“Recent Trip”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from our trip to this resort. This is our second time visiting Mexico but first at the Valentin Imperial Maya Resort. While we had a very relaxing trip and thought this resort had a lot of positives, I probably would not go back. Valentin was not as upscale as the last resort we stayed at, which we knew as it was also very reasonable price-wise. I did not realize that it would be a lot more like a spring break atmosphere. There were a lot of friends that were down there together and not as many couple looking for a quiet getaway. Although it did not bother me, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a resort either, but that was not the resorts fault.

There were a number of positives:

1. The resort grounds were big and beautiful. The pool was amazing and we loved the two days we had at the pool. It did rain the last two days so we did not get to fully enjoy it as much as we would have liked.

2. The food was more consistently good than the last resort we stayed at. The food was not terrific but it was good overall. I did not like my seafood at the Mia y Terra restaurant though. I also did not like the lunch there. It was so hot and humid that the food smelled damp, which grossed me out a little.

3. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our AC was broken when we arrived and someone came right away and fixed it for us.

4. There were signs everywhere so although the resort was large, it was easy to find everything.

5. The beach was gorgeous! We are more pool people so we did not spend a lot of time there but it was fantastic.

There were also some negatives.

1. Our room was little worn. The curtains were almost grey from being old. The sheets were frayed and our pillow covers even had holes in the ends. The couch was stained and the furniture was scratched. Also the last day, I went to my husband's bedside table and there were little bugs all over it. Although I did not see any other bugs in our room, this totally skeeved me out.

2. There are no hooks to hang wet suits or towels in the bathroom. Literally not a single hook - only a little spot for hand towels and a bar by the toilet for handicapped people. There also was not enough hangers (maybe about 10 hangers for two people).

3. While there was an abundance of drinks. I wish each bar had special menus with interesting selections. Instead I settled for a lot of pina coladas and other typical fruity drinks, which were a touch too sweet. I also wish they used real glasses outside of the pool and beach bar and nicer plastic cups at the pool and beach bars. The glasses were older and looked dirty - though I don't think they were.

4. The indoor bars need updating. Pretty much everything needs updating except for the restaurants and the pool area. I wish they had more activities for rain days - though partially I was just not interested in the activities they had.

5. No conditioner in our hotel room. I usually bring shampoo and conditioner with me but I thought a resort of this quality would have better products so I left them home. I did not love the products that they use but I would have been ok with it except that there was no conditioner. Only, conditioning shampoo. I asked for some at the front desk and they directed me to the hotel store. The conditioner was very expensive but I purchased it anyways. A girl with thick curly hair like mine needs conditioner.

6. Housekeeping. While they did a nice job overall, every day we got different towels. One day we had no bath towels, two hand towels, and three washcloths. The next day, we had a bath mat, three bath towels, no hand towels and three washcloths. The third day, we had two bath towels, two hand towels, two washcloths. the last day we had two bath mats, one hand towel, two bath towels and three wash cloths. I thought it was very strange. I also thought it was weird that they continued to hang towels, bath mats, and even move my bathing suit to the bar by the toilet for handicapped guests. I thought that was gross. Lastly, I don;t think they use fabric softener on the sheets, towels, or robes because none of them were soft and they all smelled like disinfectant or bleach.

Overall, we did enjoy ourselves. I just wish there was a little bit more thought into some of the luxury touches that would have turned this resort from average to above-average! We do want to thank everyone for the service and wish the Valentin Imperial Maya luck in the future.

5  Thank Cfitzgerald0717
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear recent VIM Guests from Jersey City,

We would like to thank you for choosing our VIM for your vacation .

As service oriented company, your comments are very important for us, because thank to your notes we can learn and improve our service, your observations have been passed to the departments involved to verify our process.

We would like to mention your feedbacks are not a common situation and in no way represent our standards and the commitment we have with our guests.Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you .

We truly hope to have the opportunity to change your perception and make you live the real VIM Experience.

