“Wish I could have stayed longer”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wish I could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Beautiful resort, fantastic staff, good food and great friends, wish we could have stayed another week.

From the minute we arrived at the front door, the cool towel and cocktail until our final breakfast mimosa on our way out of town, it was paradise. Check in was smooth and fast we were able to check in way earlier than 3 pm. We were driven to our rooms with a quick tour of the grounds by Eduardo and he couldn't have been more helpful showing us all of the amenities in our rooms. The pool, beach and buffet staff bent over backwards to help everyone no matter what, they were delightful. I wish I could remember all of their names! Security even helped us find our rooms when we couldn't quite make it to the right building. :) Tania by the pool was our favorite, calling us by name everyday and even bringing a cake to the birthday girl in our group and singing Happy Birthday in Spanish to her! Fabulous! Yes you had to wait some nights at the restaurants but we sat in the courtyard and had some drinks while watching whatever musical entertainment was performing that evening, not really a tough wait.....had some really great food at the French, Indonesian (2x) , Japanese and Italian restaurants. Loved the shows every night, don't miss the Michael Jackson, Las Vegas or the Broadway shows. Vegas night in the courtyard was great fun except for the guests fighting over the fake money?? Really. The Daily Journals were left on your bed after housekeeping had finished cleaning, if not they were available at the concierge desk. These are a must for they tell you what restaurants are open that night, all of the pool activities, rainy day activities, trips to Cancun and Playa del Carmen, night time shows and movies. The activity staff went above and beyond there were so many daytime activities as well as at night. I will say that the lighting walking back to the rooms at night is not good and you need to stay to the better lighted paths or bring one of those keychain flashlights.

We went to celebrate a birthday, relax, spend time together and drink a little too much, all was accomplished. I hope to go back very soon!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
11 Thank bitofanut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,580)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed 4 March 2009

First of all, let me say that I am baffled by the poor reviews posted regarding this resort. My standards are not sky high, but as a frequent business traveler, I'd like to think that they are representative of common traveler expectations.

We stayed 6 nights/7 days in February, and in summary had a wonderful time. Here are thoughts on the different aspects of the resort::

[Grounds/Common Areas] Immaculate, spacious, and not forced. We constantly saw maintainance workers grooming the grounds, and trash (cups, butts, wrappers, etc) were not evident at any time. This resort is large, but not so large that it is cumbersome to navigate. Considering the constant supply of food and drink, a little walking is a good thing :).

[Pool/Beach] Both excelent! We frequented both the beach and pool areas, and other than the towel and floatie game, both areas were wonderful. On the beach, there are areas that are rocky, and there are areas that are sandy. We saw turtle tracks, iguana's, and shells on the rocky part, and we played in the waves on the sandy part. We even walked off resort and (to the north) and found beautiful, large conch shells that made the trip home :). The pool area is very big, and the water is fine temp-wise. One morning we got up at 6:am to catch the sunrise, and we took the opportunity to find a floatie and primo chairs for that day. When we did not do that, we still had no problems finding available chairs. Lots of activity/music/events at the main pool, try the tequila tasting or Texas Hold-em games @ noon! Beach or pool drink service is top notch, and the bartenders will make you what you want. Didn't notice the missing tiles, I was busy relaxing:)

[Food/Drinks] We enjoyed all the meals we had there, and rarely waited more than 10 minutes to be seated. Great presentation and attentive service, and we did not have any issues with water or digestive problems. The house red was OK, and some nights we just stayed with cocktails. Buffett was just OK, but their selection was great. Drinks generally are weak, but all you need to do is ask and they will make you a heater. Longest wait for a drink is in the Plaza at night, and that is minimal. We chose to tip when we received good service, which ended iup being most of the time. Just a buck or two will do, and you get the sense that it is really appreciated.

[Room] Immaculate and quiet, with comfy bed, controls for AC and lights by the bed, ipod clock, and flat screen TV. We were in a Golden Suite and it was roomy and tastefully decorated. We had turn-down service every night, and we recieved the daily event guide every day. The bathroom did not have any visible venting or fan, so it occasionally become humid in there.

