“20th Anniversary Trip”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed 17 July 2014

It's been a while since we went on our trip to the Valentine Imperial Maya - we went in August 2013. We visited TripAdvisor many times to read what people had to say about this resort and had every intention of writing our review when we returned but that didn't happen! SO, here we are now - almost a year later.

ROOM: This place was absolutely beautiful! We had a Silver Suite and it was amazing. I think I remember that people were complaining that the rooms were not that cold well ours was just fine. I'm always hot and I had no problems in our room. It was perfect! We had the Happy Anniversary Banner on our door - makes you feel a little extra special.

PRIVILEGE PACKAGE: We did add the Privilege Package and it was WELL worth the extra money. We chose to have a bed at the beach and that was so nice. It was also closer to the bar! We are not wealthy people and we don't have to have the best of the best but we decided to splurge and add that package and having that cabana at the beach was worth every penny. Our only problem that we had was that a few times we went out and people were in our cabana and using our towels and laying in our bed. That kind of bothered me...maybe the resort people could monitor that more?? I just can't believe the nerve some people have - I would never plop myself on something that clearly has someone's name on it. You also get 4 bottles of liquor - big bottles! We brought 3 bottles home with us because you didn't need it - every where you looked there was a bar. Special treats are left in your room too - chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, etc. Adding this also allowed you to have drinks and check in and check out in a special lounge just for those that had the package. The ladies and gentlemen that work in there are extremely nice and very accommodating. They make any reservations that you need so that you don't have to wait in any lines. They were so helpful!

FOOD: We liked every restaurant that we ate at - we especially liked the Mexican one. We ate there one of our last nights and wished we had gone earlier in our stay and could have gone again. The breakfast buffets were good as were the lunch buffets. The hibachi was fun - they put on a great show! One of the places we ate many times was an outdoors restaurant - and it was hot. But it was Mexico in August - what do you expect!

THE BEACH/POOL: We chose not to leave the resort at all during our stay for any excursions. It was purely a relaxing vacation for us after a hectic summer. We layed at the beach every day. The pool is enormous and beautiful - it's the biggest pool I've ever seen! It looked like everyone was having a lot of fun when we would walk through that area. I didn't see anyone being obnoxious or extra loud...just people having a good time. Being from South Louisiana we just loved laying in the cabana on the white sand and looking at the crystal blue water - we don't normally see water that color here! There are people walking the beach that want to sell you things but once you tell them you aren't interested - they pretty much leave you alone. If you do decide to buy something - bargain with them - they will go down on their prices!

EVENINGS IN THE PLAZA: Every night they provided some type of entertainment in the Plaza...the house band was fun, 2 nights there were vendors that came in so you could shop (wheel and deal with them too) and one night was a Mexican night with lots of food, music and fun.

GROUNDS: The resort itself is beautiful! People are constantly working in the gardens. It is very large - we probably only saw 1/4 of the place! We were in building 2 so we were pretty centrally located to all of the activities and restaurants - which I liked. You will see MANY iguanas - they are not afraid of you - they will sit there and watch you walk right by!

Now - I did have a bad stomach that started a couple of days after we arrived - I thought it was due to the many frozen drinks I was drinking - but I brought it home with me and ended up seeing a dr. a week later for antibiotics because it wasn't stopping! A guy in the shuttle to the airport was suffering with the same thing. That was my only complaint! I have no idea what caused it - but I still had a wonderful time and it didn't stop me!

We also met a wonderful couple that was there celebrating their 10 year anniversary and we have stayed in touch with them. We will be returning to the Valentine Imperial Maya - next time with a group of friends - we want everyone to experience the beauty and hospitality that we experienced there. It was a wonderful place!

Room Tip: If you want to be closer to the restaurants, pool, and plaza ask for building 1 or 2
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melissa L
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Melissa from Thibodaux, Louisiana

We are so happy to know that you spend a beautiful vacation with us and mostly if was such an special ocassion as your 20 Anniversary!

Always will be a pleasure to provide our guests with the best service and our goal is that our guests go home with intentions of returning.

