“Memorable and special stay!”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Washington DC
“Memorable and special stay!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have traveled to Cancun over a dozen times and have stayed at seven different resorts throughout the area. We recently returned from our first visit to Valentin Imperial Maya (June 5-10), and we give the resort and our experience very high marks. We were a group of eight. We arrived at the resort in the late afternoon. The check-in procedure was quick and easy, and we were in our respective rooms in no time. Also, our room requests (room location, bed size) were honored without any problem.

Checklist:
Resort grounds – The resort is on the larger size. The grounds are well-manicured and full of lush vegetation and beautiful flowering plants. There are nice, wide walkways. Signage is good, and it is relatively easy to get around. You will share the area with interesting wildlife. Keep an eye out for some beautiful birds.

Rooms – Members in our party stayed in the Deluxe Junior Suite, the Golden Swim-up Suite and the Golden Junior Suite. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We found some minor things that had been overlooked. For example, one room was missing an iron, one room was missing robes and another room had a loose toilet seat. All these matters were easily rectified with a call to the very wonderful “One Touch Service”. However, it takes away from the experience ever so slightly when there are cracks in the attention to detail. The swim-up suite became our “HQ” and was the perfect space for gathering. The lazy river area outside the swim-up suite was beautiful, cozy and even peaceful at times (depending on the time of day and the number of other guests who were out and about).

Restaurants and Room Service – The breakfast and lunch buffets met our high expectations, and we never went away unsatisfied. We had room service at “HQ” on a couple of days for lunch. The room service menu offers a nice variety, and the food is delicious. The wait time for our order was very reasonable. We had dinner at Mar y Tierra, Ginger and Il Olivo. Wonderful food and nice ambiance all around. Manuel at Mar y Tierra was awesome and fun. He is a pro at making everyone feel welcome, special and appreciated. And there was Gilberto at breakfast and lunch. What a super nice person! He remembered our names and drink preferences from one day to the next. How does he do it? It is next to magical. Mostly, I can’t thank Gilberto enough for all he did to create a very memorable moment for my parents who were celebrating their 53rd wedding anniversary. My parents felt so honored, and it was just one of those kinds of experiences that our family will never forget. Gilberto deserves a crown.

Beach and Pools – The main pool buzzed daily with lots of folks and activity. The setting is very nice. We found that chairs can be in short supply. We participated in Aqua Zumba on a couple of days and loved it. Towel service is easy, and you don’t feel like you are getting the third degree when you ask for one. The beach is beautiful. There is an area that is perfect for swimming if you like nice and consistent wave action. Oh, and the fish that swim along with you make for a novel experience. I wondered if there might be a different way for the resort to work the beach lounge chairs, shelters and beach beds, but in the end we managed ok with the way things are. The bars at the beach and the pool are convenient, and service is great.

Housekeeping and Mini Bar – The mini fridge and in-room coffee service were stocked daily. Housekeeping employees seem to always be working, and they work hard. One teeny bother was that there were not enough fresh hand towels and washcloths left on a daily basis.

Daily News Bulletin – Every evening the resort provides a bulletin that is chock full of very helpful information on restaurant schedules, events and activities for the following day. There is a section that recognizes returning guests and special events. Nice touch!

Special Mention – Concierge Michael is kind, understanding and patient. He assisted me with a situation, and I can only hope he knows how I am at once truly apologetic and extremely grateful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MOWashingtonDC
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear recent VIM Guests from Washington DC

Thank you for your in depth review, I found your feedback very interesting and have learnt a lot from your experiences..

Be also sure that your comments about the rooms will be shared with our housekeeping staff and manager in order to take the corrective measures and avoid situations, such as you described, in the future.

We are happy and enthusiastic we met most of your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day.

Thanks again and all the best!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,467)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Van Buren, Arkansas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband I just returned from a 7 night stay(Emerald Suite) at the Valentin Maya Imperial. This is our 2nd time to visit this resort and we absolutely love it! The weather didn't cooperate much last year but this time it was absolutely gorgeous! We did try the new restaurant "The Corner" and were treated like royalty by Jesus & Oscar. Also, Gilberto spoiled us at Mar & Tierra, along with Luis at Le Marche. It seemed as if there were a lot more entertainment this year, a young lady took us for a bike tour of the resort and we really enjoyed that! We had a perfect week and plan to return again next year! We have been bragging to everyone about VIM! :)

5 Thank Christi M
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Christi from Van Buren, Arkansas

In the name of all VIM receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our Hotel.

Receiving words like yours, it is always the best inspiration for our work. Please let us know when you will be back for your third visit so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable.

Thank you also very much for mention Jesus , Oscar , Gilberto and Luis they are very enthusiastic employees.

Valentin is waiting for your return.

