“Nice...but not 4-5 Stars!”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Arvada, Colorado
“Nice...but not 4-5 Stars!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at VIM from 5/17/14-5/24/14 in an Emerald Suite. We picked this resort because of the many excellent reviews we found on Trip Advisor (we also accounted for the not-so-great reviews in making our decision). We upgraded to the Emerald Suite because we wanted a nicer room near the beach and away from the pools. We had no problems with our airport transfer or check in - it all went very well. We were taken to our room by a very helpful man who gave us the tour and vacation began!

The room was a good size, had a king bed, and a partially obstructed ocean view - which was just fine. The one thing we noticed about the room during our stay is how beat up it was! Every piece of furniture had scratches, dents, gashes, stains, cracks, etc. There were also only about 10 hangers in the closet - for a weeks stay for 2 people, this was not sufficient. Additionally, IT IS TIME TO REPLACE THE LINENS! The sheets had stains, the towels were frayed and overall, they all need to be tossed out! The bed is HARD as a rock and the pillows are due to be replaced as they are about an inch thick and also hard as rocks. We loved that the room had a safe in it - and put everything of any value in there everyday when we left (even our phone chargers).

Our daily housekeeping service turned into a comedy act. The first full day, they did not leave washcloths, we called for some and they brought them. When they came to turn the beds down the housekeeper TOOK the washcloths away! Each and every day we laughed wondering what would be not replenished by them... one day it was bath towels, another it was bath mats. It was very strange to stay in a place like this and have to call every single day to have our room made "whole" by housekeeping. It was the same with the mini-fridge. We had to call almost every day for water, coffee, beer or juice. We thought this was so strange since we left tips for the housekeeping staff each and every day!

The restaurants are OK. We would NOT recommend the French - the food was very bad, the service was not up to par, and they did not have ONE wine selection that wasn't an upcharge. My husband got the Lobster Thermador for an extra $40 - not worth it at all! The Mexican restaurant was excellent - we went twice. We also went to the Italian and Steak House, both were okay. We went to the Indonesian and had the BEST service from Gabriele! Even though the food wasn't the best, her fun attitude made it a great experience. The buffets were really quite good - Marche was our favorite for all the fun selections. One of the things we really enjoyed is that room service is INCLUDED at no extra charge, so typically we had breakfast brought to our room. Highly recommend trying the green cactus juice - yum!

Now for the LIQUOR! Every top-shelf thing a person could drink is available... you just have to request it by name! If you are a beer drinker (like me), I hope you like Dos XX or Coors Light in cans - this is all that they offer. Worked out fine for me as I do love Coors Light, but I felt for people who don't like the 2 beer choices. I would highly recommend trying all of the fun blended drinks - the mudslides are delish as well as the Pina Coladas!

The beach was wonderful - we never had a problem securing a spot to hang out and the bartender Germain took excellent care of us! We never went to the pools because we see no point when we have an ocean to go to! The grounds are GORGEOUS! The nightly entertainment was so-so, but we liked sitting in the Plaza listening to the singer.

Check out was a breeze and our transfer back to the airport was perfect!

Overall, however, we felt that for the price we paid for a weeks stay we didn't really get top-notch service and the place is in serious need of a face lift! I am not sad about staying here, but wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, nor will we return.

Room Tip: If you want to hear the ocean - the Emerald Suites are for you!
5 Thank Kathleen C
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Kathleen from Arvada, Colorado

We appreciate the time dedicated for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at the Valentin Imperial Maya. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your room, the beach and oue restaurants.

On the other hand, it is always a true disappointment we did not meet all your perceived expectations .

The housekeeping crew would like to apologize for being unable to exceed your expectations when you gave us the opportunity to serve you.

Rest assured that immediate corrective actions in all the areas you have highlighted have been taken or in order to improve our service in the future.
We take your comments very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share them.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to change your perception and make you live the real VIM Experience.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,468)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I just got back from spending our 10th anniversary at the Valentin. We spent 4 days there and wished we could of spent more time. We arrived fairly early (by 1 p.m.) and our room was ready. We upgraded to an Emerald suite at 1/2 the cost during check-in. I would recommend waiting to book spa packages and room upgrades when you get there as there were several specials going on that you won't find out about until you get there. For example, there were daily spa specials for a reduced fare on many packages. They put the specials in the daily Valentin Journal that you are given each evening at turn down service. Our room was beautiful, had a jacuzzi in it and an obstructed view of the ocean. On one hand, it would of been nice to have a better ocean view, however, what you sacrifice in a view, you make up for in privacy. The trees and bushes deter beach onlookers from looking in your room during intimate moments ;). We were in building 9, which is probably the farthest removed from everything, but we liked it that way. Overall it was fairly quiet and we felt like there were maybe only a few other couples in the same building as us. You will hear noise from people outside of your room. So if people are walking by talking, you will hear it! So keep that in mind and be considerate of your neighbors if you are an early riser or come in late at night.