Best regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary at the Valentin. It was our first visit to this resort, but certainly will not be our last.
The staff at the Valentin are above and beyond. From the first bellboy to greet us, everyone was exceptionally friendly and went above and beyond to ensure our vacation was perfect. We originally booked a Golden suite, but upgraded to an Imperial Suite at check in. The room was absolutely amazing…foyer with half bath, living room with TV/entertainment system, mini fridge, huge bedroom with sitting area, double closets, walk in shower, enormous soaking tub for two, double sinks, three balconies. Our main balcony had our loungers and full size outdoor hot tub. We spent a lot of time out there…eating room service, drinking Corona, smoking cigars, etc. It was absolutely worth the extra money. We were in building 7 and loved the location. The quiet pool was relaxing, and one thing I want to note…this pool does not technically have a swim up bar, but the wonderful bartenders and wait staff will bring your drinks right over to the edge of the pool for you.
We were happy with all of the meals. Room service was very quick, and again always brought in with a smile and happy conversation. The bartenders everywhere were amazing…they recognized us and would have our drinks ready before we could even order. While we were waiting for the golf cart to go to our room we had a drink at the lobby bar. We chatted a bit with Ervin, the bartender, and got another drink to go. The next day at the beach, Ervin came over to us and not only remembered our names, but where we were from, etc. Thank you for the great service Ervin! All of the dinners were great, our favorites were Il Olivo and Ginger. We received exceptional service at all of the restaurants. We had a long wait on only one night, all the others we walked right in.
The beach and pools are beautiful. We could always find chairs, but shade was sometimes hard to come by. Probably the one and only thing I think could improve…more umbrellas/palpalas for shade. The swim up bars are great, and the bartenders there are great at what they do and so fun.
One of the highlights of our trip…our new friend Gilberto Rojas. Our first day we had lunch at Le Mar while we were waiting for our room. Gilberto took excellent care of us, giving us an introduction to the resort, ways around, etc. We went back to Le Mar every day, and he always had our table ready and waiting with drinks as soon as he saw us coming. One day he had brought a rose for me, that he made me take back to our room. Gilberto treated us like royalty, and we enjoyed talking with him about his family and his new wife. On our last day, he had the chef prepare a special lunch for us. A great, personal touch that was very much appreciated. We can’t wait to come back to see our friend again. Gilberto, if you read this, thank you so much for going above and beyond to make our vacation so special!
Usually when we are on vacation we are the “busy body” type…always off doing something, taking a ride into town, etc. We did not leave the property once this trip. It was our first time away from our daughter, and we were so relaxed and content that our time was up before we knew it.
Thank you to everyone at the Valentin for such a wonderful experience! We signed up for the loyalty program, an can’t wait to come back “home”!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jeninma

Dear recent VIM Guests from Boston, Massachusetts

It's a pleasure to know that you spend a beautiful vacation with us and mostly if was such an special ocassion as your Anniversary!

Regarding the shaded areas, we wish to reassure you that with our executive team ,we already planned get more palapas for a very near future .

Thank you very much for mention Ervin and Gilberto, they are very enthusiastic employees.

Valentin Imperial Maya is waiting for your return.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Last year we vacationed at the Valentin Imperial Maya for 14 days and were very excited this year to be able to return for another 12 day vacation. We stayed this year in early May from 5-4-2014 to 5-15-2014. However at the beginning of our holiday we had some issues that made our stay at the VIM less enjoyable than the previous year.
This year we had to wait for almost an hour to get checked in. While waiting, other couples that came in later than us were attended to first. When we finally got to speak to a hotel representative he made us accept a top floor room when we had requested a bottom floor room. He also refused to take our returning guest points into consideration.
The next difficulty was the service at the beach bar. For 3 days the bartenders refused to give my wife the premium spirits she asked for which are advertised by the resort. My wife and I are working class people and believe in getting what we pay for. So we went to the front desk and complained to the assistant manager. She assured us that she would take care of the problem. The next day they did have the liquor that was asked for but the bartender seemed offended because we had spoken to management. When we went to the bar for service we continually were overlooked. Finally we gave up and made the long walk to the smaller beach bar. There we got to know Miguel and Carlos. They always greeted us with warm smiles, engaged us in conversation, and made us fantastic tropical drinks.
We had been going to La Marche for breakfast and lunch but were unimpressed with the service that we received there. Then we found the Mar & Tierra. This was our oasis. Emanuel and his crew couldn’t be more pleasant. Each morning I would be greeted by Jasmine with her beautiful smile and get 2 coffees to take back to the room. Then my wife and I would be greeted by her again to be seated for breakfast and lunch. My wife had such a high regard for Jasmine that she wanted to take her home with us and adopt her. From then on we always had breakfast and lunch at the M & T. We always asked for Omar to be our server as he was so warm and kind to us. Additionally we also got to know Freddy, Angel, and Gilberto. Emanuel would always come around to check up on us. He even gave my wife a rose and made her a special breakfast for mother’s day. Every other restaurant at the VIM should take a lesson on hospitality from Emanuel. We truly felt like family with him and his staff.
At the beginning of our trip we felt like it was time to move on from the VIM because of their lack of attention to their guests and that there are so many other great resorts on the Riviera Maya. However after finding Emanuel and his crew we will be returning in August for 10 more days. Hopefully we will be able to secure a bottom floor room this time and receive the amenities advertised. Again Thank You Mar & Tierra staff for making our trip so fun and memorable.