We will be happy to see you again so do not hesitate to let us know as soon as you are ready to return.

Valentin Imperial Maya is waiting for your return.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I got a great deal on Hotwire, and already knew based on reviews that it was a bargain. I was glad to have gone in the off season, but even so, most of the rooms were full. Very few of them have an unobstructed ocean view but that was just fine with me, and a jungle view is also relaxing. Local laws prohibit the cutting down of the foliage, to protect and preserve ecologically. One thing I appreciated is that we were treated like royalty even though we bought at a discount. I felt the service and attitude of the staff was just great.
The pool is very active during the day, with hip hop music and some games which are facilitated by the entertainment staff. All staff members were polite and seemed interested in us, asking us where we were from and if there was anything we needed.
The grounds, as others have stated, are immaculate. Lots of cute coati mundi and agouti, iguanas, and birds all running around. The breakfast and lunch buffet were good, dinners great. I felt special because they took the time to bring a plate of cake to the room with Happy Birthday written on it.
Lots of free channels on satellite, including a few we were not expecting:) There was a cool sports bar and a spacious lobby. The band was really good and kept the party going at night. It is not a spring break type of place, don't expect a wild party, but you will have plenty to do.
Beach is very nice, I will give it a high rating even though the waves can be pretty strong at times I highly recommend setting up a tour with Dolphin Discovery Maroma just down the road. It is a great time and the beach there is wonderful. I will be writing a separate review on that venue.
I could go on all day about this place, and can't wait to go back. Please tip the staff, because they earn it.

Room Tip: Silver suite if you want to be near restaurant, golden if you want to be half way between beach and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Travelcrazy311

Dear recent VIM Guests from Columbus, Ohio

Thank you very much for taking time to review our resort.

We are sure that TripAdvisor's Community will appreciate your insights and will bear them in mind when choosing our resort for their vacation.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed here based on good reviews as my first trip to Mexico with my 19 year old daughter. There were a few other guests from the UK, but most people we met were from USA or Canada which was great. The setting is beautiful on a large complex right on the Caribbean coast. We loved the giant iguanas and groups of coatis roaming across the site as well as the amazing birds. The palm trees and flowering bushes are quite lovely and the gardeners constantly tend the site. This resort has something for everyone. The standard of food and drinks is exceptional for an all inclusive. We were really happy with our room too - comfortable and spacious - so felt no need to upgrade.
The staff were generally helpful and friendly - they worked hard to ensure that all guests were well looked after at all times. The choice of restaurants is fantastic - we particularly enjoyed the French, Italian and also steak (surf and turf) options. You will never get hungry here.
Our favourite aspects: yoga and keep fit classes in the morning, the quiet pool during the day, lunch by the beach, sunset at the beach bar (on the swings), evening entertainment by the resident band (woman singer is sensational) with all the Americans in the house dancing to their favourite 'Sweet Caroline'.
Both me and my daughter were very sad to leave this hotel where we felt really cared for - nothing we asked for was too much trouble. We went on several excursions booked through the on site team - all were fabulous especially Xplor by night! All in all a lovely place - don't hesitate to book!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear recent VIM Guests from Liverpool, Reino Unido

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

We are so glad to hear that the time spent with us was so memorable. It is always both refreshing and encouraging to receive such high commendation as we are constantly striving towards the highest possible standards.

We will pass your praise and thanks on to all those who helped make your time with us special.

We look forward to welcoming you again during your next visit to Mexican Caribbean.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from vacation at the valentin and once again, everything was phenomenal!

Beach is super clean. It's a little bit of a walk if you don't have the privilege package but it's not terrible. Water is clear enough to see all the angel fish swimming in the area.

Rooms (we had a jr deluxe room) are very nice. Our room was located in building 5 which is a nice area since it's centralized between everything. We don't spend hardly any time in our room other than to sleep so we went with a basic room. Always kept clean by the awesome housekeeping staff! We heard that some people complained that their room was warm but we never had any problem. It always seemed comfortable especially on the very warm evening when you came back to the room at night and felt the cool air as you opened your door.

