“Nice relaxing week”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at this resort from Nov. 6 to Nov. 12, 2011. We were in a Golden Junior Suite in Building 8. This overlooks the golden pool and lagoon, and is what is known as the Hangover Zone as it is so quiet and nice. Great Pool and bar, thanks to Veronica, the wonderful and friendly bartender. Try a dirty monkey and a ticket to fly!. Take a six pack of beer to the room no problem. Our room was spacious and very nice. Spa bath tub was great. We drank drinking water (provided) but the whole resort is water treated, so no sickness. Very nice. At the Mar & Tierra restaurant (near the beach), meet another excellent associate Isaac. He was so nice and accomodated all of what you would want. The beach was fantastic. Veronica, the bar tender there was supurb. All of these associates and more should deserve recognition. Restaurants: All were very good, but my favorites were Japanese (we did the habachi communal table....and lucky me I sat at a table with 8 beautiful women (including my wife). It was fun. The Mexican restaurant was excellent, as was the Indonesian and French. The Italian perhaps could use some improvement for authenticity-i.e. lasagna was mushy and rather bland). We did not have a chance to eat at the Lobster Pot, although the sea food we had at lunches was always good. Bottom line-we had a great room and the staff was supurb. Price was right and recommend you consider this place if looking for a true all inclusive.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

We went to the Valentin for our Honeymoon on Oct 24th, 2011. We arrived on the first day it had stopped raining in 5 days, but the sun was shining. We were welcomed with champagne and our room was not ready, but they did upgrade us to Oceanview. We thought we had already booked oceanview and excpected a more elaborate upgrade given that it was our honeymoon. The lobby was beautiful, quite grand! The staff were very friendly and helpful.

We changed and wandered around the property until lunch. Our first meal was lunch at the buffet and it was delicious. Not to mention that you do not need a bracelet or to make reservations for any of the many al la cartes they had to offer.

Our room was ready shortly after lunch and it was very nice, clean and modern. Lots of closet space, a mini bar fridge stocked with lots of water, beer and sodas. We were in building 5 which was a great spot. Close to the pool and mid way to the lobby or to the beach. The pool was right behind our building but we really could not see it from our room for all the palms around us. Be careful...The ice machine on the second floor was leaking or someone spilled ice on floor and it melted and dripped down the stairwell and I slipped and fell down the stairs the first day! What a way to start our honeymoon!

The pool is huge! Two swim up bars! There is definately a quieter side to the pool and the fun side. There are plenty of chairs in the water and around the perimeter of the pool. The drinks at the swim up bar were great and the staff were very friendly and attentive.

There are a few vendors around the pool that are there almost everyday so you don't have to go to down if you want to purchase a few souvenirs and there are also vendors other nights on the resort up by the lobby with lots to choose from and you can barter for a bargain!

The beach was fabulous although the water was a bit rough a few days due to the hurricane on the other coast one week and the hurricane headed for Yucatan on the Friday after we were leaving. Sunday a lifeguard rescued a gentleman that was just being swept out.

The beach was clean and the drinks were served in styrofoam cups with lids and straws so no need for our thermal coffee mugs we brought with us. Unless of course you plan to nurse your beer! Sometimes it was worth ordering two drinks because by the time you finished one she was not back for a while!

Restaurants were fabulous! We did not eat at the seafood or Mexican because I ate Mexican at lunch most days!

The Indonesian was fabulous. We ate there twice. The Mahi Mahi was delicious and lived up to the expectations after reading about someone that ordered it daily. The appetizers were all good. Each time we went we ordered 3 and split them between us and they are small enough that you don't overeat! The house wine was fantastic. No need to spend extra on wine unless your refined palate requires it! The staff were super friendly and explained anything you asked them. The menus at the Indonesian were on burlap scrolls!

The Steak & Seafood restaurant turns into an a la carte for lunch. They start you off with some guac and salsa and chips while you order. The fish on the menu was delicious and served with rice and mixed veg. One of my favs was the Ceviche which is a white fish that is raw and it cooks in the lemon juice and vinegar that it is marrinated in with red onion and cilantro. So it is cooked when you eat it! It was so good that once I discovered it, I ate it at the buffet at lunch or anytime I could. I am going to make it at home! We also tried the flank steak and my husband loved it. The Italian or French Restaurants are quite a wait some evenings. We went to go the Italian one evening and it was going to be a 40 min wait so we went back to the Indonesian. The good thing that aside from the Steak & Seafood, all of the restaurants are beside one another or very close by (Mexican). There is no buffet for dinner, just a la carte or room service. We never had room service, just for breakfast for the mornings we had excursions because the buffet does not open until 7am.

The French restaurant L'Alsace was delicious too. We had to wait a little bit, but they gave us a flashing coaster and we walked around the plaza for a bit.