All of the furnishing are modern and for the most part, WiFi worked well in the room, by the pool, lobby, etc. It is spotty in other areas. The staff are absolutely amazing. Always smiling, and they go above and beyond to make you feel special. We had told the lady at check-in that it was our anniversary and on our 2nd day there (which actually wasn't our anniversary) they sent over a complimentary bottle of champagne and small cake. They also decorated our bed with rose petals. When my husband told them our anniversary was actually the next day, the maid doing turn down service again decorated our bed with roses, and then trailed roses on the floor to the jacuzzi and had already filled the jacuzzi for us and had rose petals floating in it!! Now that is personalized service! I have never been treated so well at any resort. We never had a problem with maid service at all.

Dining was good, some okay, some great. Since we were only there for 4 nights, we did not get to try all the restaurants. The Italian was by far our favorite (went there twice!). We always ate around 6:30ish and never waited at all. We always had our choice of where to sit (outside or in). I don't know if the resort was at full capacity or not, but it felt like it was half empty, which was lovely! With the exception of one waiter at the beachside restaurant, all of the wait staff are superb. We did tip well at dinner and a dollar here and there for other places, including the bar. We found Le Marche buffet better than the Mar y Tierra (beachside one). The after dinner chocolates at the Indonesian restaurant are to die for! I wish you could get those at all times! We asked for some to be delivered to our room, but I think they forgot. So yummy! I would rate most of the food above average and a few places as outstanding. Overall, we ate very, very well. Too well in fact!

The beach and pool are beautiful. We never had a problem getting a lounger, however, we did not spend ALL day at the pools/beach. We liked participating in the activities and then would go to the pool after lunch. If you are someone who wants to spend all day at the pool/beach, you should probably get there early to reserve a good spot. There are not very many floaties so do yourself a favor, go to Walmart before you leave, buy a couple of pool floaties for $3 and pack them in your suitcase. We saw alot of people who brought their own and thought that was smart.

Also, if you like coffee..... and I mean strong, robust coffee... BRING YOUR OWN and some filters. There is a coffee pot in your room and the room coffee was horrible!!! The coffee at the buffets isn't that much better. I am a fan of strong coffee (think Starbucks) and I was seriously wanting some good strong coffee!

Take advantage of the activities and spa. I wanted to do the Zumba, but unfortunately I was the only one that showed up so it was cancelled. We did the dance lessons and that was fun. Apparently there are shows on certain nights. On our last night they had a fire performance, which was nice. Ladies, take the time to dress up for dinner.. it was fun! And there are all types of evening entertainment for everyone's taste. From club dancing, to just sitting in the pavilion listening to a band, etc. We noticed that the majority of people at the resort were either in their mid-20's or in the over 50 crowd. We are in our upper 30's and found that most of the people there either didn't have kids yet, or their kids were grown. So we kind of felt a tad out of place, but not too much so. We still met a few couples and talked, it was fun. We went their to reconnect romantically so we weren't into the all day bar fest or the night club scene. So there is definitely something for everyone.

We did take the trip into Playa del Carmen, which was fun. You do have to reserve a seat at least the night before. There are only seats for 12 people so they will run out of room if you don't reserve a seat on the van. We found some of the vendors annoying, but most were very nice. Things are touristy and overpriced, but you can barter. Don't wait to get your souvenirs at the airport as they are much more expensive and the exchange rate at the airport is much lower. We also walked the beach and checked out one of the other resorts next door. That was fun too. Overall we had an amazing stay and this was our 1st time at an all-inclusive resort. My first time in Mexico too. I loved it and all of the people we encountered are very nice. Even the people at the airport were friendly. A firm, polite "no thank you" worked the majority of the time for the people haggling their wares.

Room Tip: If you want quiet.. ask for one of the farther away buildings.
4 Thank SaschaYork_PA
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear SaschaYork_PA,

It is very rewarding to read this kind of reviews, even more to know that you chose our beautiful resort to spend your anniversary, congratulations! Our main job is to make you have a memorable stay with us and we are very pleased that this was your case!

