“Wonderful, friendly, relaxing, quiet, gorgeous place to stay.”
Review of Rosemary Inn

Rosemary Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Esquimalt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My weekend at Denniston's was very special. The atmosphere is so relaxing, the view is gorgeous, the host is so very, very friendly and the accomodations are clean, modern and stylish. The Safari room was beautifully appointed and cozy and comfortable. The rates are affordable and worth every cent. My new favorite place to stay in Victoria! I especially liked that I didn't have to hang around and wait for a full breakfast, there was do it myself stuff in the room and I could come and go as I pleased without feeling as though I was paying for something I wasn't getting, like a 5 course breakfrast, that's not my thing anyway. Highly recommend this BB & B!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Rosemary Inn

Reviewed 29 September 2009

Denniston by the Sea was the last B&B of our tour of Alberts and BC, and what a finale!

The view from the sitting/dining room across the water to the USA and Vancouver Island was matched the view from our bedrooms: just breathtaking. The decor of the public and private rooms was in style with the house, sitting at the end of a cul de sac, with a waterside walk. The route into downtown Victoria was straightforward and easy to find.

Our host was most helpful and attentive to our needs, and the breakfast as excellent as the view.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2007

As the planner of our honeymoon, it was important I make the lodgings and meals as special as I knew how. And as a B&B veteran of many years, and a prior visitor to Victoria, I knew the town boasts of many fine such establishments.

But Rosemary and her Denniston By The Sea set a new gold standard for me - and thoroughly delighted my new bride! It didn't hurt that our room was decorated for our arrival with loads of balloons and a "Just Married" banner.

The location, a very easy five minute drive from downtown, is superb - on a small bay, overlooking the rocks just below, on which the sound of waves lapping will readily lull you to sleep after a full day of exploring Victoria and it's surroundings.

The rooms are themed, and those themes are so thoroughly carried out it can take you a few days just to notice all the touches - the Safari Room is downright entertaining. The lovely and leisurely breakfasts are not for dainty eaters, although if all you want is fruit and coffee that is easily handled too (don't deny yourself a taste of Rosemary's triple-cream topping!).

The living/dining area is very comfortable, and the picture window view of the bay and Rosemary's cozy garden right outside can make it hard to leave and start your day. Outside, overlooking the water-feature garden, is a deck and jacuzzi, which other guests assured me was most delightful; we just never had time for it during our four-night stay, as there is so much to do and see.

I can say without reservation that Rosemary is the most helpful B&B operator I have ever met. She's more like a really smart concierge who anticipates your needs even before you know them, volunteering ideas and tips that always prove right on the money. She made sure we booked well in advance for those things that are in high demand in the summer, such as Saturday night dinner in the fine dining room at Butchart Gardens, or whale watching (her tips: go out late in the day because the boat operators will have found where the orcas are by then, and be certain you're up to some bone-jarring and possibly getting wet if you book on a Zodiac).

We will no doubt be returning to Victoria for more R&R in the future, and it's hard to imagine staying anywhere else now that we've been spoiled by the Denniston experience.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoundDoctor
Reviewed 19 September 2007

Perched on a rock cliff directly on the water.
We stayed for 2 nights in the Safari Room overlooking the Straights of Juan de Fuca and a small harbour. Very well decorated and featured room with a great views from both windows. A large TV/DVD combination and a refridgerator well stocked with bottled water and soft drinks were a welcome touch. Breakfast was unique and more than ample each day. Your host, Rosemary and your fellow guests were a pleasure. About 5 minutes from the Victoria Inner Harbour. We would most certainly suggest this B&B to friends.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobOttawa
Reviewed 22 August 2007

My sister and I spent a week in Victoria, and decided to stay at Denniston-by-the-Sea because it sounded sounded so peaceful. It was the best place we've ever stayed--it MADE our trip!

Rosemary helped us with our plans long before we got there, and continued to be very helpful throughout our stay. She even sent a blanket for us to sit on at the Saturday night fireworks at Butchart Gardens and made dinner reservations for us!

The B&B is charming and comfortable--a tranquil retreat after a day of sightseeing. Our spacious room had breathtaking views of the Juan de Fuca Strait with the snow-capped Olympics in the background. We opened our windows at night, and the sound of the water lapping on the rocks was very soothing. We've never slept so well!

Rosemary's breakfasts were something else--I've requested all her recipes! Every morning we had fresh fruit and a delicious breakfast entree (different every morning) as well as a choice of dry cereals, juice, tea, etc. Breakfast was served in a sunny bay window , overlooking the back flower garden and the water! We enjoyed chatting with guests from Europe and the US.

The B&B is in a residential area, about 5-10 minutes from the Inner Harbor by car. However, we didn't want to bother with parking in Victoria, so we took the bus--the bus stop is only about two blocks away.

We were very impressed with the people in Victoria--everyone from clerks to waiters to bus and cab drivers was extremely friendly and helpful! We can't wait to go back, and we will definitely stay at the Denniston-by-the-Sea again!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank AJStorz
Reviewed 21 July 2007

We can't agree more with the good reviews on Trip Advisor. We were in the South Pacific room which is the largest room, but peeked at the others and they all looked nice. Our view was beautiful and Rosemary IS an exceptional hostess. Helpful and knows her stuff but never intrusive. The ride into town was a quick/easy 5 minutes and exploring in other directions of Vancouver Island was easy access as well. Except for Spinnaker's Brew Pub restaurant (good!) there isn't much yet in Esquimalt ( b and b's location) but I bet with all the development there will be soon! It was nice to come "home" to Denniston by the Sea.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne A
Reviewed 24 May 2007

What a beautiful place! Rosemary is won of the most charming and cordial people you could ever have the good luck to meet. Terrific views, great food, and a home so beautiful you truly will not want to leave. A fabulous neighborhood alive with all the sounds and sights of Victoria. Great location. You will feel fortunate indeed to spend time here. Thank you so much Rosemary, I cannot wait to come back again!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MichaelV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
English Inn
#1 of 2 in Esquimalt
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Esquimalt

Been to Rosemary Inn? Share your experiences!