The Italian Il'Olivo was great. They all were. We didnt wait long the first night because w went while the show was on. We did go twice too. We actually went back on the last night because the server we had was so busy and she was upset that she did not get to spend any time chatting with us and had forgot something we ordered the first night she insisted we come back another night so she could make it up to us. The food was fabulous the first and second time. She had our table set and waiting for us (we were 15 min late) She had rose petals all over the table and candles and she poured us champagne. She took extra time to make it extra special. I had the lasagna that evening and it was very good. I had ordered the tiramasu and it was delicious. We had no idea that she had a special dessert prepared. Out comes a plate with a chocolate dessert that she had Happy Honeymoon written on it! She definately went the extra mile.

I will post pictures later. Overall we had a great experience. We met lots of couples that were returning guests. We would definately consider going back. We like to try different places, but it was such a great experience I'd hate to go somewhere else and be disappointed.

They have a beautiful chapel there and another spot that is outside we saw a wedding ceremony and dance with a band taking place. It is actually where a fountain is or was. Later their party moved to the plaza which there was often live music or entertainment when the weather is good!

They had a Michael Jackson show that was something to write home about and provided a few laughs. They also had a Mexican theme night that we went to see the Mariache band play but did not eat because we had already had dinner. Had I known....I did have the Mexican coffee with the tequila and fruit it in. I am not a coffee drinker, but I was chilled and one cup of that and I was all warm inside. I went back for seconds!

This was our first trip to Mexico and we were not disappointed whatsoever. The resort, the food, the people, the pool, the beach...it was all a hit!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Wineylips

Stayed at the Valentin from Nov6 through Nov10 for 19th wedding anniversary;
We had an excellent time, grounds were beyond beautiful and met lots of fun nice people.
Our room was in building 5 which was perfect...steps away from beach and also pool.
The beach and pool areas were nicest we have ever stayed in Mexico.
Other adult resorts we have stayed at were Secrets Capri and Royal Playa Del Carmen.
Our room at the Valentin was beautiful and very clean.
We enjoyed the room service champagne every day along with the buffalo wings which were delicious (order 2 orders, only 4 wings in an order)\
The rest of the food, we didn't really love. We tried the Indonesian which was not great, also tried the french restaurant which took 2 1/2 hours to eat dinner and barely ate the food it was so bad. We really enjoyed the Hibachi grill. That was our favorite.
There was a house band which played every night and we really enjoyed.
over all I would recommend going here. The service was great, the rooms and grounds were beautiful.
We don't care that much about food, we just like to relax and have fun.
If you care about food, think twice before you go here.
The presentation was nice, so obviously alot of effort was put into the food, but the end result just wasn't great.
I would definiltely go back....we really enjoyed.

4  Thank webefunnnn
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed at the Valentin the first week of November, right after Rina. We almost cancelled, but I'm glad we didn't! This trip was everything we hoped it would be: affordable, relaxing and enjoyable. We'd never stayed at an all-inclusive before, and the choices were overwhelming. BookIt.com recommended the Valentin because it was a quality resort but still within our modest budget. Here's a quick review!

Pros:
Excellent service--the staff was accommodating and friendly everywhere we went.
Food--it was so good! We only had one dinner we didn't really like--no big deal. We just didn't go back to that restaurant.
Layout--it was nice to walk to everything. I liked that we could choose to get away from the noise or activity if we wanted.
Grounds--they're beautiful! There was someone working on the grounds at some point during the day, every day. They do a nice job.
Beach--it was clean and everything we'd hoped for. The white sand was just that...it wasn't marred by any trash.
Shows--they were very well done. We were very impressed by the talent of the performers, and my husband and I are musicians. So it's usually hard to impress us! :)

Cons:
Appearance: It was a tad bit run down for my taste; however, it was clean. There were a few large leaks in the ceiling, but I'm not sure if that was due to Hurricane Rina or if they were always there. A fresh coat of paint would do wonders to spruce things up!
Things to do on-site: They had plenty of activities and the staff was genuine in trying to get people interested, but something was lacking. We tried kayaking one day, and it was miserable because the waves were so high. I wish there would have been snorkeling or other water activities--at times I felt like we were at the resort in "Dirty Dancing" with the cheesy games and activities. :) The water was our best friend during the day!

Other: We booked the Adventuras Mayas excursion through Best Day Travel with ziplining, rappelling, visiting Tulum (the ruins), and snorkeling in a cenote (underground river). Amazing. This was our favorite day. Limbert our guide was awesome, and it was very affordable! ($98 pp)

Thanks Valentin for a very nice week with my hubby! :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erin M
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I went here for my birthday in Dec 2010. This was one of the nicest hotels I’ve stayed at. The grounds and beach were spotless. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The only drawback that we found was that it was not very close to downtown playa so we did have to take a taxi for night-time fun. The rooms are stunning, the room service was incredible. For the time of year it was definitely pretty dead that could be good or bad depending on what type of atmosphere you're into. As a closing note please don’t waste your money on booking coco bongo through the hotel... they are not affiliated with the hotel, they have terrible customer service and the trip is a rip off. If you really want to go just pay the $15 at the door...

