“Certainly an interesting & individual place to stay!”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in an estate room which was lovely; nicely laid out, beautifully furnished with the biggest & most gorgeous bed & cleaned very well every day. The hotel itself is lovely, albeit definitely showing wear & tear. There is a feeling of neglect to the grounds & surrounding buildings which is a shame. Breakfast was croissant, coffee, fruit & yoghurt & not really what I like when on holiday. It felt they were rather short staffed with people doubling up on roles but everyone was really friendly & very helpful. If staying in an estate room be warned that there are many stairs to get up to them including a rather steep & narrow one.
We enjoyed our stay here as we were looking for a romantic getaway & we didn't want to stay somewhere that was ordinary & this was definitely not that!
I would suggest that they could perhaps look at getting rid of some of the rugs which had stains on them & rather let down the room, also if running an 'English' inn, the emphasis really should be on providing a decent cup of tea!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 29 August 2013

photos looked appealing and I made reservations online. due to unforeseeable health issues I sent an email to same address that I made the reservation, 11 days prior to reserved dates (long before the 48b hour notice). alas, they have no record of that and my presentation of that email made no difference -"its their policy". so, they got us for nearly $2oo.oo, but lost out on our future business. hindsight I should have asked for confirmation, this is the only hotel that I had difficulties canceling our reservations.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank oh-happy-rain
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The grounds of this inn were just amazing, I could have wandered around there forever! The inn itself was very charming, there is character everywhere. Our room was fairly big, had room for a sitting area and fridge. The bathroom was very small and the sliding door didn't leave much for privacy. We also had a sky light above our bed, which was not enjoyable when you are woken up early by the sun shining on your face. I had read the reviews about the keys working for more than one room, which made me nervous, must have been in another building, as we tried our key in a room we knew was empty and it didn't work on that door.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We recently had our elopement at the English Inn. It was absolutely fantastic and would do business again with them in a heartbeat. Jennifer, the event planner, was flexible, quick to respond, hospitable and took care of all of our arrangements. The venue is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are lovely. All of the staff took wonderful care of us. We will be back in the future for anniversaries and other celebrations!

Room Tip: Room 7 had a beautiful balcony. Room 8 had a fireplace which was nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carli M
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We spent the first four nights of a months holiday at the English Inn and enjoyed it so much we went back for the last two nights of our trip. The hotel was a pleasant surprise, very quiet and quaint. We enjoyed wandering the gardens with our Grandchildren and guests. Our room was spacious, perfect for us with a Murphy bed the kids thought was the coolest thing when they stayed overnight. We will go back again next time we go to the island.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank W J
Reviewed 8 August 2013

On the outside this is a beautiful and quaint little hotel, with old world charm. A place that you can imagine a romantic evening spent by the fire. Unfortunately the reality is, the rooms are run down and unkept, the staff is over worked and under qualified. The Inn has terrible customer service, our room was not cleaned in three days, we were short on towels even though we were paying a premium price. There are many nice places to stay in Victoria for the same price point, I would avoid this one in the future.

Room Tip: website photos are very misleading, check out your room before you commit to ensure you are getting...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JustinP1969
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I recently stayed at the English Inn for 5 nights in preparation for my best friends wedding. Although the venue itself is unique and beautiful it is evident that their is a lack of care for the property and apparently the guests as well. I switched rooms once during my stay (to be in a larger room with my boyfriend) and the room was not cleaned upon our stay. There were no new towels and the sheets were unchanged. Thankfully I knew the person who had been in the room previously so it was a little less bothersome, but still took away from our stay.

Upon booking the venue, the bride (and myself) were given discounted room rates as the entire venue was booked for the day prior and the day of her wedding. When I checked out I was told my room would cost over $300, double what I was originally quoted. In shock, i went to find the bride and groom to see if they could offer assistance. The staff at the English Inn had no idea that any rates had previously been set and could not get ahold of a manager as she was out of town. This was not the first time we had trouble with the staff as there were several occasions leading up to, on the day of and after the wedding where the bride spent precious moments searching for emails to communicate with staff what had previously been agreed upon.

Although this venue is a real-life fairytale, it is extremely poorly managed, unorganized and understaffed. Disappointing,

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jen W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
Hotel Grand Pacific
#13 of 49 in Victoria
Inn at Laurel Point
#11 of 49 in Victoria

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!