“Safe robbed - inside job for sure”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Safe robbed - inside job for sure”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is The Wife writing here...we went to the Valentin for our first all-inclusive trip a while back. I was so upset and horrified about my experience I couldn't find it in me to talk about it and just wanted to forget about it really. But we have been vacationing at other resorts in Mexico and I feel like my story deserves to be told!

I know this type of "event" probably/hopefully never happens. I would like to think this was a freak event. My husband and I arrived the first night and were overwhelmed with the wonderful welcoming - we are treated like royalty with champagne upon arrival and then driven to our room. The architecture is breathtaking, lush green landscape everywhere you look. At the time, we were boyfriend/girlfriend and I immediately started planning our destination wedding in the floating chapel! This place was paradise right off the bat. That evening (first night still), we got changed for the night and left our room for dinner and to shop in the common area where all the outside vendors had set up. So it begins...

When we got back to the room, we had turndown service etc. But we couldn't get into our safe (the kind where you put your own 4 digit code in). We tried 3 times, figured it was the booze and we would deal with it in the morning. The next morning, security arrived to help us and used a machine to open the safe. We thanked him, tipped him and he was on his way. THEN, after further inventory, all of our money had been taken from our wallets. None of my Tiffany jewelry or the Tag watches, only the cash - several hundred worth.

I immediately called the manager, Nicole was her name. She was absolutely less than helpful, said she would "be right there" and I literally had to call back 30 minutes later. Apparently this was not a priority. To make a long story short: again security came with a machine that can test the magnetic device on your door and it will show you who used what key to enter the room. She tells me, "no one has been in your room but you". Well! Isn't that amazing! How did we get turndown service?? Is that standard for a first night's visit?? I think not. At this time smoke is fuming out of my ears. I mean I was screaming livid. So she's pretty much calling us liars. Basically said no one entered our room. Obviously, this was an inside job and someone knew what they were doing - using machines to erase the entries to our room and to enter our safe in the first place. We really got the feeling that we were on our own in Mexico, they know we're not going to leave, what were we going to do? Nothing. But at least now I can write this review as they deserve. Oh! And to make matters worse?? Nicole showed NO effort to compensate us for our misfortune. No spa credits, no champagne delivered to the room....nothing. I even had to make ANOTHER special trip to HER to follow up on the "investigation".

That being said, the rest of the trip was severely dampered. I was so upset at the way they handled (or rather, DIDN'T handle) our situation that it was difficult to enjoy the rest of the week. Of course, we canceled all room service from there on out.

Tried to enjoy the views, which are amazing, but that experience...is one I will never get over. I sincerely hope that they have revamped the staff or identified this "problem". We have too many options as to where we wish to spend our vacation money for a resort like this to flourish.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
24 Thank Frank G
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear frank from Colorado Springs

We are concerned to learn that your experience IN NOVEMBER 2013 at Valentin did not fully meet your expectations .

We are very sorry but also more than surprised to realize that you never tried to contact us regarding the issue and you waited more than 6 months to post your review ?.

We would also like to confirm you that we do not have and never had any manager called Nicole in our resort .

Finally when a report of a theft / missing belongings is received, a detailed investigation is completed by Management and the Security Manager. As a procedure the Hotel needs between 24 and 72 hours to follow up on the report filled by the guest in order to interview all staff involved.

For all these reasons, we hope you will understand that we do believe the incident you described has never happened in our resort in November 2013 .Once again, we are truly sorry you felt you had to write such negative untrue things about our hotel, but we do not give discounts or compensation to unfounded complaints.

We would like to clarify to the TA community that the Safety and wellbeing of our Guests is our highest priority. The hotel takes all measures to ensure that our guests, and their belongings, are well taken care of, providing a superior vacation experience.

Good luck in your future travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,554)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was my first time to the Valentin, and I am definitely going to return to this resort. It had everything I was looking for in a resort - gorgeous beach, delicious food/drinks, friendly and attentive staff, incredible entertainment without being wild and crazy. The main pool is surprisingly where I spent most of my time. It's HUGE, with enough space for everyone and lots of entertaining things to do. The entire resort is very large but there are plenty of shuttles available whenever you need them. There was never a wait for a shuttle either.