Room Tip: Look for short cuts through the buildings.
3  Thank James M

Dear James from Filadelfia, Pensilvani

Thank you for your loyalty and for taking time out of your busy day to let us know about your 2 nd stay with us.

Our guests experience is important to us, and it is of deep regret to hear that your check-in experience with us was not of your full satisfaction. We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

Despite this issue , we are happy that you were able to put this behind you and enjoy all the great services and facilities we have to offer at the VIM, thanks the Mar y tierra making the most of your time as a family. All the Mar y tierra crew and especially emmanuel will be informed about your mention, we let them know how they helped to make your stay memorable.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resortfor your 3rd visit in the near future.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Kindest regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from May 24-31, we were celebrating our 1st anniversary. Rooms were very nice. Food and drinks amazimg! Staff was excellent! I have a complaint about the dress code for men, being on vacation one should be able to wear nice shorts to dinner if they choose. Some of the places to eat were really warm and my husband was so hot he couldn't eat. We stayed at a Secrets resort and there wasn't as strict of a dress code, men could wear shorts as long as they were not beach like shorts. For anyone going here make sure u pay attention to dress code because they will turn u away. Also wish there was more evening activities besides the sports bar, maybe a night club would have been nice. Also the beach is very rocky unless u go over to the left. Overall nice resort.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Candice ,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your recent vacation and for such a special occasion as your 1st Anniversary was.

On the other hand we are sorry to know that the dress code provided was not the adequate to complete your requirements. We have implemented a dress code to create an elegant ambience in most of our restaurants. We have air condition units in our restaurants so that our guests are comfortable when wearing formal attire. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused during your stay.

Despite the issue you mentioned , we are pleased to learn that your stay at Valentin Imperial Maya met most of your expectations and hope to be able to host you many more times in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Travelled for our 7yr anniversary to this hotel, first timers. We read a lot on trip advisor before even selecting this hotel. We travel 1-2x a year, and weve been around the carribean.
VIM far surpassed all our expectations.
We upgraded to the emerald suite. Super nice, very romantic. Especially when the tub is full lol ;) well worth the upgrade for us, as we like to spend a lot of "couple time" in our room.
Every.single.thing.we.ate was DELICIOUS. We are fans of fine dining here, but wow. Very very impressed. Everything was delicious, from the "casual" mar and tierra, to the french where we had VIP service on account of a certain attire problem which was rectified 100%, to the 4am room service. all free by the way!! well, you should tip right.... everything was delicious. no word of a lie, between the food, and non stop drinks, i gained 5lbs in 5days.
drinks were great. if you want something, ask for it, they will make it. oh and theres no cheapy plastic little cups here. very nice glasses. dont even bother bringing your thermal mug.
we thought before going that there would be more of an older population, were surprised to see a lot of younger couples. we didnt mind as a couple in our early 30s it was nice to make some friends.
staff all went above and beyond to make you happy. in every way.
beach was beautiful white super soft sand, like varadero. but water was rough. strong swimmers only. every day was a red flag day except bw the sandbar which was yellow, but still rough. we went in twice to feed the fish - a must do if you like that kinda stuff. so nice to see them all come out for bananas :)
spent most of our time in the pool. HUGE pool. we stayed mostly on the quiet side. was clean most days, but one day it got grubby and my hubby made a comment casually to a staff member. half hr later the manager was there taking a report and the next day they did a pro job cleaning up the pool. impressive.
only did one excursion.... as it was our anniversary and we have 2 babies at home and havent had free time to ourselves in 4yrs.... not even one night! we both are advid snorkellers, so we decided to do xel-ha. yeah, it was fun. but the reef is dead. we estimated that there were about 1000 people through the doors each day. yeah, that is to be expected i guess. we had fun though and walked an easy 10km through the park that day. very sad to see the manatees and dolphins. sorry people..... we dont support that. was very sad to see a dolphin trying to escape as we were leaving.... in fact, we wont return to xel ha just bc its a dead bay and wont support the exploitation any more. we enjoyed that VIM supported the reporduction of sea turtles. impressive considering many caribbean neighbours eat turtles regularily as delicasy.
the grounds of VIM are gorgeous. there is a golf cart service, but we only used it a few times. walk people!!!
cant say enough good thigns about this hotel. we will definately be going back. really made an impression on us.
definately a 5 star hotel, 5 star service, 5 star food.