Room Tip: "use the bikes they have available to cruise around the resort"
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DeAnna T
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I were traveling sans kids and wanted an adults only resort. Our travel agent did us right by recommending this resort. We loved the seclusion and natural habitat. We loved starting every morning with mimosas and smiles from the friendly staff. The room was spacious and we loved the shower. We were on the ground floor, so it was easy for worms, lizards and other bugs to sneak in, but it was manageable given we could walk out our patio door to a secluded pool. Our favorite restaurant was the hibachi table at the Japanese restaurant Ginger. We also loved the thatched roofs on the beach and we loved even more that they were plentiful! Definitely have the beach drinks Manuel's Special and Ticket to Fly.

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank BarbsNC
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We just returned a few days ago from a 4 day stay at VIM as a group of 7. (Siblings and spouses). We loved this resort. The resort, rooms, pools and grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The resort is very clean but there are some areas where minor cosmetic repairs need to be made. Nothing that really detracted from the beauty of the resort or our enjoyment of our trip. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The resort wasn't very crowded during our stay since a lot of people had cancelled because of the hurricane the week before. The resort is a perfect size. Compact enough that you didn't have to walk to far to get from your room to the pool, beach, lobby or restaurants. We enjoyed the paths between locations for a little bit of exercise and for the scenery and wildlife watching!

From check-in to check out, things went smoothly for us. We were met with a cool, damp towel and a glass of sparkling wine. We were upgraded for free and without us asking from junior deluxe to a silver suite. I had emailed a few days prior and asked if our group could be place in rooms near each other. All but one couple were in the same building and that couple was able to switch to our building the next day. Our rooms were ready even though we checked in about an hour early. The night before we left, the bellman called up to set up a time to pick us and our bags up at our room for our departure transportation (which was at 4am). He arrived promptly at the scheduled time and our van to the airport was also right on time. The room itself was great! King sized bed with a small seating area in front of the TV. Large jacuzzi tub which is open to the room (curtain can be pulled to separate bathroom from bedroom). Toilet and shower were behind frosted glass doors in the bathroom. In room safes provided in all rooms. Ours worked perfectly, but my sister and her husband did have problems getting their safe to reopen and had to call several times to have security open the safe for them. Security did respond promptly each time but they never did get that safe working correctly. On several occasions, I did leave stuff out of the safe and most of the time my cell phone was not in the safe and we didn't have anything go missing at all.

We did enjoy the food on this trip. I thought the buffets were adequate for breakfast/lunch. Not the best I'd ever had, but certainly good enough and with enough choices that you could find something you wanted to eat. Once I decided to choose the cook to order stuff at the lunch buffet, I was very content with my meals. You can select from various types of raw chicken, steak and seafood and have them grill it for you. It was delicious! The guacamole at the resort is delicious and I made sure to eat as much as I could! The restaurants in the evening don't require reservations and are first-come, first-served. We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes each night and that was so they could set up a table for 7 for us. We usually ate around 630pm. Our favorite was the french restaurant. The chateaubriand was superb! We also ate at the italian, mexican and indonesian restaurants. The food and service was excellent at all of the restaurants. Highlights: flank steak at the mexican restaurant, beef carpachio and mushroom risotto at the italian restaurant. The staff at the indonesian restaurant even brought us out a surprise dessert for our 3rd wedding anniversary.

The bartenders at the pool bar (Earth), Jorge and Alejandro, were a lot of fun and very friendly. Drinks are made with top shelf liquor and are certainly not watered down. I enjoyed the house wines as well. There was also poolside service and beach side drink service if you didn't want to wander to the bars. Activity staff was very friendly and made sure to get people involved in events if they were interested. Only downside with activities was figuring out the schedule of events. The resort would slide a schedule for the next day under your door in the evenings. That schedule was accurate but not all the schedule boards in the lobby or activity center were updated. So, we attempted to do the zumba class and the resort bike tour as posted on the board by the activity center only to find out that weren't going on that day. When we double-checked the paper schedule, those events were not listed.

The beach area is gorgeous. There are some rocky areas if you go to the right when you get to the beach, but if you head to the left, there is a large expanse of sandy areas for going for a swim. We didn't have any problems getting a lounge chair under a palapa. And didn't see any evidence of any seat saving during our stay. We never had a problem getting a group of seats together in shaded areas by the beach or pool.

Overall, this was one of my favorite resorts so far. I really enjoyed the more compact size of this resort compared to some of the multiple hotel resort properties. This resort is great value for the money. I'd be willing to come back to this resort in the future!

Room Tip: Building 4 (we were in building 2) is a great location that is close to the pool and still well situ...
2  Thank NurseCarrie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#44 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!