[Entertainment] Decent. We checked out the entertainment most nights, and we had our favs. Others we just left and went to the sports bar or the plaza. Casino night, fire show, and Michael Jackson were enjoyable.

[Check-in/out] No issues here, quick and efficient with friendly staff and no suprises. Working with shuttle and tour folks can be a chore, but that is to be expected. We pre-purchased the airport shuttle and Tulum/Xel-ha tour, and that made things easier.

Final notes: When traveling out of the resort (tours, shuttles, etc), be prepared for long travel times. Many times the busses/shuttles stop at several resorts to pick up guests, so it can take a while to get to where you are going. Walk or bike around the resort - there really is a lot to see! Weather was 80-85 daily, maybe down to 70 at night. Really we did not find much at fault here, and we had a great time. I guess some people have trouble relaxing?

8 Thank QuackrBackr
MD
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We stayed at the Valentin Maya from the 27th through March 3rd. Upon arrival your greeted with champagne and a warm wet towel. We arrived around 2PM and as our room wasn't quite ready we headed to lunch and enjoyed a nice buffet. After our room was ready we quickly were checked in and golf-carted down to building 9. We were on the 2nd floor but the view was terrible as the palm trees blocked everything but two small corners where you could barely get a glimpse of the ocean. If I had to go again I would have booked a swim up suite instead. The room was great, no complaints and always kept clean with nice turn down service. All staff were friendly and helpful and yes, they appreciate tips. I know it's all inclusive but you STILL TIP FOR GOOD SERVICE. It seems most don't agree with me as they quickly made their escape when the waiter wasn't looking, you think they were feeling guilty? I do. Enough on my rant. As others have said the walks, especially from the oceanfront buildings, are far too long, and they are very, very dark at night. We dined at the Italian (ok, small portions, waiter couldn't figure out how to open our champagne bottle), to the Steak house, very good, but service and table locations not so great, to the Japanese (we ate their twice, great food, great service, our favorite). Try the Tuna appetizer, shrimp soup, pork chop (yes that's right) and the sea bass. It was all good, no disappointments at all. The resort had a lot of older couples and many young as well, overall a nice mix. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. One thing I wish people would do is observe the dress code a bit more, showing up at a French restaurant with a ball cap, t shirt, shorts and sandals is a bit insulting to those patrons that took the time to respect the code...Would I stay again, probably not, however, it was a nice experience but I will try something else next time.

9 Thank whaler23
KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We have recently returned from a week at Valentin. We had a good time (as we always do). I’ll pass along a few observations.

The FACILITY is very nice, including: public rooms; guest rooms; grounds; lobby; pool areas; landscaping etc..

The RESTAURANTS and FOOD were very good—quantity and quality. Do plan to wait more than an hour, unless you arrive at the time the restaurants open.

The STAFF was very nice—pleasant, warm, friendly, polite, and always tried to be helpful.

The BEACH is one of the nicest in this area. There was only one drowning at the hotel during our stay, but you will want to be careful of the somewhat rough sea.

WARNING DO NOT pay more than $1,000 USD extra per week for an Ocean Front Room. It is not worth even $50 extra per week. If you travel thousands of miles to go to an ocean front resort you probably want to look at the ocean. NOT HERE!. The Ocean Front rooms have a thick forest between the rooms and the ocean, so all you see are trees from your room. What a classic rip off. Why don’t they tell you that you can’t see anything but trees from you Ocean Front room.

WARNING They have what they call the Valentin PRIVILEGE arrangement at $100 extra per day ($700 USD per week). DO NOT, absolutely DO NOT pay for this “privilege”. There is virtually nothing to it, and it would not be worth even $10 per day. This is a scam—a way to extract more money from the guests without adding any value.