What I loved most about the resort, aside from the beautiful scenery, was the staff. I've been to many all-inclusive resorts, and the staff at the Valentin is so special. They knew my name from day one, and were all so friendly and ready to please you but in a very genuine way. The bartenders were so much fun, and the drinks hit the spot. Angel always put a smile on my face with his bar tricks and welcoming smile. Abel was one of my favorite servers at the restaurant by the beach where we had lunch every day. He was such a sweetheart.

The entertainment staff was the best, especially Jesse and Hilario. Hilario made my trip extra special with all of the events he hosted during our stay and he was by far the most attentive, fun and kindest staff member out of everyone I met at the resort. You could tell that he genuinely loves his job and his happy, positive attitude all day made us feel like we were at a home away from home.

From morning until night, the entertainment staff had different events to make my vacation extra enjoyable such as guacamole making and cocktail lessons, water aerobics, bingo, surf board balancing, pool volley ball, the history of tequila, the list is endless... In the evenings, the entertainment staff was always ready to dance, which I loved. I traveled with my aunt, cousin, and mother, so I was always looking for a dance partner in the evening and the entertainment staff never let me down! The shows in the evening were incredible from live music every night to performances in the theatre.

I can't say one negative comment about the resort. We absolutely loved our stay and I'll be counting the days until I return next year!

Room Tip: We had a swim up room which was gorgeous, quiet, and a short distance from the main pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lizzybeth84
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Lissybeth from Allentown, Pensilvania

We are much honored to know that you enjoyed the Valentin Imperial Maya, our facilities, the grounds, the entertainment, our culinary experience, the activities and the service, all those details are part of our brand and the compromise that we have to offer to our guests. Our goal is your relaxation and made of your stay a perfect and unique experience.

Angel, abel , Jesse and Hilario will be informed about your mention, we let them know how they helped to make your stay memorable.

Again thank you very much, and will be a truly honored to host you again here in your house VIM.

Warm regards,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We arrived at the Valentin on Saturday on a FunJet vacation. We ended up waiting for about 25 minutes for the Lomas Travel transfer to the property (certainly not blaming the resort for that). It took a bit to check in and we asked about upgrades versus the Junior Suite we were scheduled for. We upgraded to an oceanfront Emerald Room. The upgrade cost was reasonable. The beach view was Ok. We were told this was the best room on the property. We inquired about booking a cabana at poolside and we're told these were $100 a day unless you were part of the "privilege package." The next day we met with the concierge and learned about another upgrade to building 7 which gives you perks like premium liquor in the room, fresh flowers each day, newspaper, advanced/priority dinner reservation and lobster at dinner as part of the privilege package. The daily cost of the upgrade was less than the cost of the cabana rentals. After two days of rain we finally had nice days Tuesday and Wednesday.

Main issues we faced were as follows; 1, The Bed. Extremely uncomfortable. Neither of us slept well at all and we don't have back issues. Being our 5th time to Cancun, these were the worst beds we ever stayed in. 2, Premium Liquor. We ordered Grey Goose, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels and Don Julio. They said they couldn't find any Crown but would look. We found plenty in the bar. They were also out if Jack Daniels. Again, plenty in the bar. We are not people that need liquor in the room but if we were there with a group, I would be upset. The Crown and Jack finally arrived the last two days. 3, The Room. There was a spa tub outside which we wanted to use. The heater didn't work so we called the front desk for service. It never was fixed the entire time. 4, Communication. I understand there is a language barrier and I'm in Mexico so maybe my Spanish should be better. There were just a few times that I felt what we asked for didn't translate. Again, we have done five of theses trips and this was the most challenging.

I will say everyone is very nice. Pool service was pretty good but not great. No food service at the pool which was a drawback. The restaurants were good with very good service. The birds at breakfast and lunch are a bit annoying as they swoop in on empty plates as soon as someone gets up. This is at both of the buffets and it a bit gross but I'm sure it's because so many people throw them food and they are just used to it (It was actually funny to watch the husband swinging napkins to keep the birds away while their wives go get food and then when the husbands go get food the wives are feeding the birds at the table).

