“Food Is On Another level”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Toronto, Canada
“Food Is On Another level”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The culinary experience here without a doubt sets this resort apart from others we have tried in this price range. The food alone is worth coming here. There are a few areas of opportunity for this resort, as with any. Despite the small issues, we really enjoyed our time at Valentin and will probably be back.

FOOD: The food at Valentin is what sets it apart. It truly is a step above the rest. From our experience all the food was fresh, of good quality and was flavored very well. They actually use spices in their dishes so the food doesn't taste bland. It tastes how you would expect it to taste. Our favorite restaurant for dinner was Mar & Tierra by the beach where we enjoyed the seafood. Particularly the whole fish. The main buffet switches the dishes offered daily, its not always the same old thing everyday. The buffet food appeared to be all fresh dishes, not leftovers from 3 days ago reused to make a new dish. A lot of resorts do that.
Room service wasn't too bad either although I ordered the steak 3 times and twice it was uncooked (raw) in the middle. Even on the last day before we flew out I was still being surprised by the food quality.

DRINKS: The frozen pina colada, margarita and strawberry daiquiris were our staples. The mixed drinks here are very good. Just like the food, they are using quality syrups and juices for their concoctions. Very impressed. Service at the swim up bar in the pool was excellent. They were fair with who was next in line. Some true professionals working there. I did have trouble getting gold tequila though when I asked for it. Most of the time they would just give me white. (I also tipped $1 for every order)
As for beer. Only Dos Equis and Coors light were available resort wide.

ROOMS: Our room was located in building 3. Upon entering we were shocked to discover 2 twin beds and not a Queen. A few signs of wear. Water damage in one of the framed pictures, rust on the top and bottom of lamp shades. Sunscreen infused into the hard wood floor. (See pictures for all above issues)
The room was more than adequate, bathroom was big for a base room, however we chose to upgrade so we could sleep in the same bed.
As the resort was at capacity we had to upgrade a few tiers.
Our upgraded room was in building 9. Building 9 is on the rocky but quieter side of the beach.
A much nicer room and again more than adequate but with a few issues as well. Our Jacuzzi was FILTHY (see picture). Quite a bit of hair, dirt and sand. I wiped it down with a towel (see picture). Even after filling and emptying the tub 3 times it was still dirty. The temperature in the room was just enough to be comfortable. The thermostat goes down to 68 but the room stayed at 77F (25C) for our entire stay (see pic). If you sleep on your back, the green flashing light on the smoke detector right above the bed might be an issue as you can see it flash every 10 seconds even when your eyes are closed.
There was some white paint or sunscreen stuck onto our headboard but the bed was comfortable. Few of the sheets had holes or stains but were clean. The in room safe worked great. Enjoyed the hammock on the balcony.

POOL: We used the main pool everyday and enjoyed the swim up bar. Could use some more chlorine though, I felt like I was swimming in pee.

BUGS: (see pictures for all encounters)
In our original room in building 3 there was a small spider in a corner of the ceiling (pic).
We upgraded ourselves to building 9. I was slowly waking up on the first morning. Still under the covers when I felt something running up my leg. It was a huge cockroach (see pic) the length of my pinky. Scared me but luckily im not afraid of cockroaches. Spiders are my Achilles heel.
Later that night I was winding down getting ready to go to sleep. Finished up on the toilet, flushed, stood up and a HUGE spider almost the size of my hand (see pic) scurried up over the door frame and ran along the wall closer to me. I ran out and screamed like a little girl (im a man), and got my can of RAID that I had the foresight to bring with me. I attempted to spray it twice in rapid succession and it DODGED the spray both times! Third spray it didn't move and I gave it a good 10 second blast. It stayed glued to the wall for 7 minutes before dropping to the floor.
I spent the next 2 hours in the lobby on the wifi looking at flights home. I decided to stick it out. Albeit with 1 eye open when I slept. Im glad I stayed as this was the end to my close encounters of the bug kind.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank ClickCrazy
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guests from Toronto, Canada

Thank you for the comments you have published on Trip Advisor about your vacation in October 2013. First of all, we would like to say that much has changed since your last visit in the Valentin .

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We would also like to point out that as many hotels in this area ,our resort is surrounded by natural tropical rainforest and during some season you might find more insects as we are in their natural habitat, Insects are a bad thing under any circumstance and in our business we can’t afford to be casual or careless about this and we take it very seriously. Our deepest apologies to you for this experience; we will continue to do everything in our power to stay ‘insect’ free..

