We stayed at VIM from 5/17/14-5/24/14 in an Emerald Suite. We picked this resort because of the many excellent reviews we found on Trip Advisor (we also accounted for the not-so-great reviews in making our decision). We upgraded to the Emerald Suite because we wanted a nicer room near the beach and away from the pools. We had no problems with our airport transfer or check in - it all went very well. We were taken to our room by a very helpful man who gave us the tour and vacation began!
The room was a good size, had a king bed, and a partially obstructed ocean view - which was just fine. The one thing we noticed about the room during our stay is how beat up it was! Every piece of furniture had scratches, dents, gashes, stains, cracks, etc. There were also only about 10 hangers in the closet - for a weeks stay for 2 people, this was not sufficient. Additionally, IT IS TIME TO REPLACE THE LINENS! The sheets had stains, the towels were frayed and overall, they all need to be tossed out! The bed is HARD as a rock and the pillows are due to be replaced as they are about an inch thick and also hard as rocks. We loved that the room had a safe in it - and put everything of any value in there everyday when we left (even our phone chargers).
Our daily housekeeping service turned into a comedy act. The first full day, they did not leave washcloths, we called for some and they brought them. When they came to turn the beds down the housekeeper TOOK the washcloths away! Each and every day we laughed wondering what would be not replenished by them... one day it was bath towels, another it was bath mats. It was very strange to stay in a place like this and have to call every single day to have our room made "whole" by housekeeping. It was the same with the mini-fridge. We had to call almost every day for water, coffee, beer or juice. We thought this was so strange since we left tips for the housekeeping staff each and every day!
The restaurants are OK. We would NOT recommend the French - the food was very bad, the service was not up to par, and they did not have ONE wine selection that wasn't an upcharge. My husband got the Lobster Thermador for an extra $40 - not worth it at all! The Mexican restaurant was excellent - we went twice. We also went to the Italian and Steak House, both were okay. We went to the Indonesian and had the BEST service from Gabriele! Even though the food wasn't the best, her fun attitude made it a great experience. The buffets were really quite good - Marche was our favorite for all the fun selections. One of the things we really enjoyed is that room service is INCLUDED at no extra charge, so typically we had breakfast brought to our room. Highly recommend trying the green cactus juice - yum!
Now for the LIQUOR! Every top-shelf thing a person could drink is available... you just have to request it by name! If you are a beer drinker (like me), I hope you like Dos XX or Coors Light in cans - this is all that they offer. Worked out fine for me as I do love Coors Light, but I felt for people who don't like the 2 beer choices. I would highly recommend trying all of the fun blended drinks - the mudslides are delish as well as the Pina Coladas!
The beach was wonderful - we never had a problem securing a spot to hang out and the bartender Germain took excellent care of us! We never went to the pools because we see no point when we have an ocean to go to! The grounds are GORGEOUS! The nightly entertainment was so-so, but we liked sitting in the Plaza listening to the singer.
Check out was a breeze and our transfer back to the airport was perfect!
Overall, however, we felt that for the price we paid for a weeks stay we didn't really get top-notch service and the place is in serious need of a face lift! I am not sad about staying here, but wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, nor will we return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya