“fell in love with this secluded quiet property”

Rhodes Beach Resort Negril
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Green Island
Canada
“fell in love with this secluded quiet property”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We just returned from a week in the Pelican Cottage at Rhodes Hall Plantation. This is OUR idea of a R&R vacation. We wanted to be able to cook alittle for ourselves this time around. We wanted to feel more like we were at our cottage not a resort. We have been to Jamaica about 12 times, and other islands over the years. This time we wanted more of a home feel than a resort.

The owners of the property and Resort are on site everyday, they work each and everyday. We are business owners as well, and we both agreed that they know what type of property they wanted to build, and who their target customers are! Equally, they will not apologize if you booked the wrong vacation. Nor should they. I must say that any website I have ever looked at always looked far better and made promises that weren't kept. The Rhodes website I believe sells itself short. We were pleasantly surprised to find it much nicer and I cannot emphasize enough the tranquility of the property that cannot be translated into words.

I cannot stress enough that this is not everyone's idea of a vacation in Jamaica or elsewhere. The passion that the owners bring to this resort is evident, and I hope that anyone wondering if this is a good place for their vacation will read my comments and decide for themselves before booking, and becoming disappointed with their choice.

So with that in mind, I am going to begin with who this does not target. Hopefully you will read my review, and decide it is not for you, and you can have the vacation you are trying to achieve, which ultimately is all of our goals! Both of us LOVED this property, as well the people who operate and work here; and want like minded people to fall in love with it as well.

This is a SECLUDED property, far enough from Negril, you will need to make arrangements for a taxi. The resort provides drivers, at a cost, and it will require booking them in advance. So if being on/close to 7 mile beach is important, this may disappoint you.

This is a QUIET property. You will have activities as suggested on their website that you can sign up for, but otherwise, you will not find dancing singing entertainment in the evening. (As of our visit) in case this changes in the future....:)

If WIFI and TV is important to you, this may disappoint you as well. The WIFI is scattered, and TV very very limited. Again, if you wish to be attached to your laptop, etc, this will be disappointing to you.

This is a very small resort, I believe 26 rooms. If a huge buffet or many choices of food at your disposal, is high on your list, this is not the resort for you. If you expect your food to be ready within minutes, I will again say, move on, this is not the place for you.

If the idea of a rooster waking you up in the morning, or the sounds and sights of Peacocks hanging around bothers you, then please do not book here.

water pressure was on the low side of my liking, but didn't change my experience!

If you are still with me at this point, welcome to what might be your future home away from home! Dave and I can't explain to you enough how amazing it is to sit on the deck with the beach feet away from you sipping on your morning Blue Mountain Coffee. Listening and watching the birds, listening to the ocean, and chatting with our new friends we met on this trip! It was followed by snorkling in an amazing coral reef, sunning ourselves along the pool, a leisurely lunch (slow slow slow process, but oh worth the wait), laughing with friends in the afternoon, seeing and doing an activity provided by the property. I personally enjoyed the caves.
Meeting up with everyone for the unbelievable sunset. Our evening meal which again well worth the lengthy wait, but your busy chatting up with everyone, so the time goes by. The evening you are either in town for a bit, or in bed early so you can do it all over again!

Enjoy your vacation!

Cheryl and Dave

Room Tip: We thought the rooms were all well located, however, if you are looking for ocean front, the cottage...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cherie1691

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The people at Rhodes really know how to take care of their guests. Spent a week relaxing and enjoying the well appointed accommodations and plethora of leisure activities. The reef which is a short swim from the beach kept me busy every day as I snorkeled in the morning. They even run a shuttle to and from Negril beach which is very nice considering that it is not especially close (20 minutes). The food quality was excellent and I recommend all of the seafood dishes in particular. My only concern with the whole experience was the food and beverage staff's inconsistent hours for each meal and their unpreparedness for even moderate sized parties.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank David S
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Waking up to peacocks outside our door was lovely. Petting the local cats and laughing at the roosters strutting around the property was a ball. The grounds here are fantastic and the reef is gorgeous. My boyfriend and I both worked on dive boats in the past so I can tell you this is a wonderful snorkel/dive site. Fan corals are in pristine condition; reef fish are small close to shore, but colorful and plentiful; larger corals are healthy and undamaged.

The staff at the resort are friendly and helpful. Jefferson in the front office did so much to make our vacation great and Sue was quick to help out in our room.

If you are looking for a Sandal's sort of all-inclusive vacation, this is not it. But, if you are looking for a nice room with a naturally Eden-like setting, you'll be perfectly happy here.

I did not include the Bayview Restaurant on the property in this review, as it would have changed the tone of it. I'll make a separate review for it.

Get your food at the local grocery to cook or head into one of the nearby local towns for a good Jamaican meal.

I would recommend this for travelers who like to get off the beaten path.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FloridaSCUBAGirl
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Great laid back location. I can not say enough good things about this place. Clean rooms, 500 acres, private beach, horse back riding and actually swimming with the horses! Great food, snorkeling, bamboo bonfires. It was heaven. My son's wedding could not have been more beautiful!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Debbie S
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 January 2014

A rainy day in Jamaica is better than good day in the States . . . especially at Rhodes Resort. My wife and I just came back from our 4th trip there in the past 2 years. There's are several reason's we keep coming back. Beautiful resort, great people (Thank you David and Marcelle!), peaceful and quaint, just to name a few. From Jefferson (office Mgr) to Theresa (housekeeping) to Delroy (man of MANY hats) and Wayne (resort Driver), this place never disappoints. How's the turtle doing Marcelle? Thanks to all for another fantastic stay, can't wait til our next visit!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sunshine cottage (Palm room), great balcony with beautiful water views, plenty of s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jiml131
North Scituate, Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Hi Anita,We are in detroit right now but I wanted to send this to you so you could read it, again still just a draft.....I miss it there already....Love and kisses to all.....MichelleThis is the second part of my review.......Lets recap first, before I came I read the reviews-some good some bad.  This was a surprise birthday trip for my husband who I have NEVER been able to surprise!!!! When booking I let them know that I wanted all inclusive (which ìs an average price for any resort) and that i did not want my husband to hear the word money! Once the office received my email they immediately informed the restaurant (there is just one restaurant), and Anita (restaurant manager) was extremely quick to email me to find out what we would like to drink so that they could stock it and favorite things I might think that I would want....She also informed me that I had a lobster dinner that she would set up as a private candle light dinner for two...Well, all of this was to good to be true when hearing it, so the test came when we got there.....Are driver, yes, our driver: Wayne, found us at the airport, brought us right to our room door...This room was great! A perfect view of the ocean and sun sets!!!!!!  Right in front of the pool which holds a combination of sea water and mineral water. The atmosphere here is one I dont believe you will find in many places in the world!!!!The menu here is a set menu, one of the reviews said it was a limited menu, it is not limited it is set, meaning the menu never changes, but, if you want to try the restaurants menu (my husband and I tried everything on the menu) it may not sounds or look like back at home (wherever home may be) but trust me, being an italian and used to great tasting food, the chef's here are out of this world, we did not have one bad meal, everything was delicious.  Chef Marvin, O'Jay and Aldo have talents that are beyond good!!!!!There are many ways to rate a resort, most are from people who right reviews for a living and rate on the majority of what THEY think people will like as far as technology, quickness,  and professionalism.   Here is my personal review, if you are looking to spend quality time together in a surrounding of being in a Jamaican community,  slowing down to the speed of Jamaica (lets face it, thats why we come), with no rush what so ever, book you activities on site with no time frames, just tell them when and you will go, whether it be 10 people or two...We did the horse back riding (I have been riding, showing and training all of my life and would do this ride everytime I come) this was the VERY first time that I swam with a horse!!!! We had a private ride (no extra cost) a private tour of caves (which was great) and snorkeling....The staff is so friendly that they sit and talk with you like you are there next door neighbors......There is wildlife all around and some come and hang out in the morning while you have your breakfast....If you want night life or a hustle and bustle place, this is not it but just ask and they will take you to those spots and pick you up...Our driver Wayne stayed with us and brought us to great spots!!! I rate this spot a 4++ star not for the amenities (limited technology here) but for the great accommodating staff, the tranquility of the location, the feel of being home and safe with just enough neibors,  the FANTASTIC VIEWS, SUNRISES AND SUNSETS...I would love to thank the staff:Chef Marvin, O'Jay and AldoJanet our night restaurant waitress and bar tenderJefferson DelRoyShaniseDave and his wife MarciWayneO'ShaneAnd last but certainly not least, A HUGE thank you to Anita for making this an excellent trip and attention to detail!!!! Our private candle light dinner was incredible!!!! Per my husband "it was something right out of a magazine!!!!!!"Thank you all for making our trip wonderful, oh, by the way, for the first time my husband was so surprised and enjoyed himself emmencely!!!!!! We are making this an annual trip for the 2 of us!!!!!!!

Sincerely,Michelle Fiske

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Michelle C
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is not a resort for those who like large crowds. If you want a true Jamaican Vacation, this is the place to go. The food is excellent, as well as the service. See Dione or Janet to get what you want. Jefferson and Delroy will make your Jamaica experience all the better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
#7 of 81 in Negril
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 81 in Negril

Been to Rhodes Beach Resort Negril? Share your experiences!