The beach is okay but not very large. It was quite windy so we only went down there once. They have a relaxing beach bar and we met some folks that come every year to just hang at the beach bar. Again, we met some great people and had a nice time. We don't mind paying for the upgrades but when we do, we do expect things to be really nice.

Again, very nice people. I would rank it a 7 on a scale of 1-10. I hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Be sure to check the beds when you check in. Make sure they are comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Wisdom2010swb
Dear recent VIM Guests from Chicago, Illinois

Although is pleasant to know that you met some great people and had a nice time, we are really sorry due we did not satisfy your expectations with some of our services .

We have carefully considered each and every comment mentioned regarding the mattress, the Premium Liquor , the rooms and the communication, your comments have been brought to the attention of the involved managers . We can assure you that we are going to take action where necessary.

We really appreciate your comments and we hope you can give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Best regards,
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Overall the hotel was an average experience. If I were to go back to Mexico I would most likely try another resort. The staff and atmosphere was very welcoming and relaxing. However, I am very displeased with the food and beverage aspects. We arrived on Tuesday and by Wednesday morning we were having a severe case of travelers diarrhea which was more than likely exposure to the contaminated food and drinks. Unfortunately this left no time to enjoy any pleasure in eating or drinking anything for the rest of our stay. The fever, chills, vomiting and diarrhea left us mostly confined to the room and did not allow for any excursions which we would have liked to do. The room was also very loud and disruptive from the guests above!! There is nothing more aggravating than listening to footsteps and things dropping and moving around for hours. My final advice is....If anyone ever tells you it's ok to drink the water or eat the food in this resort they are wrong!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Jms131
Dear Guests from Playa del Carmen, México ???

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your last stay.

We are happy to know that the staff and atmosphere was very welcoming and relaxing.

On the other hand regarding your comments about contracting stomach problems during your time here with us, we would like to confirm that we have no record of any other guests reporting any such medical issues during the dates that you were here with us.

We finally would like to mention we are sorry you felt you had to write such negative review about our hotel ; It is of common knowledge that Trip Advisor is a server offering free access to whomever in the world is connected to internet; anyone can freely express their opinions, which can sometime cause prejudice to the image of an established company.

Once again, we are truly sorry for not having exceeded your expectations .

Regards,
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was a experience what we will never forget . Every day dine in a chef restaurant . Perfect vacation . Very big parc , not overcrowded . Nice big pools . Great excursions to do and all of it taken care of at the hotel .

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tyzonno
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Tyzonno,

We are pleased to learn that your stay at Valentin Imperial Maya met your expectations!

The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from our guests is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon at Valentin Imperial Maya

Receive our warmest regards,
Highland, Michigan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Valentin far exceeded our expectations for our vacation! We took our family to Mexico to celebrate our last child graduating from college, and we could not have been more satisfied. From the moment we boarded the shuttle (with Lomas Travel - also an outstanding group!) until we left 5 days later, we felt pampered and were treated like royalty. The staff was absolutely INCREDIBLE, friendly, attentive and efficient. The resort was gorgeous with lots of activities from which to choose. We highly recommend the Valentin to anyone wanting a fun and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Becky G
Dear Becky G,

We are grateful for your positive review published on Trip Advisor, It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and we are glad to know that we exceeded your expectations during your recent stay at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Thank you for recommending Valentin Imperial Maya. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Kind regards.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I just recently visited The Valentin Imperial Maya and it was our first trip to an "all Inclusive resort" It was exceptional. They treated us like royality. The food was amazing. The shows that we saw were great. I will definitely plan to go back!

Room Tip: Our room was great, but the trees kinda obstructed our view. Still it was good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim H
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Kim from Anderson, Carolina del Sur ,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to write a such detailed review and we are definitely also grateful for choosing the Valentin for your 1 st All inclusive vacations. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our food , shows and the friendliness of our staff.

Thank you for recommending our property and for considering our resort on a return visit to Mexico, please feel free to contact us. So we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Receive our warmest regards from the VIM team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!