main building were checked, and were not ready. We did get a room on the second floor which was cleaned. it was acceptable, had an angled wall in the shower so if you are tall, this would not work for you. The tub filled with water and did not drain when you were taking a shower. The continental breakfast was acceptable, we only went the first day. As we were out the second day, when we got back to the room, it appeared the bed had the covers just thrown over, and the towels were changed in the bathroom. On the third day, we came back at 4 pm and our room had not been cleaned or bed made. A trip to the desk, and we were told that cleaning staff had quit, and that they were in the process of interviewing new hires. Someone did come to the room to clean in about 15 minutes, and what they did was throw the bed covering over the bed, provide new towels for the bathroom (did not have a full set available so said they would be back in 15 minutes), and emptied the garbage. After one hour, no one returned so I went to the front desk to request towels. I was told the general manager was doing the laundry so they would bring some up when they were available. I also asked if that was the standard for cleaning a room, and was told that they would be hiring staff.
Until this property hires staff to properly cleans rooms, and care for the outside property, I would not recommend staying here. It is in a residential area which is quiet, and a quick drive to the downtown which is a plus.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the room
3 Thank PacificNW50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 49 in Victoria
The Oswego Hotel
#5 of 49 in Victoria

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!