“Needs complete makeover”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Salisbury
Köln
“Needs complete makeover”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We booked this place based on the good reviews. Unfortunately we made different experiences. The place is run down, needs a complete makeover. The ceilings are full of mould, the room smelled of it, the blanket was dirty, the bathroom as well. The staff was not very friendly or helpful. Restaurant and bar are closed on Tuesdays. Breakfast is okay. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank majaro

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boquete, Panama
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I thought this would be a good location for exploring this part of Dominica but the location is not convenient to anything and the services not up to par for the rest of the island. The "international" feel of this place interprets to lots of smokers, no privacy and forget about ice! Meals were good with local food at night and a typical German breakfast but with fruit in the morning. Owners were not particularly interested in pleasing customers and that was especially shocking on an island where the locals bent over backwards to be helpful to guest. I would encourage tourists to stay elsewhere and support the local economy and it's great hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dancelessons
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I just returned from a 5 night stay in Dominica in which my friend and I stayed at the Tamarind Tree. The owners are great and very helpful. They will set up tours and such. I didn't notice till I checked out but they even have laundry services and internet services as well if needed...something I stay away from on vacation though!

My friend and I did one tour that they booked for us and I hate to say it but it was not very good. It was that of the north coast going to the Emerald Pool, the Carib Territory, lunch at the Easy Spot on the river, and finishing the day with a boat ride on the Indian River. It wasn't their fault. The driver tried but this tour was not comparable to the awesome tour we had done the day before.

The restaurant there is very good. I enjoyed the two dinners in which the food was awesome. I do enjoy the Kubuli beer that they had. The breakfast is continental and isn't much. It provides bread, fruit/jams, cheese, and you can request cooked eggs. I only ate breakfast one time while I stayed there. I did like the ambiance there at the restaurant and the owners do chat with you and it was a nice way to hang out with some of our neighboring guests.

The rooms are small but you really don't need much more room. They are adequate and were very clean. The bathroom is a nice size with a large shower. We stayed on the first floor. The view is absolutely amazing and you can get some really awesome sunset pictures overlooking the ocean. There is no air condition on the first floor but we really didn't need it. I was hot only one night but not too bad. There is a ceiling fan but the one in our room didn't work that fast. There are also ceiling fans out on the porch area and they work sufficiently. Don't leave any food out on the tables outside of the room or in your room or you will find a trail of ants...lol!

The pool is nice. I used it once and it was refreshing. It's something I did think about using again when I did get hot. There are lounge chairs laid out on the grounds as well.

This place is very peaceful. Believe me when I say that the owners make sure it is peaceful. You do not want to come here to make a bunch of noise for sure. My friend and I had a visitor that came by in which we met on a diving trip and it was not welcomed very well I guess because he was male and the two of us female. It was emphasized that if he were going to the restaurant it would be okay but not to hang out by the room and he had to leave by 9pm. I was told though that it was for our safety and it was a little bothersome but not a major deal at all.

The East Caribe dive shop is within walking distance. Be careful walking down the hill though when you go. The food there at that restaurant is really really great! I forgot her name but the cook is awesome and she took great care of all of us as well. It was nice hanging out there after the dives on both the two days that we went. Harald is great! He is the dive instructor there and I really enjoyed everything about those two days that we spent there!!!

There is not anything else within walking distance really at all; but my friend and I had no problem crossing the street and getting on the van taxi to Roseau to go to the Sav-a-lot to get groceries, walk around town, and visit the market. There was no problem getting back to the taxi vans there either. You just specify that you are going to Salisbury and tell there to drop you off at the hotel. It was $7 US each way which is a huge savings as the taxis are expensive here.

A couple that was on our dive excursion stayed at the Stonedge Hotel. The owners there are really nice and I can say that the tour that they gave us was extremely economical and done very well. That was our best day in Dominica. He took us to the market. Then we went to a Catholic church where we went snorkeling in the bubbles of hot spots and cool spots out front. We proceeded on to Scotts Head Pinnacle where we went snorkeling as well and ended the day going to Trafalgar Falls which was the extreme adventure! He stopped at a bar in Mero Beach on the way back treating us to drinks, johnny cakes, fish cakes, and then back to the Stonedge for drinks/eats as well. He also picked us up from the hotel and dropped us off as well. We only paid $24 US for all this!!!!!! Unbelievable!!! There were six of us as well as him and his child. What an awesome day! There is the extra $5 for getting into the falls as well. Awesome day with a great group of people!

All in all this trip was awesome. The hotel is really nice if you want to get away from it all. Very very relaxing! For me, 5 nights were perfect. I wouldn't have wanted to stay shorter or longer. The rooms have 2 twin beds in them that are pushed right next to each other. At least this was our room. My friend and I had no problem. Very very clean room. There is a refrigerator, nice closet space, table with two chairs and nice Dominica reading materials. Outside of the room is a table with two chairs in which you will enjoy the most awesome view!

Dominica was great!

Room Tip: I was told air conditioned rooms are on the second level.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kts70281
Eichenau, Germany
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Tamarind hotel, restaurat and services are excellent for the value. Have in mind that on Dominica services in a hotel a very different from US Standard So, a Swiss and German couple do there very best to serve guests on the highest level. Theier staff is friendly and helpful. Food is really not expensive and tasteful. Rooms with air conditions have a million dollar view. Dominica is the best places where I have been on my over 50 trips around the world. We will come back because here we have found everthing we need and we have wished for vacations. The owners are very helpful in planing tours. Tamarind is the best place to stay in Dominica comparing prices and services and location. This place and the island is the best in world. There is no other nature island I would prefer. And there a no nasty animals like poisioned snakes or really dangerous other objects to be afraid of. So, nature can be explored without being afraid ... except some mosquitos. But these are much much less as for example on the Bahamas.

Room Tip: Budget travellers a very fine with standard rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank holger_maerz
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The Tamarind Tree hotel is a wonderful place. We can recommend this hotel and the owners and staff to everybody. In Dominica it is difficzlt to stay in hotels because most ob the basics services are missing. tamarind are on eof the few one with good service and restaurant. The owners -Annette and Stefan - are even after 13 years of operation very helpful to all guests. They support to get arounfd on this exciting island which is unique in the world.

Salisbury and the whole island is one of the last parisises in the world. We really support the tamarind people because they do eco-hoteling at it best. They offer torus and services you will not get somerwhere else in the area. The hotel is strategically very good situated between the bigger places of Portmouth and Roseau.

There are not many places and hotels like this anymore in the world

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank colihaut
malaysia
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Staff is friendly, but the room & bath room is dirty. Hopefully will keep it clean!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank jezzlpp
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 October 2010

A warm and personal attention is guaranteed in this family run middle class hotel on top of a cliff. The view from the big terrace in front of the rooms to the the caribbean sea and Salisbury is magnificent. Two beaches nearby, a hidden valley to explore, watch the birds and take a refreshing swim in the river just across the street. If you look for a very quiet hotel with a friendly team who arranges all sort of excursions and activities for you, if you like watching hummingbirds while enjoying breakfast with homemade jellys of local fruits, this is the place to stay. One point is to say: you have to love dogs since the family owns three (clean) dogs.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pia_6203
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salisbury
Secret Bay
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
Manicou River
Manicou River
#3 of 4 in Portsmouth

Been to The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!