This was supposed to include PRIVILEGE Check In. The person who checked us in had been with the hotel for one month and didn’t know anything about the hotel. There was zero value to the “privilege” check in.

PRIVILEGE was supposed to include upon arrival in your room: fresh flowers; basket of fruit; bottle of champagne; beach bag; and other items. NONE of these were in the room. We later called about them and they arrived while we were at dinner. Flowers were like Wal-Mart--$5, Champagne was to cheap to drink, beach bag was like Wal-Mart $5; and I’m not sure what we were supposed to do with the fruit, since fruit was available at meals and at room service. We just put it outside the room.

PRIVILEGE included Premium Bar Service in the room. I thought all of the alcohol at the hotel was “premium”. We only drank the Vodka, and when the bottle was gone they wanted $60 for a second bottle (worth around $15).

PRIVILEGE included a Privilege lounge. There was a large lounge. There was NEVER anyone in the lounge (staff or guests), and there was nothing in the lounge (drinks, snacks, or anything).

The only value we could see to PRIVILEGE was that it included an opportunity to make restaurant reservations. On two out of the first four nights when we made reservations, the restaurants didn’t have the reservation, and apparently had not even heard of the PRIVILEGE package. Embarrassing, inconvenient, unpleasant, and a poor start that should have been a nice evening.

Management needs to visit the close by Grand Princess. We stayed there a year ago. They have a PLATINUM arrangement similar to Valentin’s PRIVILEGE, and it really does provide some “privileges”, plus, it costs less. It includes everything Valentin is supposed to include, plus: private pool; private beach area; real butler service; private lounge with butler, bartender, appropriate snacks at all times of day, liquor, and on and on; massage; breakfast served in private lounge (as well as room service at all times, of course); premium miniature bottles of whatever you want in your room and as many as you want every day; and too many more perks to count. A real PRIVILEGE at Grand Princess.

Actually, it was difficult to find ANYONE at Valentin who knew anything about the PRIVILEGE arrangement. Apparently, it had just been “re-started” and wasn’t really operational. We were apparently one of only two couples who had bought the PRIVILEGE during our stay. I guess what really is upsetting is that management (not that anyone ever viewed management) didn’t seem to care. They didn’t offer a refund of the $700, or a partial re fund, or even an apology for, as it is said, ripping us off.

LASTLY, if you go to a resort such as this and think you might want to swim in the pool, forget it. The water was so cold that there was virtually nobody ever in the pool. Swim up bar? Forget it—too cold and nobody ever used it. Also, plan on staking out your pool lounges at sunup, or you will be too late.

BOTTOM LINE Rooms, service, food, and facilities all nice. Ocean Front room with no view and getting scammed on PRESTIGE package were real downers. I would not recommend hotel because of these concerns.

10 Thank GRTN
Surrey, BC
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Let me start by explaining my expectations of an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. I don't expect perfection from a place that charges you something like $800 (Canadian) after airfare for a pretty nice room, all you can eat and drink for a week, and also provides professional entertainment. But Valentin is perfect for the money. I went for sun, relief from a terrible Vancouver winter, relaxation, no worries, and passable food. My expectations were exceeded.

The resort is quite spread out, which I saw as a virtue. The buildings are low (2 and 3 storeys) and often screened by trees and shrubs. As the resort is fairly new, the vegetation will look even better in a few years, although they did put in some fairly substantial palm trees. The public spaces are pleasant without being spectacular, which goes for the inside of the restaurants as well. The rooms, however, are very well done. We were in building 1 and 14 and both were quite beautiful, with our preference being building 14. It had a nice room, couch, spacious shower, and a huge jacuzzi with mirrored doors on two sides. Very private. Were were separated from the beach by a screen of shrubs, which gave us privacy but allowed us to hear the ocean. Each room has a well maintained bar fridge with beer, soft drinks and water. The room were cleaned to a fairly high standard.