Will be our honor to host you again very soon!

Warm regards,
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I just returned back from the beautiful Valentin Imperial resort and, once again, had an amazing time. We arrived 14 May for one week and I have to say it was the best stay so far. Our visits here just keep getting better and better and they were fabulous to begin with. Right from the check in process with the privilege concierge Luis and Gerardo, to our final goodbye, everything was "top notch service".

We had a stunning emerald suite ground floor in building 10 which was in perfect area to both hear the ocean in the mornings and evenings, an easy walk to golden pool area and only 5 minutes more or so to get to main pool area.

Alexander and Edgar took great care to have our cabana bed at pool reserved for us and throughout the stay booked all our dining reservations along with any other request we had. These two worked so hard for us and other guests to make sure we had everything we needed to relax for the entire time. Always smiling and they remembered all guests names. They even made dining reservations for us "offsite" the resort. I can't thank them enough.

Speaking of dining, all restaurants were amazing from service to food selection and quality. so many choices of places to dine and options galore! Thanks to Luis in L'alace for the mexican wine selection. We loved it! Make sure to order the french onion soup here. It's to die for.

Ricardo in the Mexican restaurant made our final night there so memorable with a table set outisde by the fountain. Ambiance and food were amazing as usual.

Most days we saw the smiling faces of Guadelope, Freddy and Ivan in the Tierra and Mar restaurant which is buffet service in the mornings and lunch time. They were all so nice and never without a smile or their famous line' it's my pleasure" when you asked for anything.

We had some rain a bit each day during our stay but managed to still play tennis in the mornings knowing Alexander and Edgar had reserved our cabana bed (included with privilege upgrade). What would we do with out these two gentlemen..

David the photographer spents his days taking free photos of the guests with visiting friends like monkeys, parrotts, igunas. Never bothersome to the guests if not in the mood to have photo taken. Always polite.

Veronica, Joel and Ivan spent their days getting drinks non stop for us by the pool with smiles on their faces. Even if it was raining, they always showed up with trays of drinks for all!

We spent each evening visiting our favourite cocktail bar outside the lobby looking onto the courtyard at enterance to the resort (plaza bar). I never liked tequila until I had the pleasure of tasting freshley mixed margaritas, on the rocks with herradura tequila and a splash of grand marnier. HUGE FAN!!!!!
Gilberto and Antonio ( hi to Kids and wife from john and I and enjoy the books) became fast friends with us and we looked forward to seeing them each eveing before and after dinner.

The plaza Hacienda had entertainment each night which had the whole resort dancing and singing to both new and older music. We so looked forward to the warm evenings and hot days in the sun.

Beach is stunning and you can walk forever, swimming in ocean to the left side of the beach if fabulous too. Can't forget about the beach bar which always had people there, enjoying drinks and staring out at that beautiful!!

I have to say once again that our stay was incredible and all of the above made this possible for us. Finally, a HUGE thank you to Alberto in reservations. You Always take care of my requests and try your best to accommodate when you are able too. You went above and beyond this stay and John thanks you for the birthday greetings in the room. We can't thank you enough!

Both John and I and so greatful to you and the others for making your resort feel like "home away from home " to us. Muchas gracias amigos. we will see you all again soon.

Ps..I am a travel agent. I have the pleasure to stay many places and I keep chosing here. Every client I have booked here has loved the stay and been back again and again.

Lisa and John ( Shelley -Ansell)

7 Thank Hereigoagain2014
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Lisa and John,

We would like to thank you for your review published on Trip Advisor.It honors us to receive such a compliment and encourages us to continue exceeding our clients’ expectations.

The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from our guests is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service. We are so happy to hear that the efforts and dedication of our staff made such a positive impact on your vacation.

