This is The Wife writing here...we went to the Valentin for our first all-inclusive trip a while back. I was so upset and horrified about my experience I couldn't find it in me to talk about it and just wanted to forget about it really. But we have been vacationing at other resorts in Mexico and I feel like my story deserves to be told!
I know this type of "event" probably/hopefully never happens. I would like to think this was a freak event. My husband and I arrived the first night and were overwhelmed with the wonderful welcoming - we are treated like royalty with champagne upon arrival and then driven to our room. The architecture is breathtaking, lush green landscape everywhere you look. At the time, we were boyfriend/girlfriend and I immediately started planning our destination wedding in the floating chapel! This place was paradise right off the bat. That evening (first night still), we got changed for the night and left our room for dinner and to shop in the common area where all the outside vendors had set up. So it begins...
When we got back to the room, we had turndown service etc. But we couldn't get into our safe (the kind where you put your own 4 digit code in). We tried 3 times, figured it was the booze and we would deal with it in the morning. The next morning, security arrived to help us and used a machine to open the safe. We thanked him, tipped him and he was on his way. THEN, after further inventory, all of our money had been taken from our wallets. None of my Tiffany jewelry or the Tag watches, only the cash - several hundred worth.
I immediately called the manager, Nicole was her name. She was absolutely less than helpful, said she would "be right there" and I literally had to call back 30 minutes later. Apparently this was not a priority. To make a long story short: again security came with a machine that can test the magnetic device on your door and it will show you who used what key to enter the room. She tells me, "no one has been in your room but you". Well! Isn't that amazing! How did we get turndown service?? Is that standard for a first night's visit?? I think not. At this time smoke is fuming out of my ears. I mean I was screaming livid. So she's pretty much calling us liars. Basically said no one entered our room. Obviously, this was an inside job and someone knew what they were doing - using machines to erase the entries to our room and to enter our safe in the first place. We really got the feeling that we were on our own in Mexico, they know we're not going to leave, what were we going to do? Nothing. But at least now I can write this review as they deserve. Oh! And to make matters worse?? Nicole showed NO effort to compensate us for our misfortune. No spa credits, no champagne delivered to the room....nothing. I even had to make ANOTHER special trip to HER to follow up on the "investigation".
That being said, the rest of the trip was severely dampered. I was so upset at the way they handled (or rather, DIDN'T handle) our situation that it was difficult to enjoy the rest of the week. Of course, we canceled all room service from there on out.
Tried to enjoy the views, which are amazing, but that experience...is one I will never get over. I sincerely hope that they have revamped the staff or identified this "problem". We have too many options as to where we wish to spend our vacation money for a resort like this to flourish.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya