Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
The Bliss Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
12,757 results
All reviewsfrench restaurantemerald suitemain poolprivilege packagedon miguelthe lazy river poolbreakfast and lunchroom servicesilver suitestwo swim up barsthe french onion soupsports barcoors lightsushi barmichael jackson showother resortsla hacienda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was here in July with my fiancé. We picked this resort based on all of the great tripadvisor reviews, and I am glad that we did! We stayed 7 nights. I think it's easier to break down my review by category...

1. Beach - absolutely beautiful! One of the nicest resort beaches I have ever been on. Beach and water were very clean. Water was warm and perfect for swimming. There were a lot of Tiki huts to lay under, and you didn't have to get there super early to get one. The days we went to the beach we arrived around 11am and had to walk down towards the end of the tiki huts, but we were able to get one every time.

2. Food – breakfast and lunch are buffets. For the most part they were good, but they should change the food choices more often. It is a lot of the same food over and over, so that by the end of the trip I was bored with the food. As for dinner, it was very good for an all inclusive. I have been to a few all inclusive resorts and this food was probably the best. Our two favorite restaurants were L'Alsace (French) and Taman Sari (Thai/Indonesian). The Mexican and Italian restaurants were also pretty good; the only dinner we were disappointed with was at Restaurant Tierra. We each ordered steak medium rare and they came out well done and tough. However, all of our other meals were very nice. We did check out the Mexican and Caribbean buffets, but the food did not look so great so we skipped them and stuck to the restaurants.

3. Service – the staff at the resort is very friendly, helpful and attentive. They’re always smiling and ready to assist you with anything you need. The bartenders at the beach bar were awesome and made us fantastic drinks.

4. Rooms – we stayed in a Golden Junior Suite. It was a beautiful room; a few nights there were rose petals scattered on the bed and on the juccuzi. We had a balcony with a view of the pool. Room was kept very clean, and the AC was strong, which felt great after being in the heat and humidity all day long!

5. Check In/Check Out – unfortunately these were the parts of the trip that weren’t so great. When we arrived we couldn’t check in until 3pm. No big deal, we went to eat lunch and came back at 3pm. We waited around for 45 minutes to check in, and had to ask twice if our room was ready. We felt like they forgot about us and we had to remind them to check on our room.
The day we checked out we called the night before to schedule someone to pick our bags up from our room the next morning at 10am. We were told to make sure we were in our room 10am exactly. The next day, by a few minutes after 10am no one had come to get our bags, so I called to see if they were coming and they said “oh, are you ready? We will have someone there in 10-15 minutes.” I’m not sure what happened to our scheduled pick up, but it was pointless calling and scheduling the night before.

6. Scheduling taxis – we had a tour scheduled for one day. We had to be in Playa del Carmen at 7:30am to meet the tour group. The day before we called the bellboy to schedule a taxi for 7am. They told us that was fine. The next morning we get to the taxi stand at 7am, and they do not have anything scheduled for us. We had to wait 15 minutes for a taxi to come. We were nervous our tour was going to leave without us, but fortunately for us they waited. DO NOT count on scheduling things ahead of time…the two times we did it it did not work out for us.

7. Resort Grounds – the resort grounds are very beautiful. It is a very natural look – there are not perfectly sculpted shrubs and neat flower beds, which I loved. The landscaping had a more tropical, jungle feel. I have read a lot of reviews that people did not like having to walk so much, but I didn’t mind it. It was a pleasant walk, and in my opinion not too bad. They do have staff that can drive you around on golf carts but we didn’t find them necessary. We saw some cool wildlife. There were a lot of iguanas, and two mornings we saw a ton of anteaters. There must have been over 40 of them, and a lot of little baby ones, too. That was very cool.

Overall we had a great time, and would recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Alissa L
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Alissa from N.Y ,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to write a review and we are definitely also grateful for choosing the Valentin for your vacation.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your room , most of our services and facilities and the friendliness of our staff.

Regarding your not so positive comments, we have taken not of those as to share with the correspondent departments; be reassured that all comments are taken into consideration and are used to improve the guest experience, if needed be. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused during your stay.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Best regards

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This review is a bit patchy as I am doing it in stages when I get the time. Hopefully some info will be of help and I don't get repetitive!

This trip was a family trip June 23 - July7th. Myself, son, daughter and her boyfriend. We arrived at 3 different times and had consistent experiences. Cannot count how many times we heard or said the word "AWESOME" during our stay!! :)
BOOKING - Reservation
The total experience from booking to checking out and everything in between was a breeze. Within days of booking, I had to alter the dates due to an unforeseen medical situation and was accommodated immediately by Alberto Lopez in the Reservations Department. It was reassuring! The prompt communication took a lot of pressure off and was a great start to a wonderful vacation.
CHECK IN
I got to the resort around 5pm and check in was smooth, a welcome glass of cold sparkling wine and warm smiles... at that time it was quiet and I was in my room with my bags and ready to enjoy the resort within half an hour. And again with this trip to the Valentin, my expectations for a wonderful vacation were met and exceeded. It was two years between visits and I am still surprised at how many staff recognized that I had been there before! Very pleasant and sincere welcome backs from the Valentin staff,,,

STAFF
What ever philosophy the Valentin management and staff have a formula that works. The people working at this resort make guests feel welcome and provide them with attentive service in every department.
Also it was pleasant to witness the staff communicating so respectfully and amiable amongst themselves. Between staff and guests, this resort was a sea of smiles...

CONCIERGE
The Head Concierge, "Cesar" - maintains a high profile around the resort, circulating and seems to be in constant communications with his staff and guests. Miguel, Edgar, and Alexander were outstanding Concierge Staff at the beach and pool areas. Always greeting the guests with a genuine smile and hello. Very helpful, personal and sure did know how to keep the guests happy. What a great team. I wish I could remember all the names!!
This trip was outstanding and the Concierge department came through so many times. They pointed me in the right direction when I needed to look into excursions, while they do not book the excursions they did have some good advice and can direct you to the correct company/location at the resort. They helped get change for US or Mex pesos (I needed tip $), and answered any questions to the best of their ability....very helpful indeed. outstanding

The resort was at 100% occupancy during part of our stay and it was not noticeable! I was concerned there might be crowding and line ups etc. Not an issue at all. I don't know where all those other guests are? There was no shortage of loungers, towels, space on the beach. Waits did get longer during the peak dinner hours but there was no crowding at the buffets for breakfast or lunch. At most 4 people deep at the omelette egg station but the cooks were efficiently fast! As for any waits it was 40 minutes tops one night for us and the pager system worked well as you could have a cocktail and relax at the bar of your choice.

While this resort is a fantastic romantic venue for couples it is also a destination for groups and several wedding parties were present so that makes for a more diverse guest base. My daughter and I met 3 young couples during the last part of our stay, 2 of them got engaged at the resort and the 3rd at Tulum on the beach. All surprise engagements for the ladies! We also met two ladies that were there for a few days to celebrate their divorces!? So it is a mixed bag,,, along with all the singles that would come down for the weddings. My experience this trip was that guests of all ages were enjoying the amenities and entertainment.

The Daily Journal delivered to the rooms outlining the next days activities etc welcomed up to 30 new couples daily celebrating Honeymoons/Anniversaries/Birthdays in addition to the list of repeat guests welcomed back!