We are very happy to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel so do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have been to the Valentin once with my daughter and this was my 5th time with my husband. We stayed May 1-10 celebrating our 32nd anniversary. There were 3 small negatives and many positives. We will return, hopefully with another couple. We booked the standard suite. That is what we received in building 5 but, the person who checked us in told a small fib that we were being upgraded to an ocean and pool view room. I would have preferred that he stated the truth-that we had one of the nicer locations in building 5 with an ocean and pool view. For the first time in 6 visits, we had an uncomfortable bed. They are usually nicely firm. This bed had indentations in the mattress in the places where two people sharing a bed usually sleep. They had a little problem with algae in the main pool. When we went to the pool one morning we noticed that it wasn't as clear as usual. We did spend the day at the pool. We mentioned something to the concierge at lunchtime who said they were working on it. On the way to dinner at 6 we could tell it was worse. On the way back to the room around 8 we could tell that it had been shocked and the algae had fallen to the bottom. We made plans to shop in Playa the next day. The next morning there were 4 people vacuuming the pool. As a pool owner we know that they did exactly what they were supposed to do although we wonder how it got that way to begin with. The problem was that they didn't have time to vacuum it completely before people got in it and stirred it up. They repeated the process that evening with the shock(perhaps) and vacuumed in the morning and it was perfect. I am not going to repeat the positives that are stated in many other reviews but, I have to say that I think the employees are wonderful. As soon as Veronica saw me at the swim up bar, she smiled all over and asked if I was with my husband or my daughter. It had been a full year between visits. She also remembered my special drink. Arturo at Le Marche was also excited to see us. He asked how are daughter was doing. He helped us with our Spanish all week and he gave us a gift on our last day. I should mention that although we tip, we are not what would be called big tippers so, I know this is not why we were remembered. We are learning a new phrase in Spanish each week so, that we can surprise Arturo when we return next year!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear returning VIM Guests ,

We would like to thank you for your review and your loyalty for the Valentin Imperial Maya. It is always a pleasure to have you home.

It makes us extremely happy to know that you appreciated how the staff works hard to make this property the friendliest ever

On the other hand,we took good note of all your observations and suggestions regarding the mattress and Pool with the appropriate person and Department in order to improve our services. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Receive our warmest regards,
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Wow, this place rocks. If you were debating on booking this resort or not-just do it!

My sister and I stayed here for a whole week and never left the resort. Yes, there are more couples here, but we made friends and it was never a big deal.

Food: awesome! Breakfast was sooo good. They have a omelet station and a crepe station! We would stuff ourselves with breakfast and just drink our way through lunch, so it worked out pretty well ;-) you can't order food by the pool, so you have to go to a restaurant for lunch or visit the little buffet they bring out near the main pool. The dinners were fabulous! Loved the hibachi, sushi, Italian, and french! We were always so stuffed after dinner!

Drinks: very good! They have top shelf liquor if you ask, and if you don't, you'll just get whatever they were told to put in the drinks. We always just stuck to the standard and didn't ask for double because we wanted to actually enjoy the drinks and not get wasted! This way you can just keep them coming till dinner! The mango daiquiri, superman, pina colada, and margaritas were great pool side beverages. Most people had these thermos type cups that they got the bartenders to fill up. Looked like a good idea so you weren't constantly getting more drinks. Tip for coffee lovers: the Diablo served lots of coffee starting a 4.we would leave the pool around 5,swing by there, order a couple iced coffees and then head to the room to get ready! Yum!

Rooms: nice and spacious! No complaints about the room at all except I did find it odd that they didn't have a fan in the bathroom for all the shower steam. We stayed in building 4 which was perfectly positioned on the resort.

Pools: both the main pool and the lazy river were great. The main pool got a little more crowded and noisy, so we usually ventured off to the (partial) lazy river area. I say partial because you can't really float in a circle.... It's more like a semi circle and requires some navigation. Loved that area though! Quiet, lush, and waitress comes around all the time!

Beach: the beach was awesome!!!! We would go out there after breakfast and head to the pool area in the afternoon. The great thing about the beach is there are tons of huts for you to lay under, the sand is great, and there is a nice breeze that always keeps you cool! Perfect! Plus, you can come out there in the mornings or evenings and take a nice, long walk to either side.

Amenities/grounds: the only thing that isn't spectauabout this resort is the gym. It is ok, but mainly consists of treadmills, ellipticals, and resistance machines. They do have some free weights, but for some reason they are outside by the yoga/pilates area. The grounds though are fabulous! So beautiful just walking around looking at all the perfectly kept plants!

I think that covers it. This was a great resort! Don't hesitate on booking ;-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank NextVacay
Dear NextVacay,

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion regarding your vacations at Valentin Imperial Maya.

We also have carefully reviewed the information you mentioned above and regarding the gym. We make you aware that the information you have provided has been forwarded with our executive team.