Pool is VERY big and is never feel crowded even when the resort is at capacity. There are 2 pools but we never made it to the quieter "lazy river" style pool. This year the pool seemed to be very war compared to the previous year but not much that can be done about that. The bar service at the pool was very good! A huge shout out to Veronica and Audel at the one pool bar! They were awesome. Every time we saw them they greeted us by name and asked how our vacation has been and were more than happy to get you anything you desired. THANKS Veronica and Audel! Another thing that was awesome at the pool this year is that they added food. It's only quick stuff to grab bit still nice to have!

Restaurants were great! Best one in my opinion is the French. We went there twice and I order the same exact meal the second time because it was that good ( filet mignon and crusted onion soup)!! Sushi at the sushi bar was great. Italian had a killer Mexican pizza. Wait staff was very tentative to everything and really on top of things. Another shout out has to go to Gilberto at mar and tierre! Very nice guy. We would always request him at breakfast and lunch.

Bars around the resort were top notch as well. Love the fact that it's top shelf liquor and they certainly don't skimp on it. Piano bar was a very nice place to catch a few drinks before or after dinner.

All in all this place will certainly be my every year vacation! I recommend it to anyone. The people on here that over complain about this place can probably never be satisfied no matter where they go. Like I said I will be back year after year!

Finally, I want to make sure I recognize bartender Antonio. Our first year at the VIM we met Antonio at the piano bar and he was super nice. We ended up going to wherever he was bar tending every night. When we got to the hotel this year, we right away asked about him and he was still working there. When he found him that night, he actually remember us which we could not believe. He a great guy, awesome bartender and a big reason why we can't wait to come back to the VIM. THANKS Antonio and VIM. Can't wait to see you next year!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Kalexander52
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Kalexander52,

In the name of all Valentin Imperial Maya, receive my most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our chain.We are honored to know that your enthusiasm for our Hotel, service staff has not changed within the years and it is our pleasure to know that VIM keeps bringing some magic into your lives.

Thanks for appreciated the efforts and job of the staff (especially Antonio !), we will pass all your inspiring comments to them.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at Valentin Imperial Maya.Please do not hesitate to contact us with any requests you may have.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We loved everything about this hotel, the staff, the rooms, the pools and the beach. Everything was wonderful. The more you tip the more they will follow you around. The pricing has gone up a lot since we went but is worth it. We did a swim up room and it was amazing wait staff came around in your private pool and took drink orders. It is also adults only

I am a travel agent also and I have sent several clients to this hotel and they have had the same result.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicole from Mount Airy, Maryland

Thank you for choosing Valentin for the very special occasion of your honeymoon.

We are delighted that you had a wonderful time and would like to thank you for your gracious comments about our people and facilities.