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,554)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We are a young couple in late 20s/early 30s. The resort is VERY quiet, many of guests are in late 40s or +. It almost felt like it was too quiet for us. The room is nice, but nothing amazing.

things I like: bf really liked "dirty monkey" drink , beautiful beach and pool

Things need improvements: Really old/poor quality TV in the room, looks like it's from 20 years ago. Breakfast/Lunch buffets are very mediocre. Room service menu is horrible and takes 1 hour to deliver.

For dinners, we tried the french, which was great (duck legs, escargots) and Ginger's teppanyaki was fun but mediocre food (Benihana is much better) Overall pretty disappointed about their food, but I am a foodie so I have high expectation.

tip: strict dress code, make sure guys bring long pants, closed toe shoes and collared shirts!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Eunice C
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Eunice from Los Angeles, California

Thank you for your time and we are very sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations at 100 % and the levels of services that characterize our resort and company were not met at the instance.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback regarding the TV with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services

It is also disappointing to learn that you were not satisfied with our food; since the great majority of our guests like our gastronomic option with 7 thematic restaurants “à- La Carte”, with a wide variety of both cold and hot dishes to comply the expectations for all ages and nationalities .

On the other hand we are happy to know that you enjoyed our drinks , beautiful beach and pool.

We take your comments very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share them.

Kind Regards,
Clayton, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had a destination wedding at the Valentin. Our wedding planner Ana was excellent, she took care of everything from my very first email to our private round-trip transfer from the resort to the airport. My wedding was everything that I dreamed of and more. Our guests had such a great time and our photographer provided by the resort was amazing!
The resort policies have changed a lot since the last time we were there. We visited in 2009 and there was no privilege package and we had lobster pretty much every night, and we were upgraded to a swim up for free, which is why we fell in love with the resort. They also did not enforce the dress code as much as they did this past visit. I understand that people should not be wearing sim suits and flip flops to dinner but before everything was much more laid back and relaxed. During this visit, I felt that they asked for a lot more extra money (paying for lobster, cabanas, wines, etc) and we had already spent a lot to be there so we did not pay for any of it.
Even though the policies have changed we still loved the resort. We stayed in a swim up suite, which is great right next to the pool. The food and service at the restaurants were very good. We had a beach dinner as part of our wedding package and Carlos our server was awesome! The spa was great, we had massages on the beach, a facial massage, and I also got my hair and makeup done for my wedding and it was perfect.
We had such a great time at the Valentin and are so happy that we chose this resort to celebrate our wedding day and honeymoon.

Room Tip: Building 6, 7, or 8
Dear Emily from Clayton, Nueva Jersey

Thank you very much for having chosen Valentin Imperial Maya for your wedding and honeymoon. congratulation!

Exceed your expectations is our goal, we are very glad that you experienced a wonderful time with us.

We took also good note of your observations regarding the privilege package and dress code with our executive team in order to take the appropriate measures in the future.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back in our resort.

Please feel free to contact us.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from VIM,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I cannot fault anything about this place, truly amazing!

If you wanted quiet, you could have quiet; If you wanted noise, you could have noise. You could be with friends or a couple, it didn't matter, it had it all.

The staff can't do enough for you and they don't scrimp on anything, especially not the premium brand drinks or the measures.

I have a policy never to go to the same place twice because there are so many places to se and go, but this place means the policy needs serious review.

I loved it!

Room Tip: Book upgrades when you get there, cheaper than in advance!
5 Thank Danielle L
Dear Danielle from Londres, Reino Unido

We greatly appreciate the time you took to write a such good review regarding your last vacation in Valentin.