We will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Receive our warmest regards,
Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had a marvelous time at this stunning tropical resort for 5 days in May. I did a fair amount of research before booking this property and the reviews of this resort are pretty accurate. Beautiful lush grounds, incredible pools, gracious workers, delicious food and a beach that is gorgeous. Trip Advisor was very helpful during my search and I would like to offer our perspective to future travelers.

Resort Property: A large lush tropical slice of paradise. We were in building 8 and never strolled longer than 8 minutes to get to any point of the property. There are short cuts through various buildings which are fun to figure out. It is beautifully lit at night time. We frequently felt as if we had this place all to ourselves which was delightful. Very peaceful and romantic. The buildings are beautiful. Open, spacious, elegant. Outdoor living at its finest.

Beach: Very long. Beautiful. Soft sand. Not crowded. Lots and lots of palapas. Swimming area large enough to accommodate a lot of people. The non swimmable areas of the beach were private and peaceful.

Pools: Stunning. Enormous. Fabulous. Always found a spot. Didn't play the towel game. Floats were fairly easy to come by in the large pool and always were available in the Golden pool. Did not swim in the Silver pool but did enjoy laying on their very comfortable beds one evening. Never felt crowded. Could be lively or sedate depending on where you floated to. Good service at the bars as well.

Rooms: We were in a Golden, 2nd floor. Not the open concept room, but nice and roomy.. Pretty with 2 soft double beds. Linens were average. Towels were large but rough on the skin. Balcony view was awesome. 2 uncomfortable chairs and a table. Towels on the seats will help the tush. Large bathroom, great shower and huge jacuzzi, filled up fairly quickly and was a treat.

Food: Typical buffets for breakfast and lunch. Enough variety to choose from. Alcoholic beverages available. Dinners in the restaurants were fabulous for us. 5 courses, exquisitely presented, serving size just right. Felt satisfied but not uncomfortably stuffed afterwards. The themed buffets were not great. Room service was delivered promptly. Food is always available somewhere.

Demographics: Mainly 30 -50 years young. Some honeymooners. Some more mature couples. Fun crowds, not out of hand. Perfect for couples looking to spend quality time together. Romantic atmosphere.

Bars: Loved the Martini bar, Gabriella made the best margaritas. At night it was more convenient to grab a drink or two at the Martini bar than the Plaza bar. The Plaza area at night was fun! Piano bar was so elegant. Sports bar felt familiar in that American way. The bartender in the Theater was fun and also made great margaritas. Did not go to the Cigar bar. Pool bars were busy and efficient. Beach bar with the swings had a great vibe. The small beach bar was intimate and delightful.

Staff: Gracious, courteous and helpful.

We highly recommend this resort. A stunningly beautiful tropical slice of paradise. Great for romance, pampering, and relaxation. A good value. We hope to return soon.

2 Thank M2920
Dear M2920,

Thank you for coming to the Valentin Imperial Maya. We fell so happy to read that you have enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya!

Warm regards from the VIM.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I'm writing from my bed at the valentine imperial and it's 2:12a.m. the reason? Blaring music. This property is hosting a conference or corporate event and since it began the place is not the same. Today the event group set up a giant area for activities unknown in thw middle of the small beach, obstructing the view and access to the water. When the speakers were rolled into the sand and wires run between our chairs we left the beach for the pool. Fast forward to tonight. We're back from the wedding that we came to attend and the other events music is so loud it's impossible to sleep. Called front desk and were told it would continue until three or four a.m. we demanded the volume be lowered and were told a manager would call us back. Fifteen minutes later no call. We called and were told they were looking into it. Twenty more mintues pass, volume only increased. We went to front desk and demanded a manager, who did nothing. We called again and they didnt answer. After another trip to the front desk, nothing. Later found out that another in our group had $65 stolen from his room by staff. You'd be a idiot to stay here.

• Stayed May 2014
26 Thank allsnsmth
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guests from Boston, Massachusetts

Thank you for your review alerting us to the problem you have been having with the Telcel event, we pride ourselves on responding to customers' concerns very quickly, so what you have experienced is inexcusable. Please accept our sincere apologies. We will make every effort to see that this never happens again.

We also do regret your dissatisfaction regarding your accusation in your room's friend. As we mentioned while they were still at the hotel and according to our security procedures, there was an investigation followed with no employees resulted involved; we found that each time the safe was opened in your friend's room, it was done with “Guest Code” .
Rest assured that we have continued working in strengthen the controls to make our guests feel confident and relaxed in our premises.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to serve you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#57 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,924 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,008 reviews
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#35 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,092 reviews

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!