“The view! The lemon tart! The friendly staff...”
Review of Inver Lodge Hotel

Inver Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lochinver
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The view! The lemon tart! The friendly staff...”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The dining room has one of the best views I have seen anywhere. At this time of year sunset happens during dinner - and it is gorgeous, looking out to the western isles as wee boats travel across the bay.

The food was good too. Veggies get their own menu, with a good choice of options. For me the highlight of the meal was definitely the lemon tart - really delicious.

The staff were friendly and although clearly aiming to be a 5* hotel it wasn't stuffy. Also, unlike eating recently in another highly rated Scottish hotel, you didn't get a hushed description of each item and a feeling you were going to get a test at the end!

We didn't stay at the hotel, so can only comment on the restauarant. Am writing the review on a mobile so sadly don't know how to upload my sunset photo.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fifporter
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for your appreciated review of our Chez Roux Restaurant. We are indeed lucky to have such a wonderful view and at this time of the year with the clear days the sunsets are amazing as you say. It is great to read how much you enjoyed your meal and how comfortable you were with the service. I agree that the Lemon Tart is superb Mr Roux's reciepe for me is the best I have every had, chef will be dlighted that you enjoyed it so much. I hope that next time you are in the area we can welcome you back. Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Hildenborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Fabulous hotel set high in the mountains of Scotland. Our room was super with beautiful modern bathroom. The food is lovely as you'd expect from a top chef. Staff were very helpful. PS if you stay with children ask for room no 1 it comes with a fab view!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit and I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed the hotel and room 1. I hope that we can welcome you all back before too long.
Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton
York
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Beautiful views and good service, this hotel is a worthy destination. Highlights were the open use of the billiards room, ejnoying an Irish coffee in front of the fire and a wonderful breakfast infront of those superb views.

Only dissappointment was the policy to close bar meals at 6pm. This left you unable to have a light meal, having no choice except to take the full multi course Chez Roux dinner. However, we found a good alternative in the village.

You are guafanteed a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Hotel does not have a swimming pool or a fitness centre so please ignore last two ratings above. Gli...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhighton
Thank you for being our first review for 2013 and I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer room service which can provide a lighter choice for the evening however we are normally quite flexable on the time when bar bites finish so I must apologise that this was not conveyed to you on this occassion. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back before too long and that you will enjoy a bar meal early evening. Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just got back from a wonderful, late-Autumn week, in the Highlands due to two factors: great weather and Nicholas Gorton's excellent Inver Lodge Hotel in Lochinvar. True, Nicholas cannot take credit for the weather but if he managed that, too, it would be as well-run as his hotel. We had days of crisp, clear, Autumn sunlight that ignited the hills into a blaze of russets, copper and gold. Then we had dustings of snowy whiteness intermingling with the heather until the entire scene resembled frothy mounds of cappuccino. We gazed with awe.

Initially, I was weary of booking my partner and our two children (five and eight) into the Inver Lodge supposing it not a "family hotel" but a quick call to Nicholas confirmed that we'd be welcomed rather than tolerated. Yes, at this time of the year, the majority of guests are retired couples but everybody--staff and guests--were so kind to our children it really didn't matter. On the contrary, the stylish informality of the hotel, permitted by its modern, open-plan layout and experienced staff, accommodated our needs perfectly. For instance, civilised dining at Inver Lodge's Chez Roux Restaurant was possible because our children could depart, after gobbling down their food, to curl up in the ample sofas around the fireplace in the spacious foyer-lounge. We could continue dining while keeping an eye on them from where we were seated. Desserts could be served to them in the Lounge, too, which they really appreciated. True, we're lucky that our children enjoyed the glowing, hunting-lodge ambience that seemed to settle them in the evenings but, likewise, they could move through the hotel easily without becoming a hazard or hinderance to other guests. Open plan! We had a Superior Sea View Room. The children shared an ample sofa bed that was turned down and made up while we dined and folded away promptly during breakfast: excellent room service and housekeeping. The bathroom was a little cramped but well maintained. The service at Chez Roux Restaurant is excellent and the food: breakfast and dinner, never failed to impress. Our son, Alex, eat the Scottish Breakfast every morning; yes, there was Haggis and Black Pudding! There we kippers with delicious lemon-butter, too.There is also the option of picnic hampers for lunch; handy if you plan a long drive and most restaurants and cafes are closed, as is the case at this time of the year. Service in the Restaurant was just right. Never felt forgotten or overlooked. Indeed, a hotelier ultimately depends on the quality of his staff and Nicholas appears to have the knack of picking people committed to excellence without being stuffy or unduly formal. There's genuine pride in what they do. Every member of staff we met was charming, friendly and all are very knowledgeable about the area and local attractions and will always have the time to chat through the options.