Hoping to have you back soon, we send you our warmest regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a great vacation at the Valentin July 2nd - 9th. Everything was perfect from check-in through check-out. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The pools are gorgeous and the beach was absolutely beautiful. Some days there were big waves to enjoy jumping and body surfing, other days it was calm and peaceful. The sand is powdery white and soft. The water is crystal clear and blue. There is always a nice breeze blowing. If you are beach people (as we are) you will really love this beach. If you want a palapa close to the beach bar you have to get out early as these are always taken. We also loved the fact that this resort supports turtle conservation. They rescue and release baby sea turtles, collect all eggs and release them at night when they hatch. Absolutely love that! Was lucky enough during our stay to actually see and hold a baby sea turtle. During turtle egg laying season (July) there are no motorized water sports here at all. Have to go on an excursion to do that or walk 1/2 hour up the beach to another resort who offers it. Not a big deal! There are beautiful birds and wildlife throughout the resort which we also enjoyed seeing everyday. (Coatis, iguanas, lizards, raccoons, etc., even saw a deer with a tan!) Splurged on the spa (it smells sooo good in there) and had the BEST couples massage by Jazmin and Sandra. They were great! The staff at this resort (everyone) were amazing. Always smiling and friendly. They go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. Special thanks to Rigoberto, our waiter many a nights. He was so professional, courteous, and friendly that we went back to Mar y Tierra more than once just to enjoy his service. We tipped everyone often (though you don't have to) but they all work so hard and deserve every bit of it! At the pool and the beach there was never any need to go to the bar as the waiter/waitresses return often with any drink you want. We chose the Silver Suite in building 2 which we loved. It was in the middle of everything. The room was a perfect size. Really enjoyed the jacuzzi. The maid service was wonderful; always kept our room supplied and immaculate. We were going to purchase the privilege package if they were going to offer some kind of discount which they did not..no haggling there! As it was pricey we chose not to and I'm glad we didn't spend the extra money because you really don't need it. We always found a spot at the beach / pool (we are early risers) and we never really had to wait to be seated for dinner ( we went 7/ 7:30). Only once during our stay we waited one hour but who cares we sat at the plaza and had cocktails while we waited. Room service was outstanding...the food was great and the staff who greeted you at your door were fabulous! One touch service provides you with anything you need. No complaints at all. The food was really good and fresh; especially loved Mar y Tierra for dinner and the hibachi. All the buffets were great too. Drinks were always flowing and they do not skimp on the liquor. They will make anything you want with premium liquor. Great! Lots of activities to do if you choose to. Enrique at the dive center by the main pool was so friendly and he knows his stuff. If you book an excursion he's your man! Lots of entertainment at night to choose from...bands, shows, sports bar, piano bar, cigar lounge and even Hookah..loved it! If anyone complains about this place they are just too picky and need to stay in a palace with butler service. This resort was everything we hoped for and more. Had a great, relaxing, stress free vacation. Looking to return again next summer and stay even longer!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Nancy615

Dear Nancy615,

We are flattered to know you had such a pleasant stay at our property and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts here with others.

Please let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback, our great team will be ready to exceed your expectations again!

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I went to VIP in June and overall had a great vacation. We had a Diamond Imperial suite which was huge!!!! We enjoyed the space and were fortunate to have signed up for this when there was a good sale.

The room itself was great, plenty of room to spread out. The bed was comfy and had good blackout blinds. The bathroom was large and had a hot tub attached. The shower had poor water pressure and was not all that big for 2 people. The bathroom was in the open design, meaning you could see you roommate use the restroom if you are inside at the same time. Not really the American way!! My wife's complaint was that there was only combined shampoo/conditioner, but not separates. She did say it was fine at the end.

The pool area is HUGE!!! Plenty of chairs so you do not have to play the towel game, though some still did (they are everywhere!!!). The service by the pool was consistent and we never ran out of drinks for very long. A special shout out to Adriana who did an awesome job!!!!

The beach was good as well, but was very windy the week we were there so we did not spend much time there.

The restaurants were all quite good. We didn't have a favorite as the quality was pretty good at all of them. Not the best food at an all inclusive, but definitely good. The breakfast buffet had many offerings. The service there was hit or miss as some workers were not as attentive to refilling coffee as others. Betty at the breakfast buffet always welcomed us as if we were coming there for years!!!! She is definitely management material!!! We had the plan that did not require reservations and received lobster for no extra charge. There are plenty of choices so getting lobster if not paid for is probably not worth it.

The shows were above average, but not great. The magic show was disappointing as all of the tricks wee easy to figure out.

The best part of the trip was the staff. They were all very friendly and would go out of their way to make your vacation better. VIP provided us with a great vacation, but not a 5 start facility as there were many of the small things that just were not done. Some examples were minibar not being refreshed daily, simply not refilling sugars, cream and coffee in the room (even when a note was left to please do so). Also we had called ahead to have some things set for us on arrival which were acknowledged by email, but not followed through when we arrived.

You WILL have a great time there!!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the Diamond Suite!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bostonfamilydoc

Dear Bostonfamilydoc,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent experiences at the Valentin Imperial Maya. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed so much the time spent at our hotel. Thanks for appreciated the efforts and job of the staff, we will pass all your inspiring comments to them.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Receive our warmest regards,

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!