Room Tip: stayed in 14 block. perfect location!!!!
3  Thank anna_roldan

Dear Anna from Toronto, Canadá

It's a pleasure to know that you spend a beautiful vacation with us and mostly if was such an special ocassion as your 7 year Anniversary! congratulations!

Your comments made us so happy and so proud to work in this little piece of Paradise.

Valentin Imperial Maya is waiting for your return.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This resort is amazing! Just returned on 6/1. The grounds are beautiful and lush and immaculately manicured daily. Clean and the most kind employees. My favorite part of this resort is the beach! Beautiful white sand and clear water and you could see friendly fish just a few feet into it! Barely any seaweed on the beach and such nice soft sand to walk on into the ocean. Have been to Punta Cana, Costa Rica,Jamaica,Bahamas and this beach is on par with Negril,Jamaica in my view. Never have to wait to get into a restaurant; so nice not to have to make reservations except for the Hibachi. The food is good; our favorite was the French restaurant then the Hibachi and Steak and Sea Food. The morning and lunch buffets were great and the desserts where do I begin?!!!!!!!! AMAZING! 24hr. room service too that was really good and timely. The pool was huge and so nice to have rafts to float on. Yes we did the towel thing early 630-7AM to get a spot on the beach. Great drinks and I am a fan of Grey Goose which you only had to ask for. Enjoyed the tequila tasting event. Unfortunately we only had 1 day of rain out of 7 but it was the night of the fire show that we were so looking forward to and they moved it inside with neon lights just not the same. Michael Jackson show and Caribbean show nice. Lots of walkways to everything. We did one excursion on a boat ride; but really no need to do anything they have activities all day or not do anything all day!!!!!!!! We stayed in a Silver Suite building 2 and really liked this location close to everything beach (find the short cut) restaurants,pool and main plaza. Room did have a musty smell took some stick ups but really did not help. I would definitely return to this resort; we had 9 in our party ages 55-62; we all enjoyed this resort!

Room Tip: Building 2 Silver Suite was nice; tried for 3rd floor because of noise situation we had read about...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear mriamy,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and are happy you had a great vacation at VIM.

We truly appreciate your comments since this help us to improve our service levels and product. We hope that despite of this situation they afford us the opportunity to serve them again at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

Warm regards from the VIM,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

So here we went again visit number six to the Valentin Imperial Maya. If you read our 2013 fall review “Consistent Excellence” of the Valentin you will get an idea of why we are consistently returning to this same resort. Therefore I will only focus here on the observations we made during our recent visit.
In early May during our visit the Valentin was fully occupied, I only know this because I ask. The restaurants, bars, pool, beach, and other amenities appeared to be designed for 100% occupancy. The fact that the Valentin was full had no negative impact on our visit and on a positive note provided additional folks to meet.
Pool music has been improved to a more multinational mix. The GO entertainment staff has enhanced its performances and continues to get willing guest involved in the many sports and games. The landscaping has always been impressive however the wife and I both thought that the landscaping was exceptional over all of the property.
The Valentin’s cuisine has always been very good; the consensus of our group is that the dining experience in general was exceptional on this visit. Wireless is now in every room, I guess this is good for some folks but I don’t go to the Valentin to get connected, I am mostly looking to disconnect for a relaxing fun filled vacation.
So bottom line all that we like about the Valentin stayed the same or was improved. Looks like number seven will be later this summer see you there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rob W
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Rob ,

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your 6th visit at our VIM.

It brings us great pleasure to read reviews such as yours. We truly appreciate the feedback of your experiences and we are very happy to hear that we were able to surpass all expectations once again .

We look forward in welcoming you back for your 7th visit this summer .

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any requests you may have.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Wishing you all the best,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!