FOOD
Both breakfast and lunch are buffet format with the evening meals are A la carte. I prefer the brunch options during the day, means no waiting for service and can get back out to enjoy the pools and beach after a bite to eat.
BREAKFAST:
There are 2 breakfast buffets
Mar y Tierra - 7:30-10:30am by the beach with breath taking views of bright green foliage and the water beyond ( I attached a pic of the view to this review)
Le Marche 7:00-11:00 in the main building with 3 seating options, inside air conditioning (until 2:30) outside over the calming water feature pond or inside the main dining room area. Both restaurants are Buffet Style enhanced with various cooking stations for eggs, omelets and crepe stations so there are some made to order options.
After week one, we discovered Le Marche had slightly better options with a bit more variety and went there exclusively for Breakfast and Lunch. Had the ice cream station at the dessert bar which was a must and more variety at the made to order stations.
LUNCH:
Buffet again at the two locations + outdoor BBQ at Main Pool
Mar y Tierra 11:00-4:30
Le Marche 12:00-4:00 (with a limited al a carte snack menu 4:00-6:00)
These buffets are diverse with much variety and always a protein featured either a large baked fish, roast beef or pork with crackling. Amazing selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, cheeses, endless options with items being rotated during the week (Duck, chicken, beef, fish and port creations) so it was not identical every day although there were many staples that were featured daily. The sweet and sour pork was among a favorite with my kids! It was prepared perfectly.
At Le Marche we received wonderful service from Luis (with the glasses) and Melina. Both amazing and all the Hostesses were always so very gracious! And Umberto was dynamic at the Mar y Tierra

Pool BBQ set up.
There is a daily BBQ style station set up outside one of the bars at the Main Pool for lunch and afternoon snacks where you can sit at one of the outdoor tables or bar and eat or take back to your lounger,,, Hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos.. Tried the hamburger one day it was delicious but I do prefer the indoor buffet option.

DINNER / Evening Meals
The 7 Restaurants are all Ala Carte with dress codes place
Restaurant hours 6:00-10:30pm
One of the evening restaurants, "The Corner" by the beach (A section off of Mar y Tierra) is an additional charge with a tempting menu and we did not go there... With all the other options and variety of great meals to be had that are included I never felt I was missing out.

Themed Buffet Nights
More casual dress code
There are two Festival style buffets set up either outside in front of the resort or inside the Theatre depending on the weather... Carribean one night and Mexican the other night - on Mondays and Thursdays. Each has fantastic live music and performances. Worth checking out but I have seen it before here so we opted for the ala cartes each night. Keep in mind, during the specialty buffet nights the resort does close a restaurant for that night and it is posted in the daily Journal.

The VIM held a themed Buffet night to celebrate July 4th for the guests. It was nicely decorated in the Stars and Stripes theme and held in the Theatre because of the weather, big downpour after 10 that night!. We just checked it out though and opted for the Italian Restaurant as we were counting down our stay and wanted to enjoy the Gorgonzola sauce once again. I did get an opportunity to ask other guests that partook in the buffet and they said they enjoyed it.

For the ala cartes we preferred L'Alsace (French - Filet Mignon wow), Italian and Japanese. We sat at the sushi bar twice and asked the chefs each time for a "special" creation, food was artfully prepared, fresh, and full of flavour.
Great show at the Hibachi/Teppanyaki in Ginger (Japanese), this is the one meal that you need to make a reservation for at 9 am that day through the two Concierge locations in the guest buildings that take the reservations.
L'Olivo (Italian) has delicious food, best lasagna and great variety of pastas and sauces. The Hostess Cristine was very charming as was Teresa and Edgar.
Tamansari - Indonesion. Not my favourite. While some of the menu items are delicious I did have the Tandori Chicken and found it over spiced. We all tasted it and agreed, must have been a mistake as it was the only unedible item during my 15 day stay.

I found that all the Staff at the buffets and restaurants worked well as a team, keeping wine/water glasses topped up, plates cleared etc... very well organized and efficient.

ROOM SERVICE
24 hours with some restrictions on times for menu items (ie breakfast from 7 to 11). Great selection of food especially for late night snacking. The waits were usually 45 minutes to an hour depending on the time of day. They are delivered on bicycles throughout the resort and the hot stuff kept hot and cold stuff cold. That was my experience. It was lovely getting mimosa's with breakfast on the patio. For alcohol, they allow 4 glasses of wine per room/per day (red or white - no sparkling - bummer) They still have some of the staffers from 2010 working in that department! Another good sign for the resort.