Breakfast and lunch is served in two areas, both buffets at lunch and one of each at breakfast. The quality of the food was great. I can't think of what I might want for breakfast that they didn't have. There were also some interesting Mexican options. Lunch was even better. Fillet of grouper, salmon, tuna or skewers of scallops grilled for you on the spot. Steak or chicken breast if you wanted. The mussels were also very popular. Great guacamole and lots of fruit and vegetables. The ice cream is made at the resort and were very good, particularly the vanilla and coconut, as were the pastries. Service varied between competent and very good at breakfast and lunch.

Dinner is at a variety of restaurants, not all of which are necessarily open every night. We ate at the French (twice), Italian, Steak, Lobster, Mexican, and a Mexican Buffet they had one night. My experience in Mexico leads me to expect that the food is not going to be completely authentic, especially in Japanese and Asian restaurants, so we skipped those. The French was creditably French, and the Italian passably Italian. More like American French and Italian restaurants from the 60' and 70's than anything. However, the quality of the food is very good. Desserts are the weak point of all the restaurants. I found the breakfast and lunch pastries better than the evening desserts. Portions of all dishes are smallish, but you can order more if you want. My wife asked for more scalloped potatoes and spinach one night, and a big helping was there very quickly. Wine: the house whites are better than the reds, and both are in plentiful supply. The quality of the champagne will surprise you. We ordered from the wine menu on three nights. Reasonably good choice, but be prepared to pay almost North American restaurant prices. There is a dress code, which I liked, but it isn't enforced as far as I could see, which I also liked. It's your choice how you want to look. The huge majority, especially women, were smartly dressed. Service at the evening restaurants was very good. Not over attentive, but anything you wanted was there quickly.

A possible downside of the restaurants that many mention is that when you arrive much after the restaurant is open, you are given a buzzer/pager and told to come back when it buzzes and flashes, anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes later. I quite liked the system. We'd go off to the Plaza, get a drink and watch the entertainment until buzzed. If that's difficult for you, perhaps go some place else.

The beach is beautiful, but with only a small area where you can swim. The swimming area can get strong currents but it is free from rock and coral. There are three beach areas where you can relax. The swimming area is the biggest, with the most palapas, yet it's also the most difficult place to get a palapas. The other two are smaller, with palapas easier to gt, even at mid day. Two of the areas have beach bars. Great staff there and great fruit cocktails, even if you have them without alcohol. Beer and water you can pick up almost anywhere.

Service is very good. The vast majority of the staff respond very well to you. A couple of the older and/or newer staff struggled a little with English, but their English was always way better than my Spanish. And I always ended up with what I wanted. The concierge staff are fabulous. A couple of times they really went out of their way to find out some information or get help for us. Our first interaction with the reception desk wasn't great, neutral, rather than bad. But later on, it improved. I tipped a lot, mainly $1 but occasionally up to $5 in the evening. I didn't expect-or get-- better service, but it helped my conscience as most of the workers earn a very low minimum wage.

Evening entertainment was quite varied between events in the Plaza and shows in the theatre. The musical groups were very good and the entertainment was good. Excellent dancing and Michael Jackson is a hoot, even although I'm not an MJ fan.

I'd go back in a flash, especially now when prices seem to be lower than comparable places because Valentin is still relatively new. I did overhear a few complaints from a very few people. Some of the complaints were ridiculous and others were mountains out of molehills. Such complaints might be valid if you were paying a fortune for outright luxury. But the Valentin gives a great deal for, what to me at least, is a very reasonable sum.

5 Thank Meigle
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We actually stayed here in July of 2008, but I hadn't written a review yet. I hope the information provided isn't dated too much. We got a great deal as it is a newer place trying to get a clientele base, not sure what the prices will be once the dust settles.

We found this hotel to be EXCELLENT!! I have stayed in many resorts in the Yucatan as well as in the Caribbean and South East Asia, so have a lot to compare it to.