Thank you also for recommending our property and for considering our resort on a return visit to Mexico, please feel free to contact us. So we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations .

email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Best regards,
Pleasant Valley, New York, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just got back from a seven night, eight day stay at the Valentin. We truly enjoyed our stay! I read up a lot on this resort on trip advisor, so I feel that we were well prepared for what to expect.
We stayed in building 14, which I feel was a perfect location. We were right next to the entrance to the beach, the beach bar, the main pool and Mar y Tierra restaurant where we went everyday for breakfast and lunch. This building was about a 10 minute walk to the main area and where all the other restaurants were. I didn't mind the walk, but if you are people who don't like walking to things, this may not be for you. I enjoyed how everything was spread out and not on top of each other, just be prepared to walk, as everything is spaced out.
We tried the mexican restaurant, french, italian, sushi and steak/seafood. Hands down our favorite was sushi. We are big sushi eaters, and were impressed with the taste. Just be sure to get a seat at the actual sushi bar to ensure you are getting all the selection that the rest of the restaurant doesn't offer. We had to wait for a spot at the sushi bar, but it was well worth the wait. Our next favorite was the french restaurant. Great food and no wait. We waited about 45 mins for a table at the Italian restaurant and wish we hadn't. My pizza tasted like microwave pizza you get from a box. This was really the only time we were unsatisfied with food. The mexican restaurant had great service and good food. We splurged and had a romantic dinner on the beach on my birthday night. We were impressed with the service, food and atmosphere. Definitely worth your while to book that!
As other reviews have mentioned, you have to get up early for a spot on the beach, We were on the beach by 8:30/9:00 and still had to walk quite a ways to find chairs that weren't taken. My husband is not great in the sun, so our last 3 days we decided to splurge and rent a beach bed. This was the best money we spent on the trip. We had a guaranteed spot, in the shade (and sun for me) and great drink service. They really take care of you in this section.
I was unhappy with the fact we booked an ocean view room and we couldn't see one speck of the ocean. We were on the first floor and out our balcony all you could see was vegetation. I know a full view wasn't guaranteed, but we couldn't see ANY of the ocean. We could hear it, just not see anything.
We did go to a couple shows, which were worthwhile. If you don't like the beach and the pool, this resort isn't for you, as there is nothing else to do during the day. We loved the beach and pool, so this was exactly what we needed for a relaxing honeymoon.

Room Tip: Anything second floor or higher!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erica M
Dear Erica from Pleasant Valley, New York

Congratulations again on your marriage and wow! What beautiful words to describe our food , beach and pool!

We thank you very much for having chosen our Hotel for your honeymoon .

Thank you also for bringing to our attention the ocean view and in order to avoid any misunderstanding , we would like to confirm you that Emerald Jr. Suites enjoy an oceanfront location but the view of the ocean may be obstructed by vegetation and is not guaranteed.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to welcome you back for your first anniversary or whenever you like.

Wishing you all the best,
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

All-inclusive, excellent sea-breeze with international tourists, relax and just have fun, don't forget your dancing shoes for the live concert and lots of dancing. Enjoy your vacation, you deserve it!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is comfortable and enjoyable. All rooms will be great, walking distance to the sea.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sadaf K
Dear recent VIM Guests from McLean, Virginia

We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we would like to thank you for sharing such a wonderful review.

Looking forward to host you again in the near future!

Regards
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

WOW!! This resort far exceeded our expectations! From the moment we arrived until our departure 7 days later we felt like we were in the most beautiful place on earth! We're already planning our trip for next year. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, as are the rooms and pools. We really went for the gorgeous beach and we were not disappointed! The food was amazing, everything we ate from breakfast to desert after dinner was so good!! The level of service is extrordinary...we had 5 star service from start to finish and everywhere in between! If you're going to the beach go early for shade and order yourself a refreshing cocktail from SONYA she is absolutely amazing and will take care of you all day! while tips are not expected we took care of everyone who served us because we really were blown away by the exceptional and friendly service!! After the beach stop by the beach bar to see Miguel and Victor they are nice friendly guys who serve you with a smile. We ate at most of the restaurants and while i wish i remembered everyone's name we were never disappointed with our service. If you read a negative review please ignore it those people will never be happy no matter where they go. We met at least 10 couples who had been here before and are already planning to go back - and this is because it is a beautiful resort with amazing service! Can't wait to return in 2015! I booked on Cheap Carribean and will do so again great value and super easy.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 6 with the lazy river pool just below our 2nd floor room - loved it and will r...
8 Thank Barbie B
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Barbie from Fairfield, Connecticut ,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent experiences at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

Wow what a great way to start the week. Your kind’s words mean more than you know and your feedback has been displayed in the hotel for all our staff to see.

Thank you also for recommending our property and we look forward in welcoming you back for your 2nd visit in the near future.

Wishing you all the best,
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!