BEVERAGES
There is a lot of variety here and expansive drink menu. Quality everywhere.
Victor, one of the Bartenders (there are many of them - popular name?!) at the main pool made thee best Mojito with just the right amount of simple syrup... I got mine with Bacardi Anjeo - goes down smoothly. We found top shelf liquor throughout the resort. Complete with Grey Goose at the pool bars and buffet bars!? Very impressed. The bartenders through out the resort all take pride in their work and are fast fast...whether at the formal bars Don Miguels (Uriel made a perfect muddled "Dirty Martini" - he takes great care in his preparation and presentation of cocktails.... and is very personable) At the Sports Bar we came across Jorge and he was awesome and easy to talk to. Veronica at the pool bar,,, There are so many great staffers here... All of the Staff at the beach/pool bars all work hard and have phenominal memories for drink orders and faces.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT
Plaza Espana the center courtyard is where the under the stars music is featured
7:30 - 9:00 live music either a Duo or one person - fairly mellow background music
9:45 - 11:15 or 10:00 - 11:30 Depending on the band - live dancing music
11:30 - 1:00 DJ
On my way to the room for the night between 10:30 and 11:30 the dance floor was often packed. Guests were having a blast. One night was deserted though because of the serious rain that blew through around 10:30 and cleared the square but filled the Sports Bar and Don Miguels!!
For me I am usually in a restaurant during the show times so have missed most of the shows.
The nightly shows really draw a crowd.
Fire Performance at Las Fuentes at the front of the resort... Amazing,,, and get there early for a front row seat! Breath taking skills here and glad I finally took it in.
Circus Show - in the Theatre - this one has a slow start, we left and apparently we missed an incredible performance. Will stick it out next time

HOUSEKEEPING
The housekeeping staff were very pleasant, consistent, daily cleaning and tidying as was the mini fridge staffer. I found our pillows to be too firm so asked our maid for softer ones through hand gesturing - yay charades! It worked and I got some very soft pillows.
Loved the turn down in the evenings. There is something so elegant and pampering about getting back to the room at the end of the night and having the room refreshed and the soft music and lighting.

In ROOM SAFE
Just love that sound of programming the safe in the closet. One of those "I am back in Mexico" sensations...
We managed to fit all of our electronics, 13" lap tops x 2 and more in the safe.

GYM Facility - hah feel free to skip this part - I know its not a priority for some.
While the gym was adequate before, they installed a new system and it is a Great improvement.
"technogym" is the name of the system. It is featured on the VIM in room TV channel as there is a short demo on it.
They have 5 stations from the kinesis line (4 sitting and 1 standing) 3 of their treadmills and 3 elliptical style machines. This is awesome equipment. There are also a couple of bikes in the mix. The room temp is comfortable with a mini fridge filled with water and a stack of towels and there are a couple of TVs for viewing. The free weights are outside the main gym area due to room restriction but they could be brought into the aircon to use and then returned. It was busy in the mornings. Hint - Respect this equipment. Some guests were using the treadmills while their shoes were filled with sand! Bad for the longevity of this quality equipment. Staff showed up to clean the messes quickly though. The place was pristine.

ACTIVITIES:
The Entertainment Team "GO Team" have a big job on their hands keeping guests busy and happy. They sure did a great job from what I experienced. We aren't big on hanging around the main pool. Preferred the beach or quiet "Lazy River" pool (which does not have a noticeable current?) by the Golden Buildings. However, I took the bike ride offered in the daily activities and was glad I did. Have not been on a bike with pedal brakes in decades!! Got to meet Celina, she was fabulous and very engaging, humorous also. Gave a great bike tour and a great way to get an idea of the lay out during the tour. Also met with Rafael from the GO Team on the beach when he was mingling with the guests and informing them of the July 4th Celebrations. Both Celina and Rafael are very suited for their jobs...very upbeat and energetic.