The hotel was only about 25% full when we went there and it seemed like you were almost alone the entire time. I proposed to my (now) wife there, and had arranged for a surprise banner when we entered the room. The hotel management really went over the top and had flower petals al over the place, spelling out her name and that I loved her in Spanish. They had a chilled bottle of champagne on the table and soft mariachi music on in the background. I still get brownie points for this, so am forever in the debt of the hotel management for making it so special.

Grounds/Room
Great new hotel, the buildings are a ways from each other but we really enjoyed the 5 minute walk to dinner from our room. There are shuttles if you are mobility impaired (or just lazy as was the case with us a couple of times after taking a 2nd helping of dinner). The pool is huge and has a ton of loungers around, although only some of them have shade and are at a premium. We had no problem getting our pick of chairs though and don't foresee this as an issue even if the hotel was closer to capacity. The room was large and had a balcony. The only tiny issue was that the shower tended to leak on the floor and we had to put a towel down to avoid slipping on the marble floor.... if this is enough to ruin a vacation for you though, it is likely best to stay home.

Beach
The beach was great and did not suffer from the erosion you see farther down the coast. It was far superior to the El Cid beach which is another resort nearby that I had stayed in previously. Again, there were a ton of loungers to be had. The best swimming is a little to the left side when you come off the boardwalk from the hotel, it is roped off and there aren't many rocks on the bottom at all... I gave up wearing my reef shoes after the first couple of times and had no issues. This isn't directly protected by a reef unline a lot of places like Cuba, so be prepared for some waves and it being rough on a few days if there is a storm coming in. We enjoyed playing in the waves and body surfing for hours on end!

There are a lot of restaurants, and they revolve which ones are closed on a given night. There is a hotel newsletter dropped in your room every day which outlines what is open and what activities are on. Unlike a lot of places you can eat in the al la cartes every night, which we did. We especially enjoyed the grilled seafood platter at the beach restaurant, and the ambiance at the fancy French one right near the lobby. We ate at the main buffet every breakfast and enjoyed things like pancakes made to order. For lunch we generally went to the beach restaurant for a burger/grilled chicken. We tried the pool bar/restaurant once and weren't too happy as they don't prepare it there and simply make it in one of the restaurants and put saran wrap on it to transport it to you. It took a long time and the food was always soggy from being sealed while hot.

Minuses
Wearing long pants to every dinner meal as is required got to be a pain when on vacation. It was summer and evenings were still really hot. I can see this for the raelly nice French place, but I think dressy walking shorts and a collared short sleeve shirt would be fine for the rest.

As noted above, the food at the pool restaurant/bar. Stick with nice fruity drinks there and you can't go wrong.

If you want nightlife, go to Cancun or Playa... this is a quiet place with only a small town nearby. They did do shuttles into Cancun with the staff if you were interested, we weren't. This wasn't a minus for us, but I put it there for folks who have that expectation. The entertainment crew was hit and miss like you find in most of these resorts.

Pluses
Fiance got some sort of allergic reaction and hadn't brought an epi-pen with her. We called the front desk for a doctor as we got a little paniced. They have a doctor on staff who lives at the hotel (he is shared between a few in the area but resides at the Valentin). He was there in literally about 3 minutes as his room was almost directly below us, it was really comforting to have him nearby after that scare.

No children. We aren't against children at all, but when you aren't travelling with them yourself, it is nice to have a huge pool and beach without kids running around yelling. In the past staying in a room right near the pool was bad due to noise, that was not the case here.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Provost2
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My husband and I went to Mexico for our 1st year anniversary!!! We stayed at the Riu in Cancun for 3 days and 5 at the Valentin Imperial...we were very disappointed with the Riu. Service was bad, food was mediocore, and drinks were house liquors.
At the Valentin Imperial, drinks were top shelf....the restaurants were excellent..no reservations needed!! at most 10 minute wait...the resort was gorgeous...pool was huge....beach was beautiful...our room was spacious we slept on a tempurpedic bed very relaxing!! and pillows to order If you want a romantic vacation with excellent food, great drinks...and great service the Valentin Imperial is the way to go!!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!