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This review is a bit delayed (thought I had posted it earlier, but apparently not!)

The VIM is an amazing resort and we will no doubt return for another visit in the future. The staff is still outstanding! Loved that they have in-room WiFi now and are working to address the pool politics of floaties and chairs.

Just a few minor concerns...

Housekeeping service was inconsistent. Time of service varied daily and some linens were not always replenished (bathmats, facecloths, slippers, etc.). Communication with staff could be somewhat challenging as we don't speak Spanish.

Furniture in rooms and restaurants is beginning to wear out - we noticed a few broken table legs and chair arms, stained and sagging seat cushions, et cetera.

This was our second visit to Valentin and we continue to be impressed. The hotel grounds, pools and beach are exceptional; all the staff is warm and friendly; the variety and quality of the restaurants is excellent. We have recommended the resort highly to friends and colleagues.

We did not, however, get the same "important and pampered" feeling that we had the first time we visited, even though we had booked at Golden level (first visit was Deluxe). At check-in, the staff member was unaware that we had a Valentin Family loyalty card and did not have us listed as returning guests. Although we had been upgraded to a swim-up room, our special request for a higher floor and king bed was not available until two days into our stay, even though the request had been made four months in advance. We were offered a further upgrade to Emerald or Diamond for 50% off, but we declined.

On the plus side... we were impressed that all the restaurant staff took the time to note our names and greet us personally, and that every staff member including gardeners and painters greeted us warmly every day. The "One-Touch Service" was terrific, and we really appreciated the follow-up calls to ensure that we were satisfied.

Overall, we are still extremely pleased with the quality and service we received and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grizzled
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Grizzled,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our services, it is thanks to communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to target areas of concern and take necessary measures.

We are also very happy to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel , so please let us know when you will be back so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable.

Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from the VIM.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband reserved an Emerald suite at the Valentin Imperial to celebrate our first anniversary. He did a tremendous amount of research on the different resorts hoping to find that special one. We were not disappointed. We loved the resort and the service was impeccable. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, drinks and food. We looked forward to seeing the coati and even the large iguanas. The only negative was the Mosquitos at night. The resort should seriously consider using citronella candles in the main areas or spraying. They were that bad. All in all the resort was everything we hoped it would be. We plan to return.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank GS-Russell
Dear recent VIM guest ,

First of all congratulations and thank you very much for staying in the Valentin Imperial Maya for this unforgettable occasion and taking the time to write your positive impressions; we are sure this has helped many travelers confirm that the VIM Resort is the perfect hotel for their wedding anniversary.

Regarding the mosquitos, we would like to confirm that as many hotels in this area ,our resort is surrounded by natural tropical rainforest and during the raining season you might find more insects as we are in their natural habitat. Insects are a bad thing under any circumstance and in our business we can’t afford to be casual or careless about this and we take it very seriously. Our deepest apologies to you for this experience; we will continue to do everything in our power to stay ‘insect’ free.

We look forward to welcome you back for your 2 nd visit at the valentin imperial maya resort.

Best regards,
Kansas City, Missouri

My wife and I stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya from 6 June - 14 June and

had an absolutely spectacular, relaxing vacation.

Let's start with arrival. Travel day is seldom enjoyable, usually long and

tedious, upon arrival you are greeted warmly with a cooling cloth and beverage and

offered the main lobby to wait for check in (if you are early arrival ie. before

3pm), While it is very nice, we were starving and chose to go eat. Check-in was

quick and painless, upgraded to Emerald in building 14 ( I would say PERFECT

location ) right next to the Mar and Tierra restaurant, backs up to the beach ( no

view but nice ocean sound and breeze) and close to the main pool.

My thoughts on the food...The buffets were solid, good food, wide selection,

would appear to be something there for just about everyone. The dinners that we had

were great at L'Alsace (French), Ginger (Japanese) and La Hacianda (Mexican), we

didn't eat at the others due to excursions and the fact that, much to my suprise,

the room service food was really good! Don't be afraid to order, great food!! It

truly does take 45 minutes or so to get there so keep that in mind.

My thoughs on the pools...Very large and clear and warm enough to be

comfortable. The resort has 540 rooms and we were at capacity (Over 1000 people) and

still the pool was not overcrowded. Service may have been a touch slow at the pool

bars in the peak of the day but not terribly so. We were always able to find room

around the pool to sit although they could spring for a few more pool floats as

those ran thin a few days.

My thoughts on the beach... absolutely stunning, great care is taken to

maintain the beach, we saw people raking it daily. They do have a roped off,

lifeguarded swimming area as the ocean is a little rough in this area. We did spend

one day at the beach just laying in the shade of a palapa enjoying the ocean breeze.