We had a magical time and would thoroughly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for breathtaking scenery, fantastic walks and a warm, welcoming hotel. Oh, and the deer just metres outside your window in the morning are an added bonus!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Thank you very much for your appreciated review of the week you spent at Inver Lodge with your family.
The weather continues this week to be very autumnal with blue skies, sunshine but with a definite cool breeze, if I could only arrange good weather for everyone !
We like to think that we make everyone welcome no matter what the age of our guest, and I am especially delighted to read how much the children enjoyed their stay.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you all back in 2013.
Kind regards , Nicholas Gorton
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband while driving through the West Highlands and I have to say, we were disappointed. Having read all the very positive reviews, our expectations were high.
The hotel itself is pleasant enough but it has virtually no facilities and there’s nothing happening in it. The whole time we were there, there was this ‘deathly silence’. It made you feel as if you needed to whisper while tiptoeing around the place. If you’re looking for a hotel that has a bit of a ‘buzz’ about it, this is definitely not the place for you.
It felt like an upmarket retirement home rather than a top rated hotel. Sitting in your room, you would hear bedroom doors opening and closing but the corridors and reception area were always deserted.
The uncomfortable ‘quiet’ carried through to the restaurant too, there’s nothing relaxing about dining here. The quietness was only broken by guests with very loud voices discussing how good the shooting/fishing was, which paddock would be best for the new pony arriving next week and whether or not to spend 2 or 3 weeks in France skiing this winter (need I say more, you probably get the picture?).
Dinner was nice enough but nothing special considering what you’re paying. I ordered cheese rather than a dessert, and my crackers arrived along with my husband’s (excellent) lemon tart about 10 minutes after I’d finished the cheese. I never eat crackers anyway so it wasn’t an issue, but my husband had to point out that the crackers and his dessert had been forgotten about as no one noticed!
My other quibble was the maids starting on our room while we are having breakfast, despite the fact that we were checking out that morning. We returned to the room to pack and found the bed had been stripped & re-made with fresh linen, presumably for new guests and they’d put all the coffee/tea making facilities away & were in the process of taking all the towels away. Next thing we expected was a shove out the door!
Breakfast however was very good and the staff very polite.
We've stayed in many hotels of the same standard as this one and liked them much more. I don't think the Inver Lodge is value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank LizMA28
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your one night stay at Inver Lodge during your recent trip to the north.

The night you stayed the hotel was ¾ full so there normally is quite a good atmosphere no matter what the ages of our customers.

I would agree that you appeared to wait an excessive time for your husbands Lemon Tart and your cheese biscuits, we are going to review our cheese service procedure.

Regarding the housekeeping it is not normal policy to partly service the room for a departing guest and I can only apologise that you felt that your were being hastily removed from the hotel.

If you would consider returning to Inver Lodge I would be grateful if you could contact me direct on nlg@inverlodge.com

Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Assynt and Coigach have some of the most impressive scenery in Scotland. Amazing beaches (Achmevich) nice we villages (Kylesku and Achiltibuie) for lunch. An an outstanding area for wildlife, geography, geology, history and archeology.

Inver lodge has great food complimented by some very compitent young enthusistic staff. Rooms are well appointed large and very comfortable. The hotel harks back to a Victorian sooting lodge without being all darl mahogany and clutter. It is a bright contemporary hotel with all you need for a relaxing time.

I have been several times before. Once upon a time they had a very nice shop well stocked with local crafts (Lochinver pottery) and practical items like fishing tackle toiletries etc. I think the management has forgotten they have a shop and it is to say the least disapointing. It really is a bit of a loss and would be better closed altogether if it can't be freshened up stocked and run properly.

Still we all really enjoyed Inverlodge. It was the third and best out of it and out of three hotels we stayed in on this trip, Aucrannie (Arran) and Duisdale (Skye). My friend was disables and though the adapted room was already taken his mobility problems presented no issue with room an resteraunt car park all on the same level.

Room Tip: They are all nice but specify you requirements and the staff will help get the best room for you.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your return visit to Inver Lodge and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed it as much as you have done in the past. Regarding the shop, this winter part of reception and shop will be replaced with a private dining/ meeting room which will also offer whisky tasting and whisky for sale. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again before too long. Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton
Bury
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We have stayed at this hotel once or twice each year for the last fifteen years or so and we rate it as the best hotel we have ever visited in the UK.

Expertly managed for the ease and comfort of the guests by Nicholas Gorton and his staff, the rooms are spacious and very well equipped and all have magnificent views of the fishing harbour and the sea beyond. On clear days you can make out the hills on the Outer Hebridean Islands.

The restaurant is a real pleasure; the service is expert, efficient and friendly and the menu has improved (if that were possible) under the Albert Roux guidance and input. Excellent breakfast menu and marvellous dinner menu.

The hotel has easy access to wilderness-type walks; you just select your route and go! Better still, the fishing is superb whether you want huge lochs, smaller lochans or rivers. The Inver and the Kirkcaig rivers have good salmon runs and plenty of brown trout in them.
It's not unusual for deer to graze on the lawns around the hotel which adds to the charm and we've seen seals and sea otters in and around the harbour.

Finally, the Inver Lodge has an ambience of tranquility, luxury and warmth. In the words of the song: "Simply the Best"

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms for ease of access if you have a problem with stairs. My wife always requests Roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eddie C
inverlodge, General Manager at Inver Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your visits to Inver Lodge and how much you have enjoyed all aspects of the food and service that we offer to help make your stays memorable. I hope that we can contunue to to succed in this for many years to come and hope to welcome you back before too long. Kind regards, Nicholas Gorton & the Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochinver
The Summer Isles Hotel and Restaurant
#2 of 9 in Lochinver
Park House B & B
Park House B & B
#7 of 9 in Lochinver

Been to Inver Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!