POOLS
The huge Main Pool was lively, sometimes raucous with guests having a great time enjoying the music and activities. We did hang out at the quieter end of the main pool away from the activities but depending on the guests that can get really loud. Found the crescent shaped pool at the Golden Buildings to be the most relaxing, mellow location. Great beverage service there too with the wait staff coming around with fruit kabobs! Nice touch. Alexander stood out here. Loved the rock speakers throughout the resort grounds and the ultra mellow music.

BEACH
Wide and long with minimal seaweed. I posted a couple of beach pics with this review. The swimming area that is roped off is monitored by life guards. Depending on the conditions it can get rough, the waves are a blast to jump in just do not wear your sunglasses, several pairs get lost daily. A great place to romp in the water for sure.

FLOATS
The blue foam floats are provided by the resort and they have signs posted around the pool discouraging "hogging" of the floats along with a daily statement in the Journal. Having the sign has helped a bit as it is complete with picture - well done VIM.

RESORT Layout
As said by others, this resort is lush and very jungle like and huge. But kept well manicured on the landscaped portions. The tree tops cover many of the walkways around the buildings and there are seeds or fruits that fall onto the walkways and staff is continually cleaning, pressure washing daily seemed to be one crews task to keep the walkways clean.
Have noticed a great improvement in signage around the resort. At key locations they have installed large maps for directions, much appreciated!

CONCIERGE

ONE TOUCH (in room phone system)
Love the "ONE Touch" system on the room phones for any services from room service to maintenance or bell hop needs. We had two room maintenance issues that needed attention and the Maintenance Staff showed up with minutes of the call, THEN a follow up call ensued from staff to ensure the issue was fixed to our satisfaction! Very impressive follow up service.

WIFI
The resort has enhanced their WiFi greatly. I still brought my Ethernet cable and used my laptop in the room. Worked well for me. The kids connected to WiFi with their phones and used those for internet etc.

SECURITY and Lost and Found
Inquired for Lost and Found through one of the Concierge Staff and found that Security has a good system for recording the turned in items. Confession time, the two items we thought we lost were at the back of our closets top shelf, way back, as I found them after as we were checking out. Good to know they are organized as I didn't seem to be!

Hints
If you have not already, sign up for the resorts loyalty Program "Family Member" early in your stay rather than wait till the last minute. The perks are very much worth registering. I intend to sign up pronto on my next visit.

Destination Wedding venue. This place does provide all of the elements for a perfect ceremony. Tip: my experience only as I got married at Easter many moons ago, don't get married during a holiday or Spring break, cause you will want to come down often to celebrate and will pay top dollar during the high seasons.

Take the bike tour, kayak tour, its a great way to find out more about the resort and interact with other guests and especially the Entertainment staff. The Spanish lessons are fun too and you will find many of the servers are happy to help you with some simple phrases if you ask.

If you take a trip off resort especially during the hotter season, bring along a bottle of water. I went to Playa del Carmen 3 times. Twice in the Collectivos - 20 peso each way from the side of the highway into Playa and the 3rd time via $25 US Taxi from the lobby area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
20  Thank Victoriabound

Dear returning VIM Guests from Victoria, Canadá

In the name of all Valentin resorts, receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our hotel.

We would first of all like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such detailed and enthusiastic review! We are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort once again.
As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom we are sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.

We cannot wait to welcome you back for the 6th time to spoil you and make you feel at home again.

Thank you so much!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I just got back from spending a week at this resort. It was the 2nd time that we had stayed at the Valentin and our first time was back in 2010. Some of the other reviewers had mentioned that the resort was starting to show it's age but we did not agree with that assessment. Here were our observations.