I would say there are plenty of Palapas to go around in the main beach area,

however, if there is not one there, just a short walk down the beach ( in front of

the Emerald rooms ) is a small section of beach ( not swimmable due to rocks and

coral ) that is never crowded and even has its own little bar and server. If you are

looking to lay out and not really swim ( you could get in a bit and get wet ) this

area would be perfect!

My thoughts on the service...OK, I saved the best for last, the service we

received this week was far and above anything that I have ever experienced, from the

friendly "Hola" greeting everywhere we went to the "invisible" housekeeper that kept

the room perfect. Personal shout outs to Angelica - fantastic housekeeper and

Elionahi - the super friendly beach bartender that let me practice my terrible

Spanish on him!!

Overall, this place is fantastic, I can't even begin to describe how beautiful

the grounds are, and how well maintained.I'll leave you with a few tips that the

wife and I thought about during our stay

1)If you are considering a massage on the beach, do it on your first

day...First, it's a good way to relax after a long travel day and get in the mood

for vacation, and second, especially important if you have a complextion like mine,

get the massage BEFORE you get the sunburn!!

2) If you have new shoes BREAK THEM IN BEFORE GOING, there is what some would

consider a lot of walking at the VIM, guys, I brought beach sandals, water shoes and

"boat" shoes and I think I nailed it.

3) Ladies, my wife said, the shampoo was good and body wash was nicely scented,

next trip she would not pack any.

4) Make time for a drink at the beach bar in the evening with the moon over the

ocean...perfect setting

5) RELAX, smile and take in the little things, you are on vacation after all!

9 Thank Scott M
Dear Scott M.,

Thank you for coming to the Valentin Imperial Maya. We fell so happy to read that you have enjoyed yourselves.

The fact that we continue to receive positive reviews from our guests is proof of our commitment to consistent and quality service. Your recommendation of our property is also encouraging our Management and staff who ensure that your vacation is relaxing.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Kindest regards.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife have enjoyed our stay here at the valentin imperial the first thing I noticed was how clean the grounds are. The service was great all the staff were freindly and very helpful. The pool and the beach were fantastic the pool area geta really hot because there is no breeze but the beach is a nice change if you want to cool down and get under some shade. The one downside to the hotel was the restaurants althogh the food was good, there was only one place you could eat at for dinner with shorts on. I could see if you were wearing swim shorts or athletic shorts but having a nice pair of dress shorts and a collard shirt seems like acceptable atire. For men you have to wear long pants and close toed shoes. Jt being over 30 degrees celcius at night this is rather uncomfortable when you have a 10 min walk to dinner. I also found it odd that woman were allowed to wear short dresses amd shorts but the men were not. This is really the only nad thing I have to say about the valentin. I would also like to point out that sergio from the dive centre was awesome he was very helpful in booking our excursion. And he remembered my name for the rest of our stay and said hello with a smile everytime I saw him.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank tin_mam1988
Dear recent VIM guest from Hamilton, Canadá ,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers your review.

We are sure this will help many travelers to realise that the VIM Resort is the perfect hotel for their vacation,we are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort.

On the other hand we are sorry to know that the dress code provided was not the adequate to complete your requirements. We have implemented a dress code to create an elegant ambience in most of our restaurants. We have air condition units in our restaurants so that our guests are comfortable when wearing formal attire.

We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments which help us find out about their preferences.

Best regards
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Recently returned from an unforgettable vacation with my girlfriend. I am going to keep this short and sweet so you don't lose sight of what's important because of my personal reflections.

We stayed in a junior-deluxe suite. The first room we were offered was on the first floor. We decided to change rooms to the second floor in another building to get better air flow. Some of the buildings are surrounded by trees, so a room on the first floor can become humid- something to keep in mind.

The second room we moved into- which I believe was in building 1- was fantastic. The food was good and the service was fantastic. You have to remember that it is an all inclusive resort. That said- this resort does an extremely good job.

We did not have any trouble finding chairs on the beach throughout our stay. The pool can become very crowded, however, the beach is remarkably beautiful and the water is warm. Why you would want to be at the pool instead of that beach is beyond me. But- if you are a pool person who is looking for swim up bars, music, and a lively crowd- you won't miss here either. In fact, that last point is worth emphasizing. You can get drunk and party with others if you like. Or, if that is not your thing, the resort is big enough to escape the rowdiness. Especially on the beach or the lazy river pool.

As for excursions. Check out Rio Secreto. AMAZING. And the photographs will be kept forever. Check out the website to get better information compared to my description. All I will say is Rio Secreto was a true adventure into a natural cave/cenote formation that my girlfriend and I consider to be the highlight of our trip.

Good luck, enjoy, bring sunscreen.

Room Tip: second floor!