“Not very child friendly”

Edensor Tea Cottage
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Edensor
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Edensor Tea Cottage is a licence cafe and tea rooms in the village of Edensor on the Chatsworth Estate, serving breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. We are open daily apart from Christmas Day and take reservations for breakfast or lunch. We also have rooms available for private parties. Our food is always freshly cooked and wherever possible using local ingredients from the Chatsworth Estate or Derbyshire.
York, England, United Kingdom
“Not very child friendly”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We went with my in laws and our toddler, and while the service was OK and the food was interesting enough, there was no apparent baby seats, no children's menu and no baby changing facilities. As my child is 2.5 and eats too much to just share ours we ended up having to order an expensive sandwich, knowing he would only eat half of it and not touch the fancy trimmings. An option to order half sandwiches or similar for kids and some baby changing in the large toilet with enough space to accommodate it would be really nice.
Also don't bother with the hot chocolate, mine was pretty flavourless. I probably should have complained and had some more chocolate out in it, but I was too busy with my toddler!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Beth B
Sam T, Owner at Edensor Tea Cottage, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Thanks for reviewing your visit to the Tea Rooms.
We are able to offer any item on the menu in half portions for children - apologies if you were not made aware of this at the time and we do have two high chairs available for our younger customers.
with regard to the baby changing facilities, these have now been installed following feedback such as yours.

• Indonesian first
crisjansonpiers@googlemail.com
“Agree, must try harder”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I agree with the August reviewer about "must try harder", time has moved on now and that should have been time to correct any faults or to be able to standardise service.

I decided to write as soon as we left the tea room.

I am a very polite and professional reviewer and I always give credit where it's due, so here it is.....
A lovely, quaint tea room, with nice food and a lovely cuppa in a beautiful village on the Chatsworth estate.

After spending the day there as photographers catching sights and recording some beautiful images of the deer and Edensor village and church itself we decided to take tea in the tea room.

As stated above all good, but the service we received was very poor.....it wasn't busy as it was mid day this Friday, we were left unattended as we walked in and with no acknowledgement off the young man at the counter albeit he was serving a paying customer, a welcome smile and "Be with you in a minute!" Wouldn't have gone a miss.

I had to ask another young gentleman if there were any more seats as the front of shop was full and one side totally shut off. There was a nice rear room where we got seated.

Questions were answered, like "Where are your toilets please", but with an air of it was a lot of effort to answer and a very straight answer it was again with no smile or customer connection.

On leaving, we were not spoken to either as in a "Thank you", "See you again" or "Have a nice day".

What I will say is, if there was another tea room in the village you may have very stiff competition. I am not being nasty but just truthful and customer services cost nothing.

It wont stop me from visiting the estate or Edensor again but next time maybe we will take a flask and sandwiches??

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank eliteviewer
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Very good soup”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We visited Edensor Tea Cottage on a sunnt, autumnal day in October. We arrived at the Cottage around 1pm for lunch but without a reservation we could not have an inside table. As the weather was sunny and dry (albeit cold) we opted for soup and a sandwich but sat at an outside table. The food (particularly the soup) was very good but the cold temperatures meant that our hot drinks became too cold to finish - not the fault of the tea room but something to take into account if eating outside in the cold weather.
If we want to deat here again we would probably take th erecaution of booking in advance although this can be a little difficult if planning to eat at the end of a walk.

• Visited October 2012
“Wonderful visit just on small baby size moan!”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We very much enjoyed our visit to the tea rooms yesterday, the location is perfect and allows just a long enough stroll from Chatsworth and back.

The staff could not have been more helpful, I am a new Mum and accommodating a push chair is not always possible, but we were shown to a room that had ample space which was very much appreciated and didn't feel like this was any trouble at all. We were warm and cosy and the atmosphere was wonderful.

The menu is extensive, catering for all tastes. The tea and obviously lovingly home made scones were beautiful and I must point out that my cold drink was extra cold, simply perfect for a thirst quencher. We will be making a point of visiting again on our next visit to my Dads.

Now for my small gripe, my five month old Daughter is not fussy when it comes to picking her toilet moments, but unfortunately there were no changing facilities, or were there? I admit I did not ask and I may stand corrected as I have read on here that there is an inside disabled toilet, which may well house a pull down changing surface? If not then I really do think that the outside toilets offer enough space for a wall mounted changing table, just makes life a little easier.

Anyway, we loved our visit all the same, keep up the good work and see you again soon.

bakewell
“Wonderful Tea Rooms”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Great coffee, lovely home made food, wonderful atmosphere and the staff could not be more helpful. We eat here at least once a week, sometimes with our 3 young girls sometimes just the two of us. They could not be more accommodating with the children!

• Visited September 2012