Food is excellent. Top shelf liquor. Great service in bars and restaurants. The service by the waiters and bartenders is really great. Unlike some resorts i've stayed at where the bartenders demand that you tip them or they will ignore you the next time you need something, these bartenders work extremely hard to make sure that you are happy. It's the way service should be where you feel that the person actually deserves a tip. Room service menu is great and food arrives quickly. We asked several times for things that were not on the menu and they accommodated us. Pool is large and kept up well. The activities staff is fun but not pushy and Rafael was really great. Our favorite bartender was Rigaberto who works in the sports bar at night. Beach is clean with ample seating. Swim area in ocean is large and free of rocks. Property is beautiful and well maintained. The maid service is great and they do a very thorough job of cleaning your room and organizing.

Cons
Air conditioning. We have never been to Mexico in August so this may be normal for this time of year but our air conditioning in our room did not get the room below 74F the entire stay. When you have been in the heat all day 74F just doesnt cool you down. We complained about it several times and they spent hours trying to fix it and no change happened. We also had a massive amount of tiny ants in our room that we complained about. They fumigated our room when we were at the pool and we had no issues with bugs after that. It's nice to have WiFi available in the room but it is very spotty. It would also be nice if they had a larger TV in the room. I think the TV was 24" and for a large room was very small.

Tips

Bring singles for tip money - you will want to tip when you see how great the service is.

Bring inflatable raft because there are not enough to go around

Men should bring at least several pair of long pants for dinner. They are strict about dress code. I was able to go to all of the restaurants with a nice pair of leather flip flops but they say that you need closed toe shoes/sandels

Don't bother getting reservations for hibachi. Ate there our last night and was not very good. The restaurant portion of Ginger has a much better menu and I felt that the food was much better.

Our favorite restaurant was the Italian. The beef medallions and caprice salad were very good.

Conclusion
We will probably go back a third time to this resort as we have absolutely loved the last 2 stays. The only reason that I cannot give this resort 5 stars is because I have been to other resorts which are a little nicer (Excellence also about $1000usd more per week) which I would give 5 stars. I will say that in the price range of this resort you will find none nicer.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade and get the silver category room. It's closer to the pool and restaurants and the rooms are very nice. Save your money and don't get the Emerald category. We had that the last time we stayed at this resort along with beach front room. You can't see the ocean from the room as there is a 100 foot deep tree line between the buildings and the ocean. The room was a little nicer than the silver room but not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Geoffrey L

Dear Geoffrey ,

In the name of all VIM, receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our hotel.

Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay at Valentin . We are very happy that you had the chance to enjoy most of all that we have to offer including our staff, beach and food etc...

We will also forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.

We would love to welcome you back for your3rd stay , in the meantime we send you our warmest regards.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Once again VIM did not disappoint. What a great resort. Food, service, beverages, and the resort are all top notch. We ate at all of the restaurants and all were exceptional. We really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant and the great sushi. The hotel employees will do all they can to make sure you have a great time. Everyone is great. The beach and the pool are wonderful and clean. This was our 14th trip, I think, and cannot wait to go back for our annual November trip.

Thanks to everyone who made this a great last escape before the end of summer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank footballdog

Dear returning Guests from Harrisburg, Pensilvania

We feel honored to have you back for your 14th visit! Every time our staff is not only happy to see you but we all try to pleased you and just pamper you in any possible way.

Your comments are very valuable for us and we hope to continue hosting you, your home in Mexico await for you all the time.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Third time here and we really are not the sort of people to revisit places BUT whenever we decide to travel to Mexico we aways seem to book this hotel. Yes we look around at others but then decide that we couldn't do any better as this really is a lovely adults only hotel.
Wonderful hotel with fantastic beach.
Lovely staff, lovely food. Would I go back again. Yes definitely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bear3977
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Annie from Hook ,

We thank you for your loyalty, we are honored to know that your enthusiasm for our Hotel and Service has not changed within the years and it is our pleasure to know that VIM keeps bringing some magic into your lives.

We cannot wait to welcome you back for the 4th time to spoil you and make you feel at home again.

Thank you so much!