“Best Scotland Memory”
Review of Duncraig Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plockton
Duncraig Castle
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Absolutely fantastic! Nothing bad to say about this place : location is gorgeous, castle is splendid, furniture and decoration is lovely, staff & Suzanne are very welcoming, price is very reasonnable... We absolutely loved it! Don't forget to go down to the private beach and watch the sunset over Plockton from there!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Duncraig Castle is a truly unique place to stay. Upon arrival i was greeted personally by Lady Duncraig who made me feel most welcome. The castle has been very tastefully restored with an eye for the original detail. This is complimented by the vast knowledge of Suzan and her staff with the willingness to spend time explaining the history as you are guided to your room.

The Room was warm and welcoming with very comfortable furnishings and a magnificent en suite. The view out into the highlands and across Plockton is breath taking and offers something different every time you look. The guest lounge has games and books on offer to use whilst sitting by the open fire.

Breakfast is prepared and served with attention to the smallest detail. Home made bread accompanies a very traditional breakfast to set you up for the day. The background music of Scottish Pipes and the crackle of the open fire only adds to the experience.

I would thoroughly recommend Duncraig Castle to anyone wanting a unique and personal experience within a building of true character.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We drove to Duncraig Castle from Loch Lomond via a very circuitous route (very beautiful scenerey and well worth the journey) using satnav .... as we neared the Kyle of Lochalsh our satnav took us on a quite a wild route .... we found out later in the day there is an easier way but it all added to the fun.

Whichever way you take though ... your final approach is along a one track road ... the you turn off onto a driveway and then you see a building - this is not the Castle .... keep going and after a couple of hundred yards all is revealed ....!!!!! The castle is there ... a huge and splendid building ... unfortunately to the right is a 1960's annex which was used byh a school .... they are trying to get permission to demolish it.

So, eyes forward and to the left and what you see is superb ... then it's in through the front door and into a bygone age ... huge rooms with 20 feet high ceilings and trappings from yesteryear. We met Trevor the manager .... a very helpful young man ... who turned out to do everything ... not a problem as whilst we were there only 3 rooms were operating and 6 more are being refurbished.

Our room was upstairs (remember how high the ceilings are ..!!!!) ... and the room was massive ... about 25 by 30 feet with separate dressing area and a huge bathroom with bath and shower. The bed had the biggest and heaviest duvet we have ever seen.

There is a guest lounge upstairs with superb views to Plockton whilst breakfast in on the ground floor in a large dining room with real log fire .... breakfast was made to order and all the usual trimmings were available - including porridge.

From the Castle it's a n easy drive to Plockton for some good restaurants and in about 15 minutes you are over the bridge and on to Skye.

Next time we are in the area we will stay at the Castle again but saty for longer as one night was not enough.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We booked rooms in this castle through a third party and as usual we always checked before departure that they had received our booking. The very friendly owner Susanne, reassured us that everything was OK with the reservation.

The site looked deserted on arrival and we had to get the handyman to alert the reception to our arrival. The chap who was in charge looked very surprised to see us, he was not aware of our booking but he was able to provide us with a room.

When we returned from our meal, I thought I'll have a bath in the lovely free-standing bath. It turns out that an electric fuse had tripped and there was no hot water. Trying to raise somebody in that building and notify them of the problem was quite difficult. Despite promises, there was no hot water that night and the following morning it only lasted for a couple of minutes.

All in all, not the enjoyable stay we would have imagined in this well reviewed accommodation, however we would highly complement the delicious full Scottish breakfast.

Sotirios

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Suzannegh, Owner at Duncraig Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

I'm very sorry that this customer had a problem with his reservation and that we had issues with the hot water serving the bath - the water to his en-suite power shower was unaffected. I had hoped that deducting a substantial sum from his bill, which I cheerfully offered, would have made up for his disappointment - I note that he has nonetheless given us top marks for location, rooms and sleep quality.

All guest rooms have instructions on how to contact me or other staff after hours, which can be fun at times owing to there being around 80 rooms in the castle - there is always someone present at the property when guests are in residence.

And yes we are happy to regard ourselves as amateurs, providing B & B guests with an opportunity to stay in an extraordinary building - despite its scale and size, Duncraig Castle is still my family home.

Suzanne

Reviewed 7 March 2011

My husband and I arrived mid week in mid October. It looked like we had the entire castle to ourselves with the exception of the young man who ran the B&B. We did eventually meet Suzanne, the owner, who was the perfect hostess. The breakfast was fun in front of a roaring fire with music and a wonderful view. The room was huge and the view went on forever. The room did get cold but the bed was warm - hot water bottles provided - and that did the trick. It is not the Ritz and does not try to be. It is a fun adventure and well worth the price of admission. Be sure to give it a try but first be sure to watch all of the episodes of Monarch of the Glen and Hamish McBeth - this last series was filmed in the nearby town of Plockton. The restaurants in Plockton were surprisingly good. Don't miss the Plockton Shores.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jansmom
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The whole experience was truly amazing from arriving at 7pm to find a beautifully lit castle in stunning surroundings to then being greeted by a fantastic host Suzanne in the reception room and even offered an alcoholic beverage which was definitely needed...

My room had fantastic views of the loch was extremely comfortable with no expense spared on either decor or linen, towels, pillows and such like.

In the morning I had an authentic Scottish breakfast including pancakes which I have to say were the best I have ever eaten!
Then I went for a walk around the castle and loch to view the stunning scenery.

I would most certainly recommend Duncraig Castle to anyone visiting Scotland a truly amazing experience...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2011

When my partner told me that he was taking me to stay in a Scottish castle for the weekend, to say I was excited would be an understatement. Let me tell you, Duncraig Castle did not disappoint. When we turned the corner and I first saw the castle, I was speechless. A very impressive building set on beautifully landscaped grounds, with amazing views.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect as we entered the castle, but it was honestly just like the set of an old movie. The first thing you see is a massive tiger skin rug, in a room with a beautiful fireplace and magnificent old paintings. As we made our way through the castle, we saw suits of armour, more gorgeous fireplaces and paintings, and many other things that you would expect to see in a castle.

The bedroom itself was fantastic. Clean, beautifully furnished and one of THE most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. All this, and then waking up with one of the most stunning views over the water, is definitely something I could get used to :)

The town of Plockton was great too. We went to the local pub for some lunch and were greeted by some of the friendliest people ever. We went for a walk around the town, and I have to say, that my favourite thing about it was looking back out over the water and seeing the castle. It looked amazing from there too, and I have to say I felt pretty special (like a princess) knowing that’s where I was staying for the weekend.

All in all, I had a great weekend at Duncraig, and hope that I’m lucky enough to do it all again someday. I definitely recommend to all.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KathyP79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plockton
Shieldaig Lodge
#1 of 14 in Plockton
Seabank Bed & Breakfast
Seabank Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 14 in Plockton

Been to Duncraig Castle? Share your experiences!