“Gyros at the gates of Hell .”
Review of The Mad Greek

The Mad Greek
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Baker
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Literally at the edge of death valley Ca .... there is this little oasis that offers Greek food . I have been eating here for 2-3 years since we found it and sometimes travel to CA . I have read lots of mixed reviews , but , me being from NY , I find that the Gyro is really good . A bit pricey , but it's in the desert ..... they do offer commercial drivers a discount with your CDL, and have a loyalty card that they punch when you go there . Also, be patient , mostly Spanish folks in there , and like today yes you to death and don't do as you ask them . But it is still worth it . We order 2 Gyro plates, and take 2 on the road for the next day . Also , check out the baklava and other sweets !!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We were passing through on a motorcycle trip to Death Valley and when we arrived in baker California we saw bikes parked here. This place was way better than we expected in the middle of the desert. Check it out. Real Greek food!! Great desserts!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were passing through Baker, saw the restaurant and decided to try it. You order at the counter and they bring to your table. We had the souvlaki and a gyro. Both meals were very good and contained plenty of food at a good price. The tzatziki was different than we have had at Greek restaurants at home, but was good. I couldn’t resist trying the baklava shake. Loved it. Not much for atmosphere, but enjoyed the food. I am glad we stopped to try it.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Mad Greek may not be the best food in the world [we only stopped for a snack] but it's good to find a place with a smile on its face whether off the Interstate or, as we were, on the dreary north/south hike. It's clean, lively and fun with friengly and efficient service. Plenty of parking for RV's too

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in Vegas and my Wife had never been to California. So just to say she had been we took a drive down I-15 looking for a place for lunch. We were looking for something a little more upscale but it had been years since I took the drive and forgot that most of the way its nothing but desert. We came to Baker which is the 1st town you'll come to driving from Vegas hoping to find a Bar and Grill of some sort. Most of the restaurants in Baker were fast food joints. We figured we give the Mad Greek a try, my Wife likes Grecian chicken and I like Gyros. My Wife enjoyed her chicken, her only complaint we the portion size was to big for a lunch, 1/2 a chicken. Now the billboards and signs advertised "the best Gyro in the world" so it had my attention. I did not know however that the best Gyro in the world had meat that had a desert dryness to it, and the cucumber sauce had more water in it then the entire county. I will say it was a great experience just to be back in California and have the Wife be able to say I've been. Not for the best Gyro in the world, there's a place in Kalamazoo Mi called Theo & Staceys...

3  Thank Mike M