“Milkshake time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mad Greek

The Mad Greek
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Baker
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,074 helpful votes
“Milkshake time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Made a stopover for a pitstop on the way to LA from Vegas and fill the car up at the nearby gas station. Took an opportunity to have their famed strawberry milkshakes and the place was certainly busy but we got served quickly and found a quiet corner to cool down and rest while sipping the very nice milk shake. As we had a big breakfast at the hotel we did not have anything to eat although the menu did look tempting.

Visited August 2014

• Hungarian first
New York
“An Oasis in the Mojave Desert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stopped in Baker CA on our way to Vegas. The Mad Greek is a good choice over the fast food restaurants. The huge out door thermometer is back after being refurbished and one block away. My wife and I both had Greek salads. Only problem was my wife did not order any meat on my salad. You order at a counter, then find seating, and your food is brought to you. Service is quick.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane, Australia
“so what”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Whats the fuss about . I think this place is famous for being famous. It was a hole in the middle of the desert. I could not get myself to eat here as it looked old and grotty. I did get a cup of coffee which was well .. average. There where a lot of people here eating,but I thought the prices where high and it did not look appealing to me and the gyros looked like the minced version and not real; meat . . I would probably stop by to see what the fuss is about, but really its not worth the effort if you are in a hurry.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RickX01
Riverside, California
“Got Gyro?!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stop here or at their State Line location for the best Gyro EVER! The meat is so flavorful and melts in your mouth! No road trip from CA to Las Vegas would be complete unless we stopped at the Mad Greek either coming or going. And even though the prices are probably a bit high for a roadside burger joint the food has NEVER disappointed. Don't forget some baklava...always fresh...the pistachio one is my fav!
Also open 24 hours.....

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sparta
“Wow, worth postponing your pit stop til you reach it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Authentic Greek food in....well, no offense, the middle of not much. I had the chicken gyro which featured chunks of actual chicken, not nasty slices of chicken roll, with tomatoes and sauteed onions, placed in a puffy but sort of crunchy warm pita pocket -- again, the authentic stuff, not supermarket pita. It was a meal that came with fries, and was about $9, but definitely worth the price. For dessert I chose the pistachio baklava which was outstanding -- sweet and nutty, but not overwhelmed by honey. If I'd known how good it was going to be, I would've tried to bring some home on my plane flight.

Visited July 2014