My husband and I just returned from our trip to this resort. This is our second time visiting Mexico but first at the Valentin Imperial Maya Resort. While we had a very relaxing trip and thought this resort had a lot of positives, I probably would not go back. Valentin was not as upscale as the last resort we stayed at, which we knew as it was also very reasonable price-wise. I did not realize that it would be a lot more like a spring break atmosphere. There were a lot of friends that were down there together and not as many couple looking for a quiet getaway. Although it did not bother me, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a resort either, but that was not the resorts fault.
There were a number of positives:
1. The resort grounds were big and beautiful. The pool was amazing and we loved the two days we had at the pool. It did rain the last two days so we did not get to fully enjoy it as much as we would have liked.
2. The food was more consistently good than the last resort we stayed at. The food was not terrific but it was good overall. I did not like my seafood at the Mia y Terra restaurant though. I also did not like the lunch there. It was so hot and humid that the food smelled damp, which grossed me out a little.
3. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our AC was broken when we arrived and someone came right away and fixed it for us.
4. There were signs everywhere so although the resort was large, it was easy to find everything.
5. The beach was gorgeous! We are more pool people so we did not spend a lot of time there but it was fantastic.
There were also some negatives.
1. Our room was little worn. The curtains were almost grey from being old. The sheets were frayed and our pillow covers even had holes in the ends. The couch was stained and the furniture was scratched. Also the last day, I went to my husband's bedside table and there were little bugs all over it. Although I did not see any other bugs in our room, this totally skeeved me out.
2. There are no hooks to hang wet suits or towels in the bathroom. Literally not a single hook - only a little spot for hand towels and a bar by the toilet for handicapped people. There also was not enough hangers (maybe about 10 hangers for two people).
3. While there was an abundance of drinks. I wish each bar had special menus with interesting selections. Instead I settled for a lot of pina coladas and other typical fruity drinks, which were a touch too sweet. I also wish they used real glasses outside of the pool and beach bar and nicer plastic cups at the pool and beach bars. The glasses were older and looked dirty - though I don't think they were.
4. The indoor bars need updating. Pretty much everything needs updating except for the restaurants and the pool area. I wish they had more activities for rain days - though partially I was just not interested in the activities they had.
5. No conditioner in our hotel room. I usually bring shampoo and conditioner with me but I thought a resort of this quality would have better products so I left them home. I did not love the products that they use but I would have been ok with it except that there was no conditioner. Only, conditioning shampoo. I asked for some at the front desk and they directed me to the hotel store. The conditioner was very expensive but I purchased it anyways. A girl with thick curly hair like mine needs conditioner.
6. Housekeeping. While they did a nice job overall, every day we got different towels. One day we had no bath towels, two hand towels, and three washcloths. The next day, we had a bath mat, three bath towels, no hand towels and three washcloths. The third day, we had two bath towels, two hand towels, two washcloths. the last day we had two bath mats, one hand towel, two bath towels and three wash cloths. I thought it was very strange. I also thought it was weird that they continued to hang towels, bath mats, and even move my bathing suit to the bar by the toilet for handicapped guests. I thought that was gross. Lastly, I don;t think they use fabric softener on the sheets, towels, or robes because none of them were soft and they all smelled like disinfectant or bleach.
Overall, we did enjoy ourselves. I just wish there was a little bit more thought into some of the luxury touches that would have turned this resort from average to above-average! We do want to thank everyone for the service and wish the Valentin Imperial Maya luck in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelbag, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya