The culinary experience here without a doubt sets this resort apart from others we have tried in this price range. The food alone is worth coming here. There are a few areas of opportunity for this resort, as with any. Despite the small issues, we really enjoyed our time at Valentin and will probably be back.
FOOD: The food at Valentin is what sets it apart. It truly is a step above the rest. From our experience all the food was fresh, of good quality and was flavored very well. They actually use spices in their dishes so the food doesn't taste bland. It tastes how you would expect it to taste. Our favorite restaurant for dinner was Mar & Tierra by the beach where we enjoyed the seafood. Particularly the whole fish. The main buffet switches the dishes offered daily, its not always the same old thing everyday. The buffet food appeared to be all fresh dishes, not leftovers from 3 days ago reused to make a new dish. A lot of resorts do that.
Room service wasn't too bad either although I ordered the steak 3 times and twice it was uncooked (raw) in the middle. Even on the last day before we flew out I was still being surprised by the food quality.
DRINKS: The frozen pina colada, margarita and strawberry daiquiris were our staples. The mixed drinks here are very good. Just like the food, they are using quality syrups and juices for their concoctions. Very impressed. Service at the swim up bar in the pool was excellent. They were fair with who was next in line. Some true professionals working there. I did have trouble getting gold tequila though when I asked for it. Most of the time they would just give me white. (I also tipped $1 for every order)
As for beer. Only Dos Equis and Coors light were available resort wide.
ROOMS: Our room was located in building 3. Upon entering we were shocked to discover 2 twin beds and not a Queen. A few signs of wear. Water damage in one of the framed pictures, rust on the top and bottom of lamp shades. Sunscreen infused into the hard wood floor. (See pictures for all above issues)
The room was more than adequate, bathroom was big for a base room, however we chose to upgrade so we could sleep in the same bed.
As the resort was at capacity we had to upgrade a few tiers.
Our upgraded room was in building 9. Building 9 is on the rocky but quieter side of the beach.
A much nicer room and again more than adequate but with a few issues as well. Our Jacuzzi was FILTHY (see picture). Quite a bit of hair, dirt and sand. I wiped it down with a towel (see picture). Even after filling and emptying the tub 3 times it was still dirty. The temperature in the room was just enough to be comfortable. The thermostat goes down to 68 but the room stayed at 77F (25C) for our entire stay (see pic). If you sleep on your back, the green flashing light on the smoke detector right above the bed might be an issue as you can see it flash every 10 seconds even when your eyes are closed.
There was some white paint or sunscreen stuck onto our headboard but the bed was comfortable. Few of the sheets had holes or stains but were clean. The in room safe worked great. Enjoyed the hammock on the balcony.
POOL: We used the main pool everyday and enjoyed the swim up bar. Could use some more chlorine though, I felt like I was swimming in pee.
BUGS: (see pictures for all encounters)
In our original room in building 3 there was a small spider in a corner of the ceiling (pic).
We upgraded ourselves to building 9. I was slowly waking up on the first morning. Still under the covers when I felt something running up my leg. It was a huge cockroach (see pic) the length of my pinky. Scared me but luckily im not afraid of cockroaches. Spiders are my Achilles heel.
Later that night I was winding down getting ready to go to sleep. Finished up on the toilet, flushed, stood up and a HUGE spider almost the size of my hand (see pic) scurried up over the door frame and ran along the wall closer to me. I ran out and screamed like a little girl (im a man), and got my can of RAID that I had the foresight to bring with me. I attempted to spray it twice in rapid succession and it DODGED the spray both times! Third spray it didn't move and I gave it a good 10 second blast. It stayed glued to the wall for 7 minutes before dropping to the floor.
I spent the next 2 hours in the lobby on the wifi looking at flights home. I decided to stick it out. Albeit with 1 eye open when I slept. Im glad I stayed as this was the end to my close encounters of the bug kind.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya