“Lawrence short break in July 2014”

and 1 more site!
Chirnside Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirnside
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Lawrence short break in July 2014”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Having stayed at many hotels in Britain and abroad I have to say this one is up there with the best. The welcome, service and food was excellent, different menu each night, this is not to be found in many of the larger hotels. Tessa's attention to detail for your stay is fantastic and despite the poor review from "The sausage man" the sausages were really lovely. I would dispute his review had he spoken to Tessa at the time his issues would have been resolved I am sure.Having not visited this part of Scotland before Tessa was extremely helpful with everything we asked and advised us of some of the best places to visit during our short stay.
I have no hesitation in writing such a positive review and I know this will not be our only visit to Chirnside Hall Hotel....I would like to add our compliments to the chef who also made our stay an excellent one

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lis L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Eyemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Fantastic hotel, beautiful setting, incredible food, great staff and if you ask them nicely they even organise fantastic weather for you!
Wonderful venue for a wedding or special occasion - and you can rent the whole hotel for a special weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank David A
north east scotland
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We only stayed for a single Sunday night however everthing was perfect from our very comfortable room - our evening meal and the freshly cooked breakfast. A fine spot in a glorious part of Scotland - we with be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank yandinazetland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have just returned home from a truly wonderful stay at this hotel. Tessa, the owner made us feel so welcome and at home as soon as we arrived and throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble. My mother and I stayed in rooms 2 and 4 which were lovely rooms with very modern bathrooms. The rooms were very clean and tastefully furnished with newly refurbished bed headboards. The four course dinner each evening was excellent. There was a different type of fresh bread each evening and the menu changed daily. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in and I can't wait to stay there again. Well done Tessa and her team - keep up the excellent work!

Room Tip: Room 4 has a very modern large bathroom. Room 2 has a beautiful view and a very modern bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary M
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We spent a night at Chirnside on our way to Scotland. My husband, being a motor racing enthusiast, enjoyed visiting the nearby Jim Clark room. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. We booked DBB and were provided with a beautifully presented, fresh and tasty vegan evening meal in the restaurant, with views of the surrounding countryside. Breakfast was also good. An excellent place to break our journey, we are sure to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Knegsel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 April 2014

First I would like to apologize for my English writing, I'm a foreigner.
I stayed in Chirnside Hall Hotel with Easter for four days, it was a short
holiday, while passing through. The hotel is nicely situated in the Scottish
Borders I like the sloping landscape and had some nice walks. I can mention
that I haven't seen the bucket which was filled with cigarettes ends. To me
it is obvious that the owners take care of the comments of their guests. The
stay in the hotel was pleasant and the chef prepared delicious meals. The
room was a nice size, the bed was comfortable I slept very well and the
bathroom was modern.
What stands out to me are the Stags heads with their huge antlers they suit
this old country house very well. If you like game shooting this will be an
excellent place to stay, I will come back in autumn when the season starts.

As a suggestion when you visit Chirnside Hall reserve a room at the front of
the hotel you will have stunning views, for free at the Cheviots. If you
don't have a room at the front don't be disappointed, the lounge and the
dining room also have these fantastic views.

Thanks to Tessa and Christian and their staff members, I enjoyed my stay
very much, it feels like visiting friends

Room Tip: reserve a room at the front of the hotel you will have stunning views, for free at the Cheviots
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank K S
Murkle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We would usually stay at ‘Airds’ when we need to visit Glasgow, but due to poor predicted weather conditions we chose Chirnside Hall. The hall advertises itself as four stars; it certainly is not an AA 4 star rated hotel
On arriving at the impressive front door, you are greeted by a bucket of old cigarette ends, not very pleasant especially as non-smokers.
Check in was smooth as we were the only guest staying that night, no pleasantries exchanged, just a request to fill in the guest book. Due to previous reviews we were expecting a little more interaction with our host.
We were shown to room 2. On entering the room both our faces fell. It looked like the bed was as old as the hotel; the headboard looked like it had over a hundred years of hair oil/wax on it. Not only that, the bedspread had several holes in it and very tired looking. The room was large enough and the bathroom was very modern but the whole room lacked any charm or warmth, it certainly looked nothing like the four poster room on the website. As the only guests booking the most expensive room you would think that you might actually get the best room. We did consider just walking away but having already paid nearly £500 for two nights we decided to spend as little time in the room as possible and just hoped the food was as good as previous reviewers have claimed. There did not appear to be an ongoing renovation work in progress so no excuse there.
To be fair, the food was very good, we both enjoyed the dinners on both nights, not a huge choice but this is low season and what we did have was well cooked and presented, we will not compare it to ‘Airds’ as that would be unfair even though they are both supposed to be four star as only Airds is a true four star. The only thing that let breakfast down was the sausage, not a very high quality product. I supply butchers all over the south of England and have eaten many fine sausages (and some not so fine) so I feel qualified to comment on this subject.
The public rooms are pleasant.
Would we visit again? No, we would travel the extra 140 miles to Airds next time and just hope the weather held out. If you are hiring the whole house, the experience may be different, which may account for some of the top ratings given on tripadviser.
We have attached pictures of the headboard and the room we were allocated, along with the bucket of cigarette ends that greet you on arrival.
To sum up, £500 for 2 nights DB&B was poor value for money compared to every other hotel we have stayed in in the UK from Cape Wrath to Cornwall.

Room Tip: We can't because we didn't get one.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Honesty
TessaL39, Owner at Chirnside Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your comments, and I am genuinely sorry you felt that way. We care deeply about our guest experience. We strive to provide the best service for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.
I would have liked you, to have made your feelings known at the time, so I could have made an appropriate gesture of goodwill. Kind regards Tessa Korsten
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirnside
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill-on-Tweed
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in St Boswells

Been to Chirnside Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!